AGELESS Campaign Episode 2 - Temple of the Cat-Goddess

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 118, "The Ride to Paris", September 12, 1882, 10:30 PM.

Callum says, "Very well." Taking out the vial he states "This elixir of Doctor Jekyll's is rather powerful, nothing short of a 'Dispel Magic' spell will awaken me for the next hour. By then we should be on the outskirts of the city. I will see you all then." He drinks down the vial and hands it to Pepe. He then lays down on the carriage bench and within twenty seconds appears to be sound asleep, with a slight snore.

Pepe turns to Abby and says, "So, tell me more of my Great Uncle's recent exploits. He wrote us a half-year back or so, but it has been nearly eight years since we last saw him in person." Abby says, "I only spoke with him for a few moments, enough to be introduced. However, while we were exposing the French plan and rounding up the last of the Weekly Wizards, he was in Paris, raiding their headquarters. He appeared in front of the New Queen of Egypt bearing the artifact that keeps the Wizards from aging. The Druidess Meren accompanied him on that trip and is now Egypt's new Ambassador to France. Let me tell you, the last of the Wizards were much more amenable to what the Queen had to say after she held their continued long lives in her hands."

Pepe laughs and exclaims "He did it! He actually did it! My Great Uncle Manuel lived here with us for a few years around a decade ago, and spent a considerable amount of time observing the Weekly Wizard's mansion from a distance. He always wanted to sneak in but it was too well protected. We ran through several different options." His wife interjects "And I would not allow my husband to risk his life on the whim of an over-adventurous crazy man." Pepe asks, "Do you know how he accomplished it? Sneaking in through the sewers was the plan he thought had the best chance of success."

Abby says, "I'm sorry, I don't recall if he said how. I had been awake at least 36 hours by then, maybe longer. Before we brought them back, the Empress and Victor Duruy were married, and Mr. Gonzales gave away the bride. He called her some kind of bird as well. I'm afraid your Great Uncle is very odd," Abigail laughed. "He did seem pretty chirked about having gotten that necklace." Pepe says, "Yes, he is odd.

Pepe then says, "I am sorry that your visit with us had to start with Miss Meghan Elizabeth Stuart Chester. She means well but just has no skills with people." Abby replies, "She's not the first person I've met who isn't good with people. I work with archeologists, scientists and academics. They're often so in their own minds that they've forgotten how to get on with others. I admit, I wasn't sure what to make of her. She was certainly generous with her loan of the gown and seemed happy enough to do it, but I couldn't get even a smile from her. But surely, she's been here some time. You must have found something about her to like."

Pepe says, "Me personally, no. She's also rather vain, she may look like a girl in her twenties but she uses her magic to achieve that, she's twice that age. But I am far from impartial on the subject. Callum mentioned how she's gunning for his job, well she's been considerably more vocal about wanting mine. She feels that the Chief Wizard of the Stuarts should be both the most powerful spellcaster here and a Stuart. Thankfully, Charles firmly believes that the Chief Wizard has to be a wizard, not a sorcerer."

Maracita adds, "In Peru the art of midwifery is conducted by wizards rather than clerics and that was my initial training. We were here when Meagan was born, I delivered her. Of the hundreds of babies who I helped to deliver in my lifetime she was by far the most difficult. It is trait that she has carried into adulthood." Abby was silent for a moment. "She must be horribly, horribly lonely," she said finally. "I've met a few people who gloried in being unlikeable, but I suspect Meagan isn't one of them. She seemed genuinely pleased that Cal had found me. Perhaps ambition is all she has." She paused again. "Which in no way excuses her. Constantly trying to undermine you, Pepe and Cal, undermines your whole mission here. It's a distraction."

Maracita says, "She may actually want you as a friend, you did indicate that she was friendly to you. . She does have a few friends, the managers of the agricultural operation here. As they have nothing to do with magic she is in no way threatened by them." Pepe says, "Enough discussion of her, tell us some more about you Abigail." Maracita says, "Yes, please. From the way Callum had described you we would have expected our first vision of you to be of you rising out from a giant clamshell as in Botticelli's painting."

Abby says, "I really had no idea he felt this way. We weren't together all that long, and I never heard from him after his father had him reassigned. I considered it something lovely to remember and moved on with my life. I was hurt and angry, but I grieved what might have been more than what had been. I suppose it was the same for him, except I had reason to let go, and he had hope and a reason to hold on. I really don't know what to tell you about myself the Cal might not have already told you. My father was English, and my mother still lives in New Orleans. I decided I wanted an education, so I went to college. And I love to know about people, how they lived and how they thought about things, so I became an archeologist."

Pepe says, "An archaeologist yes, but there are many different facets and types of archaeology. Are you more focused on the aspects of science or the history? Is there a geographic location that you wish to focus on? How do you see the world of yesterday relating to the world of today, or is that not something that should matter? And how does magic relate to any or all of this?"

Abby answers, "I started out interested in the history, but I have to admit I have become fascinated with the methods themselves. Finding, preserving, making sure that the disturbance we create in our searches don't cause irreparable harm. I enjoy the minute, detailed task of unearthing the treasures from the ground. And no, I have no particular area I want to focus on just now. A young archeologist just starting out must take the jobs she can. Egypt is always fascinating, its history is so rich and ancient. But I would also enjoy delving into the past of the Celtic and Nordic peoples. There's not as much work that way, though. The fascination and funding for now seems to lie in Northern Africa.

And of course the world of yesterday relates to the world of today! We are, every one of us, created and informed by the generations that came before us. We humans live with beliefs and prejudices passed down that we no longer even understand, they're just what is. For the longer-lived races, things that happened hundreds of years ago are personal memories. Part of personal experiences that even more directly inform who they are.

And magic... Like any other source of power it's threaded all through history. But it's the one kind of power that doesn't concentrate itself among the already powerful. It can be an equalizer, like when a poor child discovers sorcerous powers. Or it can move people even further above, like the resources I saw back at the castle. And of course the rift between clerical and arcane magic has profoundly shifted the course of the entire Western world. Magic matters a great deal."

Maracita smiles at Abby's response. Pepe says "You said that you might enjoy delving into the past of the Celtic people. What do you know of the Celtic faction known as the Carnutes? And have you had any experience at excavating Roman ruins?" Abby says, "I haven't done any extensive work in Roman ruins, although I was an assistant at a site excavating them shortly after I finished school. I'm familiar with the Carnutes, but not in any great detail. They assassinated the puppet king set up by Ceasar and massacred the Roman merchants set up in Cenabum, which helped lead to the general revolt there. They managed to avoid being Romanized despite their eventual defeat, and did have self-rule under the Empire. Like everyone else, they had to provide fighters to Rome."

Pepe says, "Ah yes, so most of what you know of them dates from the time of the Roman Empire. That is consistent with what we have found as well. Do you have knowledge of Gaul during the time of the Roman Republic?" She answers, "Not any worth speaking of. The Franks, leading to modern France took over Gaul roughly 450 years after the Roman Empire conquered. The length of time they were Roman really depends on when you start counting. But during those years the Roman and Gaulish cultures merged together, some Celtic influences remained strong and even became part of the Roman culture, some faded as the people accepted more of the Roman culture into their lives. It becomes very difficult to separate."

Maracita says, "Thank you. That is very helpful. Now, what is it that you and Callum plan to do in Paris tonight? And do you know how long are you planning to stay with us here in France?" "I have no idea," Abby laughed. "I had no idea of even stopping in France at all. We were dropping off the remaining French wizards and the new Ambassador, and then returning the dirigible to Queen Neferka in Egypt. We may stay a day or two at the most. I'm sure Cal will want to keep on friendly ground with the new Queen, and taking an inordinate amount of time to return her dirigible won't help with that.

As for what we're doing in Paris, again, I don't know! But I hope it involves eating. All those hours without sleep also came without much to eat. Just whatever I happened to have with me that I could eat in a hurry on the move. Now that I slept all the way down on the dirigible, my stomach is making itself known." Maracita says, "We should arrive at around 11:00PM, still rather early for many of the best restaurants, so finding a meal will not be difficult. We have been asking you a number of questions, it must have felt like an interrogation. Do you have any questions for us?"

Abby says, "Well, you'd heard something of me before, so you'd have questions. I knew nothing of you an hour ago. And I'm not sure what's safe to ask and what's not. I am insanely curious about what goes on our here. It feels like more than just magical research."

Maracita says, "Most of what goes on in the 4,800 acres of The Land of Queen Mary is farming. It has a dozen separate tenant farms on it, most of which have been managed by the same families since Mary's time, and some even before then. Our principal agriculture is grains. There are no towns or villages on our lands, but the land is of relatively equal distances to three towns, each of which four of our farms bring the annual crops from their approximately 400 acres to. In reality, only the eight perimeter farms are real, each harvesting approximately 600 acres, with each pair of them providing the bounty for one of the four interior mock farms. The perimeter farms are also the only ones that receive any visitors from outside of our lands.

The tenants are good at keeping our secrets, they take pride in their discretion and recognize a good deal when they see it. We provide magical equipment which greatly eases the amount of work actually needed for planting and harvesting. And since fewer people are needed during the winter months we send half away on an all-expense-paid vacation to the Stuart estate along the French coast on the Mediterranean. So every tenant can look forward to receiving an extended seaside vacation from November through March, every-other-year. They would not have that with any other farming arrangement. As for the four interior mock farms, you've already seen two of them. Small amounts of farming do take place there, enough to maintain the illusion, but each has its own purpose, those details of which we are not at liberty to share with you as of yet. Although it is safe to say that the study of magic is a key part of it.

The manor house itself was established by Queen Mary, and was known at that time by the French population to be just a countryside retreat that she would go to when she needed a break from Versailles. We've basically maintained it as it was in her day, and occasionally entertain well-to-do guests and visitors there. Nothing is on the upper two floors that gives any indication that there is anything more to the site. Visitors going into the carriage house, the servants quarters or the storage barn would also not find anything obvious there either. But there is more to the set of buildings than meets the eye."

Pepe says, "A number of mysteries remain about the site. Mary Stuart lacked the answers to those, although she did her best to solve them. She realized that many answers lie buried on the grounds and was astute enough to bring in powerful druids from Ireland to examine the grounds before any of the buildings were constructed. So the exact location of each of the buildings are on plots that have no archaeological treasures beneath, but the land between those buildings, that is a different story altogether. Until now we have not had the manpower and skill sets to undertake such an operation, nor was it safe to bring in outsiders, given the need to keep matters secret."

Abby says, "Callum's decision to study makes more sense now. It's not a natural fit for him. He lacks the patience for the detailed work of getting the artifacts from the ground. But it is a natural fit for me, which is what you wanted to know. My knowledge and experience aren't what you need, at least not yet. I have more learning to do." She glanced over at Cal. "And of course, we are getting ahead of ourselves. I will keep everything I've seen here in confidence, and you are right not to tell me too much. I have employment elsewhere, and there is no guarantee I would be invited to help you here."

Abby paused, unsure what to ask next. It was such an odd position, to be trusted with this much information but not be part of what was going on. "What can you tell me of the Stuart family dynamic? Except for Meagan, is there any other threat to Cal's authority here? Anything else that threatens your mission? Only if you can tell me, of course."

Pepe replies, " The Stuart family is currently headed up by Alan Plantaganet Stuart and Lady Arabella Arthur Stuart, the current Lord and Lady of Galloway. Alan is Callum's uncle. They have almost no interest in this property. Lord Stuart was very content to let his spinster sister Baronese manage this land for the family. As Callum was her chosen successor, he is fine with that as well. Lord Stuart has only been here three times in his entire life. The first was as a boy when his father showed it to him. The second time was after he married and took his wife on a world tour, where they stayed here for all of two days. The final time was seven years ago when they hosted Queen Victoria here for a short visit. They stayed a total of two weeks that time, most of which was before the Queen's arrival in order to prepare the property for the royal visit. Queen Victoria spent two nights in the manor.

Callum's father, Randolph Henry Stuart, is a more frequent guest. His business dealings bring him to Paris several times a year. He usually stays at the finer hotels in Paris then, but will often bring business associates out here during those occasions to impress them. Thankfully he always gives us a few days notice if he plans to do that. He also has no real interest in this place. He is marginally aware that some here dabble in magic, but is fine with that as long as there is no evidence of that when he entertains here. So I would say there is no real threat to Callum's authority here. He has no interest in ever turning it over to Meagan. But if his Aunt Baronese ever wanted the job back he would return it to her in a heartbeat. She was well liked here and Callum totally respects her."

Abby says, "Cal's father went out of his way to separate us once before. Should Cal..." she blushed, knowing she was far ahead of herself but not sure if she would ever have any opportunity like this, "should he make me an offer, someday, could he be disinherited? Could he lose everything here?" Maracita says, "That would be a conversation he would have to have with his father. But the more impressive your credentials and work are the harder it would be for anybody to question and challenge." Abby couldn't make herself point out that the kind of offer she meant was not a job offer. But it was answer enough. "Thank you. I'm not sure my current employment with Mrs. Parker's group will help with that or not."

Abby then asks, "I didn't know his Aunt was still living. She retired in comfort, I take it." Pepe laughs and says, "You could say that, she's now a Russian Countess." Maracita says, "Yes, the most remarkable thing. She was vacationing down at the Stuart property in the south of France and met a Russian Count. They had actually met once before, six decades before, when they were both young children. Their parents had been delegates at the 1814 Treaty of Fountainbleu where Napoleon surrendered his authority over France, and had brought their families along to the conference. Neither had ever married, and they started acting like teenagers together. Before you knew it they had eloped."

"It's never too late for romance!" Abby laughed. "Mrs. Parker and her husband provide a daily example of that. Good for her. Russia is another place that must be fascinating. Of course, I think most cultures are fascinating. Perhaps some day I'll even travel into Asia." Maracita says, "Well, if you are an archaeologist who isn't fixed on a specific geographic location then there is no reason why you can't travel the globe." Pepe says, "The world is a very interesting place. I have been to all seven continents. But after a few decades of travel, I am now just as happy to spend most of my days on a farm in the country." Maracita laughs, "Says the man on his way to a night on the town in the world's busiest city."

"Just because someone enjoys a quiet country life doesn't mean they don't like a little excitement now and then." Abby laughed again, "I've had a little more excitement than I can take the last few days, a night on the town will be like a vacation. What do the two of you plan to do in the City of Lights?" Maracita says, "You can call it the City of Lights, I prefer its other nickname, the City of Love. Pepe and I always enjoy the city. It's a very cosmopolitan place, where those of us of other races can still find comfort."

Pepe says, "We neither hide or flaunt our differences. Outside in public we wear hats that cover our ear-tips, but other than that we are just ourselves, no magical disguises or any such nonsense." Maracita says, "Tonight I think we will go to the Cabaret le Ledu on the Champs-Elysees. It has a different feel than the Moulin Rouge or the Folies Bergere. A little bawdier and attracting a more diverse mixture of classes and races in the audience."

Abby says, "That sounds like home. New Orleans has people of every kind from everywhere, and the clubs there... I shocked some of my new compatriots with my familiarity with them. I wish it were perfect there, but I've never seen another place where races and classes mix so freely. I suppose it wouldn't do for Cal to be seen in such a place. Are the differences between races so noted here?"

Pepe says, "There is very little racial diversity in most places in France. The population for France is 90% human, with most of the non-humans being dwarves in north-eastern France near the German border. The French cities of Metz, Stasbourg and Thionville actually have dwarven majorities. And whereas Spain conquered Latin America, there are some elves brought back who live near the Spanish/French border. That is about all. Paris however, has its own conclaves of elves, ogres and orcs if you know where to look. I even have a friend here who is of the bugbear race from Antarctica. And in mages circles, elves and half-elves are not at all unusual to come across. So Paris is generally safe for us, at least in the neighborhoods that we frequent."

Although her words didn't sound angry, there was a tightness around Abigail's mouth and eyes that betrayed it. "I hate that you have to think about where you would be safe and where you wouldn't. With all my studies and what I've learned about the nature of people you'd think I'd know that we all fear the different, and that change will come as what was different becomes commonplace. But it moves far too slowly for me."

Pepe smiles and says, "Yes indeed, you're from New Orleans. As much as I said Paris was cosmopolitan, there is no place on the entire globe that is more accepting of all races than the city of your birth. We would all love to think the rest of the world would think the same. But it is coming along, nearly all nations now recognize slavery as an illegal practice, give the world time." Abby says, "I know history marches on slowly. Honestly, it's the only way it can. Change that comes too quickly frightens, causes a backlash. All I can do is keep behaving the way I wish others would and be satisfied that I may have helped history along a bit." "That is all any of us can hope for," Pepe states.

They have left the countryside and are now riding through the suburbs of eastern Paris. Homes are closer together, with an occasional inn or tavern. They cross a bridge and are soon in the outer environs of the city itself. "We are almost there," Maracita states with a grin, "He will be waking up soon. You did threaten him earlier about us telling tales about him, is there any an particular you want to know?" Abby grinned. "The most embarrassing, of course! And while childhood stories are fun, we're at our most embarrassing just when we think we've grown up."

Maracita says, "Well, Callum was always a favorite of his Aunt Baronese. She would visit them in Scotland around once a year, and he would visit here with his mother and sisters for a few weeks every summer. The most embarrassing would probably be the time when he was around thirteen and decided to secretly follow his older sister Evelyn when she and a local boy visited the town of Meaux to the northeast of the Land of Queen Mary. They had gone to the battle site from the hundred-years-war, where England's King Henry V had a great victory.

It had gotten dark out and Callum was exploring the ruins when he came upon what he mistakenly believed was the 400 year-old-ghost from the battle. In reality, it was a white nightshirt that had blown off of a clothesline and became tangled in a nearby tree. Something caused it to move, probably and animal or bird, and Callum turned and ran in the direction his sister had gone. He charged right into the ruined building that he had seen his sister going into, interrupting a pair of partially disrobed youngsters in a romantic situation. Both Stuart youngsters informed their mother of their own version of the story and both were subsequently punished."

Abby says, "Oh, now that's not fair! You know if I ever meet his poor sister the first thing I'm going to imagine is the girl caught in an intimate position by her little brother." Pepe says, "Well, if it will make you feel any better of her, the local boy wasn't just a farmer, he was the son of a French nobleman, and they had been seeing each other socially for a few weeks at that point." "But never un-chaperoned again after that incident," his wife adds.

"Scared by a nightgown is quite embarrassing, but didn't he ever do something ridiculous? I have no brothers or sisters, but I have cousins by the score. One of them once convinced me to disguise myself as a man to try to sneak into one of the Gentlemen's clubs in New Orleans. I was too stupid to realize I was never going to pass as a man at my age. Tall enough, but too curvy... and my face! I was caught out by one of my father's friends there, and if I'd ever earned a whipping I did that night. Thankfully for me my father didn't believe in those. I had to help in the kitchen for the next week. That didn't work out so well as a punishment though. I rather liked cooking and now I can make quite a lovely chicken pie."

Pepe says, "The only truly embarrassing thing I can think of was the time that his Aunt first taught him how to do a Leviate spell. We were in the barn so as to be out-of-sight of anybody watching and Callum had not been completely forthcoming about not knowing the spell, having experimented with it before in Scotland. But his plan to impress his Aunt at being a quick learner of magic backfired, as he failed to take into account the enhancement that the proximity to the magical well causes. He planned to rise up a few feet on his supposed first attempt, but shot up into the air like a fireworks rocket, striking his head on the roof to the first hayloft and knocking himself unconscious."

This laugh was hale and hearty. "Now that one I can believe! And don't think I'd think any less of sister Evelyn. Anyone who thinks young people aren't up to that sort of thing is blind or a fool, or was never young themselves." They now cross into the city proper. At the far end of the current boulevard the very top of the Arc de Triumph can be seen. Callum begins to stir.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 119, "Complications can be fun", September 12, 1882, 11:00 PM.

"Oh, beautiful city," Abby said, looking out the carriage windows, but at least mindful not to look like a country girl getting her first glimpse of Paris. "Sleeping Beauty awakes," she chuckled. Callum sits up, stretches and yawns. "I feel considerably better," he states, adding, "I think that the last time I slept was early on Monday" (it is now Wednesday evening). Looking across at the other three he says, "I trust that you had a fine journey?" Abby chuckled and smiled at him. "Delightful. Although I was apparently a much more troublesome child than you were." "That would not surprise me for one second," he replies.

The driver turns onto the Champs-Elysees and soon reaches the front doors of the aforementioned Cabaret le Ledu. It is brightly lit and there appear to be hundreds of patrons. Pepe says, "We will be staying in the city with friends. Have the carriage pick us up after lunch, say around 2:00PM at the Cafe Andre." "Very good," Callum replies. The two elves stand to depart as the driver holds the door for them. "Thank you for your company," Abby said sincerely. "It was a pleasure to meet you. Enjoy your evening." "And you as well," Maracita replies.

Callum tells the driver "17 Rue de Beaujolais". He steps back inside. Abby says, "Please tell me that's a restaurant, because if I don't eat soon, my stomach may devour me from the inside." He replies, "Not just a restaurant, Le Grand Vefour, the first and finest grand restaurant of Paris." "Cal, that's rather extravagant, isn't it? And..." She paused. "I don't know how watched a personage you are in Paris, but reports would easily get back to your father that you were seen in my company."

He laughs "Abby, being seen with you is the least of my worries. Once my father learns of my being discharged from the Queen's service he might disown me. So allow me this extravagance while I am temporarily in his good graces. Besides, you may not have ever heard this before but...(lowering his voice) my family happens to be well off financially." She replies, "Alright, we'll throw caution to the wind and enjoy ourselves. I can't say I mind...There has been a distinct lack of the finer things in my life lately. I missed all the fancy parties in Egypt, after all."

He replies, "Yes, due to your insistence on rescuing archaeologists sentenced to death and stopping royal families from being poisoned. You miss all the best social functions that way." They soon arrive at the famed dining establishment. Abby had heard of the restaurant before. It was founded in 1820 by Jean Vefour and quickly established a reputation as the premiere dining establishment for the upper classes. They enter the establishment. Despite the late hour the room is three-quarters full, although the empty tables that are there ensure that the couple does not have to wait to be seated.

Abby says, "To be honest, I wasn't sorry to miss the formal functions. I can do fancy manners and small talk, but I find it exhausting." As they were shown to their table she said to him, quietly, "What a beautiful place. I didn't expect the atmosphere to be so intimate. And the smells are amazing." "You deserve it," he states. They are given menus and Cal is handed a wine list. "What looks good to you?" he asks Abby. "Something hearty," she said, immediately dismissing the idea of any fish or anything light. She was far too hungry to play around with light fare. "Mmm, Chateaubriand. Good bread. Perhaps some harico vert or the garlic balsamic roasted brussels sprouts. Of course the French Onion Soup."

The waiter is summoned and the order is given. He selects a beef dish for himself and orders an excellent vintage red wine to go with the meal. The wine is brought over by the sommelier, who opens the bottle and pours the wine after Callum inspects the cork and samples it. Once they are alone again Callum removes a small envelope from his shirt pocket, pouring a fine blue powder into his palm. He drops the powder onto the candle in the center of the table and says a short incantation. "A privacy spell," he tells her, "Now nobody can eavesdrop on our conversation. Now tell me, what did you and my elvan friends talk about, aside from my boring adolescence."

"How long have you been wanting to ask me that question?" she teased. "Since I woke up," he answers in complete seriousness. She says, "We spoke a bit of your cousin Meaghan, who I gather is NOT well-liked among you. We spoke a bit about your family and who's who, including your Aunt's late-life romance. Also, what it's like for them to live here and visit Paris as elves. But mostly it felt like an extended job interview. They were very interested in my areas of expertise in archeology, whether I was more interested in the history or the science. And they did tell me that on Queen Mary's land there are ruins to be excavated and studied."

He says, "Okay, that's interesting. Did they get at all specific about the ruins? Wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. Do you think that you passed the interview? And are you at all interested in the position?" She replies, "They weren't terribly specific, but they asked what I knew about the Carnutes and my experience with Roman ruins, so it stands to reason they're from the time of the Roman Empire.

Whether I passed or not, I said quite honestly that I would need more experience and more study before I would be ready to take something like this on. I am interested, but I'm not certain. My current employment... I like the people, but this particular trip to Egypt didn't turn out as planned. And I get the feeling that this happens with Mrs. Parker's group quite a lot. When there was a fight there was something... I can't describe it, but something in me got really excited. But traveling with her group could help me get the experience I need to be ready for this challenge. I'm a bit at a loss for where I should be."

He says, "Well then, let we try to further entice you. The magical well actually has two origin points, 700 years apart. Both times were for the purpose of enchanting magical items with a mixture of earth and wizard magics to repel invaders. The first was by the Carnutes during the 2nd or 3rd century B.C. to help repel the Romans.

The second was seven-centuries or so later by the Roman General Flavius Aetius. The Eagle on his standard was magical and helped him repel the army of Atilla the Hun at the Battle of the Catalaunian Plains, also called the Battle of Chalons, in the year 451 A.D. That was Atilla's first real defeat, and also the Roman Empires last great victory. The magical well story of the eagle's creation and enchantment was well known in its day, but everybody assumed that the magical well was located close to the battle site rather than seventy-five miles west of there.

All recorded accounts of both stories risked being destroyed in Mary Stuart's time, as both the pro-wizard factions and pro-clerical factions considered it heretical since it referenced both types of magic. So she collected all books and manuscripts that referenced the well and its origins. Those volumes are now in our own private library. From our analysis of the information it appears that there was a small Carnutes village on the site when the well was first created. During Flavius Aetius's day a Temple dedicated to the Roman God Atlas stood on the site, but it was eventually destroyed when barbarian invaders swept over what is now France."

Abby asks, "What do you hope to accomplish with an excavation, Cal? Is your eventual goal to heal the breach between Arcane and Clerical countries? If it is, how would what you find here help? Much as I hate to say it, in the current atmosphere it would more likely cause an outright war over the property, and perhaps its eventual destruction."

He answers, "We want to find out what occurred in 200 to 300 B.C. and then again in 451 A.D. to make the well function. The ancients had the answers, we do not. Yes, it radiates magical properties and makes magic work in an enhanced way, but the true power is in using the well to create great magical items. We do not know how to do this. And yes, we know that the current atmosphere is not conducive, which is why we are maintaining the secrecy. If we can actually get the well to work, then through what we create, we can then convince others of the importance of blending different forms of magic. This may not even happen in my lifetime, but I owe it to the family to try."

She says, "I'd by lying if I said I wasn't interested. It's fascinating, and to work on something that could eventually change our world so radically, so much for the better, it's almost irresistible. But there are issues. I have an obligation to Mrs. Parker's group just now. Of course I can always leave the employment, but for the first time in a long time I feel like I could actually make friends. I know you will say I could make friends here, and I could. But these people could also be a resource for me, or us, later on. I'm hesitant to cut those ties yet."

Callum says, "Abby, I haven't offered you a job yet. First of all, I can't, that would have to be a decision of the whole Stuart Magic Council. And I hadn't told Pepe and Maria to even discuss that topic with you. I shouldn't be surprised though, Pepe is always twelve steps ahead of me....never play chess with him." She adds, "And you and I both know, even Bast knows, that you and I do not have a strictly professional relationship. I'm not saying that it couldn't all work out beautifully. But we must admit that it could get complicated."

He says, Abby, both of us have uncertain futures. Part of me wants to ask Mrs. Parker for employment, although I am also needed here, and working for Queen Neferka is also tempting, not that she's asked me yet either. For that matter, I don't even know that I've been fired yet from the Queen's service, although knowing Campion Bond as I do I cannot imagine a circumstance where I won't be. As for our relationship, I can honestly say that I have never asked any of my professional associates to a romantic dinner at Paris's finest restaurant, so consider yourself fortunate. Plus one other thing that I learned long ago, complications can be fun."

A smile split her face. "Oh yes, they can. But you and your friends can't ask so many pointed questions without raising some expectations," she laughed. "I know that everything is uncertain now. But as long as you were telling me this much, I felt it only fair to be upfront and honest with you about what I'm thinking. And now, isn't that enough thinking? After our very well-behaved and proper dinner, we can go somewhere and cause a scandal." She asked then, from curiosity rather than concern, "How likely are we to end up in the gossip pages?"

He answers, "Not likely at all given what we did earlier today. We returned the former Empress and Mr. Duruy to Paris, and they are also now both married to each other. I would be shocked if anything else that happened today to anybody in society is even given consideration for the gossip columns." She says, "Oh, that's right! And it likely won't take long for word of the defeat of the Weekly Wizard's to start moving around. A lot of it will be speculation, but Paris loves speculation if I remember her right." He answers, "Yes indeed. Given how close we are to the Weekly Wizard's situation I wouldn't dare to try to make any inquiries. But I did ask Pepe and Maracita to find out what they could while they're here."

She asks, "Can you tell me what you've been doing since we saw each other last? I know obviously you've been working for the Service, but can you tell me about it? And I do understand if you can't." He says, "Well, now, that puts me in an awkward position. I told you I would keep no secrets from you, but quite a bit of that is not mine to share and doing so could compromise others who I work with." She says, "And that's why I said I understand if you can't. Not every secret is yours, especially when your job is secrets. I'm sure you understand that anything entrusted to me by Mrs. Parker's group must stay with me, too.

It really has been years, hasn't it? I've worked in Egypt, Greece, and Norway since I graduated. Then of course I spent about a year back home in New Orleans after my father passed, helping my mother adjust and get settled. She's doing well now, but it was difficult for a while. I was excited to get the offer from Mrs. Parker's group. It's a chance to travel to a lot of different places, but home base is in Florida, not too far from Mama."

He laughs "And here I thought that I was becoming an international spy to see the world! You've been to far more places than I have. The only two countries outside of Great Britain that I have been to since our previous meeting have been Egypt and France, both of which you've been at today! Essentially I received training at the Pitt Rivers and Petrie Estates, helped my team establish themselves here at the Land of Queen Mary, and then went to Egypt with them last summer.

As for my secrets, I can tell you a little about the organization itself. Torchwood was created by Queen Victoria to investigate threats to the Empire related to wizardry as well as those of extra-dimensional and extra-terrestrial origins. We are funded through British Military Intelligence, although the operatives are all civilians. That is primarily to establish plausible deniability in the event that we are caught, so that there will be no international incidents that can be blamed on the Queen. That separation also gives us the freedom to use magic to accomplish our tasks."

Abby raised her eyebrows. "Well, my travel was an unusual situation. One of my father's friends was able to get me recommended as an assistant to an archeologist who works with a group that had several sites working, so we traveled between them. But hold on a moment here, extra-dimensional and extra-terrestrial?" He replies, "Why yes. You just met Bast. She doesn't live here on Earth does she?"

Abby says, "I suppose not. But I'm an American, I don't generally think of gods and governments in the same sentence. Keeping an eye on the actions of gods wouldn't seem... I don't know, necessary to me. Bast is the first time I've seen evidence of them taking any kind of direction action, after all." He replies, "Not all extra-dimensional or extra-terrestrial creatures are deities, far from it. Think of most as being mortal minions that the deities command, or in many cases, mortal minions that got tired of being lackeys to the gods so came here to live instead.

There are lots of opportunities here. I know of one man from another planet who works as a butler for a London aristocrat." She replies, "Oh, now you can't be serious. I can believe someone would become tired of being bossed around by a deity, but to become a butler? That's one too far." Callum says, "He also serves as the aristocrat's bodyguard and nurse, putting his prior military training to work. He if from a race that is dedicated to profound loyalty and honor, so serving another does him well." "Mmm, hmm, and next you'll be telling me he looks like a potato and aristocrat is a pre-historic lizard," she teased.

The food is delivered to the table and looks wonderful. Callum must also be rather hungry as table conversation is at a bare minimum for the next twenty minutes. When the last of the plates are close to empty and the wine bottle is near the bottom he says, "I think I made the restaurant choice." Abby says, "I think you may be a little tipsy. You left out a very important word. Right or wrong choice? I've quite enjoyed it, myself."

Callum replies, "Then it is the right choice. And you may be right about the wine, it has actually been over a month since I had anything alcoholic, I seem to be out of practice." She answers, "I think you should have some more; it'll make it easier for me to have my wicked way with you later." He smiles and says, "As if either of us need alcohol for that. But once this meal is finished we do have a piece of business to take care of, a telegram to Queen Neferka letting her know that we will be delayed for a few days." Abby asks, "What do you plan to tell her? Minor repairs seems like the obvious choice. You plan for us to be here several days?"

He says, "Now here is where it gets interesting. We need to keep the message cryptic enough for Neferka to understand, but vague enough that if it falls into the hands of the French Ruling Council or the Weekly Wizards they will not understand it. We could leave tomorrow, but I would prefer to go on either Friday or Saturday to give my staff time to fully examine the dirigible, especially the levitation devices on the gondola."

Abby says, "That will be a challenge. Any message going to the Queen, or even to Egypt could be suspect. I don't suppose there's any third party you trust to send the telegram to, and then have them send it on?" He replies, "Ah yes, that would work. Paris to Cairo by way of Glasgow." She suggests, "The wording will still have to be cryptic, but it's less likely to be looked at. Minor repairs then? Or perhaps a suggestion that we need to lay low? I'm not sure about that one; if we had started back right away we should have been fine."

He says, "Yes, but if we had started back right away you would not have a full picture of who I am. That is very important. I was dishonest with you before, I do not wish to do so now. The Land of Queen Mary is not something I could have just described to you, it needed to be seen. Plus, no matter how old I become I am still a boy who likes to play with toys. After flying the dirigible all of the way from Egypt to France how could I not want to have one of my own?" She reached across the table and took his hand. "Cal, the Land of Queen Mary is obviously an enormous part of who you are. But it's not all you are. It will take a long time to get a full picture of this man." She smiled and shook her head. "Not many boys can just decide to copy the dirigible they were lent."

He says, "Yes, but if I can then why shouldn't I? Torchwood's research indicated that the French had four working models. Three of those were now destroyed. But those four were constructed somewhere, so there will probably be more built in the same location going forward. The remaining one will be staying with Queen Neferka. She will need it to control the flow of ships in the canal if she wants to maintain her threat about countries not using it until Egypt's treasures are returned. So that means I need to make another, just as I am equally sure your Mrs. Parker is going to do the same with that Dreadnaught gondola that she commandeered."

The waiter comes and brings them the dessert menu. Abby looked of the menu until the waiters left the table. "I didn't say you shouldn't. But it's true I'm not used to being around people who can just casually decide to build their own dirigible," she laughed. "Mrs. Parker may do the same with the Dreadnaught, but it's not exactly the most subtle way to travel. Mmm, I think pot de creme today." "Make that two," he tells the waiter. After the man departs the table Callum says, "Okay, so how about this. I send my Uncle Lord Galloway a cable asking for him to notify Egypt's new monarch that we plan to arrive in Egypt on either Friday or Saturday to discuss future archaeological expeditions in Egypt, and that we will be bringing a wedding present for her." She paused for a moment. "My urge to over-explain wants to add more, but you are right I think to keep it simple."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 120, "Paris at Night", September 12, 1882, 11:45 PM.

Abby adds, "And it's not as if Mr. Eastman and Miss West aren't there to smooth things over. I would hope they could all at least understand that you would have needed to sleep before making another long flight. Of course, Ruby didn't seem to have much sense of any need to hide anything from Queen Neferka. By the time we get back she will probably have us in a passionate but tragic love affair on the scale of Romeo and Juliet," she laughed. "But I depend on Mr. Eastman to keep her from saying anything she shouldn't." He replies, "Hmmm.....Romeo and Juliet you say. Can I request a different ending?"

Abby answers, "I'm the wrong girl for a Romeo and Juliet ending. I never did learn to swoon or moon over a man. I'm afraid I'm not a proper southern belle after all," she said, letting her own natural accent come out. "I'm afraid if a tragic ending came after us, we'd just kick it in the teeth in make up our own." He says, "I concur, truth be told, I'm not exactly the right type for Romeo either. Although my father certainly has lived up to his role in that production."

She says, "I wouldn't want a Romeo anyway. One moment he's in love with one woman, the next he's in love with a teenage girl for no reason other than he looked at her. That's not romance, that's insanity. Cal, I don't know your father. One incident, even one that was aimed at me and hurt me tremendously, doesn't make someone. But it sounds like there's history I don't know. Why was I so offensive to him? Don't worry, I won't take it personally. He doesn't know me, so it can't be personal."

Callum says, "It's not who you are, it's who you aren't. His primary concern is increasing the family's standing. He has always resented that it is his older brother who heads the family rather than him. For that matter, he resents that the House of Stuart no longer rules Great Britain. He has always had high hopes that his son would gain favorable standing with the Queen and then have opportunities to marry upward." "And you don't share that view," she said. "And you getting released from Her Majesty's service thwarts his hope of you finding favor with the Queen. And I suppose he has always tried to control what you do through threats in disinheritance. But if he follows through, who does he have to pin his ambitions on then?"

Callum says, "I do have two younger sisters, who might eventually give him Grandchildren, but they would not bear the Stuart name." "And the name's the thing. It seems there is nothing to know of him that you cannot learn just by knowing the name. And that is sad, Cal. To have never grown beyond your name. Have you ever at least felt that he loved your immediate family, just because you were his children? Just because your mother is his wife?"

He says, "Love of children is a interesting concept among British nobility. They usually tend to express that love by hiring the best nannies and tutors, and then by sending their children to the finest boarding schools and then universities. Based upon that criteria, he has fulfilled those obligations." She says, "We have all that in the south, too, if you're rich enough. I adored my governess, but she never told the place of my parents. Well, I can feel free to dislike your father as much as I want now, as he sounds thoroughly unlikeable. How did you turn out so different?"

He smiles and says, "Well, first of all, I haven't had any children. Seriously though, how I live my life really has nothing to do with my parents, other than the Stuart heritage of maintaining Mary Stuart's vision. So as it see it, I now have five possible choices left open to me, I can stay at the Land of Queen Mary, I can request an office job with Torchwood, I can ask Queen Neferka for a job as an Egyptian archaeologist, I can ask Mrs. Parker for a job as an American archaeologist, or I can walk the entire length of the Great Wall of China." "Go with China," she deadpanned. "It would keep you busy for quite a while."

Abby waited a beat, then said to Callum, "You don't lack for options. But right now you don't even know what tomorrow will bring and you still have a dirigible to fly back to Egypt. I understand the urge to plan ahead, but this may be one of those times where the decision will just have to come when the time is right. Or you could try flipping a coin. Nothing like leaving it to chance to help you figure out what you really want." He says, "The coin flip only works when there are two options to pick from, so I would have to narrow my list. Yes, I can wait to finally decide. We'll spend tomorrow here and head back on Friday. I should make a decision by the time we get there if I am going to be asking either of those ladies for a job. And then again, there's still the China option."

Abby replies, "That sounds like a good idea to me. If you don't mind my saying, I'd think twice before deciding to ask Queen Neferka for work. I didn't spend much time with her, but there was something about her. She will be a shrewd, intelligent ruler. Egypt is in excellent hands, I think. But she seems remote. And you know too, in every great ruler's story there are almost always some dark, ugly decisions. Just seriously consider if you can match wits with her, or you may end up helping things happen that you don't like.

I'll need to get my hands on some clothes, and I am having a bath tomorrow. A long, soaking, hot bath. Cantrips can keep you clean, but there is nothing like a hot soak. I'm sure I could borrow some more clothes. But I'm in Paris. Why would I not shop?" Callum says, "Indeed, some of the best shops will be closed now but there should be more than enough open for us to find you something. Let's made that quick detour over to the telegraph office and then we can go shopping." Abby says, "Oh, I had thought of coming back into the city tomorrow to do that. I had the impression you'd be busy for at least part of the day. Your anticipated meeting," she said. "But I certainly won't object to going now. I'll really just need some night clothes and a day dress."

He says, "Paris is an around-the-clock city from spring to autumn, we will find somewhere." They head outside where their carriage is waiting in the adjacent lot. He quickly transports them to the telegraph office, with them arriving just after midnight. The place is surprisingly busy, with dozens of well dressed men sending and receiving telegrams from the clerks. Callum listens for a few seconds and says, "Ah, that makes sense, these men work for French finance. The San Francisco Stock Exchange just closed a few minutes ago." She says, "Dealing in gold, I take it." They soon find an available clerk and the telegram is sent to Glasgow.

Callum turns to her and tells the driver to take them to the main shopping district. She asks, "So what do you have planned after I pick up what I need? Or is it a very great secret?" He says, "My secret is that I have no plans. What would you like to do?" She replies, "I really have no idea. Something with dancing and a show? The place where Pepe and Maracita were going sounded wonderful, but I'm sure we'd want to let them have their own night. They did mention the Moulin Rouge." He says, "Okay, so we can either go there directly and you could do your shopping tomorrow when the carriage comes in to pick up Pepe and Maracita, or we can do your shopping now and then go to the Mouin Rouge."

She says, "I can do the shopping tomorrow, that was what I'd imagined anyway. Especially if you have to send the carriage back in any case. Let's go have fun." Callum tells the driver "82 Boulevard de Clichy." He soon brings them to the foot of Montmarche Hill, the district of the city's young-at-heart. Abby spots the distinctive red windmill on its roof of the Moulin Rouge Cabaret as they near the building. She asks, "Have you been here before?" He says, "Oh yes, Pepe and Maracita brought me here the week that I became the Landholder. I have been here a few times since then when my Father was in the city entertaining business associates. It is a lively night spot."

Abby answers, "That sounds like just what I need. This week has been... long. And exhausting. And terrifying. To be here now seems almost unreal, and I'm going to enjoy every moment of it even if it turns out to be just a dream." He says, "Tonight will be great, let loose and have fun. Tomorrow will be even better, as we basically have no plans, other than both of us taking a day off before returning to Egypt."

"I'm not sure which sounds better. Now, be a gentleman and help a Lady down," Abby said with a smile. When the carriage came to a full stop Cal stepped down and offered her a hand. Her ears were already filled with the music coming from inside. The faint smell of tobacco smoke and liquor wafted from the door. This place, half a world away from New Orleans, suddenly felt like home. She lifted her chin, took the offered hand and stepped out of the carriage. "Buy me a drink?" she grinned. They make their way over to the bar and Callum order the drinks. A long row of dancing girls are on stage dancing the can-can.

Abby and Cal spent the next several hours inside the Moulin Rouge. After the famous can-can, a singer took the stage and favored them with several gorgeous ballads and a few bawdy tunes. Afterward, the music started up and the patrons started dancing. It was the first night in a long time that Abby didn't feel the weight of any responsibility weighing her down. She and Cal danced and laughed, and she even danced with a few other amiable gents who wanted nothing more than to spend a few minutes with a pretty lady.

There was a difference between the Moulin Rouge and the clubs in New Orleans. Back home, the clubs and the music in them were a celebration of life, a chance to be together and be alive. Here, they felt like a celebration of the art, a place to see and be seen. It was both more and less. Perhaps it was that the Moulin Rouge was a place one came for fantasy and escape, and the clubs back home where a place to come to knit the community together. Both were delightful in their own ways.

Things at the club begin to wind down and the happy couple exit at the hour of 3:00AM. The carriage picks them up for the return ride to the Land of Queen Mary. Once they were settled inside the carriage, Abby leaned back and released a sigh. "I think I may have had a bit too much champagne," she laughed lightly. "Thank you. I needed that. What an amazing place, the show was wonderful." "We both needed a night off," he replies.

He says, "When we get back to the house a guest room will have been drawn up for you. Feel free to sleep in tomorrow as late as you would like." She replies, "I was already going to do that. I know I slept on the way up, but just like you it was days without sleep and with very little food. I definitely need more rest." She pulled her feet up under her and leaned against Cal. "I may start now." She was quiet for a minute. "I'm glad we stumbled into each other, Cal." "And I as well" he replies. She quickly falls asleep.

When they arrive back at the house he awakens her and helps her into the manor and up the staircase. He wishes her goodnight and gives her a short but passionate kiss on the lips. A maid who introduces herself as Evette then shows Abigail to her room. The room is large, approximately fifteen-by-twenty-five feet in size. The outer wall is stone with stained glass windows. The inner walls are a thick dark oak. The furnishings and wall decor are made of the finest materials and date from the time that Mary Stuart would have been the Queen of France.

Evette turns down the bed, with has an elaborate quilt depicting the Stuart tartan. Evette and draws Abby's attention to a pitcher of ice water that has been left on a bedside table along with crystal glasses. She then shows Abby an almost hidden doorway in the wall that leads to a private bathroom with both hot and cold running water. The tub and sink are porcelain with gold plating on the metal bases. She asks if Abigail needs anything further.

"No. No, thank you, you're very kind." The young lady curtsied and left the room, and Abby hoped that she had not been obliged to wait up for them to come home. Any other day Abby would have poked around the room, looking at this and that. But tonight she just picked up the nightdress that had been thoughtfully left for her and went into the bathroom. The basics had been provided for her, and she took care of her bedtime routine quickly. She slipped into the luxurious bed and pulled up the covers. Any bed was luxurious, she had learned this over the years of sleeping wherever she could find a spot, but this one was especially so. She barely had time to release a deep sigh before she was asleep again.

When Abigail awakens the sun is shining through the fold where the draperies meet. Looking across the room to a clock on the mantle above the fireplace she sees that it is now 10:30AM. Abby stretched, the pulled the covers up a bit tighter. For a moment, she hoped she might sleep a bit more, but the colored sunlight behind the draperies was enticing, and eventually she pushed back the covers and swung her feet to the floor.

First order of business was a bath. Her own dress had been cleaned, and another had been left in the room that looked as if it would fit, and very well. She went into the pristine white bathroom. Tiles lined the walls up to the height of her shoulder, where the same rich, dark wood as decorated the bedroom reached up to the high ceiling. The accents were all deep green. The towels, the mat on the floor, the delicate knotwork hand-painted on the tiles as a border around the room. It was by far the richest room she'd ever had to herself.

The water ran hot almost immediately, and Abby filled the tub, leaving just enough room to fit herself in without water spilling out. As she sank in, she noticed for the first time several ugly bruises from the last few days, and a yellowish tinge to her arms at the shoulders where her arms had gotten pulled. The hot water helped soak the aches and pains away, and when the water finally began to cool she pulled herself out and dressed in the lovely red dress that had been left for her.

Back out in the main bedroom, she looked at the bell pull that would summon a servant to the room. She didn't really need anything, but she also didn't really know where she was going in the house. Finally she decided just to go out and see what she would find, which would hopefully be breakfast of some kind.

Abby finds herself in the middle of a central corridor of the second floor interior. The corridor is illuminated by magical light, is ten feet wide and that runs over twenty feet both left and right. There is another door directly opposite the one she exited and two more pairs of doors opposite each other on the same falls fifteen feet both left and right. The wall at both ends of the corridor to the right has a pair of doors on them while the wall at the corridor's end on the left has three doors on it. She also sees to the right where the first floor staircase reaches the second floor.

As certain as she was that she must be the last one sleeping, it still didn't seem very polite to stick her nose into what were certain to be private, family rooms. Instead, she turned to the right and followed the staircase back down to the first floor. As she arrives in the main foyer, a servant woman who is busy polishing the statue of Mary Stuart stops working and approaches. "Would Miss Marsters care for her morning meal?" the woman asks.

"I would, if you would be so kind to direct me," Abby smiled, taming the New Orleans accent in her French. She had been in many places before that had staff and servants, and she had never felt odd about it. But here... Perhaps it was because she was the only guest, and probably an object of curiosity. The best thing to do was behave as they expected her to, with an extra helping of kindness on top.

Abigail is escorted over to the front door on the east wall which is opened to her. Inside is an elaborate formal dining room that is indeed fit for a Queen. The room is thirty-foot square with a pair of rectangular tables set out to form "T". White linen tablecloths cover both tables, but only three place settings are laid out, at the bottom section of the T along the north wall nearest a set of swinging double doors that presumably go to the kitchen. The tables settings are at the far end and then also to the chairs immediately right and left of the end. The servant holds one of the side chairs for Abby and then excuses herself, heading out the door they entered rather than the one to the kitchen area.

It was uncomfortably quiet alone in the room. It was stunning, with the bright sunlight streaming in through the windows and setting the dark wood paneling glowing. Long, cream-colored draperies kept the dark panels from making the room feel somber, instead providing a balancing contrast for the light. She could imagine the room in the evening, with the elaborate crystal chandelier hanging above the table brightly lit with candles, their flickering flames reflecting of the gleaming wood.

What she couldn't imagine was a warm family meal. The table in her parents home, whether it was just the three of them or Aunts, Uncles, and cousins helping to fill the room, there was always laughter, and usually a hand getting slapped somewhere. Neti, the family cook, was often at the table with them; more often than she wasn't. But perhaps the problem was what she knew of Cal's family, and not the room. She sighed, then looked around to see if there happened to be a newspaper nearby, or perhaps a bell she was supposed to ring.

Abigail does not have to wait long until somebody enters. She recognizes the older man as Charles Beauclerk VI, but he is attired quite differently than when she first met him the previous day. At that time he had on denim overalls and a plaid flannel shirt. Today he is wearing full Scottish attire, with a pressed linen cream-colored shirt, a kilt of the Royal Stuart tartan with a matching tam-style hat, a wide belt with sporron and on the belt is an ancient single-shot solid metal pistol used in Charles Stuart's day, full knee socks with garters, high boots, and a bouquet of fresh flowers in his hand.

He moves forward and bows to Abigail and presents her with the flowers saying, "Welcome to our household." "Oh, they're lovely, thank you!" she said, taking the bouquet, a mixture of stunning roses and wildflowers. "But what's this all about? You do cut quite a dashing figure this morning, I must say." He says, "Last night I did not know that we would be having guests, or I would have dressed accordingly. Today I am well aware of that fact." He seats himself on the side opposite her. "I had only a light snack earlier, planning to join your and Callum for your morning meal. He has been notified that you are down here and should be joining us momentarily."

"Neither of you needed to wait on me, I know I must have slept quite late. Although I am glad to have the company, and the flowers," she added, taking a deep breath of their sweet fragrance." He replies, "Mr. Stuart was not waiting, I only now awakened him, per his request."

Abby asked Cal's cousin Charles, "What are your plans for the day, if I may be so bold? I assume Cal will be busy with business, he's been away so long and leaving again so soon." Charles replies, "Mr. Stuart gives me wide discretion in the daily operation of this estate, so I will probably only require an hour of his time to address open matters. Following the meal either he or I can give you the full tour of this property. You will be alone for a short time this afternoon, as Miss. Chester has called for a meeting of the senior managers, although between the music room and the library I am certain you will be able to find something to keep yourself occupied during that time."

"I never had any trouble keeping myself busy in a library. I had thought to go back into Paris and do a bit of shopping, but seeing that my need has been provided for," she indicated the red gown she was wearing, "that doesn't seem to be necessary. And if there's a meeting, I suspect it may have already left to pick up Pepe and Maracita. Charles says, "Oh, it won't be leaving for another forty-five minutes. The carriage can go rather fast, about twice the speed that you are probably familiar with in the United States."

Abby says, "I apologize, about the meeting I mean. I think that's my fault. I think there are some concerns about how forthcoming Cal has been with me." Charles smiles and says, "Don't blame yourself, it was inevitable. You may have been the catalyst for this conversation, but some of what will be said is long overdue, and would have occurred eventually." Abby was quiet for a moment. "When family is involved, a lot of things so unsaid too long. Hopefully any hurt feelings won't linger too long after the air gets cleared. It sounds like you have a few things you'll be glad to get off your chest, too."

He says, "Oh yes, indeed. Miss Chester feels a sense of entitlement. Her grandfather and mother were both the landholders, and she was actually born here. But she lacks the necessary skills and mindset to actually do any of the jobs she feels should be hers." Abby replies, "It must be hard though, to see your Mother pass something on to a cousin instead of her daughter, even if it was the right decision for the land and the mission. As I said, family."

He replies, "Actually, her mother left when Miss Meagan was just a toddler, so wouldn't have passed it on to her. Mr. Chester's work in Sterling required him to bring his family there. A number of related Stuarts served short-term until Miss Baronese decided to take the job. She was here for many decades. Callum was right to invite Meagan back here, she never fit in well back in Scotland and was somewhat of an embarrassment to her Father after her Mother's passing. He loved her but could not adjust to the impulsive magic use of a sorcerer, always fearing the wrath of the church would come down on the family. And Meagan is a wonderful sorcerer and is generally well-liked. Things would be a lot harder here without her. It's really only myself, Callum, Pepe and Maracita who she constantly clashes with."

Abby replies, "So she has a wonderful gift, and a strong one, but it cuts two ways. Her father feared it. It brought her here, but still holds her back because it isn't the wizard's gift. Something she rightly esteems about herself also drags her down." Abby shook her head. "It must be maddening. And it would undermine your sense of who you are and your strengths. No wonder she fights so hard for what, to her, would be recognition of her talents."

He smiles and says, "Ah, so you understand. That's the hardest part, in so many ways she is correct, she should have either Callum's job, my job or Pepe's job. But with her temper and closed-mindedness, that would not necessary be the best thing for the family. Well, today we will at least have a spirited discussion on the subject." Abby replies, "I don't envy you or Cal this morning. I'd guess I'm the most content person here this morning, with such delightful company and a beautiful bouquet. And absolutely no obligations." "And a true ray of sunshine," states Callum as he enters the room.

[We return to Zakazik with the next chapter then alternate chapters between Paris and Egypt after that.]

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 121, "Negotiation Parameters" , September 12, 1882, 6:00 P.M.

In Zakazik, George and Ruby are approaching the dining room of the Grand Hotel. Unlike prior visits to this room, when it was open to the public, it looks remarkably different now. Most of the tables and chairs have been removed, with one long table now in the center. However, this table currently is not set. Instead, there is a smaller table with only four chairs that has been set and arranged over near the fireplace on the far wall. A small fire is burning and throwing off a variety of colors, mostly reds and oranges, but with some blue, green and purple streams. Several guards stand by the entrance way to the room. Five of them are human but the one who catches George and Ruby's eye is Neferka's Ogre bodyguard, who they have not seen since earlier that morning.

Ruby hooked her arm through George's as they strolled into the dining room. She nodded at the ogre. "Good evening Mengesha. I hope all is well, with you and with the Queen?" He nods and says, "Indeed it is Miss West, Mr. Eastman. I greatly thank the both of you for all that you have done today to help keep the Queen safe. I would have been with her at all times if she had not ordered me elsewhere." Ruby says, "Of course, I am certain no one blames you for being away. We know you would give your life for the Queen." Ruby glanced back over the room. "So what is going on? I thought there would be a big dinner here tonight." He replies, "Actually no, there will just be the four of you."

Ruby says, "The four of us? George and I, the Queen and... Do you know who the last person is?" He replies, "Her sister Amisi." "Oh, yes, well, thank you." She smiled at the ogre before sweeping into the room. " I am starving, I hope the Queen comes soon. I hadn't realized how hungry I was until just now. Luckily the food here is very good." They do not have to wait long for the two young ladies to arrive. They come with a full complement of servants, although most are left at the doorway. Ruby and George rise as they see the Queen and her sister.

The women enter and Neferka says for them all to sit. They are no sooner seated with the waiters come forward with the first course of what appears to be a multi-course meal. Their glasses are also filled, with four before each person. One is filled with water, another with wine, a third with fruit juice and the fourth with whiskey. The waiters then all depart, giving privacy to the quartet. "Welcome and our thanks for the invitation your highnesses" says George as they sit. "Amazing what this place can put together when there is a royal decree" adds George with a grin. "I know I, and I suspect Ruby, haven't had a decent meal in quite some time."

Neferka says, "Yes, and we will not be interrupted. We should have an excellent fourteen-course meal, one that is long overdue in my opinion." "Fourteen courses? Good thing I'm hungry," Ruby laughed. Neferka continues, "Now, Ruby and George, you've met my sister Amisi but I do not think that you were ever formally introduced. She is the closest of my two sisters to my age, which also now makes her the heir to the throne. That is why I insisted that she accompany me here. None of us princesses were ever taught to rule, but I at least paid attention. Amisi means Flower in Egyptian, and she unfortunately has always been treated like a delicate little flower. That ends today, as she will now undergo a crash course in leadership with me as her professor.

She turns towards her sister and says "Amisi. I wanted Barrister Sefu to remain in Cairo for the short term because we need to negotiate peace accords with both the rebel army and the British forces. We need the rebels to disarm and disband, and we need the British to leave Egypt altogether. As my father's former Chief of Staff he brings far too much baggage into these delicate negotiations. Mr. Eastman, however, can be seen as totally impartial and has the skill set to accomplish what I need."

She turns to George and says, "You will be adequately compensated for your time Mr. Eastman. The first thing you need to communicate to both parties is that Ahmed Orabi will receive no special treatment from me during these negotiations. His role as my husband and consort will be irrelevant to these discussions as it is his role as the rebel leader and the rebel leader alone who we will negotiating with. And while it may sadden the woman known as Neferka to have to exile or imprison the man, if it is decided that those options become what the Queen of Egypt must do, then so be it. Anything less would be a violation of the wedding vows that both he and I took before Bast and her Pantheon."

When the serious talk began and Ruby's eyes started to glaze over. Talking business was never her strong suit. She did catch some of what was being said. She comments, "This sounds like a dangerous job George has in front of him." Neferka says, "A challenging one yes, but I think that the true danger has passed."

"Challenging is an understatement. But neither side would dare violate the truce Bast established nor the rules of warfare on negotiations. I will of course require not only a letter authorizing me, but some other token, especially for the rebels, that signifies that I am negotiating in your name and authority. If you wish, your sister can accompany me to listen to the negotiations. I won't promise excitement, but they can be instructive." replies George

Neferka replies, "Yes, she should see what you do, it will help to explain much to her. As for Bast's influence, that will help, but we still have something that both sides coveted. I do not think they will just withdraw their demands out of hand. Britain will want a permanent military presence, which I will not allow, and the rebels will want a permanent voice in the government, which I also will not allow. You have considerable latitude to negotiate on my behalf, but I will not sacrifice my sovereignty."

George pulls out his magical notebook that has somehow miraculously made it through the chaos of the past few weeks. He opens it and begins to write. "Forgive my rudeness for writing at the table, but this is a working meal. Ok no permanent British military presence, no permanent rebel voice in government. Any other restrictions? Obviously the British would like to see assurances about access to the canal. Perhaps a five-year accord where a single military base with naval access near the canal to supplement Egyptian security until you can rebuild appropriate security measures?" She replies, "No physical structures, perhaps ship anchorages at Port Said or Alexandria. I do not want any British near Cairo.

He continues, "As for the rebels, what was their original motivation? And if you will forgive the forwardness of the question, but the marriage to Orabi was arranged and politically motivated. Do you want to see Orabi exiled or otherwise removed? I can direct negotiations to further your personal as well as national desires." She says, "Their original motive was that wanted to remove undue foreign influence. Clearly, having you as an American facilitate this will not please them, but America has no ambitions of colonizing the world. Orabi will also want to have things settled before Sefu arrives on Friday and relieves you. No I do not want to see Ahmed exiled or imprisoned, but I am sincere about following through on that if it becomes necessary. If Orabi pushes you feel free to push back."

He says, "Ok, no physical structures. I think I can leverage the expulsion of the French cabal to get appropriate concessions from the British. The rebels may be more difficult, but if Orabi and his commanders order them to disband, that will help and I have some influence with them. And while your sister and I both know something of Egypt's current situation please answer these next two questions as if we did not, so that I truly understand your position and provide her with context. What is the current governmental organization? What governmental institutions are in place to run day to day operations?

She smiles and says, "It is a monarchy. And the monarch is more than just a King or Queen, the leader is the Pharaoh, a ruling position directly liked and presumed to be supported by the Egyptian Pantheon. The King or Queen can delegate responsibilities and day-to-day operations. The issue with the rebels relates entirely to the Suez Canal. The 101 mile canal was constructed in the time of my father's reign during the decade of 1859 to 1869 at a cost of $100 million. However, the consensus of Orabi and the rebel leaders is that my father King Hakar was sold a "bill of goods" as the countries that helped to finance the canal are also its primary customers and pay a greatly reduced fee as part of the original treaty. So Egypt's debt repayment has exceeded revenue, forcing Egypt to "sell" partial ownership of the canal to their British creditors in return for partial debt reconsideration.

The rebels feel that King Hakar sold Egypt out, this great canal has hurt rather than helped the country, and they feel that it is only through total negation of the prior agreements that the country will ever recover. As British interests were therefore threatened, the British put their military might on the side of King Hakar to preserve the status quo. Barrister Sefu was one of the original backers of the canal. He feels that in the long-run it will still be of great benefit to Egypt, and that we are currently just suffering from short-term cash flow issues that will dissipate in a generation or two.

Ruby waited anxiously for the next course of food. While the Queen's sister looked like she was listening, her eyes were glazed over, a feeling Ruby was familiar with. She did say she would help in any way but she really had no idea what they were talking about so couldn't contribute.

George replies "I believe I will be able to reach an agreement that will be satisfactory to you. Whether it is satisfactory to the rebels or the British is another story." George pauses a moment for a bite or two. "I wonder if this will impact my corporate presence in the greater United Kingdom?" he muses. He takes another bite and shrugs. "C'est la guerre" he adds with a grin.

He adds, "But I fear we are boring the less diplomatically inclined among us." George says turning to Ruby. "How is your food my dearest?" "It's absolutely delightful," Ruby responded with a smile. "While I don't pretend to know what you are talking about, I do understand it is important. Do not stop on my account. I'll just keep enjoying my dinner."

Neferka says, "We are almost completed the business. When do you want to start and with which faction or both simultaneously? We can send messengers to the camps once this meal is completed." "No time like the present. I would like to strike while the iron is hot, meaning the manifestation of Bast. So after dinner I suppose. I would like a central conference room, with two independent rooms attached. That way I can have separate as well as joint talks as needed. Also may I have Lieutenant Colonel Hassan placed at my disposal for the talks? I feel he would be respected by both sides and would function very well as my assistant in this endeavor." replies George. She says, "Yes, although Dhahabiya Hassan is no longer a Lieutenant Colonel, he has received a promotion to the rank of Colonel."

Ruby gritted her teeth. "I know you are eager to help the Queen but isn't it a little late to start negotiations tonight? I mean, by the time we finish this delicious 14 course meal the Queen has had prepared for us... Wouldn't starting fresh be more ideal? By the time each side gets their message and responds... I don't know much about these things but it just seems the morning would be better." George smiles and pats Ruby's hand. "Of course you are right my dear. It will take some time to send messengers and allows the representatives to arrive, the rooms to be made ready. So yes, let preparations begin, but the real work can start in the morning, after this sumptuous meal and a good night's sleep." replies George.

"Of course, that is if it pleases the Queen. I would imagine even a Queen needs some time to rest her mind and relax, even if just a little." Ruby shot George a quick look! letting him know she had her own plans for him this evening. The Queen says, "Yes, there is no need to accomplish it all tonight. Messages will be sent this evening, the negotiations will all take place tomorrow. Ruby, I want my sister to be present but my being there would undermine Mr. Eastman's work, so once initial introductions are made and the people he will be talking with are assured that he speaks on my behalf I will then be available to spend some time with you."

Ruby exclaims, "That will be fabulous! As long as it doesn't interfere, of course. We haven't had much chance to shop, or see sights for that matter. It would be nice to get to see the beauty of Egypt. Don't you agree George?" "Yes, it would be nice to see the beauty of Egypt without someone trying to shoot at us, roaring from one place to another at high speed. One more task my love, then we can see them together. So why don't you take tomorrow to shop, once negotiations are done, though it may take more than one day, we will see the sights" replies George.

"It's a date! With both of you," Ruby grinned and went back to eating. They could talk as much business as they needed now, she was satisfied. The final two courses are severed, both being desserts. One is a lemon-almond pie with cream topping. The other is vanilla bean ice cream with shaved Swiss chocolate on the top. As usual, George and Ruby chose opposite desserts. As they chatted lightly Ruby helped herself to some of George's dessert, and he just smiled.

Once they were finished eating, Ruby squeezed her friend's hand. "I know sleeping tonight may not come easy to you. And of course, you have your sister. But if you need me, just send someone, and I will be there." Ruby stood and stretched then offered George her hand. "Let's go, it's getting late." George stood and pushed in his chair. "Good night Your Highness." Ruby did the same but paused, to see if her friend had any need of her now before she left. Neferka tells George, "The messages will be sent for tomorrow's meetings. What hour do you wish to start?

George replied, "9:00A.M. Thank you Your Majesty, and you have a good night." With that George and Ruby retire to their room. Ruby plopped on the bed, full and tired. George began undressing and when he turned back to look at Ruby, she was already passed out on the bed. He kissed Ruby on the cheek and passed out next to her.

George awakens at 8:00AM. As he exits the bedroom of the suite he sees that a pair of young Egyptian teenage girls are waiting to assist him. One says that she has drawn him a bath while the other presents him with the clothing that he had worn the previous day, which has now been cleaned and pressed. He also notices one addition, as a holster with a revolver has been attached to his belt.

George takes a bit of exercise, a luxury he hasn't had for a bit, and brings a cigar and a bottle of scotch into the bath with him. The women offer to bathe him but he declines, dismitting the pair. Carefully keeping track of the time, he gives himself a good twenty minutes of blissful indulgence before getting out, drying and getting dressed. He looks at the holster, debating whether or not to wear it, but finally decides to wear it, precautions were required and it lent an air of authority. He could always crack an obstinate person over the head with it if needed as well. examining himself in the mirror he takes a deep breath and turns to a still sleeping Ruby, giving her a kiss on the cheek before heading downstairs.

George is met by an Egyptian Army Lieutenant who ushers him into a small private dining room adjacent to the main dining room. Seated inside is Colonel Dhahabiya Hassan in a formal dress uniform that bears the insignia of his new rank. The man is drinking tea from a large mug and gestures for George to have a seat where a place setting has been laid out. George is no sooner seated when an overflowing platter full of breakfast and a mug of coffee are placed before him by the younger Lieutenant, who then departs. The Colonel says, "Eat heartily Mr. Eastman, it may be quite a while until our next meal."

George digs in with gusto, "No need to tell me, you should have seen my last board meeting where we had to take down the silver trust." grins George through bites. "Now, I am thinking that we would want to meet with each group separately first, then together, then break them apart and let them stew. Repeat as needed. I asked to have you here to help because as an officer, the British will respect you, and the rebels will trust you more as an Egyptian. No one will like me, especially when I start shooting down all their demands." laughs George.

Colonel Hassan says, "Zakazik is the home of the General Ahmed Orabi and most of his senior staff, which means instead of stewing in a room they will likely go elsewhere in the city until called back. With that in mind, would you prefer to meet with them first or second? And do we want to wait until both groups to be called together for the Queen's grand entrance and support of you, or should that be done with each group individually?"

"Oh no, Hassan. Orabi and his staff don't get to leave. They will stay in their assigned room until this gets done. They will not leave, and if they try I will threatened them with charges of treason to be executed immediately. I have a goddess and a dragon to back that up. It is imperative that neither side sees that the other is being favored. I do think that the British may be a longer debate, so I will see Orabi's faction first. As for the Queen, ideally, we would have an agreement in place for her entrance. If one side is proving obstinate, then I will ask the Queen to appear to add weight. Otherwise we will proceed in her name but not in her presence." replies George.

The Colonel replies, "Very good. I will see that a suite of rooms in the hotel is made available for both groups to wait in, and will assign guards to ensure that takes place. Now, what arms will you allow for them to carry? Bear in mind, denying even personal weapons in this culture is usually seen as a grave insult, however extenuating circumstances clearly exist given the recent assassination of the king." "We will let them carry the arms of officers and gentlemen, a sword. No firearms. I think that will satisfy honor don't you?" replies George. He replies, "It do. I will see to the arrangements." He departs and the Lieutenant who brought him to the room returns and asks George if he will be needing anything further with his breakfast.

"No, I think I am done here. You may take the dishes." replies George. "I will be walking in the garden, please come retrieve me a short while before 9:00AM for the conferences." The lieutenant nods in agreement as George heads out. It would be a long day of sitting, so he wanted to stretch his legs while he could. He always found gardens calming, and right now he needed to collect his thoughts for the coming events.

The enormity of his responsibilities hadn't really hit George Eastman until now. The future of an entire nation rested upon his shoulders. The stakes had never been higher. However, he at least didn't have a dog in this fight per se, so that would help him remain detached, still passions would run hot on both sides. George continued his stroll through the garden, contemplating his role, planning out his strategies and proposals. His mind would wander though at times, up to his room, where his fiance lay. That would make him smile and remember for whom he did this. He would then refocus his mind and continue on his ruminations.

Finally the Lieutenant returned. George saw him and nodded. He took a last sniff of the closing blossoms of a jasmine flower before straightening, closing his eyes, taking a deep, cleansing breath and opening his eyes, fixed and full of purpose. He nodded to the Lieutenant to proceed and followed him out of the garden to his date with history.

The Lieutenant leads George into the main dining room of the Zakazik Grand Hotel. A pair of armed human Egyptian soldiers guard all entrances and exits into the room except for the main one, which has six armed Nubian elite guards by it. The table is covered with a white silk tablecloth that has gold and platinum threads sewn into it in that depict hieroglyphics that honor the Egyptian pantheon. There are three centerpieces. A white marble statue of Ra has been placed nearer the northern end of the table, a black marble stature of Bast at the southern end. Near the center (but positioned so as to not block George's view of the participants) is a small bust of King King Haker Takeleth VI, Neferka's father. Also on the table are pitchers of ice water and crystal glasses, but there is no other visible food or beverages in the room.

Three occupants are sitting in three of the five chairs on George's side of the table. In chair left of center is Colonel Hassan. In both chairs down nearer the end of the table are male scribes in elaborate robes who George recognize as having been present during his two prior meetings with King Haker. Across on the other side of the table are five chairs. Colonel Hassan says, "Each contingent will consist of the three top Generals and two clerks to record the meeting. Like ours, one clerk will record the discussions in English, the other in Arabic. Each General has also been allowed to bring a personal aide, but during the negotiations they will be required to stand at the doorway and will be watched by the Nubians."

George surveys the room. "Excellent. Have them come in and sit. I will make my opening remarks and introductions, then we will have each party head to their individual rooms." "A thought. What language should be the negotiating language do you think Hassan?" He replies, "An interesting question, and the answer is somewhat dependent upon what role you wish for Princess Amisi to play in the negotiations. She is fluent in the languages of Arabic, Italian and Ancient Egyptian, while her grasp of the English language far less so. If the discussions are in English she will probably be able to follow some of the conversation, and if we move the Arabic scribe's chair closer to her she could follow along, but she would not really be able to contribute. For the discussions with the British that would probably be wise.

However, she has known General Orabi for years as a family friend, as he has her as well. If called upon she might be able to assist in the discussions if they are in Arabic. Queen Neferka has also thrown a major wild card into this mix for the Orabi discussion, by formally naming Amisi as her heir. A formal declaration was actually not needed, as Amisi was next in the line of succession up until the time that Queen Neferka has a child. General Orabi would had assumed that a child of his through Neferka would automatically become the next monarch, but that is no longer the case, as Amisi will now remain the heir until Neferka declares otherwise. He also does not know of this declaration yet, although the Queen has made it official through a proclamation that will become public knowledge later today."

"Well, then let's make it fair and conduct everything in Esperanto which Doctor Zamenhof has developed." says George to Hassan. George holds for a moment then laughs at the look of confusion on Hassan's face. "I am sorry my friend, a little linguistic jest. I will conduct each separate meeting in the native tongue of the faction. I will alternate for the main conference, even if it means speaking twice. I think it will be important to again show no partiality to either side." replies George. "Amisi will, as you suggest, do well to stay near the scribe when we speak with the British side alone, but she will have no problem in the main room."

He says "Very good. I will go and retrieve the Princess and send word to the Egyptian group join us in a short while. ". Hearing that the meeting will begin soon, the two scribes each retrieve large leather bound books with blank pages and arrange several ink pens on the table before them. Before exiting the room Colonel Hassan asks, "Is there anything else that will be needed here for the discussions?" "Yes, patience, understanding, compromise and altruism. Unfortunately, these aren't things you and I can bring, our guests need to, whether they do or not will color these discussion." says George grimly. "Let us begin."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 122, "Like a child on the first day of school", September 13, 1882, 11:30 AM.

Like Charles, Callum Stuart is attired in the full traditional Scottish regalia. The only difference is the Charles is wearing the modern version of the Royal Stuart tartan, with its vibrant red and bright gold band whereas Callum has on the more ancient version that matches the oldest of the outer room's tapestry, with the more muted red almost an orange color and the other colors less vibrant. This is due to the ancients having less access to exotic dyes for their wool. It suddenly struck her that the red gown she was wearing matched the brighter red of Charles' tartan, and she cast her eyes down for a moment before the smile returned to her face.

"I hope you slept well," she said. "I need to come here more often if I get to see all these well dressed Scots. When do the pipes start?" Charles laughs and says with an exaggerated accent, "Ye want pipes before ye 'ave breakfast? Ye're a hearty lass!" "Ahh, the soothing sounds of the Highlands," she sighed dramatically. "Their dulcet tone would lull any true patriot to sleep at night. We are delirious with hunger, Cal. We'd better eat before we start a parade through the house."

Breakfast is served and the Scottish theme continues. In addition to piping hot tea, they are served traditional oatmeal porridge, buttered scones, a rasher of bacon, banger sausages, hash browns, toast with jam and milk. Meal conversation consists of Callum telling Charles about their trip into Paris the previous evening, with him talking about where they went and what they saw but omitting any details of their personal conversations.

Abby was happy to let Cal do the talking and just enjoy the breakfast. She sipped the tea, slightly sweetened with lovely, floral honey, and finished the last bites of the buttered scone. For some, luxury was all about fine things. To her, it was just this. A hearty meal taken in the company of friends. Which is not to say she didn't appreciate the personal bathroom. "I told Cal I expected to be treated like a Queen, and I felt like one. Being asked to dance by more than one gentleman didn't hurt either."

Charles says, "Well then, I am glad that you are enjoying your stay here. If you will excuse me, I need to check in with my Agriculture Manager prior to the afternoon meeting." Following the meal Callum says, "Would you care for the tour of is there anything else you would prefer to do first?" "The tour sounds perfect," she said with a smile. "A bit of a walk with you is just what I need after breakfast." "Well, this is obviously the main dining room. As this building was known to the public as Mary's 'countryside retreat' it was not necessary to have a room larger than this one." Pointing towards the rear swinging doors he says, "And those are the entrances to the kitchen, the pantry, and the first floor water closet."

They head out into the main lobby with Callum narrating, "This room you already known. In Mary's day the large castle painting and the two large tapestries were all the adornment. It was Charles Stuart who added most of the remainder, including the statue of Mary." Pointing towards the other side wall he says, "The door to the left of the Royals tapestry is the music room, basically Mary Stuart's room for entertaining. The door to the right is the library, which was her husband Francis II's room for entertaining. We'll save those rooms for last, come on upstairs."

Abigail felt the pull of the library, but she knew she would have her chance to spend plenty of time in there later while the others were busy. She slipped her arm in Cal's and went up the stairs with him. "Was there a lot of entertaining her during Mary Stuart's time here?" He smiles and says "Yes and no. She held the occasional event for visiting Royalty, but in reality it was her magical research colleagues who she had here under the guise of entertainment." They reach the second floor and he first gestures to the room she stayed in saying. "That guest room which you stayed in, and the one across from it are identical in size and each cover 375 square feet, excluding the bath facilities."

Gesturing further down the all to the east he says, "The next pair are very similar in style and decor, but slightly smaller at 300 square feet, as the bathrooms for the end rooms take some of their square footage. The three doors at the east end are to a storage closet for the maids and for the two larger rooms at 500 square feet and 600 square feet, the larger now being Charles's and the other being Meagan's." Turning left to the west he points to the next pair of doors saying, "These are smaller rooms, each only around 200 square feet in size and with water closets rather than a full bath. Each also has a door into the Royal rooms at the end of the hall. Mary Stuart's Lady-in-waiting used one of these while King Francis II's Page of Honor used the other."

He then opens the door at the end of the hall, which is vast at 25 by 35 feet in size. The quantity of riches is brightening, with all furnished having gold guild-work and the richest of materials. "This was Mary Stuart's room, the largest in the building at 875 feet. Both Meagan's grandfather and mother each used this room when they were the Landholder. My Aunt Baronese chose not to, leaving it available for visiting guests. I have done the same." He then opens the final door to an equally opulent but slightly smaller room that is 25 feet square. "This was King Francis II's room for the few times when he visited his wife here. I am the current occupant, although in truth, I am never really comfortable living here given the museum nature of the room. That is why I welcomed the extended visit from my Torchwood colleagues, as that gave me an excuse to stay at the farmhouse instead."

She asks, "And I suppose you can't just choose to stay in one of the simpler rooms. There is an image to maintain. All of us, whether grand or humble have restrictions on our choices." He replies, "Not taking Mary's room is as far down as I can go." She says, "Much as I've studied, I can't really imagine this kind of life. I'm glad you had the opportunity to stay at the farmhouse for a while, at least." "That and I had friends there with my team. I will miss that life."

They head back downstairs and towards the remaining two rooms. He says, "These mirror the size of the large rooms above them and with similar purpose. The largest is the music room and was basically Queen Mary's entertainment room." He opens the door, with the most prominent feature of the room being a harpsichord with elaborate designs on it in gold. Other musical instruments are mounted on specially designed holders on the wall. All of the furnishings in the room are elaborate 16th century pieces, with two sofas and fifteen chairs with matching end tables.

He says, "Mary Stuart had the harpsichord made in Italy. She was ahead of her time, as the instruments were just starting to become popular then. Bonnie Prince Charlie had it replaced with a grand piano, but when Aunt Baronese became landholder she brought Mary's original harpsichord out of storage and back here where it belonged. We still have Charles's grand piano, it is in a magic room beneath one of the mock farmhouses where we use it for bardic magic." "I had been wondering about bardic magic," Abby said a bit absently, her spectacles appearing from her pocket and then perched on her nose. She moved close to the harpsichord, then some of the other instruments to examine them more closely.

"Since clerical magic isn't the thing here, Bardic magic would be the only healing magic. Which means art really does heal," she said with a smile. "I wish I'd been a better music student. I can get by on a piano, and I can sing well enough, but I have no natural talent." Callum laughs, "By 'here' I assume that you mean France, not the Land of Queen Mary. Mary Stuart's dream is about ALL MAGIC, which includes clerical magic. The major forms of clerical magic that are practiced here are more druidic than priestly, as those are generally tolerated in the farming regions of France, but some priestly magic quietly occurs here too."

Abby replies, "Yes, I meant in France. I doubt there is any place in the Western world where the forbidden magic isn't being practiced quietly. I suspect my own skills would be quite a bit further along if I had been born in France rather than America. New Orleans is a lot more forgiving, but you still have to be careful. After these last few days, I've been wondering if I need to focus on those talents for a while." He says, "Well, the common theme in our more recent conversations is that both your future and mine appear to have a number of possibilities."

He takes her next door to the castle's final room, the library. As with King Francis II's bedroom, this room is also twenty-five-feet square. Like the music room, it is lit with magical light but also has large elaborate windows on both exterior walls. The room itself clearly has a more masculine look to it, with dark leather on all of the chairs and the desks, while ornate it is designed more for function. Bookcases line two of the four walls, the interior wall with the door and the exterior wall opposite it.

The wall to the left has a fireplace as its main feature (the chimney shared with the one opposite it in the music room). Along the walls to both the left and right of the fireplace are desks with chairs. Above the fireplace is a set of mounted animal heads of what looks like a mythical chimera, with her assuming that both the lion and goat heads are real and the dragon head a magical or artistic creation. The opposite wall has a gun cabinet and a liquor cabinet as its two main features. Both appear to be fully stocked.

"No offense to Queen Mary, but this is more like it." She took a deep breath in through the nose and found the familiar scents of books and wood smoke. "I'm not sure what that says about me." She was immediately drawn to the walls with the bookcases, where her eyes moved quickly over the titles, making a quick survey of what was kept here in the more public part of the house.

The largest of the bookcase walls has very old volumes, many hand written. Others date from the earliest European printing presses in the sixteenth century. Almost every popular book she ever heard of that was written in the 16th and 17th centuries appears to be represented there. The opposite wall has books from the 18th and 19th centuries categorized by topic, with a shelf of popular fiction, another of French, Italian and Spanish poetry, another with histories whose titles vary from English to French to German, there is half-a-shelf of modern books about engineering and a half-shelf about Chinese history.

Abby says, "You could actually relax in this room, although I could do without the animal heads," she chuckled. "Cal, it's a gorgeous place, but I can see why you prefer the farmhouse. It's so formal." Callum says, "Yes, the chimera head made me uncomfortable for the first few weeks until I became adjusted to it. Now I just ignore it. Megan's grandfather had it put there, he claimed to have slain it himself, but the truth is that the body had been found frozen in the Antarctic ice by a French whaling ship."

Abby's eyebrows raise in surprise upon hearing that. "I had no idea of it being real at all," she said, then went over to have a closer look at it. "Of course, I was just spending time with a dragon. It shouldn't surprise me." He says, "Why yes, it is real, but they are extremely rare. Each continent and major ocean has always had an 'earth spirit' guardian, which take the form of what are generally believed to be mythical creatures. Each has a life-span of several centuries. The heads on that one are actually not very big, so it probably died rather young." A lump formed in her throat. She knew nothing of these creatures, despite all her studies. But that such a thing should have died young, and she could only imagine violently, wrenched at her for some reason.

"All the books relating your work are elsewhere, I assume." He says, "Yes, the Stuart collection is in the magical library. Some of those here are from my personal collection, the shelf about China for instance. I wasn't just kidding about wanting to one day walk the great wall." She asks, "Where have you learned all this, Cal? I thought I'd been educated; I know enough to realize how little I really know, but there are layers to the world that I think have been completely hidden from me. How did you find them?"

He laughs "We idle rich have a lot of free time on our hands to learn abut things. Most of my family has always been obsessed about Scottish, English or French history, so I naturally gravitated to the opposite end of the world, which in my case is China. I even had a Chinese language tutor for a short while but just could not grasp the language, so if I ever go there I will have to use magic to communicate." She says, "Not about China darling, although that is fascinating. The guardian spirits. I have met a goddess. I have met a Priestess so devoted that she considers years of her life a small price for the chance to be one with her goddess. I've seen a woman who is a dragon. You tell me there are people living on other planets who actually come here. I feel like a child on the first day of school."

He smiles and says, "We all are dear. I felt the same way when I first spoke to Pepe and Maracita, they have centuries of exposure to this while it was all relatively new to me. Mary Stuart was on the right track, the entire world should be exposed to these riches of knowledge. But while closed-minded politicians rule that will not happen. So we need to just carve out our own part of the world to explore. I get the impression that your friend Mina Parker feels the same way."

"Yes, yes I believe so," Abby said, and sank down into one of the comfortable leather chairs. "I've known since I started working with her that there was far more to magic than I'd know before, but the depth of knowledge about the world, the universe that I lack seems to be staggering." She was quiet for a moment, obviously chewing over her thoughts. "I was wondering how do I learn more, and then I realized I'm already on the path. The first step is always finding out there is more to learn. Have we time for a walk outside? I feel the need for a bit of sunshine."

He says, "Why certainly, you will have ample time to explore this room later today when I am in my cousin's meeting." He holds out his hand to help her up, and does not release the hand afterwards. They exit the room and head to the main entrance. The space between the castle and outer wall has two water wells, one of which appears to be decorative the other functional. Gardens fill most of the courtyard. Those immediately before the castle feature flowers, with the autumn flowers now in full bloom. The other gardens appear to have vegetables growing in them.

He walks her behind the castle itself where three other stone buildings are visible. Two are within the same outer walls, which stretch far back behind the castle. One is two stories high and about half the size of the castle. The other is smaller, single story and around thirty-foot square with a pair of large outer doors that are currently open. He gestures to the two-story building which is closer to the castle and says, "That is the servants quarters. We won't be going any closer as we like for our staff to have their privacy." She says, "The staff probably has more privacy than you do," she observed. "I certainly hope that young lady who helped me last night wasn't obliged to be up early this morning."

They then move towards the other building. Inside are a pair of carriages, with space for a third. As neither carriage is the one they took yesterday she assumes it is already on its way back into Paris to retrieve Pepe and Maracita. They enter the building which appears to be a fully-functional carriage house, an assortment of spare wheels and carriage axles, a small blacksmith shop, and various tack and harness. It took a few moments for her eyes to adjust from the bright sunlight to the shadows inside the carriage house. "Alone at last," she said lightly.

"Cast a spell," he replies. "What?" "A spell, go ahead," Callum said with a quick nod. "Alright," she paused a moment, then flicked her finger, releasing several small globes of light that should hover around the room casting a warm glow. Abby is temporarily blinded by the brightness as twenty large globes ranging is size from 18-inches to five-feet in diameter appear, each radiating out almost blinding light. The ambient temperature in the carriage house also immediately rises at least twenty degrees, the heat coming from the miniature suns that are now nearly filling the building. "Dear heaven!" she exclaimed, and quickly waved her hand again, canceling the spell.

She exclaims, "How do any of you do anything small around here?" He says, "It becomes less intense as you get further away from the well. You are currently standing directly on top of it, the well is right beneath this floor. This is where the power is at its maximum level, approximately twenty-times normal intensity. The nearby barn is at around ten-times normal intensity, and the castle varies from three-to-seven times normal intensity depending upon where you are in the building." She says, "You could have warned me, I wouldn't have done something that could have burned us to a crisp," she breathed, adrenaline still pumping. "That level of power is... well, unbelievable."

He says, "I had a dispel magic ready, and would have stopped you from finishing the incantation if you attempted anything that would have been lethal. And yes, it is unbelievable, which is why I needed for you to experience it for yourself." She nodded. "Of course you wouldn't but tell that to my pounding heart. You know the history, but how much do you know of how this well really works?" He says, "We actually don't even know enough of the history, that is why we think that an archaeology dig might be in order, and could lead us to further clues as to how it works."

"So nothing more than you've already told me about the strength of it, and what it was originally used for then." Abby stopped and forced herself to take a few breaths until her heart calmed. "Cal, you may be used to international intrigue and days of stress without food and sleep. I'm not, so my nerves are still just a bit raw around the edges. No more big surprises like that, alright?" He smiles and points to the nearby stone and wood barn situated on the other side of the outer wall and says, "No more big surprises today, okay, we'll save the barn for tomorrow."

She replies, "It wouldn't be a big, scary surprise now, would it? I've been forewarned. Let's go see what's so special about your barn." She shook her head. Men always seemed to take what you said an move it one step further. As they move towards the rear gate in the wall, the gate comprised of wooden timbers interlaced with thick metal he asks "So Abigail, what is the intended purpose of a wall surrounding a 16th century castle?"

"Should I raise my hand before I answer, teacher?" she said with no lack of sarcasm. "Mainly defense, of course. Although like here they also create an outdoor space that is part of the house, like another room." He smiles and says, "Defense indeed. Which is why Mary Stuart had this barn built outside the wall. Normally the wall protects those inside from people beyond the wall. Here is does the exact opposite. She knew that there would be occasional guests at the castle, so with the rear gate locked it was unlikely that any visitors would find their way over to a rear outside barn."

They approach the forty-by-fifty foot structure. It looks like a standard barn, stone for fifteen feet, then a twelve-foot high second story comprised of wood with a pitched roof providing a third story loft. He opens one of the large barn doors. The interior looks like a standard horse barn, with the two upper lofts filled with freshly cut hay and a dozen stalls for horses below. Six of the stalls are open, with no horses inside, as they would be off pulling the carriage. Another six stalls have horses inside. There are two stall-sized rooms with their wooden doors closed. One has a sign in both English and French that reads "Tack Room", the other has a similar bi-lingual sign reading "Grain Room".

She says, "Well, it's a barn. I'd guess there's a door to some of the more sensitive areas of the manor?" He replies, "Sort of, I wouldn't exactly call it a door. Although I am not sure if I should show you until after my meeting later today. Doing so now would only give Meagan more ammunition to use against me."

She says, "Then don't. I can wait, and I can survive if it has to stay secret for a while long. I do understand that not all the secrets are only yours to share with me. Just like I know you understand there are things I can't tell you about the AGELESS group. Although Cal, the impression I've gotten is that your group isn't going to be convinced by Meghan's arguments. They respect her, but I think they like the leadership right where it is." He says, "Okay, enough of this for now. Let's go for a short walk. I'll show you something impressive that has absolutely nothing to do with magic."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 123, "Round One: The Army of the Free Republic of Egypt", September 13, 1882, 8:45 AM.

Princess Amisi soon joins George in the room for the negotiations. She has three servant girls waiting on her, but Colonel Hassan tells the Princess that the retainers will not be permitted to stay. With a sigh she dismisses them, but only after one pours her a glass of ice water and another fixes the Princess's hair to look perfect. Observing protocol, the men wait for her to be seated before re-seating themselves. She turns to George and in Aribic says, "My sister puts great trust in you."

George bows his head and replies his Arabic "Yes she has, I intend to be worthy of it. Too many around her have not been trustworthy of late. Now as to the discussions, I did offer for you to join, though I know you might prefer to be out shopping with Miss West. It is important that you understand how the country and diplomacy works should the worst happen. When we are in discussion if you have a question for me or even the participants, by all means ask it, however I would ask you not to contradict me. You are the princess, but my orders are from the Queen and I must show these men I am in charge with absolute authority to negotiate here, and everything must go through me. I will not let your sister down, I will gain her what she needs, but I cannot have you undercutting me. Is that understood?" says George.

She says in Arabic, "I understand sir. You have already proven yourself worthy of my respect. We were all inside the royal palace when Abdullah was inciting the thousands outside. I feared that we would all die there. The Grand Vizer and the French wizards who transported us to Gizah, they needed time to rest and study their spells before they could do so. Sir, you gave us that time. I am informed that it was you who sought out Colonel Hassan and worked with him to bring in the thousands of troops needed to disperse the crowds. And it was you who personally led the Egyptian troops into the palace to fight the rebels who had breached our defenses. That you would do this for us, after my father had threatened your lives and imprisoned you, well good Sir, words alone cannot express my gratitude."

"I thank you for your kind words. Those were indeed my acts, though I never was alone. My friends and I seem to end up in these situations. We saw a wrong and sought to right it. Your father was under the influence of the French who obviously had a very elaborate plot. Your kind words have me caught between gratuitous humility and arrogant boastfulness. So I will merely say, it was my pleasure and honor and my thanks to you. Hopefully today we can secure an Egypt that will justify and honor all of that effort and sacrifice." replies George again in Arabic.

Colonel Hassan says, "I hate to have to interrupt this mutual admiration society, especially since I am also a member of it, but we really do need to prepare before General Orabi arrives. Princess, as Mr. Eastman has emphasized, you must not interrupt. However, due to your prior associations with General Orabi you could be of a great deal of help to us both. You know the man, whereas we do not. If we could devise a method of non-verbal communication in advance, for you to signal to us if you believe he is being truthful or not, it would be very helpful."

George chuckles "Indeed Hassan you were quite involved with those exploits, for which you wear new brass. But you are right. Oh to have Ruby here for spells of truth, but that would be like throwing kerosene on an open flame. Perhaps it you adjust your right earring if you feel he is being dishonest?" suggests George. She says, "That I can do. And I will not interrupt, or speak unless called upon. But what should I do if I feel that we need to stop the discussions in order for me to tell you something more than just dishonesty on his part? I would not do so unless I felt it was absolutely necessary." George says, "Hrmmm, something unobtrusive so it is not suspicious. The left earring? no we don't want you fiddling with your ears all day. Ah, the bracelets, push your bracelets up your arm from your wrist high upon your forearm and I will call a recess and we can step outside."

The Colonel says, "That does it, they're here." Everyone seated at the table stands as figures approach the outer door and the two closest ogre guards open the. George recognizes the first man entering as General Mahmoud Fehmy, who is Orabi's second in command. He does not recognize the General who follows. The third man to enter is Ahmed Orabi. A trio of low ranking officers follow, then the two scribes, after which the Ogres close the door. The three aides move forward to pull out the chairs for the generals. Everyone continues to stand.

George begins in Arabic, "Welcome representatives of The Army of the Free Republic of Egypt. May I introduce the hosts of this conference. Her royal highness Princess Amisi, Colonel Hassan of Her Majesty's 3rd Royal Rifle Company of Alexandria. I am the lead negotiator for Her Highness, Queen Neferka, Pharaoh of the Lands of Egypt and the Nile, George Eastman, interim Chief of Staff for Her Majesty." begins George looking expectantly at the generals.

Orabi says, "It is a pleasure to meet you again Mr. Eastman." He turns to the right "Colonel, it is good to see you again as well. Congratulations on your promotion." Turning again, "And a pleasure to see you again Princess Amisi." Standing straight he says, "For the record, I am General Ahmed Orabi, the Commanding General of the Army of the Free Republic of Egypt. To my right is General Mahumod Fehmy, the Deputy Commanding General, and General Massi Sawalha, Commander of the Infantry. We may proceed any time that you are ready."

"Please, sit gentlemen" says George, who turns to the princess and waits for her to sit first, as does everyone else in the room. As everyone gets settled in George opens his own notebook. "These discussions are being recorded in both English and Arabic by the scribes, but I think we can continue solely in Arabic for the moment. Now, gentlemen, please enlighten me as to your motivation for founding the AFRE and what it is you would seek now, and what it would take to get you to disband."

Ahmed Orabi says, "The AFRE was entirely my doing. I accept full responsibility for it and if the monarch wishes to have any members brought forward on charges of treason I ask that I be the one punished and not any who I convinced to join me. My motivation was simple, undue Foreign influence. Over the last fifteen years my King had allowed British and French interests to dictate Egyptian policy, to the financial ruin of this nation. The British had pushed the issue of the building of canal linking the sea to the Indian Ocean, at Egypt's expense both figuratively and literally. Our King signed papers for a pair of agreements, one having Egypt fund the construction of the canal, the other requiring us to offer absurdly low fees for ships from those same countries to use the canal.

That put us between a rock-and-a-hard-place. The original loan was based upon the fee revenues to repay it, but the lowered fees would not allow it. Britain and France refused to renegotiate the loans, and Britain's banks took matters one step further, stealing Egypt's ownership interests in the canal when we could not fully meet the repayment terms. Mr. Eastman, I tried for over a decade to convince the King that this was wrong, that our country was suffering, but he would not hear of it. He trusted his foreign friends, and they betrayed the trust. That was my motivation, to bring about a change-in-government so that the foreign interests would have no choice in needing to renegotiate.

And for this year up until last week my strategy was working. But General Garnet Wolseley's quick change in tactics, targeting this city that we now meet it, changed things. We were forced to shift quickly from an offensive to a defensive mode, which gave the French opportunists that had wormed their way into our midst an opportunity to strike. Their offer to be neutral observers and provide medical assistance should not have been accepted by me. I fell victim to the very thing that I had accused the King of. So as I said before, I take full responsibility. I have failed my followers and am willing to accept punishment for my failure. I will turn myself over to the Royal Egyptian family, and my army will continue their cause without me. The original reasons for this conflict still exist, so disbanding is not an option at this time."

George replies, "Allow me to disagree General Orabi. Disbanding is not only an option it is a requirement and you must order that. I do however understand your concern over the canal. I will disagree that the original reasons are still extant, the same King is not on the throne who was subject to the foreign influences. There is a different ruler with a different agenda. So things are not the same. Again though what would it take for disbanding? Restoration of full fees for all countries and vessels?"

Orabi says, "That would not help Egypt, as the banks now claim that they own the majority of the canal rather than us, so higher fees would only line the pockets of the thieves. The Army of the Free Republic of Egypt wishes a retroactive renegotiation of the agreements. We are willing to accept that our King approved the construction that occurred between 1860 and 1869, and that we need to repay the original principal of the loans as well as a reasonable interest rate.

But we do not accept the claimed seizure of the canal's ownership, started in 1875, for non-repayment of agreements which were designed by the foreign banks to bring about that very failure. Thieves should not be rewarded. You are correct in that with the deaths of King Hakar and his Grand Vizer, the two individuals most responsible for those agreements, should change things. Those individuals are no longer present. But will the international banking community even care?" George answers "That was not my question general. But what you are saying is that the AFRE will not disband until the prior agreements are invalidated or renegotiated?"

Orabi states, "Mr. Eastman. Considerable thought went into the naming of our forces, the Army of the Free Republic of Egypt. Our objective was just that, to create a Free Republic of Egypt. We may be willing to give up becoming a Republic, and accept some form of a Constitutional Monarchy, with all foreign agreements decided by a Prime Minister or Parliament." George notes the Princess tapping her earring. Orabi continues, "But first and foremost Egypt must be free, free of undue foreign influence. So the answer to your original question is yes, some modification needs to be made to the current financial documents regarding the canal."

George says, "At this point I make no promises of course, but the Queen seeks the same thing. Of course, the purpose of this conference is merely to negotiate the cessation of hostilities, but I personally and as representative for the Queen are working to limit as much foreign influence as we can. It is a herculean task though hopefully not a sisyphian one. It will not be possible if there is an armed faction hostile to the government. There must be a united front for other countries to deal with. If there is a separate armed force, foreign governments will continue to exploit the rift for their own purposes." Orabi says, "But if we disband now, then the British win. They will never give up the canal or their foothold in Egypt without an armed force to oppose them. If they leave Egypt, and not just temporarily, then we might consider it."

"Generals, are you not Queen's men? Do you not acknowledge that the gods themselves have selected this house to rule Egypt? That Bast herself appeared on the battlefield and at her coronation. That Queen Neferka rules by divine providence and right? Are you not Egyptians? If so, then you must trust in your Queen. I have never asked you to disband today. But I have stated that it is imperative that you do disband. And I wanted to know what it would take for you to disband willingly. Have no doubts though, that my friends and I can and will become the most resolute of forces to support the Queen and will enact her wishes, by force if need be. and you have all seen what we can accomplish." George leave the deeds of AGELESS hanging, unspoken in the air for a moment, along with the subtle threat.

"However, this is also a negotiation. I wanted to know your stance, I wanted to know what you wished to see, I wanted to know what you would accept, what it would take to have you voluntarily disband. This is half the negotiations after all. I will not leave Egypt defenseless, nor will I suffer Egypt to be in the yoke or thrall of any country. I too have been charged with glorious purpose by Bast, and I shall not fail in it. I respect your position on disbanding. My goal is to leave here today leaving you bereft of purpose for maintaining the AFRE."

Orabi says, "We do not question the Queen's right to rule. As you are well aware, I was present at her wedding and heard the vows that she made to the Egyptian people. She is now in a position to follow through on them. This is a good start Mr. Eastman." "Then why do you not trust her to fulfill those vows and renounce the need for the AFRE?" replies George. He replies, "I do trust in her sincere desire to do so. But she lacks the experience that might be needed to bring those desires to fruition. And without the military might to back up those desires, it might never happen.

The Royal Egyptian Army are not what they previously were back when I commanded it, and it would take considerable time to re-incorporate my AFRE forces. That may not even be possible, once people take up arms against their brothers trust is eroded, and in a military engagement there must be trust. My army is strong, we have held our own against the most powerful military on this world. The Queen may need to keep my army intact."

George says, "You brought the full weight of your forces against a single deployment. I would not doubt the British as possessing the strongest Navy, but Army? That is another matter. But you are correct, the Royal Army has been decimated. And I think it would be a terrible idea to try to reintegrate them. The fact is they are lucky the Queen is not asking to have them all executed for treason. She is merciful and is not, but she is well within her rights to do so. You must remember, the Queen is not alone. She has experience on her side, in those she has placed her trust in, not alone me, but Sabah and others. Experience matters yes, but desire, resolve and conviction do as well, and this the Queen has in spades. However, at this point in the negotiations, I think I can safely say that should Egypt be free of undue foreign influence and that a fair contract for the canal is in place, you would disband the AFRE, yes?"

Ahmed Orabi sits back and says, "What is the expression of the late Gustave Flaubert, ah yes, 'The devil is in the details'. An interesting man Flaubert, he lived here in Egypt for a while. But I digress. Yes, Mr. Eastman, we have the potential for an agreement, although I truly believe that the Queen will need my forces intact and at her disposal rather than disbanded." George smiles " 'If thy brother wrongs thee, remember not so much his wrong-doing, but more than ever that he is thy brother.' Epictetus. But yes General, the devil is in the details, however, in these negotiations I need to establish potentials as well as actuality. I will take my leave and speak with your counterparts. Please do remember I am here to serve Egypt."

Everybody stands and handshakes are exchanged between the men. Orabi alone kisses the Princess's hand. The Egyptian Generals along with their aides and scribes then depart. Four of the ogres at the doorway accompany them back to the upstairs suite that has been reserved for them. Colonel Hassan orders the door closed and all scribes, guards and servants to the outside of the door to give the three complete privacy. Once the doors are shut he says, "Thoughts Mr. Eastman?"

"I think the Egyptian generals will be easy. If Orabi is satisfied they will fall in line. The issue of course is extracting the necessary concessions on the other side. I knew the British would be the tougher sell, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve and can play hard ball with the best of them. My thanks to you princess for your signal on Orabi and the republic. Without even calling him out directly, by the end there was no discussion of that and solid support for the Queen as full monarch." She replies, "He started lying when he brought up a Constitutional Monarchy with a Prime Minister and Parliament. That was an original goal of his group and he probably said it now for the benefit of the other Generals. But once his wife became the monarch he would not have wanted any power sharing arrangement."

George asks, "Hassan, the Queen did not give me any specific direction on reintegration of the forces. I can use that either way, but, as an officer, as a loyal royalist, what do you think. Should AFRE troops, especially officers, be allowed back into the army, or even a full merge?" Colonel Hassan says, "Absolutely not. However, we might want to consider using them as a separate police force to monitor and regulate use of the canal. Their authority could be limited to only Port Sa'id and the canal itself."

George says, "Now that is an interesting idea. I may keep that in my back pocket. Maybe we could use them as marines on navy vessels where they are in smaller groups and under Royal Navy command. But yes, a canal police force. Maybe even have them patrol the Sinai peninsula as a buffer against the Ottomans. Border guards. Yes, some definite possibilities there. If we need them of course. Where does the army stand now Hassan and where does it need to be?"

The Colonel replies, "The Army, in total around 8,000 troops, over half of which we personally commanded two days ago in Cairo. But it had been twice that large before Orabi's revolt. We had made the mistake of using regional battalions of approximately one-thousand troops, so when the regional Generals defected they brought their forces with them. The battalions that have remained loyal were those from Gizah, Heliopolis, Haggi Kandil, Wasta, both Memphis battalions and two of the three Cairo battalions."

George says, "Alright, not as bad as I had feared. A blow by all means but one that could be remedied over a few years. I have a few other....ideas for the army as well I will discuss with you later. But if we allowed one or two generals to keep a thousand men each for Canal and port duty, it would disband the majority and take pressure off the army for security. Again though back pocket. Any other concerns before we bring in the British?"

Colonel Hassan says, "Primarily Alexandria. Since taking over that city last summer after driving the rebel army away they have been establishing a major base there, and their construction materials of stone, concrete and solid timbers demonstrate that they clearly intend to keep that base for the long-term. Plus they've built up a lot of good will by rebuilding the city, despite the fact that it was their own naval bombardment which destroyed it. They have also suspended their traditional ruling there about fraternization and marriages with the locals. Getting them to leave there will not be an easy sell." Princess Asimi says, "My sister will never stand for them keeping our key Mediterranean port."

George sighs "I know, the rebels were easy. The British will be hard. They are used to getting their way. I do also know the Queens wishes, and while I can work towards her desires, executing them can be another matter. The real problem of course is the matter of leverage. Legally of course the Queen has the authority to order that, forcing that to happen is another matter. I have some ideas for leverage, but how effective they will be is another matter. Hassan, how large is the British force here now by your estimate?" He replies, "If you give me five minutes I can give you far better than an estimate. As they were allies with the King, he received a detailed accounting of the British allied forces in Egypt following the Battle of Kassassin a few days ago." George replies, "Yes, I think I would like that information, reliably, before we start with the British."

Colonel Hassan leaves the room. Once alone, the Princess turns to George and says, "Sir, thank you again for doing this. If it is not too bold I would like to ask you something personal, as it could direcly impact us both. My sister said that you would be well compensated for your services, but no specific price was mentioned and I am led to believe that your business enterprises provide you with sufficient monetary reimbursement to meet your needs. The other traditional payment for high meritorious service is marriage into the Royal family. Would you be seeking that as your compensation?"

DM's Note: Fenris's comment in the Out-of-Game thread to the DM regarding that last statement was "Ok, now you are just trying to cause trouble That or get Amisi killed by Ruby."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 124, "Seahorses", September 13, 1882, 12:00 PM.

Callum and Abby head away from the barn and castle towards a forested hill around a mile away. Most of the land around has been cultivated for growing grains, but this small elevated area would have been too difficult to level for farming. The trees appear to be old-growth forest, probably the oldest trees in a fifty-mile radius. The area is fairly overgrown but there is a stone path that Callum knows which he leads her up.

They go around 400 feet to the top of the hill and look down the other side into a small crystal blue pond surrounded by old growth trees. The pond is approximately ninety feet in diameter. The area is quiet and peaceful, the sun is now directly overhead and shining straight down. With the ring of high trees she estimates that the pond probably gets only a hour-or-so of direct sunlight each day. A carved stone bench sits alongside the pond and Callum gestures silently to her to sit there beside him.

She accepted the invitation just as quietly, sitting down and leaning her head against his shoulder. There was peace here, and that was something she needed. They sit in silence for ten minutes, the only sounds being birds in the trees. She looks towards the water's edge eight feet in front of the bench . She then notices a disturbance in the water towards the center of the pond. The disturbance then starts to move closer, when dorsal fins then break the surface of the water. From thirty feet out she sees two pair of ice blue fins, each with the second around six feet behind the first on each.

At ten feet out the forward fins begin to rise out of the water, revealing ice blue heads of horses, the front fins where the mane would be. They continue to swim towards the shore. The front legs of the horses rise out of the water and land on the shore, with large webbed flippers instead of hooves that flop onto the ground, landing just a few feet before the pair on the bench. Their bodies are both ice blue in color, almost matching the dress that Abby wore the night before. Looking close, she sees that their hides are comprised of thin scales rather than leather. She can also see the rear half of the animals in the water near the shore resemble that of large fishes.

"What are they?" she whispered. "They're gorgeous. I wouldn't have thought this pond was deep enough for any creatures like this." Callum replies, "They are called hippocampi. This isn't where they are from, it is just a temporary home for them." Looking towards the animals he says, "Bey, Nalu, this is Abby." Both nod their heads in her direction.

Callum continues, "Captain Nemo rescued them. They were living on a Pacific island in a lake beside a volcano. The volcano was due to erupt and they would have been killed. Under normal circumstances he would have saved them by just putting them in the ocean, but these two had evolved in freshwater rather than seawater, so he had to find a safe freshwater location for them. I initially had them in a Loch in Scotland, but we had to relocate them after they encountered a plesiosaur living there who did not want company. They both prefer it here, as it is warmer than Scotland, especially when the pond is in the sun."

Abby nodded back at the creatures, and if she was unable to stop staring she at least tried not to do it rudely. "Are you looking for another place for them? It must be cold here in the winter. How long have they been here?" He replies, "They have been here almost a year now. It is cold in the winter, but we have placed a magical heating device in the deepest part of the pond. They stay down there except for the noontime hour, when they prefer the rays of the natural sunlight. We will eventually find another place for them, but not until after their current clutch of eggs have hatched." "Oh, how lovely! Congratulations," Abby said sincerely, with another nod at the beautiful creatures. "I like the sun, too. And this beautiful spot. I should have brought some books with me, I could spend a few hours here."

He replies, "So bring a book tomorrow. I can also provide you with one of Dr. Jekyll's elixirs, which will allow you to communicate with them telepathically. I will warn you though, Nalu never shuts up once you get her going, so it will be mostly a one-way communication. Bey's comments are rather profound if his mate ever decides to let him get a word in edgewise."

He reaches into his coat pocket and takes out what looks to be a long flat rectangular envelope. He unfolds the paper to reveal a bar of dried oats-and-honey, 10-inches by 4-inches and a half-inch thick. He snaps it in half and hands the pieces to Abby saying "They are waiting patiently for their treats." Abby smiled and took the offered treat. She moved forward steadily, but not too fast. Obviously these creatures were highly intelligent, but it's never a good idea to startle anything you've just met. "Ladies first," she said, holding it out to Nalu, before then offering the other half to Bay.

The female hippocampus impatiently pulls the food from Abby's hand and then lifts its head back, having the food drop into her mouth where she chomps it. The male smells it first, then bites off a small nibble which it eats, Abby still holding most of the food in her hand. While he is eating it his mate climbs back into the water and swims to the middle of the pond. He leans his head back towards Abby but instead of biting the remaining food he nuzzles his head against her hand and arm. He then takes the food and eats it, while nodding his head up and down." "I think he likes you," Callum comments.

"And I like him, handsome gent," she said. Once the food seemed to be well and truly down, she reached out and gently touched his muzzle. " You'd best get back to your lady before she gets upset with you." He nuzzles her one more time, then heads into the water. When he reaches the center he rolls over and swims lazily on his back while she dives up and out the water with a series of water acrobatic moves. Callum says, "They are just like people, very distinctive personalities. They are actually smarter than a lot of people I know, and far more intelligent than horses and other horse-like creatures such as the Pegasi of Gibraltar or the Unicorns of the Alps."

"Unicorns? Well, if the legends about them are true, they won't like me very much," she laughed. He says, "Well, I for one have no plans to climb the Alps to find one. There's actually a family in Italy that takes wealthy people up on sighting tours, but my sources indicate that the reclusive unicorns seen from a distance on those tours are only horses with fake horns attached." She says, "I can't believe that would fool anyone. Not because they wouldn't be convincing from a distance, but that anyone would think you can just go on a site-seeing tour and reliably find a creature so rare and reclusive?"

She added, only half in jest, "Is it a rich people thing? The idea that anything can be gotten with enough resources?" He says, "I know better." As they are talking the sun moves further west, now placing the pond in the shade from their side to the center. The hippocampi move towards the far side of the lake that is still in he sun, where both of them now frolic together doing what looks like a child's game of hopscotch. She says, "I know you do, but you seem to be a man of uncommon sense and exquisite taste."

She watched the hippocampi for a moment. "I can't imagine what it would be like, to be so intelligent, yet have your whole world be limited to a pond, or a lake. To have so little information from outside your own experience. How deep must your thoughts go their breadth has to be so narrow. Of course, I'm assuming they don't communicate with other creatures, and I should know better than that."

He replies, "Well, that might explain why Nalu likes to communicate so much when given a chance. Captain Nemo says that the ocean hippocampi are able to communicate regularly with dolphins and whales. This pair were the last survivors of two freshwater families, so most of their lives they have only had each other. That could be why they like us so well. Or it could be that they are just creatures with uncommon sense and exquisite taste." "I would imagine it's a bit of both," she said with a smile. "We should probably be headed back. Your meeting must be coming up soon." He says, "It is, and these two will be heading back to the bottom momentarily."

They stand and head back down the stone path between the trees. When they are around half-way back to the buildings they see the carriage stopping in front of the barn, dropping off Pepe and Maracita. The carriage then heads off away to the north. As they near the barn the carriage returns, this time dropping off Charles at the barn. "Well dear, this is where I say goodbye for now. Our timing is good, you are probably tired of walking and can get a ride back the rest of the way to the castle." Charles holds the carriage door for Abby. "I'm no delicate flower, a long walk won't wear me out. Not that I'll turn down the ride, either," she said with a smile.

"Gentlemen, I wish you a productive meeting. I'm sure I'll see you both later." Once she was inside Charles closed the door and a moment later the carriage was on its way back to the castle. The carriage heads around the long way rather than going through the rear wall entrance, stopping at the front staircase. The driver holds the door for Abby and she heads up the stairs.

She is barely inside the large front room when she sees Meagan heading down the staircase from the second floor. She is attired in the tradition Scottish attire for women, the arisaid, with the tartan being the same ancient Royal Stuart that Callum chose to wear today. "Hello Abigail," she states, "I am sorry that I can't stay and chat with you but I am needed elsewhere." "Oh please, don't worry over that. I have seen the library, and I'm sure I will be lost there in moments. But I do hope I will see you later," she said with an honest and friendly smile. Meagan hurries out the front door and to the waiting carriage which then departs.

An older woman exits from the doorway to the kitchen/pantry area and introduces herself (in a heavy French accent) as Francine. She says that she is the senior maid, and that Abigail would have met her daughter last evening. She inquires "And what would Miss Marsters want for a midday meal?" Abby switched to French. "Would it offend anyone on the staff if I said whatever is being made for all of you is just fine for me?" she asked conspiratorially. Francine looked surprised for a moment, then gave her a bit of a smile. "I do not think so, Mademoiselle. Please, come sit and we will take care of you."

A few minutes later Abby was seated at the long dining table again, this time alone but she didn't mind the quiet. A copy of the latest newspaper from Paris sat beside her, and she read it with lazy curiosity and she ate the simple but delicious lunch the staff would be enjoying. A hearty chicken stew, warm, soft bread and perfectly crisp green beans. Not long afterward she could be found in the library, poking into books on French history around Queen Mary's time. It wasn't long before she had a stack of paper, several books, and pen and ink and was making notes.

Time seemed to slip away from Abigail, with the only indication of its passage being the faint sounds through the wall of the grandfather clock in the music room chiming on the hour. Abby is a little surprised when she counts six chimes, as she had apparently missed hearing five and could have sworn that four occurred just a short while earlier. Not long thereafter she hears the sounds of voices in the outside foyer followed shortly by the door to the library opening.

Callum stands there, a smile on his face, as he enters the room while shutting the door behind him. "I trust that you had a productive afternoon!" he asks, more as a statement of fact than a question. "Seems I don't know how not to study," she laughed. "I could be here for weeks and still not follow all these threads I've started down. I don't have ink on my nose, do I? I always seem to get ink on my nose." He replies with a smile, "The nose is clean but I do see a small line of ink on your chin."

He sits down in a leather chair opposite Abby and says, "Well, that could have been better but also could have been a lot worse." He has an envelope in his belt which he takes out and opens, removing four sheets of paper. "Pepe brought this back from the Paris telegraph office. It's a four-page response from the telegram that we sent to my Uncle Alan Plantaganet Stuart, Lord Galloway. It took a lot of the wind out of Meagan's sails." She replies, "Anything being run by a committee is going to be like that, no one ever gets everything their way." She got out a handkerchief and wiped her chin. "He didn't send a four-page telegram, did he? More importantly, what does it say?" Callum smiles and says "I'm being knighted."

"What?" Abby cried, then laughed and shook her head. "You who were so sure you were going to be released from the service and quite possibly disinherited. How? We didn't tell them anything in that telegram." He says, "Well, you're half correct, I will definitely be released from the clandestine services. Remember that Scotsman who we rescued, Robert Lewis Stevenson. He is apparently a writer and wrote a long story about the rescue of him, the archaeologists and that Oxford professor, omitting the use of wizard magics but telling the rest of the tale. It was published in yesterday's Daily Telegraph, London's best selling newspaper. We are now national heroes, and the Queen will be recognizing us next month in a ceremony. And yes, the telegram was four pages long. My uncle is very excited about my bringing honor to the Stuarts in such a heroic and now public manner."

"I remember Mr. Stevenson a little. It seems so long ago now. Well, I'm sure the ceremony is something Mr. Stevenson will greatly enjoy," she laughed. "He did seem one for adventure, but I'm sure he'll be happy to add "Sir" to his name." Callum laughs and says, "Oh no, when I said 'us' I didn't mean myself and Stephenson. I will be knighted and official proclamations will be read honoring my two assistants in the rescue, specifically young Henry Jones and Miss. Abigail Marsters." "Me? Well, I didn't really..." she let out an explosive breath and sat dumbfounded for a moment. "I'm not even a British citizen," she finished lamely.

He laughs, "You're not being knighted or inducted into the Ladies of the Garter, it's only a written proclamation recognizing you for distinguished service to the crown. Those can be granted to anyone regardless of nationality. If a six-year-old Scottish boy can be recognized as such, so can a former archaeology student who studied in the British Isles." "I'm afraid this may be just a little more attention than I'm comfortable with. I should telegram Mrs. Parker. Although I suppose it can wait until we get back to Egypt." She was obviously still a bit rattled. He says, "Oh, that's in my uncle's lengthy note as well. Queen Neferka acknowledges that we have been delayed and she tells us to be safe. I am thinking about us leaving tomorrow evening, as we need to wait until nightfall to inflate and then fly the dirigible unseen."

She comments, "I'm glad young Mr. Jones is alright. I hadn't seen him since I lost track of you there." He says, "Oh yes, the whole team is safe. The last I heard they were still guarding the grounded French ship with the dowry." She says, "So are you relieved to be out of the clandestine service? I got the feeling you enjoyed some of it, at least." He replies, "I did enjoy it, but I am now a public figure, so spy work now is in my past. Anyway, back to the meeting. With my new honors, and praise from the senior member of the Stuart Clan, there was no way that Meagan could have me deposed.

And her criticism of my sharing information with you was also negated by your heroics and general recognition that we are currently working as a team. Plus you apparently greatly impressed Maracita with your background." Abby says, "I can't imagine she was greatly pleased to hear all about your accolades just now. Although honestly, I don't get any impression that she doesn't like you personally. I imagine she was quite conflicted. But what part of my background impressed, Maracita? That is quite nice to hear."

He says, "She agrees with me about an archaeologist being needed to find more information about what the ancients knew. Unfortunately she won't be around to help us, she's leaving momentarily for Peru." Abby says, "Oh no. I hope there is nothing seriously wrong. Just last night she said their home was here now; that they had no reason to return to Peru." Callum says, "After Meagan couldn't attack me or you she shifted to Pepe. He had enough, so announced that he was taking a six-month vacation and she could have his job while he was away. Maracita was less than pleased. The meeting became rather loud, wood elves can be very passionate. She's angrier at him than Meagan. She said she was going home to Peru, and didn't leave any six-month return date like her husband."

"Oh Cal," she moved over and sat in the chair next to him. "I'm sorry. But I wouldn't consider it all settled. Passions have to cool eventually. Although I imagine they'll both be gone for some time." Cal says, "Pepe has made it clear that he will be back in six-months. He's asked to ride back to Egypt with us. Since his Great-Uncle Manuel is currently there he hopes to get a ride back to Mexico with him. Charles wouldn't allow Meghan to have the title of Chief Wizard since she isn't a wizard. We must have spent a half-hour arguing about that one. Her interim title is Chief Mage. Pepe sees this as an opportunity for her to fail, as she now has to prove what she's always said she can do. I think he has underestimated her, she'll rise to the occasion."

"It's hard for me to say. I don't know Meghan very well, and I don't know exactly what is happening here on a daily basis." She sighed lightly. "I guess we'll all just have to see how it comes out." Callum says, "I haven't given Pepe an answer yet. Would you might if he joins us for the ride back?" Abby says, "No, I wouldn't mind. It's not as if we could just have a picnic while the dirigible flies itself to Egypt. And maybe a little time to cool off will convince him to stay. Which might get Maracita back as well. I can't really imagine she'd stay away from her husband that long. You have to love someone a whole lot if they can make you that angry." He replies, "Six months isn't that long for a race that lives for centuries." She replies, "No, I suppose it's not. It's part of my job to think beyond our limits, to try to think like others, but I admit I just can't imagine that kind of life-span."

"Well Abby, it's a little after 6:00 P.M., so we've got approximately twenty-seven hours of so until our airship goes aloft again. What would you like to do here in France during that time?" She was quiet for a moment, thinking about the next day. "I'm not really sure. If I were staying in Paris, I would just take a day and walk the streets, stop in the little cafes and galleries and the museums. And yes, I admit that I would shop, too," she smiled. "And when would you like to return to Paris?" he asks. "The carriage will be leaving for the city with Maracita shortly if we want to ride with her."

Abby says, "We don't have to go back to the city if you'd rather stay here," she said lightly. "Although I imagine you might want to be out of someone's company for a while. We'll probably get quite an earful from Maracita, but I don't mind if you don't." He says, "I wouldn't mind getting back into the city if this is my last night here for a while. Although I may take the coward's way out and sit upside with the driver if you don't mind sharing the ride with her." "Coward's way out? I always thought it the height of wisdom to stay out of the way of an angry woman," she said. "I'm glad I don't have to teach you that myself."

She asks, "Did you have anything in particular you wanted to do in the city?" He says, "Yes actually, I wanted to visit the site of the Exposition Universelle de 1878, which was the World's Fair four years ago. One of the large buildings constructed on the Champ-de-Mars has remained as a concert and conference hall since that time. Tonight is a concert of the works of Jacques Offenbach, who was known as "the Mozart of the Champs-Elysees". His work was quite good, and more importantly, he is a famous French artist who was not a wizard and had nothing to do with the other French artists who we encountered during this past week."

"And you want to be seen patronizing Paris' artists after what happened in Egypt. This place is more home to you and any other, and you want them to know that what was done was not done with any malice toward France." She smiled. "And I would quite enjoy a concert. How formal are the concerts there? Will I need to find something else to wear?" He says, "Some are quite formal, but this one is not. What we are presently wearing will suffice. Normally I would not wear formal Scottish attire due to the added attention it attracts, but your other observation is quite correct about my needing to be seen and recognized."

She says, "I have to admit, I was rather surprised to see you and Charles, and Meghan, too, dressed so formally this morning. Seems you all know one another, no need to be formal together. I did rather like it, though." He smiles and says, "The meeting may have only consisted of the five of us, but it was still a formal meeting of the Stuarts. Anything less for our attire would not have been appropriate. Most of our exchanges are informal, but we hold a formal meeting annually, or whenever either myself, Charles or Meagan feel there is something of significance that has occurred. Since Meagan's arrival we have averaged one of these approximately every quarter-year."

"I suppose I should order a gown for the knighting while I'm in Paris. Unless you think I ought to get it in London? I can't believe this is something I even need to worry about," she chuckled. He says, "The ceremony is not for another five weeks so there is sufficient time, but yes, I would say that at least three different formal clothing changes will be necessary. One for the evening before the ceremony, when you will meet the Stuarts. Another for the ceremony itself. And a third for the ball later that evening." "Three! Oh, this just keeps getting worse and worse," she said, with a definite hint of seriousness. "Meet the Stuarts? I suppose that's necessary, but we have to make a whole evening of it?"

He says, "Abby, I am being knighted! Do you honestly think that either my uncle or my father would do anything less?" She replies, "Of course not. I've only known about this for about five minutes, Cal. I haven't had the chance to think it all through yet. My brain is bouncing from one possibility to the next. I have no idea where I'll be over the next few weeks. Egypt, back in Florida, and now I'll need to be in England. And of course I'll need to tell my mother and all my English relations.

I have no idea how this will affect my employers. Probably not at all. Mrs. Parker and Mr. Eastman are already well-known so a little notoriety is likely alright. But I don't know what their plans are for the future or how this may change them. And the idea of spending an evening with people who do not like me doesn't rank high on my list of ways to have a good time." He says, "Not 'do' not like you, try 'did' not like you. The Queen is personally honoring you, that is something that aristocrats will not ignore. It will certainly raise your esteem in the eyes of my uncle. And having your English relatives present will not be bad thing to help dispel my father of his notion that you are just a troublesome colonist."

She stopped and took a deep breath. "I know, you're being knighted. I'm not. It's a much more important distinction for you, but in light of everything it's just about the best outcome you could have hoped for. Recognition for myself is unexpected... and disconcerting." He says, "Like yesterday, we will be in the city too late for the best shops. But if we make it an earlier night than we did before you could come back into the city tomorrow morning and purchase what you will need. Meagan could tailor them magically so you would not have to wait for alterations and a later fitting."

She says, "It's a shame their sudden turnaround won't help me like them any better. Whether they liked me or not, it actually has nothing to do with me. There's only one Stuart whose opinion I can trust to be honest. Yours." She moved closer and kissed him lightly. "It's the only one that matters anyway." He smiles and says, "Two actually, cousin Charles likes you also. And around here that definitely counts for something." She says, "Well Charles never cared whether I was an aristocrat or not, or if I was an American either. So I will accept his opinion as honestly about who I am as well. Come, if we want to go with Maracita we'd better hurry." She got up and began closing up books and cleaning up her mess.

DM's note: It was important to have Nalu and Bay be fresh-water rather than salt-water hippocampi; Otherwise my planned 4th AGELESS module, involving the salvage of treasure from a sunken Spanish fleet off the Florida coast, could have become incredibly short in duration.

Last edited:

orchid blossom

Explorer
DM's note: It was important to have Nalu and Bay be fresh-water rather than salt-water hippocampi; Otherwise my planned 4th AGELESS module, involving the salvage of treasure from a sunken Spanish fleet off the Florida coast, could have become incredibly short in duration.

I would love to play through that trip to England. My fingers are practically itching to be writing.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I am over here DYING to play Ruby. DYING!!!!! [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] is just nervous to run it in SM's world.

There I said it.

Poke him a lot, maybe it'll help. I'll wack him with a 2x4, maybe he'll feel that :lol:

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I would love to play through that trip to England. My fingers are practically itching to be writing.

BUT I highly suggest that [MENTION=1643]Silvermoon[/MENTION] run the trip to England as well as George and Ruby's wedding. No one can ruin a nice day like Silvermoon can ;)

And I meant that as the highest possible compliment!!! Rofl.

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Remove ads