Valiant Adventures Superhero TTRPG Coming From Green Ronin

Mutants & Masterminds powered standalone game coming to Kickstarter in January.

dce883f8137b05e50a6ee74f4719ddfb_original.jpeg

Green Ronin has announced that it's Mutants & Masterminds-powered superhero RPG, Valiant Adventures, will be hitting Kickstarter on January 16th.

The game was originally announced in April 2023, and will be a standalone RPG based on the Valiant comic book universe, which features characters such as X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Harbinger, Shadowman, and Archer & Armstrong. The initial launch will include three books--Valiant Adventures Hero’s Handbook, Gamemaster’s Kit, and the Worlds of Valiant sourcebook.

So is this 5E compatible? I haven’t followed the Tales of Valiant playtests/release news very closely, but didn’t realize there were already other products underway.

Von Ether

Legend
No, it's powered by the Mutants & Masterminds system.
Which a great system, but also is a case study of how gamers will learn additional rules to the point they've learned a new game as compared to getting them to learn a new game.

For those who do not know, Mutants and Masterminds is an amazing spin on 3.5 that changes core concepts of the game. There are no HP, using a Damage Save instead and Levels are more about the power level of the character vs advancement. And character builds are point buy.

I think in the latest edition they finally got rid of feats but I could be wrong.

As a value add, it's evident in the writing and GM advice the team has a strong love of comic books.

1703264773538.png

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Hang on, what happened to the Valiant Universe RPG from Catalyst Game Labs?
Just guessing, but considering I never see it come up in the many discussions about superhero RPGs here and other fora, I can only imagine it didn't sell very well.

My experience with it was that it was a decent read, but I never got it to the table to test it out. And the weird musical chairs GM thing was certainly a choice: it would never fly at my table, and I'm not sure what it added to the game in general, as it didn't seem to be too heavily integrated into things. All in all, it felt a bit like the diceless Marvel Universe RPG: it swung for the fences, but was a bit too much of a leap to catch on with the crowd that is most vocal about superhero RPGs.

Von Ether

Legend
Just guessing, but considering I never see it come up in the many discussions about superhero RPGs here and other fora, I can only imagine it didn't sell very well.

My experience with it was that it was a decent read, but I never got it to the table to test it out. And the weird musical chairs GM thing was certainly a choice: it would never fly at my table, and I'm not sure what it added to the game in general, as it didn't seem to be too heavily integrated into things. All in all, it felt a bit like the diceless Marvel Universe RPG: it swung for the fences, but was a bit too much of a leap to catch on with the crowd that is most vocal about superhero RPGs.
I know for my crowd the random d20 roll to establish a target number and avoid having a GM make the call was a hard pass.

Remove ads

Remove ads