• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventurer Base Class

Sylrae

First Post
Thanks for the compliments and advice claudius. IS the Planar Adventurer good as is or do they need a bit of a boost. I was considering giving them some sort of ehtereal jaunt or etherealness at lower levels, but wasn't sure if that would be too powerful.

And the Gate is like the spell, having no miss chance. but thats why it uses 2 uses of plane shift.

Also I should note, that they get plane shift at 7, at which point theyre still a level off of being able to use it more than once per day.

I thought that specialization handy, since there have been a number of times I wanted a plane shifting character but really didnt want a spellcaster type. :)

The planar adventurer gets the planar abilities a bit earlier than a wizard, but then, thats pretty much all hes there for. :p And in a campaign where plane shifting is useful, well having gate as a 9th level spell is too high anyways. I was shocked to see thats what it was. I thought it was like 6th or 7th lol

Last edited:

Claudius Gaius

First Post
Well, they are fairly high-powered effects to get in absolute terms, but their utility is relatively limited in a lot of settings.

If there are hospitable planes about with useful resources or things to trade, then it's quite powerful (I once had a lot of fun with a 2'nd edition psionic merchant character who specialized in gateways and other commercially-useful powers)

If the planes are just another set of dangerous places to adventure in, then they are a bit weak: characters will find dangerous adventures anywhere they go anyway - and most of them will be closer to support. In this case you might want to let them extend the benefits of their Attunement ability to everyone they brought along via Plane Shift or Gate. That way a relatively low-level party can do some planar adventuring on the more inherently-hostile planes.

Sylrae

First Post
Claudius Gaius said:
Well, they are fairly high-powered effects to get in absolute terms, but their utility is relatively limited in a lot of settings.

If there are hospitable planes about with useful resources or things to trade, then it's quite powerful (I once had a lot of fun with a 2'nd edition psionic merchant character who specialized in gateways and other commercially-useful powers)

If the planes are just another set of dangerous places to adventure in, then they are a bit weak: characters will find dangerous adventures anywhere they go anyway - and most of them will be closer to support. In this case you might want to let them extend the benefits of their Attunement ability to everyone they brought along via Plane Shift or Gate. That way a relatively low-level party can do some planar adventuring on the more inherently-hostile planes.

I like this suggestion. I'll add it in.

Remove ads