[Adventurer's Vault] Problematic Items

keterys

First Post
So far I'm pretty happy with the purchase and I'll be using a lot of things...

but I am definitely unhappy at certain lines that have been crossed. I'd also like to see a rule that save penalties never, ever stack. Ever. Including for spell focus and orb of imposition.

Mengu

First Post
You sure picked a great thread to decide if you want the book or not; a thread which is supposed to point out bad items or items that need errata.

Sorry, I haven't really made a decission, that's why I was asking for reviews that I could read before I go flip through it at the store tonight.

baberg

First Post
Level 8 +3
Level 13 +4
Level 18 +5
Level 23 +6
Level 28 +7

I think that's exactly what Wizards didn't want to do, and why the math seems "clunky" for the Elixir of Accuracy. They don't want a straight-out bonus for a level 8 item which can be applied all the way to level 30. 125gp is a pittance at level 30 and for a +3 to my hit? You bet I'd be making and drinking these things like it was candy.

By implementing it as "X - 1/2 level" they will run out of usefulness and thus the PCs will be seeking the next highest level of potion. And remember, player level doesn't equal item level. You can start handing these out to your PCs at level 4 if you wanted, as part of the treasure parcel, giving +3 to hit.

Zelc

First Post
I think that's exactly what Wizards didn't want to do, and why the math seems "clunky" for the Elixir of Accuracy. They don't want a straight-out bonus for a level 8 item which can be applied all the way to level 30. 125gp is a pittance at level 30 and for a +3 to my hit? You bet I'd be making and drinking these things like it was candy.
Enhancement bonuses don't stack.

gribble

Explorer
125gp is a pittance at level 30 and for a +3 to my hit? You bet I'd be making and drinking these things like it was candy.

I don't understand what you're saying here... the +3 proposed by Mustrum_Ridcully would be an enhancement bonus, so wouldn't stack with the enhancement bonus of any weapons you're carrying. At level 30, I'd expect (in fact the system pretty much requires) that the enhancement bonus of your weapons is greater than +3, so your character wouldn't get any benefit from it...

I like the proposal - it's a lot more elegant than the version in the book, and seems to achieve the same result.

SableWyvern

Adventurer

As others have pointed out, I was referring to enhancement bonuses that won't stack with weapon enhancements. I didn't explicitly state that, but if you look at the quoted text in my post, you'll see Mustrum Ridcully mentions enhancement bonuses, and that's what I was responding to.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Bracers of Archery - give a bonus to all ranged attacks.

I thought these kind of items were totally against 4e's design philosophy (hence the reasons gauntlets of ogre power only grant extra damage once per day).

evilgeniusx

First Post
ring of feather fall

why is a ring of feather fall 14th level when feather fall is a lvl 2 daily power?
seems kind of out of whack don tyou think?

then there's this: winged boots are level 13, and they are feather fall + fly (daily)....

i know all rings are level 14 minimum but this makes no sense

evilgeniusx

First Post
bronze griffin

also, all of the figurines of wondrous power made the conversion except my favorite...the bronze griffin!
if not the bronze griffin, then at least give me a bronze hippogriff!
level 9 sound about right?

Remove ads