Age of Worms character creation advice

Gundark

Explorer
borc killer said:
To the OP: Honestly if you don’t have a good classic party you will not be able to finish the campaign as written.

QFT

You NEED a cleric/mage/fighter. Rogues are really only good for trap finding in this campaign.
If you have a party that are into playing different classes (ie. dragon shaman etc.) then play a different adventure path or have the DM tone down the challenges.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Wrathamon said:
It sounds like a deadly game is it harder than City of the Spider Queen?

*one*

This AP takes CoSQ over its knee and beats it like the redheaded stepchild it is. And Orcus laughs along the way.

Trust me it's a TOUGH AP if your party isn't prepared and willing to take a few death/hits along the way. This puppy is TOUGH and will not be kind to unprepared parties. Even with lucky dice rolls, they will still be a) outclassed b) outgunned and c) ready to serve as appetizers for the Age of Worms if they don't do so.

Trust me Wrath, get a cleric, ANY cleric, and you'll be fine.

Kaodi,

That's so wrong and yet so darn good/funny too. ;)

Venator

First Post
We are currently running AoW and just finished chapter 4. Our party consists of 7 PC's and we do not have a cleric. So far it has been really tough, but we have managed to get ourselves out of a few very horrible situations with either A) massive amounts of reasources spent on prep or B) luck.

We haven't lost a PC yet, but we come damned close in just about every fight. If the AP keeps ramping up the difficulty, its going to be incredibly rough with or without a dedicated cleric.

also, please dont post any spoilers without warning.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*seven*
Ven,

Depends, how far along are you? I mean what level if nothing else to give me some idea about where you're at in the path?

Chapter 4...you SURE you're not running Shackled City? I mean are you currently in the Free City of "Insert" or somewhere else?

If you happen to have more than the basic 4 it can help but even 8 still makes the fights tough at times.

Last edited:

mmu1

First Post
Wrathamon said:
thanks for the advice!

It sounds like a deadly game is it harder than City of the Spider Queen?

I never ran it, only looked through it, but my impression was it's impossible for a DM not to have multiple TPKs while running that module, short of pulling a lot of punches. (or just not playing the enemies to their full potential, an easy thing to do at high levels)

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I am sure we will be fine for the first couple of adventures using wands but it sounds like after that it gets impossible with out Turning and massive healing.

I will see if someone will play a cleric.

We also have no nuker currently planned... which is also going to be an issue.

Pyrex

First Post
kenobi65 said:
Radiant Cheeseweasel of Pelor. :D

Cheeseweasel?

I've always referred to them as Cheesemonkeys myself.

But mabye that's because clerics in games I've been in have been more likely to fling poop than bite... :uhoh:

Venator

First Post
****POST CONTAINS MINOR SPOILER****

Nightfall said:
*seven*
Ven,

Depends, how far along are you? I mean what level if nothing else to give me some idea about where you're at in the path?

Chapter 4...you SURE you're not running Shackled City? I mean are you currently in the Free City of "Insert" or somewhere else?

If you happen to have more than the basic 4 it can help but even 8 still makes the fights tough at times.

:)

I'm sure we are not running SC. We are running the Free For All event in the Greyhawk Arena (just hit level 9) this Tuesday night. We have done fine without a Cleric so far, but have already seen the non-obvious value one has in the AP.

I'm not worried about the lack of a cleric in our group. We are all experienced players and understand that we lack what a cleric provides. Great spell selection from our Druid and Wizard, great preparation (scrolls, research, ect.), and great party synergy have all paid massive dividends up to this point and will most likely continue to. We understand that we will have it harder at times than groups with a cleric, but we should be able to handle most situations without his spell list and class ability, although it wont be easy (with or without a cleric).

Again, I am not looking for any spoilers at all, nor am I looking to know at what point a cleric is needed most. I was just giving my 2 cents based on the experience I have with the mod so far.

The party is:

Fighter 6/Barb 2/Exotic Weapon Master 1
Wizard 6/Incantatrix 3
Druid 9
Fighter (Archer) 9
Rogue 2/Barb 1/Fighter 2/Ranger 1/Thief Acrobat 1/Dervish 2 (or something like that)
Fighter 3/Rogue 3/Bard 3
Paladin 5/Cleric 1/Pious Templar 1/Fist of Raziel 2

Last edited:

jasin

Explorer
Wrathamon said:
We also have a rogue warlock that I dont know much about and another PC that I dont know what he is playing.
Um... so it's warlock, unknown and you?

I'd go with a cleric. If the unknown isn't a cleric, you need a cleric. If he is a cleric, you can never have to many clerics. :D

A paladin might work well too, if the other guy is a cleric. Without a rogue, you'll need someone who can make the saves when he goes to find traps. :D

Remove ads