• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventurer's Vault] Problematic Items

Psybuster

First Post
The melee version is Iron Armbands of Power (Adventurer's Vault p117). It doesn't have a daily power like the archer one, not that it really matters, it's still so much more useful than any other arms slot item available to even defenders IMO. Even worse, implement users get shafted since there's no equivalent for them to at least level the playing field.

mlangsdorf

First Post
In terms of money making items and sheer utility of items, I'm surprised people aren't making more out of the Pouches of Shared Acquisition. These little items are incredible useful. Give one to your trusted NPC friend or relative from a decent-sized city. When you stroll into a distant town or city, announce, "Instant message and small package delivery to Waterdeep! No danger, no risk! 1 gold per message, 10 gold per small package!" Or set yourself up as a courier that can provide an instant reply to a message.

Leomund's Secret Chest does it for larger quantities of goods much more cheaply.

Stalker0

Legend
What do people think about the subtle weapon for rogues? At high levels, getting a +12 to damage on almost every attack (since rogues have tons of ways to get CA at those levels) seems a bit of a nobrainer.

Then again, maybe +12 damage isn't that much at high levels.

Drakhar

First Post
This doesn't mean the item should exist at all. Something being bad and must have for everyone sucks.

I can actually think of more then a few arm slot items that I would probably take over the straight increase to damage items. Just because it gives you a slight increase in damage doesn't make it a must have, otherwise MM using Wizards would all have Bracers of Perfect Shot on.

EvolutionKB

First Post
I could be way off on this, but look at veterans armor(available at low levels). I am AFB so I'm not sure, but if you use an items daily power, and you reach a milestone can you reuse that items daily power? If so, as long as you keep getting milestones, you can reuse daily attack powers.

Drakhar

First Post
You're close, when you gain a milestone you can use another daily power from an item yes, however unless the item has been recharged by some other source, you cannot use the same item multiple times.

keterys

First Post
I can actually think of more then a few arm slot items that I would probably take over the straight increase to damage items. Just because it gives you a slight increase in damage doesn't make it a must have, otherwise MM using Wizards would all have Bracers of Perfect Shot on.

Except those bracers only work on magic missile, one of the less useful powers... and these work on every single attack of every type the character makes.

That's a bit of disparity.

Herald of I

First Post
I could be way off on this, but look at veterans armor(available at low levels). I am AFB so I'm not sure, but if you use an items daily power, and you reach a milestone can you reuse that items daily power? If so, as long as you keep getting milestones, you can reuse daily attack powers.

Think of it them like points. Each point can activate a daily power, and you get another one each milestone. However each individual item is only good for one shot a day, no matter how many points you sink into it (baring outside abilities like the artificer's).

Drakhar

First Post
Except those bracers only work on magic missile, one of the less useful powers... and these work on every single attack of every type the character makes.

That's a bit of disparity.

There's also an entirely different point being made in that post, not a comparison between Bracers of Perfect Shot and Bracers of Archery.

Also a quick point. The Bracers of Archery only work for Bow and Crossbow attacks, where as the Iron Armbands of Power are Melee only.

Now IMO are both these items good? Yes. Overpowered/Broken/Problematic? Hardly. They are nice to have but definately not must have for every character with a bow/crossbow.

keterys

First Post
Nor are untyped bonuses to defenses in those items "broken", but they still break promises we were given about the balance of items in 4e.

And they certainly widen the gap _considerably_ between a group that gives out all of the items from Adventurer's Vault and one that doesn't. Nevermind the group that plays much lower magic and doesn't get much beyond a basic enhancement bonus progression.

There's acres more variety in Adventurer's Vault and I'm happy about that, but as far as precedent goes, there's a lot of bad things. And it will only get worse over time in that respect. And that makes me sad.

Remove ads