[Adventure] The Race of the Five Horns (DM: stonegod, Judge: THB)

Bellegon keeps to shadow, barely more then one himself. Occasional sweep of the robes or startled passer-by indicate he's always close to the group. Once the group starts walking quickly, he rejoins them keeping on the side.

OOC: bump?

pacdidj

First Post
Crush clanks along just behind and to the right of Vok. Comfortable in the hustle and bustle of the city, he soon finds his swagger, dropping into an easy stroll and meeting the gaze of each passerby. A watchful observer would note however, that he rests one hand loosely on his sword hilt at all times.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Taking a moment to orient themselves, the group soon fines themselves outside of 168th S. 5th Tower. The address is part of a more traditional looking Tower and seems to do with businesses having relations with the Hollow Tower. A brass sign indicates the business of "Master Kavin Ballard, Esq.".

The inside of the tower is tastefully decorated in Old Galifar style. The entrance opens into a waiting area that is mostly empty. Two dwarves are leaving as you arrive, holding some pieces of papers. Possibly tickets or wagers on the event. At the far end, on the other side of a window, is a gnome focusing on some paperwork. He glances casually as the group enters but returns to work.

Vok first spots a posting near the entrance. It details wagering and ticketing information first. Near the end, it discusses participation. Nothing immediately jumps out upon reading ("Participant will be entirely responsible for any injuries and the Sponsor will not be held liable for any damage or fatality" and other legalese) but one phrase does catch attention: "Participant will be responsible for completing an Application Form and paying the requested Fee. Said Fee will not be less than 100 Galifars per Team."

Last edited:

On Puget Sound

First Post
Ryk digs into his pouch and pulls out 55 gold coins. He shows them to his companions, shrugs and puts them back. I can cover my share, and perhaps assist if one of you is short.

pathfinderq1

First Post
As the group entered the building, Rikka paused just inside the door and took a look around. Her eyes narrowed as she looked over the dwarves who were leaving, and then she moved forward into the waiting area. Once inside, she found a convenient place to sit and dropped into a comfortable crouch, content to wait while Vok handled the negotiations.

As Ryk displayed his gold, Rikka simply shook her head and blew out a soft puff of air. "Thought we were supposed to win money, not give it up..."

Drow shakes his head too
"I traveled here from Droaam, long way without civilization. What little funds I had, I spent traveling and even more once I got here."

"I'm willing to reinburse any who would cover the cost for me. Or rather, for us, since we won't be competing if there is no group, right? Limited size group might be quicker..." - he looks at ranger and druidess - "...but might find itself lacking in certain areas."

pacdidj

First Post
Crush gazes at the posting for a while, his gaze held by the ominous disclaimer. "I'm sure this race will prove an experience worth far more than a handful of coin. I have 50 Galifars I can spare to cover our entrance fee."

renau1g

First Post
Vok brings the form back and after informing the group about the entrance fee, the others begin their offers of gold.

"Ok, before we go handing over 100 coins to them, let me just see if there's a prize for winning." the half-elf announces as he heads over to the gnome with the paperwork.

Vok clears his throat and looks at the gnome, "Ah, excuse me good sir, could I have but a minute of time. Myself, and my friends" he says gesturing to the others, "were interested in particiapiting in the race, but were wondering if there was a prize for the winner?" Vok asks, hoping the gnome will listen.

[sblock=ooc]
diplomacy (1d20 14=19) *sigh*

IC owes Vok some good luck in the future, a 3, 5, & 6 so far...
[/sblock]

stonegod

As the group determines how they will pay for their entry, Rikka spots the Inquisitive article about the race:
3 Zol, Barrakas, 998 YK—Sharn

Race of the Five Horns Announced!
Fame and Fortune for the Fearless in the Folly!

Lord Staforth ir'Haran of Starilsakur today announced an upcoming celebration of the 7th anniversary of the famed 'Assault of Aruldusk' led by his cousin Lord Dornal ir'Haran of the 16th Swords of Vathirond. The celebration will consist of a set of challenges tied together by a challenging footrace over the demented terrain of ropes, skewed skybridges, and precipitous drops known as Harrith's Folly.

As we all know, Dornal lead only a small team through the tangled streets of Aruldusk, using speed, cunning, and skill to overcome its surprised garrison, Lord Staforth declared in announcing the games. His small band held the city for three days before being driven out by a much larger force. It is in this memory that we have set up this challenge as a celebration of a true Brelish hero!

Lord Dornal ir'Haran will be in Sharn during the festivities due to being awarded an honorary degree and speaking at Morgrave University's commencement.

Interested parties for tickets, bets, or participation can contact Master Kavin Ballard, 168th S. 5th Tower, Harrith's Folly, Middle Dura.
The group ponders what they know.[sblock=Common Knowledge]Aruldusk is a city on in Thrane a bit from the Brelish border. It was not significantly impacted by the Last War; this 'Attack' must have done little lasting harm.[/sblock][sblock=Vok or History 10]Alliances shifted dramaticaly during the War. During the period around the attack, Thrane and Breland were not openly hostile, but not allied either.[/sblock][sblock=Vok or History 15]The ir'Haran family's lands are mostly out of Starilaskur, a trade city on the lightning rail in north-east Breland. ir'Haran's interest is largely in shipping and other trade ventures. Lord Dornal was, before his military success, a minor member of the House.[/sblock][sblock=History 20]Lord Dornal received several decorations and some additional granted lands after the Last War for his service. Besides the feat of the 'Attack' (notable for its speed and small force), little else distinguishes his service.[/sblock][sblock=Crush]Crush is aware that there was some hush-hush Cyran activities near Aruldusk around the time of the Assault of Aruldusk. He is not aware of the details, but command was irked by the Brelish attack.[/sblock][sblock=OOC]Let me know when you have officially decided who is paying what (and indicate it on your sheet for later)[/sblock]

Last edited:

stonegod

Vok clears his throat and looks at the gnome, "Ah, excuse me good sir, could I have but a minute of time. Myself, and my friends" he says gesturing to the others, "were interested in particiapiting in the race, but were wondering if there was a prize for the winner?" Vok asks, hoping the gnome will listen.
The gnome raises an eye at Vok, then continues writing. As he does so, he responds mater-factly, There will be awards in multiple categories from Best Overall to awards for individual stages. Participation costs go to help defray such expenses. Will you be registering as an official sponsored team or individual sponsor?[sblock=Insight 13]The gnome does not care one way or the other if you enter or not. He's got a job to do and he's doing it.[/sblock]

Remove ads