Adventure: Three Queens in Allaria (DM: BenBrown, Judge: Covaithe)

VanderLegion

First Post
GM: Alas, if that were accurate, it would be cool, but here's what the text of the item says:

"Properties:
Reaching (You gain +1 reach with melee attacks using a reaching implement.)."

I think that just means if you've got an implement that already has reach, its reach is increased. The wording is a little weird.
OOC: That's just how a lot of the properties on superior implements are worded.
For example, on a fluid ki focus:
Mobile (When you hit with an attack using a mobile implement, you can shift as a minor action before the end of your turn.).
Shielding (Whenever you hit at least one target with an attack power using a shielding implement, you gain a +1 shield bonus to AC and Reflex until the start of your next turn.).

Energized Ki Focus:
Energized (force) (When you use an attack power through an energized implement, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls if the power has the keyword that matches the implement’s damage type. The bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level.).
Unstoppable (You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls against Fortitude when attacking with an unstoppable implement.).

"Using a reaching implement" just means using an implement that has the reaching property (as the transcendent ki focus has)

Also, searching the compendium I don't see any magical ki focuses that have reach for it to make any sense to add an additional +1 to the reach of a focus that already has it.

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: Not a judge, but hopefully I can clear up the rules a bit.

BenBrown is correct, the reaching property does not work, but not for the reason he thinks it does.

PH3, p 195: "A superior implement's properties apply only to attacks made with the implement. They affect only implement powers, even if an implement can be used as a weapon."

Since your MBA is a weapon attack, the properties of the superior ki focus do not apply.

BenBrown

First Post
GM: VanderLegion: Okay, I'll buy that. I got a little thrown by that since there seems to be no general case--Transcendent Ki Focus appears to be the only implement with this property. Nonetheless, Son of Meepo is correct, and this doesn't work with an MBA. Here's to interesting attacks going forward.

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: Superior ki foci are mostly meant for monks to use as all their attacks are implement powers. Assassins have a mix of implement and weapon powers, so they can get some, but not optimal use out of it. But executioners don't have a lot that they can use a superior implement for.

Tenchuu

First Post
OOC: Free Action: direct others to move.

BB: Since the boots of adept charging let me shift 1 square after the end of my charge, does that mean I can charge into a square occupied by an ally, as long as I can shift from there to an open square?

"Outta da whey! 'ere come da chargin' spidah!!!" Jarro yelled at the top of his lungs.

BenBrown

First Post
GM: Tenchuu: I think because you'd end up making the attack from a square occupied by someone else that you can't do that.

Mewness

First Post
Pharodeys moves forward more rapidly. Her attention is fixed on the smaller ants at the center, though nothing as yet seems to be happening as a result. She stops suddenly at the edge of the bridge, actually freezing in place, as though she has truly become inanimate stone, and at the same time a translucent shape emerges from her form. It looks like a large, round fish with feathered crests instead of fins, and it floats contentedly in the air above Sound of Stone's head, upside-down.

Zardi feels a warmth pass through his body, easing pain and closing wounds.

[sblock=actions]Double move to J25.

Minor: healing spirit on Zardi. He can spend a surge.

Free: Murmur appears in J22, directly above Sound of Stone. (May as well grant save bonuses in case anyone else gets knocked near the edge.)[/sblock]
[sblock=Important: Spirit Effects]A reminder of the effects that the spirit (Murmur) has on combat. The first three are important to players.

• Allies gain a +2 bonus to saves while adjacent to Murmur.
• Murmur occupies 1 square. Allies can move through its space but enemies cannot.
• Any enemy that leaves a square adjacent to Murmur without shifting is subject to an opportunity attack (the Spirit’s Wrath power: +6 vs Reflex, 1d6+5 damage, and the target grants CA until the end of Pharodeys’s next turn).
• Murmur has the same defense values as Pharodeys and can be targeted by melee and ranged attacks.
• If a single melee or ranged attack deals 11 or more damage to Murmur, the spirit disappears and Pharodeys takes 6 damage. Murmur is otherwise unaffected by attacks.
• When Pharodeys takes a move action, she can move Murmur up to 6 squares as well.
• If Murmur is not present at the start of Pharodeys’s turn, she can summon it once during her turn as a free action.
• Murmur is unaffected by terrain and environmental phenomena and can float in the air.
• Murmur is not a creature. It does not count as an ally and does not provoke opportunity attacks.[/sblock]
[sblock=Pharodeys]Pharodeys Female Human Living Statue Shaman 3
Initiative: +0, Passive Perception: 20, Passive Insight: 20, Senses: Normal
AC:18, Fort:14, Reflex:15, Will:16; Resist 5 psychic
HP:36/36, Bloodied:18, Surge Value:9, Surges left:9/9
Action Points: 1
:bmelee: totemic javelin +4 vs. AC; 1d6+1 damage
:branged: totemic javelin +4 vs. AC; 1d6+1 damage
Call Spirit Companion, Spirit’s Wrath, Spirit Infusion, Word of Battle
[o] Scorching Sands
[o] Sly Fox Spirit
[o] Dimensional Scramble
[o] Cast Fortune
[o] Shard Swarm
[o] Speak with Spirits
[x] [o] Healing Spirit
[o] Second Wind

[o] Spirit of the Healing Flood
[o] Spirit of the Great Cat
[o] Skald’s Armor Daily

Conditions:

Full sheet: Pharodeys[/sblock]

VanderLegion

First Post
OOC: Not a judge, but hopefully I can clear up the rules a bit.

BenBrown is correct, the reaching property does not work, but not for the reason he thinks it does.

PH3, p 195: "A superior implement's properties apply only to attacks made with the implement. They affect only implement powers, even if an implement can be used as a weapon."

Since your MBA is a weapon attack, the properties of the superior ki focus do not apply.
OOC: Huh, hadn't seen that before. That's sad :(. In that case [MENTION=1642]BenBrown[/MENTION], yah, just have me end in J22 instead.
OOC: Superior ki foci are mostly meant for monks to use as all their attacks are implement powers. Assassins have a mix of implement and weapon powers, so they can get some, but not optimal use out of it. But executioners don't have a lot that they can use a superior implement for.
OOC: Yah, executioners don't have ANY implement powers, so I guess I'll be retraining that feat next level...at least the ki focus itself can still be useful cause I can apply the enhancements to any of my other weapons as opposed to having 3 separate melee weapons and I can still use the property/daily on the Abduction Ki Focus, just not as useful as I was planning... I originally found the item on my hybrid Monk/Assassin that uses all implement attacks, so never had reason to find out if worked with weapon attacks.

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
OOC: Yah, executioners don't have ANY implement powers, so I guess I'll be retraining that feat next level...at least the ki focus itself can still be useful cause I can apply the enhancements to any of my other weapons as opposed to having 3 separate melee weapons and I can still use the property/daily on the Abduction Ki Focus, just not as useful as I was planning... I originally found the item on my hybrid Monk/Assassin that uses all implement attacks, so never had reason to find out if worked with weapon attacks.
GM: If you want to swap the item out after this combat (or get a refund at full price) I'm not going to complain.

VanderLegion

First Post
GM: If you want to swap the item out after this combat (or get a refund at full price) I'm not going to complain.
OOC: As I said, I'll probably keep the item itself, I still benefit from having the magic ki focus and the magical effects, just not the superior implement properties, and if I understand correctly I can still use the superior ki focus without the feat, I just don't get the superior properties correct? Otherwise, I'd probably be perfectly happy to jsut swap it out for a regular Abduction Ki Focus

Remove ads