• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: Three Queens in Allaria (DM: BenBrown, Judge: Covaithe)

rb780nm

First Post
Sound of Stone leaps towards the bridge, his insectile legs moving fast enough that they almost blur. His mandibles clatter in some sort of insectoid tongue.

Thri'kreen
OOC:
"Fellow Insectoids. Why do you attack this structure?"

OOC:

Not expecting them to understand/respond, but it seemed in character for Sound of Stone to try to talk to other large insects.

Move to H27

BenBrown

First Post
GM: Bluesfella, go ahead and post both your surprise round and regular actions, since everyone else has resolved their surprise rounds already.

bluesfella

Explorer
Zardi runs up next to Sound of Stone and studies the ants for a moment. He asks the Thri-Kreen "Do you think they will listen to you?"[sblock=Surprise Round Actions]Move to I26
Nature check: Nature check (1d20+6=25)[/sblock]After a brief moment, he can tell the ants are not responding to Sound of Stone, so he rushes forward into battle. "I'll take the big one on the right!"

He hits the big ant hard, nearly killing it. He attempts a backswing hit to finish it off, but his balance is thrown off by the rocking bridge, and it doesn't connect.
[sblock=Actions]Move: H22
Standard: Howling Strike vs. Bulky Ant 1 (1d20+10=30, 1d12+1d6+6=17) CRIT! for 37 damage
Crit damage roll = Fey Strike Greataxe Crit Damage (1d12+1d6=13) + 24=37
Free: Rampage (Critical hit grants free MBA) MBA vs. Bulky Ant 1 (1d20+10=13, 1d12+6=16) Miss![/sblock][sblock=Zardi's Stats]Zardi Male Goliath Barbarian 4
Initiative: +2, Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 12, Senses: Normal
AC:19, Fort:19, Reflex:12, Will:14
HP:54/54, Bloodied:27, Surge Value:13, Surges left:11/11
Speed:5
Action Points: 1
bm.gif
Fey Strike Greataxe +10 vs. AC; 1d12+6 damage
br.gif
Throwing Hammer: +9 vs AC, 1d6+5 damage
Howling Strike
Pressing Strike
Rageblood Vigor
Rampage

Stone's Endurance
Great Cleave
Combat Sprint
Swift Charge
Blood Strike

Bloodhunt Rage

Conditions:

Equipment Specials:
Acrobat Boots (Stand up from Prone as Minor action)
Bold Victory Chainmail +1 (When you or an ally within 5 bloodies an enemy, gain +2 to AC until EONT, Free action)
Fey Strike Greataxe +1 (Make MBA as a ranged 20 attack, Standard action)
Fey Strike Teleport (Free action, hit an enemy with this weapon, can teleport enemy up to 10 squares to an adjacent square)

Full Sheet: Zardi[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
Sven moves forward, raising his crossbow.
[sblock=ooc]Surprise round: Sven moves to J31.

Tyris and Sound of Stone should now take regular actions[/sblock]

rb780nm

First Post
OOC: Sound of Stone will move to the other frontline ant and use open the gates of battle, thri kreen claws on him. I'll edit in fluff and rolls when I'm at my computer.

Sound of Stone's clattering turns into a shriek as he sprints towards the ants. Planting his spear in the ground, he launches himself into a kick that strikes the insect's head, cracking the exoskeleton. Landing, he lashes out with his claws, striking both the large insects in the front row.

OOC:
Move: I26
Standard: Open Gates of Battle on J27: 22 vs Ref, Hit 21 Damage
Free: Flurry of Blows, 6 More Damage
Minor: Thri-kreen claws on J27 and H27: 17, 28 vs AC: Hits for 15 damage each

Go glass hammer! Hopefully someone is ready to heal me ;)

Open Gates of Battle (J27), damage, Claws (J27), Claws (H27), Damage (1d20+8=22, 3d10+6=21, 1d20+10=17, 1d20+10=28, 8+7=)

[sblock=Quick Stats]Sound of Stone, Thri-kreen Monk 4 Speaks in Lime Italics HP39/39 Temp HP 0 ,

Initiative
+7 AC 22, Fort 16, Reflex 19, Will 16 AP 1, Surges 8/8 Centered Flurry of Blows, Crane's Wings, Five Storms, Thri-kreen Claws, Open the Gates of Battle, Twin Thunders, Steel Avalanche, Supreme Flurry,
Special:

Wiki page: http://l4w.wikia.com/wiki/PC:SoundofStone_(rb780nm)

[/sblock]

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
Sound of Stone's claws cut deep into the ant that Zardi hit, and send it crashing to the ground, dead.

GM: [MENTION=6676620]VanderLegion[/MENTION], just waiting for you now. Will NPC you if I hear nothing by tomorrow at about 5:00 Pacific time.

VanderLegion

First Post
Tyris moves in to join the others in combat, swapping out his garrote for his bladed weapons as he does so, then stabs at one of the ants.[sblock="actions"]Move: to J23
Free: Swap Garrote for Rapier
Minor: Draw Dagger
Standard: MBA vs Bulky Ant 2 - 1d20+9=19 Hits for 11 damage (same link), slide the target 1 square to K21 (ki focus), saving throw - 1d20+5=17 (forgot the +5 in the roll in the link), saves falling over the edge, falls prone in his square instead.[/sblock][sblock="Stats"]Tyris Male Shade Executioner
Initiative: +5, Passive perception: 18, Passive Insight: 13, Senses: Darkvision

Defenses:
AC: 19, Fort: 14, Reflex: 17, Will: 17

Vitality
HP: 21/29, Bloodied: 14, Surge Value: 7, Surges Left: 5/7
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: unused

Languages:
Allarian

Basic Attacks:
Melee Basic Attack: +8 vs AC - Rapier 1d8+4
Ranged Basic Attack: +8 vs AC - Dagger 1d4+4

Powers:
At-Will: Garrote Strangle, Poisoned Dagger, Quick Lunge, One With Shadow, Silent Stalker
Encounter: Assassin's Strike
Item: Id Moss Powder (0/0), Bloodroot Poison (1/1), Skald's Leather Armor

Weapons:
1 Rapier: 1d8 (Main Hand)
6 Daggers: 1d4 (Off hand)
1 Garrote: 1d4

Conditions:

Attack Finesse: 1/turn deal 1d8/2d8/3d8 (by tier) extra dmg with a weapon attack using a one-handed weapon, garrote, blowgun, or shortbow.
Quick Swap: 1/turn draw or stow a weapon as a free action, then draw another weapon
Two-Weapon Defense: +1 bonus to AC and Reflex when holding a weapon in each hand.
Multiclass(Cutthroat): Bluff check to cause diversion to hide is a minor instead of a standard action.[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
GM: I'm going to make some assumptions about where the PCs end up. rb780nm had Sound of Stone in I26 attacking creatures in J27 and H27, but they're not in J27 and H27 but rather in J21 and H21. I'm going to assume Sound of Stone is in I22, since he can't move farther than that without taking at least one OA.

With Tyris, J23 works if he's doing Quick Lunge but he'd have to be in J22 if it's going to be an MBA as written, so I'll go with the latter. This isn't going to change the results of this round either way apart from a bit of minor positioning.

Also, feel free to narrate when you kill an enemy. That's why I've got the HP in the combat stat blocks.
Tyris's blow fells the other bulky ant, but the second line of ants is ready to move up. The one on the right lunges at Zardi, its mandibles snapping. It fails to push him off the bridge, but manages to knock the big barbarian down. The second ant, seizing this opportunity rushes up and puts a painful bite on Zardi.[sblock=Enemy Actions]Big Mandible Ant 3
Move: to H21
Standard: Snap vs. Zardi: 13(1d20) +8 = 21; 5(1d8) +6 = 11 Zardi is pushed to G23. Zardi Save vs. pushed over edge: 8(1d20) +5 = 13. Save successful, Zardi drops prone.

Big Mandible Ant 4
Move: to J21
Standard: Bite vs. Zardi: 3(1d20) +8 = 11; 8(1d8) +4(1d6) +6 = 18

Big Mandible Ant 1
Standard: Chew on Bridge

Big Mandible Ant 2

Small Ant 1

Small Ant 2

Small Ant 3

Small Ant 4

Small Ant 5

Small Ant 6
Standard: Chew on Bridge[/sblock][sblock=map]
CapadecolBridgeRound1.gif

Brush (green areas) provide cover and concealment.
Trees (big brown circles) are impassible, and can provide cover.
The river is flowing from south (bottom of map) to north.[/sblock][sblock=status]Pharodeys K36 36/36, surges 9/9, AP unused, second wind unused
Sound of Stone I22 39/39, surges 8/8, AP unused, second wind unused
Spider E34 45/45, surges 10/10, AP unused, second wind unused
Tyris J22 34/34, surges 7/7, AP unused, second wind unused
Zardi H22 25/54, surges 11/11, AP unused, second wind unused, prone

Sven J31 36/36

Small Ant 1 J12 No Damage Taken, chewed on bridge
Small Ant 2 H12 No Damage Taken, chewed on bridge
Small Ant 3 J14 No Damage Taken, chewed on bridge
Small Ant 4 H14 No Damage Taken, chewed on bridge
Small Ant 5 J16 No Damage Taken, chewed on bridge
Small Ant 6 H16 No Damage Taken, chewed on bridge
Bulky Ant 1 H21 0/46, dead
Bulky Ant 2 J21 0/46, dead
Big Mandible Ant 1 H10 No Damage Taken, chewed on bridge
Big Mandible Ant 2 J10 No Damage Taken, chewed on bridge
Big Mandible Ant 3 H21 No Damage Taken, Snap used
Big Mandible Ant 4 I21 No Damage Taken

Bridge Status 12/12[/sblock][sblock=Controlling Sven]Any PC can take a standard, move, or minor action to have an NPC perform an action of the same (or a lesser) type. E.g., if you want Sven to use use his crossbow, you spend a standard action. If you want him to move, you spend a move action. An NPC is limited to the usual number of actions each round (but those actions need not all be granted by the same PC). An NPC who has an immediate action can likewise only use it if a PC has an immediate action available to use on his/her behalf.

NPCs can take free actions and opportunity actions normally, without the direction of PCs. They are always considered to have their weapons in hand and don’t need to spend actions unsheathing them.

If Sven has used his crossbow and has any actions left he will, without prompting, use a minor action to reload. If he is out of range of any targets, and has not been given any orders this round, he will move so that he is in range.[/sblock][sblock=Sven]Sven
HP 36/36, Bloodied 18, Surge value 9
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 11
AC 15, Fort 15, Ref 16, Will 14
Skills: Nature +7, Perception +7
Speed 6
:branged: crossbow +10 vs. AC; 1d8+6 (range 15/30)
[/sblock][sblock=Bridge Challenge!]The ants are trying to destroy the bridge. It is up to Our Heroes to stop them. If an ant spends two standard actions to attack the bridge, it will do one point of damage to the bridge. Our Heroes, in addition to killing ants, can repair the bridge by using the following skills/actions:

Spot the Weak Points
Nature 14 or Perception 14 (Minor action)
This does not directly help repair the bridge, but will provide a +2 bonus to the next check to repair the bridge.

Tie Off Loose Ends
Nature 14 or Thievery 14 (Minor action)
You must be adjacent to one of the sides of the bridge to perform this action.
Putting a knot in a frayed rope will keep the bridge standing a while longer, repairing 1 point of damage.

Hold it Together
Athletics 14 (Standard action)
Grasping the broken strands, a feat of strength pulls them back, repairing 2 points of damage.

Instant Knot
Athletics 21 or Nature 21 (Minor action]
Tie an ugly not, quicker than the eye can see, repairing 2 points of damage.

