• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Against The Giants...

cthulhu42

Explorer
Just wondering, is Against the Giants (TftYP edition) a suitable module for a party of four 12th level characters?

The intro suggests 4 to 5 PC's of 11th level, so according to that we should be right on the money, give or take. But I thought I'd ask out here for opinions, and also any advice on running it. I've only ever played through about half of the 3.5 version, which was fun, but also a bit of a grind, if I recall correctly, and also ended in the only TPK my group has ever had.

Any and all info would be much appreciated.

Oh, and just in case it matters, the PC's are...

Dwarf, Tempest Cleric
Half-elf, Rogue
Half-orc, Barbarian
Elf, Wizard

lesbiasparrow

First Post
100% doable. I started my party at level 11 with the hill giants, leveled them to 12 for the frost giants, and will level them to 13 for the fire giants. I also let them have two uncommon magical items of their choice, each (but not straight +x items). In the first level of the hill giant steading, the rogue's Reliable Talent in stealth plus the Helm of Telepathy let them sneak through with only one fight (from a wandering giant).

jasper

Rotten DM
My group is now in the Fire Giant part. As long as they play smart, they can mostly win. My murder hobos have killed :
1 granny hill giant
13 puppies
kennel master
2 wives of Chiefs,
kitchen staff,
and various visitors.
See my write up in the adventure league forum "Jasper runs Portal and Season 6". I have occasionally on the fly increase some hit points of the monsters or added one but not many times.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Agree with the prior posts. Our party (which is a large group - up to 7 PC's) started at 11th on the Hill Giants and our now 13th, starting the Fire Giants.

Because of our size, the DM has been using max HP on many/most of our opponents I think. So given your group level is a little higher, bumping HP's should give them a good challenge.

Of course all of the lairs can be quite challenging if your group is the kick-in-the-front-door-and-kill-everything-you-see type.

jasper

Rotten DM
Yes read one my posts on what happens when the group surprises (not) the party going on in the main hall of the hill giants. If you have smarter giant I would have order things like attack the quarterback while in combat. Aka dog pile the wizard. etc.

Syntallah

First Post
Yes read one my posts on what happens when the group surprises (not) the party going on in the main hall of the hill giants. If you have smarter giant I would have order things like attack the quarterback while in combat. Aka dog pile the wizard. etc.

One of my fondest memories as a DM happened right there; many years ago, playing 2E...

The group was outside a door to the main hall, they could hear the commotion going on, and knew it was full of giants. The Party Leader [Dwarf Cleric] was going through his expectations and fears about fighting it out. This went on for some 10-15 minutes of real time, when the Party's fighter [played as a big burly two-handed sword, semi barbaric type of guy by a rather low key Player] just went Leroy Jenkins on them. The look on the Party Leader's face when Steel said "Enough talk, I open the door, and go in..." was absolutely priceless! A moment I will never forget!

G

Guest 6801328

I was about 14 when G 1-3 were republished as a set for AD&D. I played in a game at my FLGS (recently opened by local college students). In G1 somebody came up with the great idea of blowing a horn and issuing a challenge at the front gate. The rest of the evening was consumed by an epic battle as more and more giants came flooding out of the doors. We survived and looted a (mostly) empty Steading.

Ah....sweet memories.

Remove ads