D&D 5E Advice for a MAD build (Ranger / Artificer / Cleric)

Fraction

Villager
Just looking for some advice for an ongoing character.

Currently playing CoS as a level 4 Monster Slayer Ranger. Essentially being very tropey and going for a Van Helsing-esque build. Current relevant ability scores: Dex 16, Int 14, Wis 16 with obligatory Crossbow Expert.

In thinking about where I go from here I wanted to start creating a vampire-bothering toolkit. Not too fussed about optimisation but want it to be survivable / not a crushing liability for the rest of the party whilst playing into the character's chosen 'profession'.

My thoughts were 2 further Ranger levels to get extra attack and increased mobility (via Tasha's optional rules) followed by 3 in Artificer to get cantrips + infusions (magic crossbow...) + Armorer and 2 in Light Cleric for more cantrips + Flare + Radiant AoE Channel Divinity.

Due to some homebrewing by our DM we should get to level 14-16 by the end so figured Ranger 8 (class feature for saving throws + ASI), Artificer 4 (ASI) and Cleric 2-4 (more spells + ASI) maybe?

Anyone have any thoughts / advice on this? Other than get-your-character-killed-and-roll-a-Gloomstalker...

Fraction

Villager
What is your fighting style and do you have a magic weapon?

If you do not have a magic weapon and do not have Druid Warrior with Magic Stone or Shillelagh I would go artificer 2 next, even giving up extra attack. Then go to Ranger 6 after that.

Other than that I think you have a good idea.
Archery fighting style and no magic weapons to be found, making Artificer very appealing at the moment. There are definitely other work-arounds that I should think about though.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
It's not clear what is exciting you for both Cleric and Artificer (though only to 3 or 4). Pick one.
Either of those can help your ranger, but both is just hurting you.

Take Ranger to level 6, and build it naturally from there: There are reasons to keep going with Ranger all the way up to level 11. If you want Cleric, take a level after 6 or 7, and build from there, choosing whichever of Cleric/Ranger you wanted for the rest of the campaign.

R8/C7, R11/C4, R6/C9 .. almost any combination works, depending on your playstyle.

Remove ads