Adventure Time TTRPG Drops "Yes And" System, Switches To 5E

Changed made based on feedback from fans.

IMG_7692.jpeg

When the Adventure Time roleplaying game was announced back in June, it was going to be using a brand new RPG system called the "Yes And" system, which involved dice which had Yes and No on one die, and things like And or But on the other.

However, publisher Cryptozoic Entertainment has recently indicated that, following fan feedback, the upcoming Kickstarter will now be powered by 5E instead. The update was included last week as part of the FAQ in its current Adventure Time card game Kickstarter.

Has Adventure Time: The Roleplaying Game changed since you announced it a few months ago?

Yes, we made the decision to make it a 5e experience, based on feedback from fans. That doesn’t mean the game shown at Gen Con earlier this year won’t be released too, but the main offering in the upcoming Kickstarter will be the 5e RPG.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This is literally just making it so you experience for doing the silly stupid things that Jake and Finn get into.
Yes. That's what people have been trying to explain to you, and you have been mocking people for, for 14 pages now.

And it also means that "just make it a D&D setting" doesn't work, and would never work without mechanical changes, as has repeatedly been said.

Yes. That's what people have been trying to explain to you, and you have been mocking people for, for 14 pages now.

And it also means that "just make it a D&D setting" doesn't work, and would never work without mechanical changes, as has repeatedly been said.
The complaints still make no sense. Obviously they are going to make mechanical changes. Why complain about this for 14 pages??? You really thought it would be raw 5e?

Btw if you see my earlier posts, youll see I was talking about making mechanical changes. It is absurd to think you guys have complaines for 14 pages as if mechanical changes were not happening and would not happen. You basically imagined the worst possible version of the product and decided to spend 14 pages bemoaning it

Speaking of such, does anyone know how well Doctors and Daleks sold??

Player's Guide made Best Electrum Seller on DTRPG. Alien Archive (Monster Manual) and "The Keys of Scaravore" made Copper. No idea on physical sales, though.

I'm surprised the Manual did worse, I presumed more people were going brag this to throw Daleks and Weeping Angels at their Forgotten Realms parties. Just me (as if I have a group)?

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/348180/

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Player's Guide made Best Electrum Seller on DTRPG. Alien Archive (Monster Manual) and "The Keys of Scaravore" made Copper. No idea on physical sales, though.

I'm surprised the Manual did worse, I presumed more people were going brag this to throw Daleks and Weeping Angels at their Forgotten Realms parties. Just me (as if I have a group)?

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/348180/
As someone very interested in all things Doctor Who, I can tell you why. At least for me. It sold less because: 1) Daleks and Weeping Angels are in the core book; 2) it’s only got 60-some monsters in it; 3) it’s overpriced at $23 for a PDF, and; 4) the Doctors & Daleks Player’s Guide already details exactly how to run any and every monster the Doctor and Co could possibly encounter. All you need is to have watched an episode with the monster in, read an article on it, or make it up. All the mechanics you need are in the core book.

aramis erak

Legend
Same. I’ve never met any player that obsesses over optimal play, or feels punished by the system when they do something like spending their turn freaking out because their best friend just got ganked in front of them.
Consider yourself lucky. I've met many. Then again, my sample size is around 300 to 400... over the last 42 years. I quit counting after 250...

aramis erak

Legend
I've seen two full episodes and a number of partials of Adventure Time.
I don't care for it. I don't hate it, either, nor want to see it banished - but I'm not their target audience.

What I've seen really does NOT look like D&D; it looks kind of like a drug addled story recount as interpreted by someone on serious psychadelics...
D&D's mechanics just don't lend themselves to the surrealist tone.

That said, a fairly competent GM can usually use almost any set of mechanics for almost any setting if the players are willing to buy in.
Novice GMs, however, can benefit a lot from mechanics which reinforce the tone and setting tropes.
Low skill GMs, even if lots of experience, also benefit from such support.
Players in a group unfamiliar with the setting also often benefit from mechanics supporting the tropes and tone.

So, while D&D could, stock, handle much of the action, an adapted D&D core is better than just a setting book... if it increases support for the tone and tropes that do differ.

A fully custom RPG could probably be a better fit... but sell fewer copies.

The path they seem to be taking seems likely to be in the financial best interests of the companies involved.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What I've seen really does NOT look like D&D; it looks kind of like a drug addled story recount as interpreted by someone on serious psychadelics...
D&D's mechanics just don't lend themselves to the surrealist tone.
First point, yes, it is Erol Otus the cartoon.

Second point, not my experience of D&D. A friend dripped in on our 3.5 hame once, and described it as feeling like a Tolkien character who found themselves in a Joseph Conrad novel. D&D can get very surreal, and the mechanics do not get in the waynof thst at all.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Consider yourself lucky. I've met many. Then again, my sample size is around 300 to 400... over the last 42 years. I quit counting after 250...
To clarify, I probably have met some, but they’ve never failed to get the hint from the rest of the table that we aren’t playing that game.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads