• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventurer's Vault] Problematic Items

kerbarian

Explorer
Voidcrystal Weapon is fairly powerful, but I just noticed something that makes it even moreso. It's restricted to "Any melee", but that includes thrown weapons. So you could hit someone with a voidcrystal javelin up to 20 squares away, make them miss a round of combat, and then have them reappear right next to you and all of your melee buddies.

Likewise, you could have a Prime Shot thrown weapon that you intend to use in melee, but I don't think that's an issue -- the thrown weapons just aren't competetive as melee weapons, even with some extra damage.

Engilbrand

First Post
You almost have to spend a Healing Surge for the Bag of Tricks. I've seen the dog used by a low level group. At the very least, it was a couple of hits that the Wizard didn't take.
Personally, I'm a big fan of the Diamond Bracers. You can't go wrong with ignoring 10 points of damage from an attack, especially if it's a weapon attack.
Bloodclaw Weapon also makes my Barbarian-becoming-a-Battlerage-Vigor-Fighter very happy.

Nebulous

Legend
You also have to spend a Healing Surge for the Bag of Tricks. I've seen the dog used by a low level group. At the very least, it was a couple of hits that the Wizard didn't take.

Well, the dog isn't a choice for the group at low level (per RAW). You do get a wolf at 18th level.

Does no one else think that a daily ability to pull out a 1hp minion that still costs you a healing surge is a pretty terrible 8th level magic item?

Engilbrand

First Post
Actually, it occurs to me that I was thinking of the Wondrous Items.
I still think that the normal bag is pretty nifty. Sure, it's a daily, but it's all situational.

Bayuer

First Post
From PHB Gaunlets of Piercing. Lvl 3. Ignora all resistance of 10 or lower? Are you kidding?

Symbol of Hope. +5 to intemidiate saving throw? Lol.

Bloodclaw is good but not great. You loose HP and damage isn't so terrifying.

Boots of Fencing Master. +1 to KP and Ref after Shift is must have.

Hambot

First Post
I was definitely surprised by the Bracers of Archery and Iron Armbands of Power, though. I can't think of any other item property that's so universally useful and powerful (aside from the basic enhancements of weapon/armor/neck). They stand out so much that it makes me think it's an intentional bias towards martial characters.

Wow those armbands are good. They just showed up on one of my random treasure rolls. Should I make them work only when the character is bloodied? When the enemy is bloodied? Any other ideas on how to make those armbands actually balanced? Make them just for one type of monster, (like natural monsters) or make them healing surge items?

Grasping Weapon (p.70): The rules aren't entirely clear here, but if you can use this to grab at reach 2 (with a nice bonus), that's a significant change to the grab mechanic that makes it much more powerful. The question is whether "You can use this weapon to grab targets" is intended to override the basic grab rule "The creature must be within your melee reach (don't count extra reach from a weapon)." Since they were obviously thinking about reach weapons for this -- grasping weapons can only be polearms or spears -- I would have expected a clearer wording.

If it says you can use your reach polearm to grab someone, this exception to the normal grab rule works. Quite cool for a polearm PC, an archetype that doesn't really ever get much love.

ferratus

Adventurer
I have one that is fairly broken. Bracers of Bloodthirst for a Cha 20 Bard.

7 ongoing damage on a successful melee hit for a 4th level item.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
I have one that is fairly broken. Bracers of Bloodthirst for a Cha 20 Bard.

7 ongoing damage on a successful melee hit for a 4th level item.

Typical ongoing damage in paragon tier is 5. So, this is slightly higher than that (when being used by a character who has maxed Cha) as a daily power. Doesn't sound particularly broken to me.

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
From PHB Gaunlets of Piercing. Lvl 3. Ignora all resistance of 10 or lower? Are you kidding?

Yep - My wizard bought those as soon as she could afford them.

Compare these two from the PHB:

Bracers of Defence - Daily power is an immediate interrupt to reduce damage from one melee attack by 10 points. Level 7

Bloodcut armour enhancement - Healing surge recharge power is minor action to reduce damage from all attacks by 10 until the end of your next turn. Level 5 for +1 armour.

Sure, the armour enhancement means you have to predict when you're going to get wailed on - but using it just before you charge the dragon sounds like a good bet...

Which would you buy?

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads