• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventurer's Vault] Problematic Items

That One Guy

First Post
Is Rapid Strike Bracers (Free) + Gauntlets of Blinding Strikes (Standard) + Dual Strike over powered? I mean, it's four attacks at -2 each once a day.

In general, I like the book. A few things seem broken and I did see some stuff that was in need of errata, but over all I liked the book.

Engilbrand

First Post
I'll have to look at some of these. If my players want them, I'll probably allow them with little fuss.
I love the book. It's full of awesome and win.

Irda Ranger

First Post
why is a ring of feather fall 14th level when feather fall is a lvl 2 daily power?
seems kind of out of whack don tyou think?

then there's this: winged boots are level 13, and they are feather fall + fly (daily)....

i know all rings are level 14 minimum but this makes no sense

In 4E item level is not determined by any spell's level. The item's level is solely a factor of its effect on play. I don't have the book, but that's the design philosophy.

I love Adventurer's Vault! The sheer number of cool new things to see in this book makes it worth puchasing.

However, those (relatively few) items that don't mesh with my understanding of the design philosophy will be subject to DM approval.

Also, did the formatting errors in this book annoy anyone else? In the PHB, (and other 4E books, I believe) power blocks and magic item blocks have their subheading line directly underneath the heading, but all throughout AV, there's a strip of white dividing the two. Also, does the text in the final appendix seem vertically elongated to anyone else? Maybe I'm just an anal-retentive copy editor. (I can't stand sloppy formatting and editing.) B-)

:eek: Are those static defense bonuses on minor magical items? Wasn't this sort of thing specifically condemned in the Design & Development 4E previews?
As I think about it now, I wonder if that +2 Fort bonus is acceptable on the basis that it's only a bonus to a single defense score (other than AC).

Still needs a type though, IMO.

bganon

Explorer
Is Rapid Strike Bracers (Free) + Gauntlets of Blinding Strikes (Standard) + Dual Strike over powered? I mean, it's four attacks at -2 each once a day.

In general, I like the book. A few things seem broken and I did see some stuff that was in need of errata, but over all I liked the book.

I only read it as three: the Rapidstrike Bracers can only turn a single basic attack into Twin Strike. Also, it's not clear to me that Twin Strike is really a single-target power as required, so this may not work at all.

Even if it works, it's two Paragon items, and you can only pull it off once per day. For that you get three 1[W] attacks at -2 against a single target, and only one attack gets your stat bonus added. That's not bad, but every Ranger level 15 Daily power is IMO clearly better, so the items are hardly overshadowing the character's innate abilities.

WalterKovacs

First Post
why is a ring of feather fall 14th level when feather fall is a lvl 2 daily power?
seems kind of out of whack don tyou think?

then there's this: winged boots are level 13, and they are feather fall + fly (daily)....

i know all rings are level 14 minimum but this makes no sense

The ring of feather fall can allow the entire group to be under the 'protection' of feather fall for the encounter.

The both have the same property, but each has a different secondary effect. If there is something one person is likely to fall off of/into ... there is a chance the entire party may end up down there. Having one party member immune to the fall and able to fly back up is ok. Having the whole party immune to the fall is arguably a level better.

Remove ads