Age of Sigmar RPG Coming From Cubicle 7

Following up from the (long known but) recently announced Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying 4th Edition game coming later this year, Cubicle 7 has announced that they will also be producing a Warhammer Age of Sigmar game. Age of Sigmar is an "epic tale of heroes, gods and monsters fighting a desperate battle for the fate of the Mortal Realms". The two games won't be compatible - they will be two entirely different lines with different rulesets. The announcement is below.

Following up from the (long known but) recently announced Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying 4th Edition game coming later this year, Cubicle 7 has announced that they will also be producing a Warhammer Age of Sigmar game. Age of Sigmar is an "epic tale of heroes, gods and monsters fighting a desperate battle for the fate of the Mortal Realms". The two games won't be compatible - they will be two entirely different lines with different rulesets. The announcement is below.

AoSRPG Logo 1200.jpg

Games Workshop and Cubicle 7 Entertainment have announced the Warhammer Age of Sigmar Roleplaying Game, for release in 2018.
Warhammer Age of Sigmar is Games Workshop’s epic tale of heroes, gods and monsters fighting a desperate battle for the fate of the Mortal Realms.

Dominic McDowall, Cubicle 7 CEO said, “The Warhammer Age of Sigmar setting is fantasy at its most imaginative. The Mortal Realms are fascinating, highly evocative and hold endless possibilities for roleplaying. I am enormously excited to explore them with the Warhammer Age of Sigmar Roleplaying Game!”

This news follows Cubicle 7’s announcement of the fourth edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay for release in 2017. These two games will be independent game lines with different rulesets.
SaveSave
SaveSave

Barantor

Explorer
I didn't mind the first edition magic system since it was easy for even a new player to comprehend. The lack of spells were solved with supplements later and I liked that magic was more of a rarity in that era of Warhammer rather than the norm as it is in so many other Fantasy settings.

I think the biggest failing of 1st edition was there were very few 'evil' groups and you ended up having half of the wizard specialties being more aligned with chaos and evil than with good mages. I hope they keep with the feel that 1st and 2nd edition had as well as Dungeon Crawl Classics, where you are just another humanoid, not Captain America in fantasy.

aramis erak

Legend
They haven't actually said (at least not on their web announcements) they will be incompatible. Just that they will be separate lines.

Dr Who and Rocket Age are two separate lines with different IP, but they happen to use the same 2d6 engine.

I would be surprised if the two were truly incompatible.

Yes! I longed for an AoS RPG and now they even gave Cubicle7 the license and not a shabby backyard studio! I am pleased.

Oh, wait - you say there are no AoS fans around here? Well, here I am. I will choose superheroic glitter fantasy on LSD any time over this gloomy grim bad times pseudo medievalistic satire setting of yours. :)

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Can someone explain to me the difference between old world and age of sigmar settings?

I played 1st edition and bought 3rd but didn't enjoy running it, even thou i liked some of the ideas for the mechanics. I didn't read enough to know the settings differences if any

just curious

I also in the camp of why two rulesets and not two settings ... only guess is that you will see more in initial sales (people buying both) and they'll support the winner of supplemental sales or they have two really cool ideas for rule systems and why not try them both out

"These two games will be independent game lines with different rulesets."

V

Vicent Martín Bonet

Can someone explain to me the difference between old world and age of sigmar settings?

I played 1st edition and bought 3rd but didn't enjoy running it, even thou i liked some of the ideas for the mechanics. I didn't read enough to know the settings differences if any

I also in the camp of why two rulesets and not two settings ... only guess is that you will see more in initial sales (people buying both) and they'll support the winner of supplemental sales or they have two really cool ideas for rule systems and why not try them both out

"These two games will be independent game lines with different rulesets."

It's pretty different: the old world, during an event called the End Times (guess what) was destroyed. Gone. During this events, eight individuals chained themselves to the winds of magic. Such power they attained that they basically ascended to godhood.

After such destruction, there was the void. Soon, an ancient entity, older than even the Old Ones themselves, began toiling. For millenia it shaped the land and rivers, creating a "flat" (though it's a bit "irregular in its shape and is thousands of kilometers thick, not ball-shaped") landmass that was broken into seven fragments. Above them it forged a realm in the starts. These would become the eight realms, where the setting happens. In one of the many permutations of the realms, a civilization forgotten to history rose and built the Realmgates, which unite the different realms. One day the creature found Sigmar and, after a while became friends.

This is the beginning of the Age of Myth, where the story begins. The gods borne out of the death of the old world would rebuild anew civilizations with the scattered souls that hadn't been eaten away.
Then there's the age of chaos, where everything goes :):):):) up and the following Age of Sigmar where Sigmar launches a big counter attack with his own brand of chaos warriors, the "Stormcast Eternals".

As you can imagine from this summary, it's very far more high-fantasy than OW. So yes, they are two settings.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads