• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventurer's Vault] Problematic Items

Alikar

First Post
Any GM who hands a level 2 starting character three magic items is either inexperienced, monty haul, or very very evil (and hence knows you'll need them).

Not really. Since the game itself recommends that any character starting after level 1 have three magic items, I would think that the power level of those items has been taken into account. ;)

James McMurray

First Post
Sure, if you think that section was intended for use with 2nd level PCs and don't mind that a newly minted 2nd level PC has infinite mundane resources while the poor schlub who worked his way to 3rd is going to have nowhere near as much mundane treasure, and will only have 2 magic items if the treasure guidelines are being used and spoils are being divided evenly.

I'm looking for a new game, but I hate first level. Do you mind if I start at 2nd in your 3rd level campaign? :D

CapnZapp

Legend
I guess I don't need to know the answer, but just out of pure curiosity, what's so unbalanced about the DMG guidelines when applied to a second level character?

James McMurray

First Post
A 2nd level party who fights their way there has found 4 magic items and enough gold to buy one more (if they don't spend it on mundane gear). That's one item each.

A 2nd level PC who is created using the DMG guidelines has three magic items and every piece of nonmagic gear he wants.

Dracorat

First Post
Hm, in my current campaign, my PCs have barely scratched level 3 and they are clamoring for cash to shack up at the inn.

Maybe I'm a bit the opposite of Monte Haul. I'll have to consider it.

But at level two, having three items - I do consider that to be a bit MH. Maybe one. POSSIBLY two.

Later on, like level 15, it might be more than three. I dunno. I'll have to think on it.

And give my characters a magic item or two in the next couple of sessions...

Dice4Hire

First Post
A party of 4-5 PCs wil usually gain one magic item each going form 1st to 2nd level. Having one start with three all to himself is a bit much. Plus having an amount of gold equal to a magic item is a bit much. That system really does not work out until level 4 or even 5.

Yes, I know level 1, 2 and 3 items are pretty weak, but that is a plus one item, and a couple boots to skills or some small dailies. Much nicer than nothing.

Jhaelen

First Post
A 2nd level party who fights their way there has found 4 magic items and enough gold to buy one more (if they don't spend it on mundane gear). That's one item each.

A 2nd level PC who is created using the DMG guidelines has three magic items and every piece of nonmagic gear he wants.
Exactly. Applying the DMG rules as written means the best strategy for players is to level up and then provoke a TPK.

Everything that encourages metagaming in such a way is really bad - and another example why trying to play using the RAW alone is a stupid idea.

CapnZapp

Legend
RAW does not say, in any edition, that TPK = make new toons of the same level.
QFT.

Any set of players that tried this stunt would find themselves with a fresh band of level 1 heroes.

What the DMG does say, instead, is this: "When a character does die, it’s usually up to the players as a group to decide what happens. Some players are perfectly happy to roll up a new character, especially when they’re eager to try out new options. Don’t penalize a new character in the group. The new member should start at the same level as the rest of the party and have similar gear."
(my emphasis)

Remove ads