• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

advice on creating the Kroot

The Kroot are a race that evolves rapidly by eating friend and foe alike. Is there anything anywhere that is similar. Some rule that could apply. I was thinking a system where the character could spend experience to "evolve" gaining special abilities as they went up in level. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Barghest?

For every three suitable corpses a barghest Kroot devours, it gains 1 Hit Die, and its Strength, Constitution, and natural armor increase by +1. Its attack bonus and saves improve as normal for an creature of its Hit Dice, and it gains skill points, feats, and ability score improvements normally.

give it a wide selection of feats to emulate its genetic evolution

Last edited:

thats a good idea for an npc. i'm thinking though that trying to use them as a pc, that rule could be easily abused, quickly out pacing the other members of the party. thats why i was thinking experience. thanks for the advice though, might be able to use that as a starting point.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ah okay.
As I understood 'Kroot' it actually takes a couple of generations for the evolution to occur doesn't it? I thought only the 'chiefs' (head of Kindreds) got the rapid evolution ability (which would make them a PrC or maybe a Paragon) whereas in normal kroot the mutation was latent until passed on to offspring

after re-reading the wiki entry on kroot, you may be right. the traits might not be displayed in the kroot who does the eating but in the later generations.... hmm....

i just thought it'd be cool to have a race capable of eating a dragon and gaining the ability to breath fire, or fly or any number of creatures to gain a number of various racial traits.

even if it isn't the canonical "kroot" i'm still looking for a way you all think would be balance to work it. i don't want to over balance it to much. make it a cool feature of the race but have it have serious class asociated draw backs. sure, you gain a burrow speed, but now your way behind the rest of the group in xp, do it to much and they way out pace you on levels, if not special abbilities

The Illithid Savant PrC from savage species allows you to gain feats, skills, SQs, and SAs from the creatures whom brains you eat.

You could also make a template that allows a creature to gain an attribute once every 3 levels. Say a 1st level "Kroot template" creature could gain a movement speed, DR of up to its con mod, Natural attacks up to D8, etc. At 4th level, it may make a second choice based on past encounters. I think this could keep the kroot around a +1 or 2 CR.

Meeki

First Post
How about something like if the Kroot spends X amount of time eating a corpse of a creature with discernable anatomy equal to or greater than his HD he gains +y enhancement bonus to a physical stat for so long

or

If the Kroot spends X amount of time eating a corpse of a creature with discernable anatomy equal to or greater than his HD he gains fast healing equal to the Kroot's HD for 1 rd / hd of the creature eaten.

or

If the Kroot spends x amount of time eating a corpse of a creature with discernable anatomy equal to or greater than his HD he gains one (EX) ( or (Su)) ability of the creature eaten for x amount of time. To use this ability the Kroot must have the appropriate physical anatomy, i.e. he cannot gain constrict from a snake.

Maybe he doesnt have to eat all the corpse, just some of it. Just an idea.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads