• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Age of Worms - Greyhawk or FR better?

smilinggm

First Post
IMHO Age of Worms fits best in the Greyhawk Campaing. My biggest reason for this opinion is that the mythology used and created for this adventure path is Greyhawk's. Sure you can modify and adjust the mythology to fit in the other campaigns, but you loose something in translation.

ericlboyd

Explorer
Ruined said:
It seems like the conversions take too many pains to convert Cool NPC A1 into Established FR NPC A1 - I can see why they'd do it for the purists, but its nothing I need.

My design approach was to convert every detail for the FR purist, figuring that folks could easily not use all the conversion. If I'd gone the other way (done very little converting), then it would have left the hard part for the DM.

Ruined said:
Overall, I'm having no problems running it this way (and my players would never know the difference).

Glad to hear it! I think you're probably running it the best way for a campaign.

--Eric

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
FR fit is way easier and more consist in my mind than Eberron. But doing it in Greyhawk is probably best overall.

Havlo

First Post
I'm not worried about canon, as I haven't run much of either FR or Greyhawk. I know more about FR, enough to get the feel and pick up on the tone, but haven't done so with Greyhawk. I have the LGG and will read over it. The impression I get from reading posts is a little vanilla, but as I said I don't know much yet. I like Greyhawk for the fact that the mythology and names are already there and the fact that my players don't know much either gives me a little leeway if I need to fudge things. Also I can slowly reveal the mythology, they aren't going to know it all ahead of time. Now I just need to convince them to play something besides Eberron...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Speaking as a 1E vet, the Greyhawk mythology really wasn't intended as a unified whole -- a lot of the stuff in the artifact section of the 1E DMG (such as Vecna and Kas, or the Fables of Burdock) is only mentioned there, and never again. Kyuss, who was first mentioned in the original Fiend Folio, had no ties to Greyhawk in his first appearance, either.

Yes, one of the oldest D&D settings is Greyhawk, but that doesn't automatically mean everything old is of Greyhawk, either. I think you could quite comfortably set the Age of Worms in any old school setting like Blackmoor, Mystara (which was old school well before it was even the Known World) or even the Wilderlands of High Fantasy.

AoW is nice in that it ties together a bunch of great old school stuff, and obviously that fits like a glove into Greyhawk, but I disagree that classic = Greyhawk and nothing else.

Vecna, for one, belongs to the ages and not to Greyhawk or, I'd argue, even just D&D any more.

Last edited:

Ruined

Explorer
ericlboyd said:
Glad to hear it! I think you're probably running it the best way for a campaign.

--Eric

Thanks for all the conversion notes, Eric. Honestly, the main reason I went FR was due to the changes to the Ebon Triad and the corresponding FR gods. Years ago, I was a big fan of the Avatar Trilogy, so their inclusion made me very happy.

Welverin

First Post
hong said:
I would have set Age of Worms in Exalted's Creation, but my DM is already running it. :(

Really, how would you go about that?

I have trouble seeing D&D adventures fitting in Exalted, mechanically and thematcically.

Remove ads