[Adventure] The Race of the Five Horns (DM: stonegod, Judge: THB)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
As Crush grumbles, a skycoach pulls up next to the gap between the local tower and its neighbors. A stocky human is at the helm and doesn't blink an eye at the group, though he does have to make some special accommodations for Spring. Once everyone is settled, though not all happily, the coach lurches forward and down.

Other flying conveyances flit about the city as the coach takes flight. The towers of Clifftop with its entrepreneurial bustle give way to the myriad religious activities of Hope's Peak. Even at a distance at the coach descends, the radiance of Citadel of the Sun shines over its neighbors. Vok smiles at the tower dedicated to his patron.

After being in the shadow of two towers for a moment, the path opens up to provide a first glimpse of Harrith's Folly. It is, at a word, chaotic. No two towers at this level are alike, with slender, twisting spirals near squat, lumbering monoliths. The coach has to take special care to avoid the tangle of ropes, wood, and other material making a latticework of additional paths through the district. Ryk and Rikka also note much more flying mounts here racing between the towers at breakneck speeds, as if at some sort of sport.

Most towers in Sharn branch and merge, but have central areas that eventually rise high above. But one in all of Sharn is different, and the group gets a view as the Hollow Tower. A massive dome at the center of a huge tower glistens in the wan light here. It's quite a sight.

Soon enough the ride ends, as the coach pulls up to a balcony near a busy street. A sign over a street vender indicates that this is 5th Tower.

As was in the tavern, Bellegon goes first immediately putting some distance between him and the coach. He ends up in the shadow and stands still, while others get off.

Once everyone is down:
"Should we think of a name for our selves? You know, team name for the competition? And who will speak for us there? As for name, we are five, of five races and five different...hm...specialties. Two nature's warriors, two warriors of the light and me in the middle. How about Five Horns?"
he grins suddenly, as if he suddenly got the inspiration for silly name.
"Any serious suggestions?"

On Puget Sound

First Post
I'm not much good at fancy talk. You may have noticed. And merchants love to see me, because I don't bargain well either. As for a name, we could name ourselves after something fast. Fast and powerful......

On the plains we sometimes get a whirling windstorm that can yank trees, people and tents into the sky. It's called a tornado. How about Tornado, or Storm, or Wind for a name? Or something with that in it, like Five Winds?

renau1g

First Post
"If we need someone to speak, I will take that role. My unwavering belief in the Host has proven to make others listen to my words. As for a team name, that is a good idea, Five Winds is a fine name." Vok replies, standing tall and proud in the street.

pacdidj

First Post
"If we need someone to speak, I will take that role. My unwavering belief in the Host has proven to make others listen to my words. As for a team name, that is a good idea, Five Winds is a fine name."

"Aye Vaerhirmana, you can speak for us. I doubt we'll have any need of the kind of persuasive speech I used to specialize in at a simple footrace," Crush answers with a sour laugh, his voice taking on a dark, hollow quality.

After a moment he brightens a bit, "It's good to be back in the comforts of civilization though. I don't believe I've ridden a skycoach since the end of the last war. The Five Winds is a good name; may our feet carry us as swift as this flying construct!" The warforged turns to peer out the window, watching the crazed latticework of towers and bridges whiz by.

"Let's find this Kavin Ballard and register fot the race. Keep in mind that the designer of Harrith's Folly, Harrith ir'Tain, supposedly went mad during the project from his inspiration. There are a few that say the configuration of the buildings have some occult significance, but they are likely mad themselves. Just keep it in mind."

pathfinderq1

First Post
Rikka spent the entire skycoach ride with her face very nearly pressed to the window, captivated not so much by the flight itself as by the view. Even once the group piled out of the coach, she kept glancing this way and that at various details of the chaotic setting. She seemed especially interested in some of the flying creatures racing back and forth between the towers- and even by the towers themselves, whose varied shapes and sizes seemed a veritable forest of stone trees...

Last edited:

On Puget Sound

First Post
I think he was mad before he started. Ryk also spent the flight looking down, imagining how he would get from there to over there in a hurry. I could jump from there and grab that line, then hand over hand to that railing, and that ornamental rockwork looks climbable. Spring is a good jumper and climber too, but he weighs more than I do. I wonder if he'll be a help or a hindrance in this race?

renau1g

First Post
"Well, it looks like we all made it ok. Let's get sign ourselves up" Vok says, leading the way, stopping to ask a 'friendly' local where 168th S. is located now that they've arrived at the 5th tower.

[sblock=ooc]
diplomacy (1d20 14=17)[/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
Rikka fell into step behind Vok as the half-elf began walking. She still had not said a word since they boarded the coach, and she continued to scan the area around them constantly. While her gaze had first been drawn here and there as each new detail emerged, now she had settled down and her attention swept the surroundings in a careful watch- it was fascinating to watch, in its own way. One moment she had been very much like a frightened rabbit, glancing everywhere, for every new sight might be a threat- the next minute she was wary and focused, a predator attuned to new hunting grounds...

OOC: More than content to let Vok take the lead in social interaction. Rikka will be a step behind him, and a half-step to his left. For now she will leave her bow cased, and her quiver capped, but she will keep one hand on the totem tucked into her belt.

Remove ads