D&D 5E Advice for playing with a large group

Seven isn't too bad, but the game does start to slow down at that point. If you're using milestone leveling, that should help with the XP getting divided up so much that it takes forever for people to level up.

In my experience, sticking to a sort of "turn" order outside of combat works well, so that players don't fall through the cracks and the talkier people don't end up monopolizing the game. Relying on group consensus is key - when I was running for a large group, I had everyone do a show of hands when they were stuck on deciding what to do. Otherwise, the game gets bogged down in a committee. I also told the players that they had to stick together. It reduces verisimilitude, but the game slows down even further when you have to essentially run two full groups at once because one part wanted to do one thing and the other another.

And finally, I think it's very important to make it clear to your players that you are at your maximum limit. Otherwise, one player says "hey, I know someone that wants to play," another disappears and so you add another player to fill that space, then the original player returns and before you know it, you've got a group of 10 players that you're struggling to manage.

I should add that I am using milestone leveling for this campaign.

Remove ads