Get the Gang Involved
Bluff 14 or Intimidate 14 (Minor action)
Direct the cart drivers to help shore up the bridge supports.
This can only be done once for the upstream side of the bridge and once for the downstream side.
NB: the cart drivers are entirely virtual for this purpose, taking up no space and suffering no attacks. The action can not be done if an ant is adjacent to the post on the side where the cart drivers are going to work (G25 or K25).

When the bridge is down to half its damage capacity, it is easier to fall off the bridge.
When the bridge has taken 12 damage points, it collapses into the chasm.[/sblock][sblock=Falling off the Bridge]If forced movement would take you off the bridge, the following happens.

1) Roll to avoid being pushed over the edge as per normal. If the bridge has taken less than half its damage capacity, take a +5 bonus to this saving throw.

2) If you are pushed off the edge, make a DC 14 Athletics or Acrobatics roll to hang on. If you hang on, you are dangling from the bridge in the space into which you were pushed. As a move action, you can move up to 2 squares along the edge of the bridge, or you can climb back on as a move action. You grant Combat Advantage, and are at -5 to attacks while dangling.

If the bridge takes enough damage to break, everybody on the bridge must make a DC 14 Athletics or Acrobatics roll to hang on. Other things will happen then, which I will not go into detail on at the moment.

Anyone who does not hang on in either case, takes 2d10 falling damage from landing in the water, and is swept out of the fight.[/sblock][sblock=Enemy Stats]Please read the appropriate "combat stats" block(s) only when necessary to resolve attacks or OAs. The blocks with the skill names on them are for monster knowledge checks.

Small Ants
[sblock=combat stats]AC: 16 Fort: 14 Ref: 15 Will: 13
HP: 1
:bmelee: Bite +7 vs. AC; 5 damage
Athletics +3[/sblock][sblock=Nature 13]Red Ant Worker
Small Natural Beast
Level 2 Minion[sblock=Nature 20]The Red Ant Worker has no special attacks[/sblock][/sblock]

Bulky Ants
[sblock=combat stats]AC: 15 Fort: 17 Ref: 15 Will: 13
HP: 46
:bmelee: Bite +8 vs. AC; 1d10+8 damage
Athletics +4[/sblock][sblock=Nature 13]Red Ant Forager
Medium Natural Beast
Level 3 Brute[sblock=Nature 21]The Red Ant Forager has two encounter powers. Acid Squirt, which is a ranged area burst attack, and Skitter, which allows the Forager to shift 4 squares as a move action.[/sblock][/sblock]

Big Mandible Ants
[sblock=combat stats]AC: 17 Fort: 15 Ref: 17 Will: 13
HP: 38
:bmelee: Bite +8 vs. AC; 1d8+6 damage, +1d6 damage if the ant has Combat Advantage
Athletics +3[/sblock][sblock=Nature 13]Red Ant Harvester
Medium Natural Beast
Level 3 Skirmisher[sblock=Nature 21]The Red Ant Harvester has an encounter attack power: Snap, which allows it to shift two squares, then make an attack which does damage and pushes the target one square.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]
GM: Another clearer map below

Capadecol Bridge Round 1.gif

Last edited:

VanderLegion

First Post
GM: With Tyris, J23 works if he's doing Quick Lunge but he'd have to be in J22 if it's going to be an MBA as written, so I'll go with the latter.
OOC: Nope. Transcendent Ki Focus increases reach with melee attacks using the Ki Focus by 1. Ki Focuses can be used to enhance weapon attacks instead of using a magic weapon. Therefore, MBA from 2 squares away. You're really gonna love it when I get to use my garrote with it :devil:

BenBrown

First Post
OOC: Nope. Transcendent Ki Focus increases reach with melee attacks using the Ki Focus by 1. Ki Focuses can be used to enhance weapon attacks instead of using a magic weapon. Therefore, MBA from 2 squares away. You're really gonna love it when I get to use my garrote with it :devil:
GM: Alas, if that were accurate, it would be cool, but here's what the text of the item says:

"Properties:
Reaching (You gain +1 reach with melee attacks using a reaching implement.)."

I think that just means if you've got an implement that already has reach, its reach is increased. The wording is a little weird.

Remove ads