• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Age of Worms - Greyhawk or FR better?

Havlo

First Post
I am thinking aabout starting the Age of Worms campaign with my group. Right now I am running the SotLW series in Eberron, and everyone likes Eberron a lot. I have read the Overview and most of the adaptation material to set AoW in Eberron, but it just doesn't feel right to me. AoW has more of a classic high fantasy feel, and Eberron is too "modern" to use the term very loosely. I just can't make it work in my head. So I am looking towards Greyhawk and FR. Which seems better suited, feel-wise, for AoW? And yes, I know it is defaultly set in Greyhawk...

JoeGKushner

First Post
Depends on what you're group knows and is familiar wtih.

Several members of my group know both sets so I'd go with Greyhawk just to get away from the FR setting which I've run for years and years and years.

Havlo

First Post
A couple of them know FR a little, and I don't think anyone (including me) knows much about Greyhawk. I was actually leaning towards Greyhawk for that very reason. Is there anything I or my players need to know specifically about Greyhawk to get the most out of AoW?

BlackMoria

First Post
I think Greyhawk is the path of least resistance. I am doing AoW in the Forgotten Realms and finding locations and rational for those locations is problematic.

Eric Boyd started doing a AoW conversion for the Realms for Paizo. Diamond Lake was Daggerford area. Problem is, the conversion is very slow. I imagine the Free City is Waterdeep, except that the Champion games concept (gladitorial combats) is so not Waterdeep IMO.

Because the conversion is not done yet, you are on your own for where Wormcrawl Fissure, the city of Ahlaster, etc etc is located.

Of course, if your Realms is not anywhere near canon, applying AoW to the Realms is less of a problem. Therefore, YMMV is the catch phrase.

Havlo

First Post
I'm not necessarily looking at different campaign settings to make it easier (although that never hurts, full time job plus school and all), I'm just looking for the CS that feels right with AoW, and so far I think it's going to be Greyhawk.

JoeGKushner

First Post
BlackMoria said:
Eric Boyd started doing a AoW conversion for the Realms for Paizo. Diamond Lake was Daggerford area. Problem is, the conversion is very slow. I imagine the Free City is Waterdeep, except that the Champion games concept (gladitorial combats) is so not Waterdeep IMO.

been a while since I read the old boxed set, but I distinctively recall an area introduced in there that had a lion's face style gate no?

JustaPlayer

First Post
Well, I hear Dragotha makes his first ever appearence in the path. Now if there is anyone who knows the orgin of the undead dragon (first such creature ever mentioned), it make sense to keep it in Greyhawk. The names was only mentioned on a map that came with White Plume Mountain.

ruleslawyer

The Lion's Gate is the entrance to the Field of Triumph, which is used for tests of battle. However, these are more akin to medieval contests-at-arms (jousting, archery, the grande melee, etc.) rather than Roman-style gladiatorial death matches (which, apparently, are common in the decadent nations of the South and Old Empires, but not really allowed in Waterdeep).

Though I game inveterately in the Realms, I'd still say Greyhawk is the better match for AoW. The adventure path uses many legacy elements of the Greyhawk setting, and all the locations are already matched for you. Seems like a better way to go.

JoeGKushner

First Post
JustaPlayer said:
Well, I hear Dragotha makes his first ever appearence in the path. Now if there is anyone who knows the orgin of the undead dragon (first such creature ever mentioned), it make sense to keep it in Greyhawk. The names was only mentioned on a map that came with White Plume Mountain.

Dragotha appeared in Dragon mag. Something like #134 I think.

He's also been mentioned as being in FR with the Cult of the Dragon at one point. :confused: Yeah, cheese writing there.

His 3.5 appearance and abilities would enable him to... easily conquer the Abyss as he's something like a CR 27 I think.

Remove ads