• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Age of Worms ancient history

Menexenus

First Post
I'm running the Age of Worms for my group, and they are starting to ask me questions about the backstory that I am looking up as I go. I found something that doesn't make any sense to me, so I want to see if I have understood it correctly.

Ok, so there was this big battle about 1500 years ago between the forces of Kyuss (led by Dragotha) and the Order of the Storm (a powerful druidic sect). Knowing that this battle was coming, the druidic sect sent a party of adventurers to steal Dragotha's phylactery. Dragotha realizes that his phylactery is in danger and abandons the battlefield at a crucial moment, allowing the druids to gain victory over Kyuss and reimprison him in the monolith.

Here's what I don't understand. The druids have Dragotha's phylactery. And they want to find someplace safe to store it, someplace that Dragotha is never going to find. So they choose a city in Rift Canyon? The very same Rift Canyon that contains the Wormcrawl Fissure and the Tabernacle of Worms? Does this make any sense to anyone else, because it sure doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, I get the fact that the Rift Canyon is a very big place, but still... Couldn't they find anyplace else? For instance, why not hide it on that Island of Secrets out in the middle of the Nyr Dyv? Wouldn't that have been a better place?

If anyone can explain this to me in a way that makes sense, I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks.

Last edited:

James Jacobs

Adventurer
It's been a while... but if I remember correctly, they chose the city of Kongen-Thulnir for 2 main reasons. Convenience (the druids didn't have much resources left after that battle, and needed to "outsource" the job) and because it was a really good place to defend against dragons. And in the end... no matter where it was hidden, it wouldn't take Dragotha long to get there once he found out about it, so it doesn't make much difference between hiding it in the same canyon or on a different planet, really. He didn't/couldn't know it was there, so even though it was close, it was safe.

Of course... the REAL reason is that we wanted to have more than one adventure set in the Rift Canyon, cause it's a cool place that hadn't starred in any big adventures yet. :)

grodog

Hero
It's a plot device? :D :D

I would certainly have sequestered it on another plane, with non-detection dweomers and other anti-divination wards, so your query seems apt to me!

grodog

Hero
James Jacobs said:
Of course... the REAL reason is that we wanted to have more than one adventure set in the Rift Canyon, cause it's a cool place that hadn't starred in any big adventures yet. :)

And thank you for that, James :D

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Seems to me like the best place to hide something like that might be right under your enemy's nose. Place it where he would never expect to find it.

ericlboyd

Explorer
Menexenus said:
I'm running the Age of Worms for my group, and they are starting to ask me questions about the backstory that I am looking up as I go. I found something that doesn't make any sense to me, so I want to see if I have understood it correctly.

Ok, so there was this big battle about 1500 years ago between the forces of Kyuss (led by Dragotha) and the Order of the Storm (a powerful druidic sect). Knowing that this battle was coming, the druidic sect sent a party of adventurers to steal Dragotha's phylactery. Dragotha realizes that his phylactery is in danger and abandons the battlefield at a crucial moment, allowing the druids to gain victory over Kyuss and reimprison him in the monolith.

Here's what I don't understand. The druids have Dragotha's phylactery. And they want to find someplace safe to store it, someplace that Dragotha is never going to find. So they choose a city in Rift Canyon? The very same Rift Canyon that contains the Wormcrawl Fissure and the Tabernacle of Worms? Does this make any sense to anyone else, because it sure doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, I get the fact that the Rift Canyon is a very big place, but still... Couldn't they find anyplace else? For instance, why not hide it on that Island of Secrets out in the middle of the Nyr Dyv? Wouldn't that have been a better place?

If anyone can explain this to me in a way that makes sense, I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks.

It's a little known fact that phylacteries are attached to the lich/dracolich by a very long strings. However, although long, such strings are finite in length, so they can't be hidden very far away. ;-)

All kidding aside, there could be some sort of distance-related motivation for keeping it close.

--Eric

Numion

First Post
ephemeron said:
Never mind where they hid it, is there a reason they didn't destroy it?

Could he make another one then?

ps. Gots to get me some of those players who're interested in a backstory.. :heh:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads