AGELESS Campaign Episode 2 - Temple of the Cat-Goddess

orchid blossom

Explorer
I am over here DYING to play Ruby. DYING!!!!! [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] is just nervous to run it in SM's world.

There I said it.

Poke him a lot, maybe it'll help. I'll wack him with a 2x4, maybe he'll feel that :lol:

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Get on it, Fenris! (Seriously, get on it while I'm feeling good and motivated and help keep the depression away. It's for my mental health. How can you resist pleas for mental health?)

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Orchid said:
I would love to play through that trip to England. My fingers are practically itching to be writing.
So start writing! You make the opening post of what Abby and Callum have been doing for the month between Egypt and the arrival in England. And if this opening post is multiple pages long all the better, it will give me more to work with.

QUEENIE said:
I am over here DYING to play Ruby. DYING!!!!! @Fenris is just nervous to run it in SM's world.
Now that is just silly. Nothing to be nervous about, Fenris has one of the best understandings of how this world works than anybody I've played with. Plus, it isn't my world, its OUR world, made for everybody to break! And I for one am looking forward to playing rather than DMing. My goal from this point forward is to run all even-numbered AGELESS modules and play in all odd-numbered ones.

QUEENIE said:
BUT I highly suggest that [MENTION=1643]Silvermoon[/MENTION] run the trip to England as well as George and Ruby's wedding. No one can ruin a nice day like Silvermoon can. And I meant that as the highest possible compliment!!! Rofl.
Now, now. I wouldn't ruin a wedding would I? Probably not, but the day before and the day after would be fair game! B-)

Okay, how about this for a game plan.

1. Fenris will begin his module immediately following "Temple of the Cat Goddess"

2. I will start to prepare AGELESS Module Four, which will start in late October/early November with Callum's Knighthood (and possibly even lead to George & Ruby's wedding).

3. We seem to have around 200 readers at this point in time. So I'll throw out this invitation:

If any of you want to stop just reading and start playing (or playing again in the case of former players) I would welcome your participation in my next module following Fenris's. Both an English formal ceremony and the wedding of a wealthy and famous American industrialist could mean that ANYBODY IN THE WORLD could be present. So if you want to pull a figure from history, or create a new one, go right ahead!

And if any of you are readers of Alan Moore's "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" comics, I could use a player for the Campion Bond character (albeit, in this world he is around a decade older than the comic version.)

I have just started a thread over in the ENWorld "Talking the Talk" forum, so we can continue this Out-of-Game conversation there.

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
And now back to our story:

Chapter 125, "Round Two: The British Army", September 13, 1882, 9:30 AM.

George smiles at Amisi, "I think you have become a bit enamored with me princess, and I think it is partially out of a sense of gratitude. It is not uncommon for people to become infatuated with their rescuers. And were I not already engaged, I would leap at an opportunity to seek a marriage in the Royal family. And not to merely be in the Royal family, but to have so beautiful a woman as you as a bride. Some man will be truly lucky to have you. But I wish that you are able to marry for love as I will be doing. And I am terribly flattered that you would even consider me a fit man, worthy of such an honor." says George taking the princess's hand in his.

"You deserve someone even better than me. Perhaps Colonel Hassan? He is a fine man who charged with me into the palace. But I would that you chose someone who you know, someone who you love. But for now Amisi, you have humbled me and I will always treasure you for it. However, I will speak of this to no one, for no one need know your desires but yourself." George bends over and kisses her hand. "You will find the right man, I am unfortunately not him, for he shall have the most beautiful woman in the world second only to my beloved fiancee." ends George straightening. George take a deep breathe looks to see that Amisi has composed herself and waits for Hassan's return.

A disappointed look crosses her face. She does compose herself quickly and then smiles at George. She then states, "I am aware that Miss West is designated to be your first wife, and it is wonderful that you love her. Our society does not impose the limitation of only one spouse. I would be honored to be your second wife. I am fifteen summers old and your physicians can verify that I have never been with a man. I know that I can make you happy Sir, the women in my father's harem have given me personal instruction in how to please a man. You will grow to love me too."

George smiles again. "Have you spoken to your sister about this, I wonder? Amisi, again I am quite flattered. You do have to understand though that in my culture, not only is polygamy not socially acceptable, it is illegal. Additionally in America, you are too young to be married. And that is where my home and business are Amisi, so it is not that I can pick up and live permanently here in Egypt. And for me to take the heir to the throne out of the country permanently would be tantamount to sedition. There are many obstacles to the union you are proposing. Not unless Bast and Aphrodite themselves appeared to compel me, could I overcome such obstacles.

Egypt needs you more than I do. Being a princess often means putting the needs of your nation before your own. Look at your sister's marriage. While I may have played some small role in the salvation of the nation, there are others who deserve recognition more. But I do think all this talk is a bit premature, we still need to get this treaty done. Yes the French are gone, but your sister has a divided and occupied nation she sits over. Let us focus on that before our personal desire for the moment." says George giving Amisi's hand a little squeeze before releasing it. George turns back to his notes before adding "I would think some of my friends who aiding in saving Egypt might be less encumbered to accept such a gift as your, if your would be open to such," without looking up. She gasps and says, "Oh no sir, my sister would never agree to such a thing. It is you who she is indebted to for these negotiations, not those old American men."

Much to George's relief, Colonel Hassan returns with papers in his hands. "I have the breakdown here, by unit, of all troops as of three days ago. The summarized version is that for the Battle on Kassassin on the 10th the British fielded a total of 18,543 troops. Of those, 285 were killed, 1,922 wounded and another 63 missing for a total of 2,270 casualties. That left them a fighting force of 16,273 for this morning's battle. The fighting was comparatively light, having just gotten started, when your team arrived and forced the truce. My staff estimate that during this morning's skirmishes fewer than 100 British troops died with around twice that number wounded, which would leave their fighting forces at approximately 16,000.

Those are the troops right here in this region. Elsewhere in Egypt the British have 3,129 Naval forces and 2,331 army forces for a total of 5,460. They were primarily assigned to Alexandria, although many of those naval forces are currently docked at Port Sa'id and the town of Suez, as their ships were the ones used to transport the army to the canal. Does that help Mr. Eastman." He replies, "Very much Colonel. Again, this gives me a starting point to negotiate from. I think we can send the British delegation in now."

The scribes and guards are called back and everybody gets in their places. The British delegation arrive. Not surprisingly, all are members of the British military, with three generals, each of whom has a lieutenant colonel as their personal aide, and the two scribes. One scribe is a major, the other scribe is an older enlisted man with the stripes of a master sergeant (who is apparently the Arabic scribe). George recognizes all three leaders as General Garnet Wolseley, General Drury Curzon Drury-Lowe, and General Gerald Graham.

"Welcome representatives of The British Armed Forces of the United Kingdom who negotiate for and on behalf of, Her Majesty Queen Victoria. May I introduce the hosts of this conference. Her Royal Highness Princess Amisi, Colonel Hassan of Her Majesty's 3rd Royal Rifle Company of Alexandria. I am the lead negotiator for Her Highness, Queen Neferka, Pharaoh of the Lands of Egypt and the Nile, George Eastman, interim Chief of Staff for Her Majesty." begins George in English looking expectantly at the generals.

General Wolseley begins by thanking George for his interventions the previous morning, first in rescuing General Duruy-Lowe, and second in returning him to battle and exposing the imposter. General Duruy-Lowe also thanks George. George nods to Amisi who sits and then all the men sit. "You are quite welcome gentlemen. As to the imposter, I trust that he has been taken care of. Of course one might say that many people impersonated British officers before the Cardwell reforms." George smiles at his little jest. "But all of the French who were involved in the plot were punished appropriately by divine justice. That of course gentlemen, trumps earthly laws. I am afraid there is nothing left to turn over to you in that regard."

Woolsley replies, "Very good, indeed divine justice takes priority in such matters. We all witnessed the Egyptian deity on the field of battle, although I am unclear as to whether that was Isis or Bast. At any rate, it was obvious that the French alone were who she viewed as the threat. From that it is clear that we have the divine blessing of the land's Goddess to continue our alliance in support of the Egyptian Government. "It was Bast gentlemen. However, do not mistake her lack of punishment as support, tacit or explicit. Your support of the Egyptian monarchy is welcome, but only unencumbered by imperial designs. Your support was most welcome, but as the rebels are no longer an issue, there is no need for your continued physical military presence." says George, still with a smile.

Woolsley answers, "No need? Mr. Eastman, I am not overly surprised by that conclusion, but it is incorrect. The new young monarch was never trained to lead, so I am not surprised by a degree of naivety. However, you are an experienced business man, with international connections, surely you see otherwise? If Queen Neferka's father, with his decades of experience, felt the need to call on us for military support then it stands to reason that under the present circumstances there is even more need. This new ruler has but half of her father's forces, has an organized opposition camped just a few hours from where we currently sit, and has inherited a leadership vacuum that many of her father's Egyptian political rivals will be all too happy to help fill for her. You need us now more than ever."

"It is not a concussion, sir, it is a statement of fact. As for the Queen being untrained, well, Queen Victoria was never trained to lead, and became Queen at a younger age than Neferka, and that has seemed to work out fairly well. In fact gentlemen, you have made an erroneous assumption that she was not trained to lead, for she has been. I can tell you from personal conversations with her, she is quite adept and competent to rule. As to her father's rule, yes he had decades of experience. But then again so did Charles the first of the England. Do not equate time with experience gentlemen. As for your other assertions, the organized opposition will be dealt with by the end of these talks. While indeed there is a political vacuum, the Queen also has on her side a most definitive and persuasive demonstration of divine providence to rule by Bast herself. Few Egyptians would dare violate such a demonstration from one of their gods so soon, if ever.

And lastly, the Queen has me. A confidant you yourself have deemed qualified. I and my colleagues have been quite active in establishing peace in this nation. General Drury-Lowe owes his life and liberty to our actions. Not that I begrudge him that, nor to General Woolseley for ridding him of the traitor in his midst. These actions benefited you men personally as well as the British Army. So you are well acquainted with our abilities. These are not minor issues gentlemen." Woolsley replies, "Any benefit to us personally is irrelevant to these discussions Mr. Eastman. We are here as representatives of Queen Victoria and what we do here today it is only for the benefit of her Empire.

George nods and concludes "So, gentlemen, the Queen and Egypt, do not need you now more than ever. In fact it is our assertion that we do not need you now, militarily, now , at all." General Wolseley says, "While an organized opposition still exists you do, whether you realize it yet or not. We are only looking out for our mutual best interests. That rebel Orabi would have brought Egypt to ruin. If we walk away now, leaving him whispering in Queen Neferka's ear, the same result will eventually occur."

"Wait a moment sirs. So you will ignore a direct service I rendered to you that was to your benefit in the name of benefit to the Empire, yet turn around and says that Orabi represents a something not of benefit? That seems a little disingenuous. However, since you seek only to serve Queen Victoria and the benefit of Empire as you have said, it is settled. Thank you for your agreement gentlemen. Egypt is not a part of the British Empire and so you, nor Queen Victoria have any voice, vote, influence or sway here.

Your request for military aid and assistance is hereby revoked and any troops remaining upon Egyptian soil can and will be tried for sedition and their presence seen as an act of war. In the name of the benefit of the Empire of course gentlemen. Egypt's affairs are Egypt's to solve. I need not remind you what happened upon the battlefield yesterday, or who protects this nation. Nor do you wish to receive the fates of the French who plotted against the monarchy." says George his face suddenly grim as he leans back in his chair.

"Hold on sir, we should not make any hasty decisions." Woolsley states, his voice a few octaves higher than before. General Graham interjects, "Perhaps we have gotten off to a poor start. Maybe a short recess or a spot of tea might be in order." George answers, "A poor start? Never gentlemen, and I think we must press on, strike while the iron is hot as it were. Under what pretext could you possible justify any continued presence here? I submit none. Nor will Egypt suffer any. And if you think that is disturbing gentlemen, we have a long day ahead of us. One you will not like. I will add that I have been in contact with some Boer representatives who are looking for allies to remove British influence from Africa entirely. I am sure you gentlemen, remember that action well.

DM's Out-of-Game comment to George's Player: "You Play Dirty! His response " Of course I do, and you love it!"

"So again I say, there is no conditions under which I can see a continued British military presence in Egypt. If you gentlemen can enlighten me as to a valid one, I would be delighted to hear it. Oh and you may have some tea as we discuss things, no need to leave." George calls over to one of the ogre guards in Arabic asking for tea to be served. Woolsley says, "Our continued presence is needed here because of the canal. Let us have the tea, then we can discuss it like civilized men."

George smiles "Why do we need to wait for tea to continue our discussion? Does the tea merely make us civilized, or or you implying I or my Egyptian colleagues are not civilized? No matter, the tea is on it's way, along with milk and sugar. No biscuits though I am afraid gentlemen. But I am glad you brought up the canal General Woolsley. For you are right in that a British military force would be needed to protect British interests in the canal. However....."

George pauses, takes a drink of water, relishing the looks of discomfort on the general's faces and continues "However, Her Majesty Queen Neferka, Pharaoh of Egypt and the Nile has deemed that the canal, being solely within the borders of Egypt, should be the sovereign right and entity of Egypt. Which is why the canal is to be seized and nationalized, today. The previous contracts over financing of the canal and preferential rates for ships of certain nations are hereby suspended and cancelled due to their being usurious, deceptive, and constructed to ensure the financial failure of the canal, thus forcing the relinquishing of interest by Egypt. This was done quite purposefully and now it shall be rectified. If the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland wishes to have ANY access to the canal, her representatives will be cooperative, or India may prove to be hard to rule having to sail around the Cape of Good Hope all the time. Oh look the tea is here." says George.

"Would you care for a cup of tea Princess?" George asks Amisi. "Yes please," she states. George pours the tea. None of the three Generals move or speak, all dumbfounded by George's pronouncement. General Drury-Lowe gestures the aides forward to pour the tea. While they are sipping the tea General Drury-Lowe finishes his quickly and says, "Since we are taking a short break I believe that now would be a good time for me to stretch my legs." As he reaches the door he moves his fist up to his mouth, presumably to suppress a cough, while looking back into the room. George hears a faint whisper in his ear in Drury-Lowe's voice saying "We should talk sir."

George, still looking at the princess, nods his head. "I hope you are following along well enough Amisi. Please do excuse me for a moment I need to fetch something from the other room. " George approaches Hassan and whispers in his ear. "How did you like those salvos Colonel." he says with a grin. "I need to get something from another room, keep an eye on things here for me." "Pardon me gentlemen, I need to fetch an article I forgot. I shall not be long" says George to the remaining generals. Once outside he quickly find Drury-Lowe who is walking in the garden. "General, I am glad to see you feeling much better than at our last meeting. What can I do for you." George asks.

Drury-Lowe walks right up to George and asks "Are you daft? I was under the impression that you attempting to stop a minor war. Now it appears that you wish to incite a major one instead. I am not sure that you understand the degree of latitude that General Woolsley has been granted in this situation. Do you want a military occupation of Egypt by Great Britain? Honestly sir, that is not what we are seeking. But if we are forced to do that as the only means of preventing an economic collapse of our banking system, then that is what we will have to do."

George stares hard at the man for a moment. "You are welcome, again, for allowing me to save your life." begins George with such acidity that the words hang in the air. "Daft am I? Daft as a fox? Or simply David to the Imperial Goliath? I don't care what latitude Woolsely has been granted if he will act as an impertinent toady to Gladstone's slavish devotion to the lending houses of London. The fact remains that Gladstone's only motivation is economic. And if you want to use that as justification for an invasion? How will the British press spin that into a jingoistic rhetoric? The fact is that these people here deserve self-determination, not subjugation. Economic, militarily or political. Perhaps it is naivety, perhaps I am idealistic and not realistic. But in your heart sir, do you thing that the rampant expansion of the British Empire and subjugation of millions of people who had their own government and economic systems, all to line the pockets of noblemen and plutocrats in London is ethical? Is what the gods would deem just, good or holy? I don't believe so. Just because Britain has found itself ahead of the curve in technology does not give it free reign to crush other cultures. But then again it was your brutal treatment of the Irish that lead to having the man power to grow such an Empire in the first place.

As for war. Well, it would seem war had come to Egypt whether I would it or not. But ask yourself this Drury, after the Afghan War, the Zulu War, Ninth-Xhosa, the Boer War, which is heating up again from what I hear. Nigeria and Burma are proving to be very difficult for the army to penetrate and exert control over. 'The Sun Never Sets on the British Empire'." drones George. "If you wish to have Woolsley involve the Empire in yet another war so be it. I understand the strategic and military significance of the canal. I also know how underhanded, manipulative and strong armed the British were in getting it built with a repugnant deal that left Egypt holding all the debt while English Banks reaped all the profits with no risk.

So maybe I am daft for wanting justice. Maybe I am daft for demanding fair treatment, maybe I am daft for risking a larger war. But I know what is right. I know what needs to be. Are these absolute demands? Perhaps. Am I willing to listen to compromises, absolutely. I am a negotiator, that is what I am here to do. But do not think these are idle threats. Britain has no legal standing to be here, not even to secure it's 'economic interests'. I am a man of convictions, a man of beliefs, a man of courage. And I will not back down from a fight because a bully threatens me. " George finally stops, he had been getting heated, his finger had extended and he had been shaking it at the General. These were things he had kept suppressed from the negotiations table. But here he had let his emotions loose. "My apologies General. I became rather emotional. Do not discount the words, rather take the passion they were spoken with and magnify their meaning with it."

Drury-Lowe pauses and then says, "Mr. Eastman. I think that you have failed to comprehend something here. You and I are on the same side. I do not disagree with the vast majority of what you have just said. I want this to end peacefully. And yes, the last thing the Empire needs now is another war. General Woolsley however is a good soldier and will follow his orders, and not necessary apply the flexibility needed to seek a compromise. The same is true of Graham. The approach that you were taking was not the correct approach to take with them. If you draw a line in the sand General Woolsley will see that as a challenge to walk over that line. He is a soldier, not a diplomat. That is why I wished to speak to you privately. While I too am a soldier, I am a cavalry officer, where flexibility and compromise are critical parts of the job. He will break through a wall in his path while I will seek a way to ride around it."

George offers Drury a cigar. As both men smoke, George asks "Ok, cavalry officer. How do I flank Woolsely?" asks George blowing a smoke ring. Drury-Lowe says, "First, your strongest point was your reference to Bast, but that would mean little to him. He is not a religious man and had not even bothered to identify the Egyptian deity. Anybody with even cursory knowledge of Egypt would know that the Cat Goddess is Bast, not Isis. You should save the religious arguments for other negotiators and not him.

Second, he feels that Great Britain is currently in a position of strength. And militarily he is correct. Yes, we currently have the majority of our land forces in Tel el-Kabir, however we still have significant forces in Alexandria, Port Said, and the town of Suez. Currently Egypt has none of the King's forces in those places, those battalions had defected to Orabi's rebels and are now inland at Tel el-Kabir. Mr. Eastman, those are Egypt's three major ports. General Woolsley could easily take them over and hold them until British reinforcements arrive, using those ports to land at.

Third, you were incorrect in your previous assessment about Britain having no legal standing in Egypt. Because of the aforementioned legal manipulations by the British banks and William Ewart Gladstone, Britain could claim title to the canal itself and land immediately adjacent to the canal. You threatened to have Queen Neferka nationalize it, well Woolsley could make the exact same threat, and other nation's would recognize Britain's claim. So I would suggest the following approach. You need to give the General something, anything, that will show your willingness to compromise. Then call for a recess to allow me time to speak with him privately."

George blows another puff of smoke in silence for a moment. "I haven't laid all my cards on the table yet Drury. I doubt Woolsley would have a single ship left if he tried to take the ports. But that is not my goal. I will grant a recess so you can talk to him. But what bone to throw him? How about that I don't have Bast turn him into an actual goat" chuckles George. "Ok, how about if I state my previous comments were not absolute but my starting negotiation position? That indicates I am willing to compromise." Drury-Lowe says, "That's a good start, but you should also try to find something to also stroke his ego. That will put him in a better mind frame for our talk.

And Mr. Eastman, I truly am grateful for the rescue. I was not merely a target of convenience for those French, they needed me to be removed for their plan to be successful. This conversation between us right now, as well as the means that I used to request it, should make it obvious as to why that was so." George says, "Yes, unfortunately, not matter how much of a blackguard you might have been, I would have rescued you. I did not want to be rude and bring it up, but it is a rather, um, unusually talent not only for a military man, but especially an Englishman. You must have had to hide this yes? As for ego stroking, hrmmm. Nothing comes to mind. Suggestions?"

Drury-Lowe says, "I was a brash young Lieutenant at the Siege of Sevastopol back in Fifty-five, during the Crimean War. We were allied with the French at that engagement and during the siege I picked up a few tricks. While I have kept that quiet in British circles, one of the Frenchmen here in Egypt had also been at Sevastopol and was aware of my training. And just now, I took no small risk in exposing myself to you. But I felt that you wouldn't save my life one day only to cause me to be hanged the next. As for how to butter Garnet's bread, just play it by ear. Get him talking and he is sure to mention something that you can latch onto."

"No, I wouldn't expose you for such tricks as you would call them. As for Woolsley I will play it by ear. My thanks though sir." says George extending his hand. "Best that you enter first and I will be along in a few minutes." George waits a bit to finish his cigar to give Drury a chance to enter the room alone. He proceeds in and finds everyone waiting for him.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 126, "Back to Paris", September 13, 1882, 6:30 PM.

Callum and Abby approach the carriage. The driver holds the door for Abby as she gets inside, the other passenger Maracita already there, with a small trunk, a leather satchel and a large hat-box near her. Abby takes the other seat as Callum climbs up top with the driver. Maracita notes this without comment at first. Only after the carriage is around a mile from the estate does she ask Abby "He won't even sit with me at this point will he?"

Abby answers, "I didn't get a full accounting of the meeting, but I didn't get the impression he's angry with you, although he is upset and sad. Perhaps he just wants to avoid hashing over something when more talking obviously won't change it. I think he was more worried about you being angry with him." She replies, "Well he would be right then. The vote for her to become Chief Mage was three-to-one, with Pepe abstaining since he was not planning to be present during her six-month term. If either Callum or Charles had sided with me she would not have gotten the job, a majority was needed."

Abby answers, "In my completely uninformed and unasked for opinion, you're right. She shouldn't have been allowed to attack and cut down others and be rewarded for it. Plus with Cal going away again, and you and Pepe gone, there will be only Charles here to counter her. If nothing goes wrong she will take it as confirmation that she is right for the job and use it to try and keep it, and if something goes wrong... Well, then something will have gone wrong with Charles here to try to undo it. Obviously I don't know the day to day operations, so I don't know how wrong it could go. But it seems if no one ever had any intention of her having this job, they should have stood behind that instead of hoping she'll hang herself with the rope they gave her and then have to fix it."

Maracita says, "Well, Chief Wizard, now Chief Mage, is far more than just the five of us. We are just the Stuart Magic Council. We have nearly one-hundred wizards, sorcerers, bards, clerics and druids employed here between the Stuart estate and the four mock farms. I am certain she will fail, Charles actually thinks that she will succeed when finally given a chance. We will see, but I know for a fact that I could not work for her. You and I spoke yesterday of my native Peru and I have been thinking of it since. A time for a trip home is in order."

Abby sighed. "I have met some people I couldn't work for, I do understand that. But it can't be easy to leave something you've been working toward for so long. And to go knowing Pepe intends to return? The whole situation makes me uneasy and sad, and I have only the slimmest connection to it." Maracita places her hand on Abby's and says, "Do not overly concern yourself. You humans spend far too much time planning for the future. At my age you come to have learned that the future will take care of itself. What happens between myself and Pepe will most-likely resolve itself in due time. In the meanwhile, he made a decision and needs to live with the consequences. If he thought that I would just sit here and take orders from that witch while he runs off with his great uncle to who-knows-where he has another thing coming."

Abby says, "There is a reason we plan for the future. We don't have much of it. Things will surely resolve themselves with time, but it's often far more time than we have. So we scratch and fight now for fear that tomorrow will never be. I will never reach your age, so I will never have as much wisdom as you do. I will have to trust yours. I am sure that Cal is hoping I'll talk you around. He didn't say so of course. But men seem to think that we have some magical power when we talk to each other." Maracuta says, "Callum, or should I say Sir Callum, is a wise man. We do possess this magical power, it is called love. I am glad that you two found each other again, I have never seen him this happy."

Abby looked down for moment, obviously pleased. Color climbed up the back of her neck and into her cheeks as she lifted her eyes again. "I'm not sure what I feel. When we were separated... I knew it had to do with his family and I knew it wasn't his idea. But neither of us had any idea of being truly in love with one another. So after he left I was angry at his family, but I mostly mourned the idea of our relationship and then got on with my life. When I saw him again in Bast's temple... all the feelings I'd had for him came rushing back. I'm touched by how deeply he's come to feel for me, how he hasn't forgotten. But I don't want to confuse that with love. Or maybe it's the other way around. With this recognition from the Queen his family's objections to me shouldn't be a problem anymore. But I'm just not sure of myself right now."

She smiles and says "He and I have not spoken of this, I just know what I have seen. But I will ask you for one huge favor, one that is unfair of me to ask. If he should ask you to marry him, please say no. He is not yet ready for that level of commitment, but his love will blind him to that fact." She replies, "Maracita, I am not ready for that commitment. when I chose to be educated and pursue a career, I knew that love or marriage was far less likely for me. Now, it might be in my future. But I have a lot of adjusting of my expectations to do. I told you last night I wasn't ready to be a lead on this kind of dig. I need more experience.

I need more experience in life before I decide if I will be a wife, too. And marrying Cal isn't just become a wife. Now, it's becoming Lady Stuart. It's becoming a part of aristocracy, even if it's a minor part. It's taking on a lot of new responsibilities that I'm not sure I want. I just hope if he does intend to ask, he doesn't do it in some public place where we will be forced into a long engagement while we wait for both of us to be ready." She smiles and says, "Good, we are of one mind then. I only want what is best for him. As I said, he and I have not spoken with this, and while he won't even sit inside the same carriage with me for a half-hour that is unlikely to occur in the near future. I wish both of you well, in whatever path the future takes you."

Abby says, "I refuse to believe we won't see you again. Even if it's a day far in the future, if he does ask that question and I can accept. And try not to feel too badly that he isn't inside with us... if you want to have a few words with him in Paris, I can stand a few feet off. But don't part without friendly words between you. Even for you, life is too short not to tell those you care about how you feel."

Maracita says "I am certain that we will say cordial good-byes to one another. He probably is correctly assuming that you are here calming me down from my earlier tirade. Men, how foolish they can be at times. The last thing I would want is to be up top in a open carriage at the speeds we are now traveling at. It will probably take him multiple cantrip spells to fix his flyaway hair. And he is probably also having to use both of his hands to hold down his kilt to keep it from ballooning up." Abby laughed. "I can just picture it. If he's smart, he's tucked the fabric under his legs so it can't, but we both know he's not smart. He's sitting uncomfortably on top instead of inside with two beautiful women!"

She sat smiling for another moment. "I know this knighting is the best thing that could have come from the situation for him, but I'm just not sure how I feel about being recognized myself. And meeting the Stuarts... Won't that be fun." Maracita says, "Take the accolades when you can get them, women still do not get enough well deserved recognition. And this rescue that you did with Callum? Were you really his assistant or did you play an equal role?

Regarding the Stuarts, Callum's mother is a sweetheart. As long as you don't swear in front of her and mind your manners you will do fine. His father is easy to manipulate too, you just have to encourage and compliment him without it being totally obvious." Abby says, "I have no interest in impressing Callum's father. I ought to, I suppose, but he passed judgment on me long ago. I won't go out of my way to offend, of course. But I fear warmth may be beyond me.

As for the rescue... The impetus was Cal's, of course. He had the magical potions we used to make it all work, as well. I used one of them to disguise myself as Sarah Bernhardt, which got us into the camp and the tent where they prisoners were being held. The most important thing that happened to me there had nothing to do with the rescue. Bernhardt's mentor saw us and wanted to talk, and that's where I learned of the plot to poison a royal feast and murder most of the Egyptian Royal Family. After we returned from the rescue I spent the next day making sure that didn't happen. Anyway, I got Cal into the tent with another friend of mine, then talked to Bernhardt's mentor. Once I returned they were about ready to go, and it was a matter of getting out unseen. There were enough elixirs to get everyone out in various ways."

She paused and thought for a moment. "I'd say I was closer to an equal than an assistant, but considering what the writer of that story saw, that would have been his interpretation and I can't expect otherwise." Maracita concludes, "So by your own admission your deserve the recognition. Take it and stop complaining. Ah look, we're almost to Paris. Callum really must want to get rid of me, we made almost record time, less than twenty minutes for what would have been a full-hour trip in a normal carriage."

Abby says, "Or he realized what a terrible idea it was to sit on top of the carriage and wants it to be over as fast as possible. If I stop complaining, then you have to stop thinking Cal actually wants to be rid of you," she said with a bit of a smirk. "I'm sure he'd listen for hours if he thought it would make you stay. And yes, I suppose the recognition is happening whatever I think of it, so I might as well enjoy it. And it's not as if most of the places I work in the world will realize or care, so it shouldn't really interfere with my ability to move about unnoticed."

Maracita says, "Correct, it will probably only be remembered in British aristocratic and academic circles. Outside of those arenas who remembers beyond the day's news story? Last year at least half a dozen people were similarly recognized by Queen Victoria, can you name even one of them off the top of your head?" "I'm an uncultured American, I couldn't have named them the day it happened," she teased.

"Alright, alright, I give in. To be honest, I was just rather shocked by the whole business. Don't fret, I have a pretty good handle on my own worth, and I don't hold it cheap. It sounds like I don't feel like what I have done these last few days is extraordinary, but that's not it. It's that it shouldn't be. As far as I was concerned it was just what had to be done, so to be recognized simply for doing what is right and necessary, that's what surprises me." Maracita answers, "Doing what just had to be done. This is probably the best definition of heroics that I have ever heard. And the majority of heroes feel the exact same way, they never reflect on what they do at the time, only after the fact."

"My arms sure wish I had considered at the time. I jumped off a flying carpet to unlatch some kind of magical boat engine and it took off with me. They are still aching something fierce. How's that for heroic reflection?" she laughed. "Maracita, I am sorry to see you go. I know I'll be leaving tomorrow, but whatever happens I'm sure I'll be back and it would have been a pleasure to spend some more time with you." She replies,"Or you can visit me in Peru, I am easy to find."

The carriage comes to a stop outside of a tavern on the outskirts of the city. The driver opens the door and Abby sees that the signs on the tavern roof and walls are all in Spanish rather than French. Callum has also climbed down and looks immaculate. He approaches Maracita and they hug and say goodbye to each other, with minimal conversation. She heads into the building with the driver following while carrying the three pieces of luggage.

Abby stuck her head out the door and said to Cal, "You're a fool if you didn't tell that woman that you love her like family, that you appreciate everything she's done for you, and that you'll be there in a moment if she ever needs you." He looks at Abby, is silent for a minute, and then says, "You're right." He turns and heads into the building. The driver returns and holds the door open, waiting for Callum to return.

Abby stares briefly at the driver. There was something very disconcerting about the man. This was the fourth trip that she had made in the carriage in the past day and he had never spoken or shown the slightest emotion. Nor had anybody ever addressed him by a name other than 'Driver'. She now notices that the man does not blink. Abby sat back in the carriage. Gods, people from other planets, now some kind of automaton. Well, at least she didn't need to feel guilty about keeping the driver up and waiting for them.

Callum soon returns, with a little more spring in his step. The driver shuts the door after Callum enters and heads back up to drive the carriage. "Thank you Abby, that was very much needed. I trust that you and Maracita had a nice conversation." Abby says, "We did. She helped me sort out my thinking on a couple of things, and basically told me to stop feeling sorry for myself," she laughed. "That wasn't precisely what I was doing, but I was worrying over things that aren't worth worrying about. And you're welcome. I didn't want to see you chewing yourself up with regret for letting her go without saying the important things."

She paused then said, "So what sort of automaton is driving this carriage?" He smiles and replies, "It is a clockwork man, it even made a loud ticking sound until we put a magical sound suppression device into it. Approximately 125 years ago a group of those automatons attacked the Palace of Versailles. A visiting physician was able to deactivate them and King Louis XV then put them into storage.

When Meagan's mother heard about these devices she made a formal request to study them and three were sent to our castle for examination. She suspected magic, but it turns out there is nothing magical about them, only mechanical. She was never able to reactivate them. But when my Torchwood associates first visited here it only took Captain Nemo a couple of hours to get them working again, he is a mechanical genius. They had previously worn over-sized porcelain masks, but Doctor Jekyll was able to fabricate the more human-like heads for them to wear."

We never did find out exactly who made them, other than that it was clearly an enemy of King Louis XV. We suspect that the maker was probably Austrian given Louis's role in the War of Austrian Succession. He had other enemies too, but it is the people of Germany, Austria and Switzerland who are best known for their watch making expertise, so that is the most logical answer." Abby says, "If they were designed to attack, you're sure it's entirely safe to be using them? Sounds like the kind of thing that might have been better left alone."

Callum replies, "Oh, they're absolutely safe now, Nemo gave them new orders. And nobody other than Nemo now knows how to give them instructions. The only possible exception to that would be the original creator, but that person is very likely long dead. The only still living person who we deduced could potentially be the creator was Dwarven, as they are a longer lived race. That Dwarven clock maker lives in Austria, so he could have possibly fabricated them. But we secretly searched his workshop and laboratory, and found absolutely no evidence that he had made them."

"You say that so casually 'We secretly searched his workshop.' She shook her head. "Your career path definitely took you to a lot more interesting places than mine did. But I can't say I'd want to trade with you, not after the past few days." He laughs and clarifies, "When I said 'we' I meant Torchwood, I personally was undergoing archaeology training in England at that time, so your career path and mine were actually on parallel tracks then."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 127, "A Sad Goodbye", September 13, 1882, 9:30AM

The light had long been flooding her room when Ruby finally awakened from her deep sleep. Her eyes fluttered open a crack, then squeezed shut, the light being too bright. Her long arms and legs stretched but didn't get very far, constricted by the dress she was still wearing. It had been quite some time since she had fallen asleep in a dress and she smirked at the thought. She pulled herself up out of bed and still bleary eyed looked around for coffee. She found a fresh pot and a newspaper near the window. She poured herself a large cup and curled up in a comfy chair while she savored it, ignoring the news. She'd live enough of it over the past days to want to catch up.

After her coffee Ruby took a hot, luxurious bath. Soaking in the hot water made her sore muscles a little less achy and she was grateful they didn't hurt worse. After her bath she took her time dressing, choosing beautiful Egyptian robes she found hanging in her closet. She left her red locks hanging freely but added some jeweled hair combs to hold the hair off her face. She made her way downstairs, looking to see if the Queen was available.

She is informed that the Queen is not available, as she is still in negotiations with the foreign powers and rebels in the main dining room. She is told that a smaller secondary dining room is open for the other guests of the hotel if she would like to wait there. Ruby does go to the smaller dining room to eat and scope out the other guests. Six tables have patrons at them. Two are large groups of men in Egyptian clothing. Another has a group has Egyptian Army officers, some of whom Ruby remembers seeing the night before when the flying carpet arrived. One has a young couple dining together the woman appears to be Egyptian and the man looks European. Another table has a interesting older woman dining alone, she is dressed in local Egyptian garb but has a European appearance to her, and Ruby has sworn that she has seen the woman before.

The last occupied table has Sultan Ali Ranual, the nephew of the hotel owner, who smiles upon seeing Ruby enter the room. Ruby saunters over to the smiling man. "Good morning Sultan. It's been quite exciting around here as of late, has it not? I've decided to enjoy a little breakfast and some site seeing now that things have calmed down." He smiles and say "Oh yes, please be seated Miss West." Before he can even signal a waiter has arrived and takes Ruby's order for food and beverages. Ali Ranuel says, "It is a huge honor to have our new Queen here. I would like to ask a large favor if I can be so bold. If we could have your fiance take photographs of her visit it would be very helpful. The more we can publicize her visitation her the more prestige we will gain in the long run."

Ruby smiled and nodded. "Yes, of course. I am certain George would enjoy that, as long as the Queen approves. We have gotten very good service here so I am sure it will not be an issue." She kept an eye on the familiar woman, trying to figure out where she knew her from. She was actually going to try to have breakfast with her but once the Sultan grabbed her to sit, she did not want to offend him. Still, she just could not put her finger on why she was familiar and it was getting to her so a large part of her attention was focused there. Further concentration on the women reveals a magical aura surrounding her.

Ruby says, "I imagine you wouldn't even need a picture, I mean, once word spreads the Queen has stayed here you'll be sold out all the time." She laughed lightly, "I do hope you'll have room for me on my next trip here!" He says, "But photographs can be displayed on the wall for posterity. Even one-hundred years from now they will see that we hosted the Queen. As for a room for you, I will always have one for you. And if for any reason Mr. Eastman does not follow-through on his offer to marry, a room could be found for you here permanently."

Ruby laughed heartily. "You flatter me, Sultan, and I do appreciate and value the offer. Alas, my heart is restless and I find it will be quite some time before I can settle down in any one spot." Ruby placed her hand over the Sultans. "But we shall be very good friends, if that pleases you." "It does indeed," he states. The food that Ruby ordered is delivered. The Sultan's tea is refilled and he takes a sip. He asks, "Is the Queen's visit here only a one-time thing, or will this be a semi-permanent place for her? This city is where her new husband is from." Ruby says, "I don't honestly know. I don't think SHE knows yet. This had all happened so fast for her. She hasn't even had any private time with her husband yet. She'll have a lot of decisions to make now, I don't envy her."

Ruby ate some of her breakfast then asked, "Do you know who that woman is over there? She looks awfully familiar." He looks at the woman and says "I am not sure, I do not think I have seen her before. She did not stay here last evening. But she looks like a visitor, and since this is one of only two hotels in the city that caters to foreigners, I am not surprised she came here to eat and possibly get a room." Ruby nodded. "I will keep my eye on her, perhaps introduce myself after breakfast. It is an odd time to just show up in this city."

Ruby enjoyed her breakfast and the company. "Sultan, I haven't had much time to enjoy your beautiful city. Could you recommend some nearby shops I should check out? Shopping is always a good way to decompress," she laughed. He says, "I can do one better than that. I can assign a staff member to accompany you. My head of guest services knows all of the finer places and has ongoing relationships with the vendors. As a stranger of foreign birth I fear you would be greatly taken advantage of, she will see that you receive fair value."

Ruby lit up. "That would be fabulous! The Queen and I have some shopping and fun planned, but I fear she will be a while in the meetings. I need to keep myself busy so I don't get into trouble." Ruby giggled, a sound that had been missing the past days. "And I just hate getting taken advantage of, so I extra appreciate your help. I will definitely make sure George gets some good pictures for you, for your help." He says, "Very good, I have finished my tea so I will go and find her. Enjoy your meal, I should return in a half-hour if not sooner." "Sounds good. Thank you again!"

Ruby finished her breakfast in a hurried fashion, before the mystery lady could disappear. She dabbed her lips then got up from the table. She walked over to woman's table in a friendly fashion. "Good morning," Ruby said as she approached. "I hope I don't seem rude, I just saw you sitting here and thought I would introduce myself. Ruby," she extended her hand, "Ruby West. It's been quite an interesting few days around here and I didn't think there were many other foreigners, like myself." "Please have a seat Miss Ruby," the woman replies with a smile.

Ruby smiled as she sat, watching the woman carefully. Her first thought was that this was one of her teachers elaborate disguises. But she couldn't exactly ask the lady... "Thank you. As I said, it's been quite crazy around here. Enough to ruin one's vacation, I'd say," she laughed. "I'm sorry, you haven't mentioned your name..." She replies, "I have gone by many names over the years, but for this trip to Zakazik I am travelling under the name of Mrs. Beatrice Mullins, but you can call me Bea." Ruby says, "Bea, very nice to make your acquaintance. You mentioned having traveled here before. I hope it's not rude to ask, why are you in this beautiful city? Site seeing perhaps?" "I came to say goodbye to a dear friend," is her reply.

"Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. My apologies, my asking was incredibly rude, it's none of my business. Unless you would like to talk about it, of course. I'm always willing to listen to a friend." Ruby smiled awkwardly. The woman replies, "Yes, thank you. I find myself in a difficult situation. I know what I must do but it is not what I wish to do. I need to think of the welfare of others above myself though. What would you do if you were in my situation? If sharing the full truth would bring nothing but sadness? Should I keep the truth to myself and just lie, and only tell my friend what she wants to hear?"

Ruby nodded as she listened. "That is quite a spot to be in, for sure." Ruby thought hard for a long moment. "Well, if you only tell your friend what she would want to hear, what kind of damage comes from that? What kind of damage comes from telling her whatever it is you have to say? What damage is there to yourself? I am sure you have asked yourself these questions already. You started off by saying you knew what you had to do. Probably in your heart you already know the answer." "I know," the woman says. A tear rolls down the woman's cheek and she teaches across the table, taking Ruby's hands in hers. "Dearest Ruby, my Golden Eagle, I have to leave you." Ruby just sat and stared at the "woman" before her, stared in shock. A very long moment passed before Ruby spoke. "I-I don't understand? Teacher? I, why would you say that?"

He says, "My life is at risk. I was ordered over a month ago to have no further contact with either you or your grandmother. That was why I was in disguise when we encountered each other in the pyramid. But you needed to know who I was then, all of our lives were in great danger. Based upon what happened to the King and his sons I truly believe I did the right thing then, I am just sorry that it was too late for us to save them as well as ourselves. I must go, and not see you again. If I stay in contact with you it will only lead to my demise."

Ruby was confused and agitated. "I-I still don't understand. Who told you to stay away from me and Nana?" She started sniffling. "Why is your life in danger? Why would you- you seeing me cause your-your d-d-demise?" Her teacher continues to hold Ruby's hand and replies, "Do you really want to know? If sharing the full truth would bring nothing but sadness? Should I keep the truth to myself under those circumstances?" She gripped his hand tighter in hers. "Yes, you must tell me now, you have to tell me! I am not letting you leave me until you tell me the truth. No matter what." In her mind, Ruby insisted to herself she wouldn't ever let him leave anyway but she was strong and she would deal with whatever came her way.

Her teacher replies, "Ruby, when we first met I told you of my history. How I served in the Mexican military and how a little less than a half-century ago I fought at the Alamo. I was one of Santa Anna's chief wizards at that battle. I was the one who used magic to break down the walls and stormed the fortress. But I did not tell you the details, of something dreadful that I did that day, and that is what has come back to haunt me now. If I tell you, well, I do not know what you will think of me. We have had a wonderful relationship these past nine months. I do not wish it spoil it. Wouldn't it be best for us to just part with what we have now fully intact?"

Ruby looked upon her teacher, hidden as a woman, solemnly. She thought seriously upon his words for a moment before a laugh escaped her lips. "Teacher, do you not know me? You, more than almost anyone, know of some of the things I have done, things that now I am ashamed to have done. Things that were bad, selfish and dangerous. And do you know still love me? After all you have done for me, how can you imagine I would love you even less?" She smiled warmly, "Please, please tell me what is going on. Maybe I can even help."

The teacher replies, "Ruby, before I go on you need to understand. It was war, these Americans were trying to take from Mexico land that had been ours. We had lost to the Spanish but they were gone, we had our own nation again, and now these short-lived Americans were trying to do to us what the Spanish had. So we fought back. You have been in combat. You do what you need to in order to win. That is what I did that day. I let the soldiers fight the soldiers and I as a wizard fought their wizard. He was a young man, a brave man, but also skilled in magic. Magic that he was using to fight my forces, using to try to steal our country from us.

I was furious. I saw this brash young man as a hypocrite, from a country that spurned wizard magic as evil and here he was using it against us. Furthermore, he had served in Congress, the body that made the laws of the United States, the very laws that said that wizard magic was evil. So I took out my anger on him. I was more powerful, but I did not just kill him, I took no mercy on him. The man's screams still haunt my dreams. The Alamo did have survivors, the women and the Elvan servants of the soldiers. They knew I had done, and they told the man's best friend, a life-long companion. The man swore to avenge his friend. He has been hunting me for the last forty-six years. And today he will find me if I do not leave."

Ruby says, "I don't understand, who is this man and why would he find you today, of all days?" Gonzales says, "Ruby, the American wizard who I killed that day was named Andrew Dawson. His best friend was James Parker, your grandmother's current husband. He arrived in Alexandria yesterday, and will be coming to Zakazik today. He contacted me five weeks ago. He was grateful for what I had done in June, rescuing both you and Mrs. Parker from that vampire Colin Turner. But he also told me of his quest to avenge his friend.

He said that because of what I had done to help you two he would not travel to Arizona to kill me, but that if our paths ever crossed again he would do so, to honor the promise to his friend. He also forbade me from ever contacting either you or your grandmother again. I have clearly now violated that agreement." Ruby felt a lump in her throat while simultaneously her heart started pounding. "Well, not that I don't love him, but he doesn't get to make that decision for me. No one can tell me who to see or what to do. I love you Mr. G and I'm not going to let him hurt you. There has to be something that can be done."

Gonzales releases he hands and says "Ruby, darling Ruby, I love you as though you were my own child. And it is because of that level of love that I had adhered to his wishes. I understand his vow, I made the same vow, to my children who were killed by the current President of Mexico. I swore to avenge their deaths, and very soon will be in a position to do so. So I understand Parker's commitment. And if I were to face him, I would not fight back, so I would die. I would not fight back because of the damage I have already caused. Ruby, this man Andrew Dawson was more than just James Parker's best friend. Mr. Dawson was at that time also your grandmother Mina's fiance, they were engaged to be married. I took one husband from her, I will not take another."

"Oh, that's right. I knew his name sounded familiar." Ruby hung her head. "I am not going to say goodbye to you. You know that. I don't think any worse of you or of him knowing these things, I understand now how crazy it gets with all the fighting and wars and misunderstandings and rivalries. Things happen." Ruby took in a deep breath and looked hopeful. "Perhaps if I spoke to my grandmother, she is so understanding, she would understand that she wouldn't be with James if those events never occurred! Or I could talk to George, George is so good at figuring things out, I bet he could think of something. I love my grandmother and I would never give her up either but you are just as special to me as she is. I don't even know where I would be without your help and guidance."

Gonzales replies, "Oh no, Ruby, you must never tell her. I have caused her so much pain already, that would only exacerbate it, that is one reason why Mr. Parker forbade me to contact either of you. But Ruby, you still do not fully understand. Dawson was more than her fiance, he left her with child, your mother Alma. Ruby, I killed your grandfather." "Oh." Ruby looked down at the tablecloth, tugging at a loose thread. "Did you know that all this time?" He says, "No, I only found that out last month when Parker contacted me."

She inhaled deeply. "It's a strangely small world then, isn't it?" She let the breath out slowly. "You didn't know, you couldn't have known." From under her long lashes she looked up at him solemnly. "I will not say goodbye teacher. I refuse. I understand if you have to leave now but..." Tears started flowing down her cheeks. "I won't do it."

The woman sitting across from Ruby is also crying and sobs "Thank you. I truly do love you. I have been thinking about how differently your life would have been if I had done differently, if Mina had married her first love and raised Alma in that environment instead of with Mr. Hamilton. But then it would not have been your life, you are also the daughter of William West, who she probably would not have wed had she been raised differently. Ruby shivered at the thought, perhaps if the whole mess hadn't of happened, she would indeed not even be here. Mr. Gonzales had even more effect on her life than she could ever have imagined.

I understand your not saying goodbye. I just felt that I owed you an explanation before I left. And I am sorry about having to use this disguise, but Parker could arrive at any time. I wore this once before, back when it was still the Lone Star Dance Hall and Saloon that you were singing at, where wood elves were not welcome but I wanted to hear you sing." Ruby smiled wistfully. "That seems like forever ago, singing at the Lone Star. My first reputable job, then it became The Lucky Lady." She sighed. "How is everyone back home? I miss it there.

He says, "It has only been what? Less than two months since your last visit there. It is slowly changing. Von Zeppelin's factory is starting to make dirigibles for the United States military. From what you've seen here in the past week, they should revolutionize travel. In other news, a new school is being built, so Kate will get her house back. And a new street is going up on the north end of town. It will have the school on one end and a Dwarven brewery on the other. No small amount of jokes have been made regarding that combination."

Ruby burst out laughing. "Well, it certainly seems much longer than two months, it feels like two YEARS!! So much has happened. I suppose that's for the best, I don't like being bored. I am sure Kate is thrilled to get her own school rather than have to use her house. And a dwarven brewery, won't that be great!" Ruby paused a long moment, again picking at the thread. "Well I guess I was really wondering how all my friends are doing. Kate, is she well? She seemed good when she came to New York but I'm not sure she would have told me the truth at that time. It's almost time for her baby to be born, right? How about my friends at the Lucky Lady? Dorita? That's what I really miss."

Gonzales replies, "Kate is six months along, the baby won't be born until December. Actually, half of the women in town are expecting in December and January, thanks to that dance your Aphrodite priestess friend Jane did back in March during the festival. Chester has been doing a fine job as Marshall. The Lucky Lady is about the same as your recent visit. Darla Peacock George has taken on a greater managerial role, leaving the other owners time for their other jobs. According to Dorita Mrs. George is now pregnant too but does not know it yet."

Ruby laughed again, "Dorita would know! And shows you what I know about babies. I'm not sure I will miss Promise City getting taken over by all those crying babies. I guess Jane is probably pretty happy with that but I am definitely not a baby person." She scrunched up her nose. "Guess it's a good thing I left when I did! At least Kate won't be going out of business any time soon." "Did Chester ever marry that sweet naive girl, what was her name? They seemed like a good fit. And I never doubted Chester would be really good at that job."

Gonzales says, "Clarisse is still chasing him and dropping hints left and right. He continues to ignore her hints. I guess that they will both settle down a some point. If not, then the matchmaking Hannah Milford will intervene. She's been busy lately trying to fix up Harry Rote with every eligible woman in town." "Poor Harry!" Ruby chuckled, "Well maybe he's enjoying it. Wait, didn't he have a girlfriend in Tombstone? Or maybe that was someone else. That's right, Clarisse, a very sweet voice."

Ruby sat quietly, an awkward silence sitting there from who Ruby wasn't asking about. Ruby's teacher says, "I really should be leaving before the Parkers arrive. If you need to see me again I plan to stay around Cairo for a few more days visiting friends. Just leave a message for me at the telegraph office under this alias, I will check in periodically." Ruby sighed deeply. "And after that? Where will you be? You mentioned something about the," she whispered, "President of Mexico?" "What if I need you then? Who is going to swoop in and save me from trouble?"

Gonzales says, "That will not be for some time, not until next year at the soonest. Before I can take up that quest I still need to find an artifact hidden in the mountains near Promise City. But young Ginnie is now on that trail, with her level of persistence I am sure that it will be found soon enough." "Ah yes, Ginnie is certainly persistent and certainly finds ways to figure things out." Ruby stands and hugs Bea tightly. "I will miss you my teacher. Be careful and if you need me, for anything, well, you know how to find me. You always have." Ruby squeezes and doesn't let go for a long moment. "I love you." "And I you," the teacher replies.

With one final tight hug Ruby turned on her heel and exited the dining room, her eyes welling with tears. She wasn't sure she still wanted to go shopping, there was much to think on. She dabbed at her eyes with the cloth covering a nearby table, trying to pull herself together. She straightened up and took some deep breaths to calm herself. Returning to her suite of rooms, a servant girl asks Ruby if there is anything she can do for her. "No thank you, just let me know if anyone is looking for me." Ruby plopped down on a chair, gazing out the window, lost in her thoughts.

Note: Many of the references in this chapter are to the four-module Wild West RPG that preceded the AGELESS campaign. Those Story Hours are also posted here as Campaign Journals and I will bump them to the front page to make them easier to find. Taking place during January to June 1882, in chronological order they are titled "Revenge, Renewal and the Promise of a New Year"; "Wizards, Whiskey and Wonderful Things"; "Here there be Vampires"; & "Ballots and Bullets". Much of the latter part of the final module takes place in upstate New York with Ruby, George, Mina and Nanuet as main characters, and serves as the prelude to this campaign.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 128, "The Concert", September 13, 1882, 6:30 PM.

Callum asks, "So, are you looking forward to the concert? Are you familiar with any of his works?" Abby replies, "I'm not, sadly. I love music, but I'm mostly familiar with the music from home. New Orleans has such a rich tradition of it's own. But I'm looking forward to hearing something new. And I've rarely had the chance to hear large ensembles like this." They soon approach the site of the prior Paris World's Fair. The massive two-towered building where the concert will take place is awe-inspiring.

Abby silently watched as they approached the building. She reminded herself that the Parisians attending this concert probably thought very little of the grandeur of the building. "Hmm. I think they were compensating for something," she finally said, dryly. He laughs "Famous last words. You may regret uttering them, given the fact that the host of the next World's Fair in 1884 is the city of New Orleans, Louisiana. Let's see how extravagant they'll be! Despite the grandeur of this building it actually turned out to be overshadowed at the fair by Bartholdi's statue of Lady Liberty, that giant statue that will be erected in New York Harbor in a few years. The torch and arm of that statue was displayed in '76 at your country's Centennial Exposition in New York. Well for the '78 World's Fair here in Paris they had completed the head, neck and upper chest of the statue which was put on display."

She waved her hand carelessly. "Well really, how does one compete with the disembodied upper torso of a gigantic woman? I'm sure N'awlins will have nothing like it. We do everything extravagantly, darlin'," she said, her full New Orleans accent on display. "It's the only way to live." "I agree," he says. "Although you are actually right about this hall. I doubt that tonight's concert will fill even one-tenth of the seating capacity." "It was made for an event that would hold those numbers of people," she said, not bothering to suppress her accent anymore. "But it would have been wise of the architects and engineers to design the building so it could be modified after the fair to contain several smaller theaters that would be of more use to the city in the future." Cal replies, "Not everybody looks beyond tomorrow."

They exit the carriage at the main entrance and proceed to the concert hall. Callum pays in cash for their admission and they enter the grand building. A clock near the entrance way indicates that the performance will begin in another thirty minutes. They find seats near the front center. Callum's estimate appears to be accurate, as only one seat in twelve look to be occupied. "Well, we won't have to worry about being crowded," Abby said as they settled in. She took a look around the crowd. One of the reasons Cal had wanted to come tonight was to be seen supporting the arts in Paris, and she was curious as to how noticed he actually was here in Paris.

Based upon the number of looks that his attire is receiving he has indeed been noticed. The two front rows appear to be filled with the current aristocracy of Paris. The 45-piece orchestra head out from the side of the stage and begin to take their places. The string sections begins to warm up. Abby dropped her voice now, not feeling the need to be overheard by the current aristocracy of Paris. "Your Scottish pride does seem to have done the trick. Are you usually much noticed in Paris? Would the local gossip columns be happy to have an item about you in them?"

He says, "They wrote about me a little when I first arrived, but after that I became old news. I'm not all that flashy, although more so than either of my cousins, plus neither of them have the last name of Stuart. People around here do still remember when the family hosted Queen Victoria, even though that was ages ago." "Considering what your profession has been, that was probably a good thing. You know, I've studied the lives of Kings and Queens and noblemen, but I suppose I still can't really imagine what it's like. I'm sorry if I've been asking questions as if you were a case study," she chuckled. "My own life is just so different from what yours must have been. So enough of that. Is music something you enjoy for its own sake?"

He replies, "I do, and I met Jacques Offenbach three years ago, when his final opera, Tales of Hoffman, was performed here. He was quite popular in this city and is deeply missed. They initially did a multi-day tribute performance for him last year, each night featuring different operettas and ballets. Tonight's performance is actually a sampling of his full range of work, including some of his earlier cello compositions. He began his career as a concert cellist." Abby says, "I do love an opera. I haven't seen one in years. And cello is such a gorgeous instrument. I've always preferred the lower-toned instruments; cello, French horn, bass. I'm curious to hear the cello pieces."

Cal says, "The operetta, a short-form opera, was practically invented by him. He was an interesting man. He totally opposed the notion that musicians should also study magic, feeling that bards were essentially cheaters, using spells to supplement deficiencies in their musical ability. He felt that a true artist would be able to stand on their own without needing to tap into the energies of ley-lines of the world. That meant he was not a friend of those wizards we met in Egypt, which also makes it safe for us to be here tonight without fear that the Empress and her new husband will see us."

Abby says, "I don't know that I would call it cheating. Although I do agree that a musician should strive for the very greatest excellence they can achieve without magic. After that, a bit of magic here and there and enhance an experience is no harm. But music has its own magic; we have to be careful not to obscure that. I hadn't considered being seen by the Empress... But of course I was not hiding my identity either." Callum says, "I am not overly concerned. She and Duruy both thought me to be a French Foreign Legion solider, essentially a lackey, so would not have paid very much attention to me. Even if they see a picture of me here tonight I sincerely doubt they will make the connection. However, if they actually saw me here with you, that would be something else entirely. I've been careful in picking the places for our visits in the city."

Abby says, "If it weren't for my testimony against some of their people, I'd say they wouldn't have paid much attention to me, either. Mrs. Parker and Mr. Eastman are the well-known ones, and Miss West... well, let's just say she has a manner that draws eyes. It all allows me to keep to the shadows when it might be to my benefit. It's nice to draw a few eyes myself now and then, though," she said, glancing around the theater. "I'm surprised you were willing to let me come into the city shopping on my own." He says, "I doubt that the Empress goes shopping in those stores. The clothiers come to her." "I'm sure they do," she laughed. "Someday I'll retire back to America after some fantastic find and make the clothiers come to me, too."

"Do you know any of these people?" she asked, indicating the rows ahead of them. "You haven't spent much time here lately." He replies, "Personally, no, with one exception. But I do recognize many of them. You are currently in the company of two dukes, one count, one marquis, three viscounts, three barons, and nearly a dozen castellans. Among the non-nobles are dozens of wealthy businessmen of Paris and even more musicians of varying degrees of fame." She comments, "When the house is full of other musicians; that's when you know you're in for a good show."

A very exquisitely dressed Frenchman comes out on stage and the house lights dim. He gives a short biography of Offenbach, with a little more detail that Callum had explained earlier. He says that the works will be played in chronological order. The first piece is a Cello composition written in 1848 titled "Concerto Militaire in G". It is then followed by an orchestra piece featuring an excellent flute solo from 1851 titled "Le Joueur de Flute". The next piece she is familiar with, "Le barbier de Seville" from the 1852 French opera of the same name. The introduction explains that music from the play is primarily credited to the main songwriter Antonie-Laurent Baudron, although Offenbach assisted him and was the primary author of this specific piece. This composition runs for a good half-hour. The lights go back on and the first of two planned intermissions is announced.

Just as she had disappeared into books that afternoon, Abigail disappeared into the music. Anyone looking at her could see her rapt attention. Abby was moved not only by the beautiful music, but the obvious joy the musicians took in making it, even if it was not the boisterous happiness usually on display in New Orleans. Once the lights came up, she turned to Cal. "Care to stretch your legs? Or would you prefer to avoid the chance of conversations with the patrons?"

He replies, "What I want is irrelevant. I appear to have been spotted by that one 'exception' I cited earlier and he is heading this way. Photographers appear to be following him, so if you don't want to be in tomorrow's newspapers you may want to move away from me." Abby looks across the room and sees that a hefty man with a thin mustache and thick mutton chops is storming in their direction with a big smile on his face. He is wearing a wool military-style uniform festooned with medals, gold braid and a gold belt. She does not immediately recognize the country he is from. He has an entourage of six men with him, two in uniform and four in suits. A pair of men carrying cameras are indeed following.

"Oh, I AM curious... but it's probably better if I don't show up in the papers. At least not until after we're airborne again. I'll just go stretch my legs and come back in a few minutes." She moved nonchalantly away, hoping to find a nearby spot to listen from, but still wary of the cameras. From a short distance away she watches as the bear of the man approaches and loudly exclaims in French with a distinctly Russian accent "Cal! Wonderful to see you!" He then grabs Callum in a huge bear hug. The photographers instruct both men to "Hold that pose" as they set up their cameras and take pictures. Abby had to admit that a burly uniformed Russian hugging a Scotsman in a kilt was probably going to be the most interesting photograph from this evening.

She hears them exchange small talk, the Russian speaking of his four children, the youngest having been born in January. Callum tells him (and the reporters listening in) that his days have been spent primarily managing the Stuart family farm east of Paris. He says that the harvest will be coming in soon, but until then he thought he might have time for a night off to attend the concert. The Russian loudly exclaims, "And you still have not visited me! My bride and children have never had the chance to know you. I insist that you make a trip to Saint Petersburg before the year is done." "I may just do that," the Scotsman replies. The Russian kisses Callum on both cheeks and says, "I should go sit back down. It is wonderful to see you again my eternal friend!" The man, his entourage, and the photographers exit.

Abby waited a few minutes to return. She strolled through the theater, smiling a bit while she thought over the Russian's effusive greeting. The story would be forthcoming, but it was amusing to imagine how Cal had met that bear of a man and earned such affection. The few minutes alone gave her a chance to admire the architecture of the place. She had teased Cal earlier, but it really was a beautiful building, and well worth taking some time to examine. Once she felt enough time had passed to alleviate any suspicion that she had left to avoid meeting the big Russian, she headed back over to her seat.

The lights flicker, indicating that the intermission is coming to a close. Callum has been talking to people seated near them, who had not been inclined to talk to him prior to the Russian's visit but now seem interested in him. Abby gave them a slight smile and a nod as she took her seat. "I'm glad you haven't been lonely while I've been gone," she said quietly. "You will tell me all about how you met that man later, I hope. I've been having a look at the theater, it's quite lovely." "Yes to both," is his reply.

The second portion of the show begins with a female vocalist singing the 1852 song "Les Voix Mysterieuses". This is followed by a 1954 piano dance piece titled "Decameron Dramatique", which originally comprised ten separate pieces of which three are played. Next is a ballet piece titled "La Belle Helene" which he co-wrote in 1855 with composer Louis Aubert, during which ballet dancers take the stage.

This portion of the show is then concluded with a one-act operetta from 1856 titled "La Rose de Saint-Flour". In the introduction it is stated that Offenbach was the king of the operetta, short one and two act operas, and that in his lifetime he composed and produced over one-hundred of them, of which this was his twentieth. The play features three main actor/singers, a female soprano whose character is named Pierrette, a male baritone plays a cobbler named Chapailloux and a male tenor plays a coppersmith named Marcachu. The operetta includes considerable dancing in its eight scenes. The plot is rather simplistic, comprised of the two men competing for Pierrette's affections, with them each replacing her broken cooking pot as well as other gifts.

As the lights came up for the second intermission, Abby leaned over to Cal. "I didn't expect to see a whole operetta tonight!" she said excitedly. "Truly, this has been far more than I expected. Thank you for bringing me. The music and dancing have been superb." He says, "Offenbach was well loved here in Paris. For his memorial concerts the entire hall was filled every night. While this tribute is less well attended, the people here are here for the right reasons. I am glad that we were in town when this took place, an unexpected surprise. And the best is probably yet to come, as he is best known for this later works. I am curious what they have selected from the last quarter-century of his life."

"So am I," she smiled. "It's going to be ridiculously late by the time we get back to the farm. Not that I have anything to be up for in the morning. Tomorrow evening it's back to reality." He replies, "Not that late. This performance may have started at what would be considered the regular theater time in New York or London, however in Paris shows and concerts normally begin a few hours later. This was earlier due to the planned length, which is most-likely what suppressed the attendance.

But yes, we are no rush to awaken tomorrow since we will not be departing until after sunset. However, I do want to leave sufficient time to show you what we have in the adjacent barn." "You know, to an innocent American like me, showing a girl something in the barn means something completely different," she smirked. He smiles and says, "Who is to say which meaning I had?" "Well, aren't we cheeky today," she laughed. "I'm sure I'll be thrilled to see whatever it is you want to show me."

After a few moments she asked, "So, why the photographers with your friend?" Cal says, "Who? You mean the Grand Duke Vladimir? Probably because his brother Alexander is the Czar of Russia." She waved her hand carelessly. "Oh, that would explain that, then. How did you happen to meet a member of the Russian royal family? And make him like you so much?" Callum casually says, "I saved the life of his father, Czar Alexander II. Possibly Vladimir's life as well as they were together. They were with the French Emperor Napoleon III, so he also might have been killed. I was ten years old at the time."

Abby says, "I think I've lost the capacity to be surprised when you drop that kind of thing. You aren't going to just leave it there, are you? Details, man!" Callum answers, "On June 6, 1867 here in Paris, there was an assassination attempt against the Czar. It was in all the papers. The start of the 1867 World's Fair in Paris was marred by a Polish nobleman named Antoni Berezovsky's pointing a double barreled pistol at open carriage that the Czar, his son, and the French Emperor were riding in. The official story is that the gun malfunctioned and blew up in the assassin's hands. The Czar's son Vlad was the only one who saw what really happened, that the gun exploded after being hit by a magic missile spell thrown by a young Scottish boy in the next carriage."

Abby says, "He obviously made an effort to find you, and keep in touch with you after all these years. So while I'm sure he's grateful, he must just flat out like you as well." Cal replies, "He approached me immediately after it happened, astutely deducing that his bringing attention to what I had done would cause great embarrassment to my family given the attitude towards wizard magic in the British Isles. Vlad and I have been good friends since then, and often timed our visits to Paris to coincide. In many ways he's like the older brother I never had. He introduced me to many 'firsts' in my life, although with Paris as the backdrop, that isn't necessarily hard to do. I will say this, that day had a very profound influence on my life. I would not be here now, or in my profession for the past several years, had it not been for what happened then."

She asks, "Will you really go to St. Petersburgh at some point?" He replies, "I really should. I visited there once with my father when I was twelve and Vlad was twenty-two. I met Vlad's brother then, although he didn't become the Czar until their father was killed early last year. nfortunately due to my father's presence that trip was far more formal that I would have liked it to be. I have not made it back there since, my work always interfered. would truly love to meet his family. He has written me and sent photographs, but I would like to meet them in person. I guess it's time for me to finally learn Russian, I never had to before as the adult Romanovs all speak fluent French."

Abby says, "Well, as I like you just the way you are, I suppose I owe him a debt. It seems like your father's presence brings down a lot of things that would be fun otherwise. Your work won't be in a position to interfere now, or at least you're in a position to choose work that will let you get there soon. Maybe I'll learn the Russian with you. It's been a while since I picked up a new language, I'm probably getting rusty."

He says, "That would be wonderful, although winter is by far not the best time of year to visit Russia. Napoleon Bonaparte discovered that. Perhaps next summer." "Yes, after a winter visit to Russia you could start a land war in Asia. That always goes well." Abby shivered comically. "Ugh, winter. I do not do winter. I love that my work keeps me away from winter." He says, "Mary Stuart felt the same way, which is why she also had the estate on the sea to the south." "A wise woman," she said. "An estate by the sea sounds infinitely preferable to a cabin knee-deep in snow. Of course, I haven't actually experienced it... maybe I'd change my mind if I did." He replies, "Knee deep snow is something you only have to experience once. fter the first minute it gets old." "And cold, I imagine," she finished drily.

DM's Note: Callum will indeed visit St. Petersburg later in the year as he was later used as a playing character in a Sidewinder Recoiled game set there in December 1882.

Patrons have now all returned to their seats as the orchestra takes their places on the stage and the house lights dim for the final act. Abby sat back, ready for the final part of the night's performance. The final act begins with his 1863 single act operetta "Il signor Fagotto". It is a story of story of a father outwitted and true love winning, and contains a variety of musical styles. It has six singer/actors consisting of three sopranos, one tenor and two baritones. The characters in the story itself are all classical musicians, and their performances include instrument solos in addition to the traditional singing.

The second piece is third of the four acts from the 1864 romantic opera "Die Rheinnixen". This is by far the lightest and most imaginative of the four acts, as the other three have war and tragedy as their themes to emphasize the romance, whereas this act has elves and woodland spirits helping the couple. Next is a piano piece from 1873 titled "Souvenir d'Aix-les-Bains." The final piece is the second and final act from one of his last operettas "La fille du tambour-major" from 1879. It was one of his most successful pieces, having run for 240 performances. In this act the character Stella falls in love with Robert, but her father has promised her hand to a feeble-minded old marquis, Bambini. However, Lieutenant Robert receives the news that Stella is the daughter, not of the duke, but of a French drum-major. The music is exquisite. "Ahh, l'amour. Always so much drama," Abby sighed.

She then adds, "Wonderful for a story, but not so much for real life. I prefer the course of my romances to run a bit more smoothly." Callum says, "I can tell, let's take a look at your current romance shall we? Magically impersonating French actresses, magically flying alone across a desert, swimming towards danger after having your boat magically overturned, escaping from the King's prison, riding horses into palaces under attack, fighting a Viking warrior maiden who transforms into a dragon, boarding enemy ships, blowing up dirigibles, standing in the middle of a battlefield, and taking rides on flying carpets going faster than anything should travel. Is that what you would define as going smoothly?"

Abby says, "Bah, none of that had anything to do with my romance. At no point did someone interpose themselves and tell me who I could or could not love, nor did some arrogant upstart try to steal me away or buy me from my family for a sack of grain and a mule. When some random woman tries to drown me so she can steal my love I'll consider the romance as not going smoothly." He say, "Given everything else in your life as of late, that would be tame by comparison."

Callum comments, "So, on the subject of romance, do you have anybody particular in mind?" "Hmmm," she shrugged. "I've been a little busy for that kind of thing. But I do seem to have a soft spot for a man in a kilt." He replies, "Then I should point you out to my cousin Charles, as he was wearing one today. Although he might be a little old for you." She says, "And he wears overalls. I can't bear a man in overalls," she teased. "Know anyone who wears a kilt and can fly a dirigible?" With a smile he says, "I will have to give that one some thought."

The cast of the performances come out for the curtain call. They are brought out in the order of the performances and are introduced by name as well as their association with Jacques Offenbach being mentioned. Approximately half are mentioned as being the original artist when the piece was initially performed. "So many of the original performers... No wonder it was so excellent," Abby said. "It was worth the long trip." "It was indeed," Callum states.

As the concert ends Callum gestures across the room to the crowds who have now gathered around his friend. He says, "My friend the Prince, correction, Grand Duke, seems to have admirers. Actually, I think the Russian's have something there, the title 'Prince' sounds far more dainty, whereas 'Grand Duke' is very masculine." "It's a good thing you're only going to be a Sir, then. Prince is an impressive enough title for most people," she laughed. "People will faun all over a Prince. Perhaps the advantage is that people keep their fawning a little more dignified with a Grand Duke."

He says, "Well, I am very glad that we came here. The performance was excellent. But there is no reason for us to stay around. That photograph in the papers will be sufficient for my task. Do you want to go somewhere for a bite to eat or would you rather just head back to the castle. Abby replies, "We didn't eat before we left, so it's been since lunch since I ate, and I have no idea if you've had anything since breakfast. I'd say some food is in order." He answers, "Dinner it is then" . They are among the first to depart the elaborate building and start to make their way down the long driveway to the rows of waiting carriages. Callum asks, "So, what do you fell like this evening? We're dressed for anywhere in the city, fancy or otherwise."

Abby replies, "If you think you've satisfied the need to be seen, why don't we go somewhere more casual? My favorite part of a city is almost always just immersing myself in its every day places. But if you have another idea I'm willing to hear it. There is something to be said for hitting the highlights, too." He replies, "I know of a place that might fit the bill for that. It's in the neighborhood where we dropped Maracita off. How is your Spanish? They do speak fluent French there, but Spanish is the preferred language of the establishment." "My Spanish is pretty poor. Its pretty commonly spoken back home, so I've picked up some, but it's rudimentary at best. Which should in no way put us off," she smiled.

He says, "Very good, that's the spirit. And I hope that you enjoy Spanish food. And by that I don't mean the food from Central America and South America that has been influenced by Spain, I mean the food served in the finest restaurants in Barcelona and Madrid." "I haven't the faintest idea, but I'm game. I've rarely met a plate of food I didn't like," she said, leading him away from the theater and toward the carriage.

They are about three-quarters of the way back to the waiting line of parked carriages when a man comes up beside Callum and says softly in French, but loud enough for both to hear: "Mr. Stuart, my employers would like to speak to you and the young lady. Please do not do anything other than accompany me. They do not wish either of you any harm. However, if you do not come with me there are a quartet of armed men who are following that will bring you both considerable harm."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 129, "Round Three: Once More with the British Army", September 13, 1882, 10:15 AM.

George Eastman states in a gracious and conciliatory tone "Ok, gentlemen. You have had some tea and a break. Hopefully we can begin the negotiations again. Forgive my rashness General Woolsley, I spoke with some passion and not in a manner befitting my role nor towards a common solution nor with proper respect for you or your rank and position. My deepest apologies. Now, perhaps you would care to begin by laying out your concerns and desires."

Woolsley says, "Our concerns are a peaceful and stable Egypt, one that recognizes the obligations that it has committed to during the past several decades and is willing to abide by them. The current Monarch's father was of that mind and we would hope that the current one is. Based upon your introductory pronouncement I fear that the Queen's new husband may have tainted her viewpoint to his. If that is the case then I fear that we may have reached a serious point of disagreement in these talks."

George states "A peaceful, stable AND prosperous Egypt is all that the Pharaoh wishes as well. As for previous agreements, well that becomes a bit of an issue. Britain has by no means held to its own obligations. The Amiens Treaty, The Treaty of Limerick, The Treaty of Waitangi, and of course the entire issue with the Treaty of Nanking, which while not broken were so one sided as to precipitate a second war. So if the British government doesn't see fit to abide by the obligations it committed to, why should the Egyptians be any different?

As to the Queen's viewpoint, I seriously doubt that General Orabi influenced her decisions in the very short time they were together before they, like General Drury-Lowe, were kidnapped and held in an unconscious state. However, I am open to hearing some solution that would appease you." General Wolseley says, "The solution is simple. Great Britain will maintain the canal, which should relieve the Queen of that burden so that she can concentrate on her country."

"Simple? As simple as British forces leaving the country actually. But at no time did I ever say that Egypt or the Queen would be burdened by maintaining the canal. So your jump in logic is a bit fallacious there. My question pertained to your concerns over Orabi's influence on the Queen, to that end your response failed to address." replies George. Woolsley responds, "Sir, if the decisions that she makes exactly mirror those that General Orabi previously called for then the impact of his influence on her will be rather obvious."

"Would you agreeing with me mean that I have unduly influenced you General? I think you are confusing causation and correlation. It is equally likely that the Queen has influenced General Orabi and so it is he who is mirroring her demands." Woolsley interrupts and exclaims. "No sir, which simply demonstrates how little you are aware of the current situation. Those were Orabi's demands four months ago!"

George smiles patiently. "Again general. It is not unreasonable to think that the princess, pardon, Queen, came to the same or similar ideas on her own. If you doubt that, you gravely underestimate the new ruler of Egypt. She is the Victoria of Egypt I assure you, quite clever and capable on her own. And a woman of her own mind. As for the current situation, if you will remember sir, that the marriage was arranged, and the ceremony occurred, and I should know for I was there, but a few days before they were both kidnapped. Much of that time they were apart. If you think that in that short a time, Orabi completely convinced the Queen to abandon all her preexisting thoughts and adopt his, well then sir you are underestimating the Queen's abilities."

Goerge continues, "In doing so you are also calling into question her intelligence, and that sir is not to be tolerated in any country. And the line to defend the honor of the Queen and challenge you for such a slur is quite long and starts behind me" finishes George with a chilled tone. "Did Prince Albert have Victoria speaking German a week after he married her? Did he have her eating sauerbraten for tea? No, he did not. So do not besmirch the will, independence or faithfulness to this country of this Queen."

When George makes the 'challenge' and 'slur' comments the poker-face that Wolseley had worn until this point shatters. As soon as George pauses next Woolsley interjects, "Sir, I would never show disrespect to a fine monarch as Queen Neferka. That was clearly not my intent, and if I said anything in the passion of the moment which implied that I most humbly apologize. We wish nothing for Queen Neferka other than a long an successful reign."

George smiled inwardly, he had gotten the desired reaction from Woolseley. "If you do wish for a long and successful reign of the Queen, why then are you so dead set on intruding and interfering in it? A Sovereign is by definition, sovereign, and thus can be beholden to no one. Any attempt to destabilized her divine right to rule as sole and absolute monarch, will be treated as sedition, treason or an act of war. No more or less than the same act would be treated if it occurred in Sussex and was directed at Queen Victoria. I hope I make myself clear General Woolsley. I am glad to hear you bear personal and national respect for the Pharaoh. But it must be more than lip service. I do not think you understand the significance of the appearance of Bast upon the battlefield yesterday. To have a deity appear, in the name of, and in support of, the Pharaoh, well, you don't want to wake up covered in scarabs do you? I certainly don't and so I will do that which She has charged me with."

Woolsley remains absolutely silent after this exchange, clearly having no intention or desire to revisit this particular topic. George continues "In any case, all you have been offering me are potential concerns and no realistic or viable solutions. And most of your assumptions are based upon faulty logic. I know it is not you sir, I know you to be an intelligent man, a gentleman, a man of high moral character and honor. So I have to assume these illogical requests come from London and Gladstone. But please sir, serve your conscience and duty to humanity, find a solution that appeases your soul, not the greed of Gladstone." Woolsley states, "Sir, I have complete authority to negotiate an agreement for the Crown. I have no need to contact the Prime Minister."

"Oh, I understand the full authority granted to men in your position. Nor am I implying that you need to contact the Prime Minister. Rather I am suggesting that the Prime Minister was explicit in his instructions and guidance to you before you left. To protect the plutocrats of London, the bankers. To make decisions to further the interests of the Banks, to place money first, rather than the safety and security of your forces, before the interests of the British people, before the good of the Empire and the Commonwealth, and certainly before your own ethics as a gentleman and an officer. So, General, you have heard my proposals, but I have heard nothing from you in the form of a concrete suggestion, a practical resolution. What would you see done?" asks George.

Woolsely states, "The safety and security of the British forces and the people of Great Britain are my primary concern. Our forces in India, Australia, New Zealand, as well as southern and southeastern Africa would all be at risk without continuous passage through the canal. To that end we must protect that waterway. By maintaining bases for British ships in Alexandria, Port Said and Suez that can be accomplished. We have heard that Queen Neferka will be declaring the canal off-limits to France and other nations that possess plundered Egyptian artifacts. In this effort we can be of great assistance to her, being able to enforce her decrees as to the access to the waterway.

And we can also help with her own internal security. She may have pacified Orabi, however his example has now been witnessed by all of the officers of his army. There is nothing to stop one of them from mounting another revolt. Having our forces nearby, to compliment her own forces , would help suppress thoughts among those men of revolution. Is it not better sir, to prevent a war from ever occurring than to have to fight for peace once one has started?"

"I appreciate the offer to aid in the patrol of the canal, but Egypt is fully capable of providing its own security for the canal. No ship shall pass those waters without the knowledge and consent of the Egyptian forces, I assure you. And I doubt that a French vessel of any kind will be able to pass through for a decade or more." adds George with a small grin. "The issue of internal security is just that General, internal. It is an Egyptian concern, an Egyptian problem, and an Egyptian solution has already been tendered. Again though I thank you for your kind and generous offer of assistance.

You are right, it is better to prevent war from occurring. However, you do not understand the Egyptian mind. Did you ever meet Ambassador Burton? I had the privilege once to speak with him. There was a man who understood the minds of people in other cultures. It is a rare gift General, one I myself wish I had in greater abundance. Let me assure you however, your fear of other officers mounting another revolt will not happen. Well, I can think of one instance. If your forces stay, then yes, I can see another revolt coming. But, since you and your forces are leaving, it will not be an issue." George issues this last statement with some emphasis, as though it were a foregone conclusion.

"As to the safety and security of British troops. The Queen is grateful that you stood by her father, whatever the true reason for your support. Because of that the Queen is willing to allow the continued use of the canal by all British Naval vessels at the discounted rate for a period of ten years. British military vessels will also be given preferential refueling privileges in Egyptian ports for the same time period. All other vessels, regardless of flag, will pay the full rate. This will ensure that Egypt is able to pay back those generous financiers who loaned the initial capital to fund the construction of the canal. Paying off the loans, will ensure that English bankers earn back their principle, plus some interest, and at a reasonable time frame, but also ensures a stable, and peaceful Egypt. Which after all, if what your stated goal was General Woolsely. By guaranteeing military access to the canal and at a reduced rate, the British Empire is assured of its ability to quickly access all parts of its thriving Empire. The gracious offer by the Queen to allow refueling of British ships will also ensure the safety of your men as they will have a safe port at which to load coal and bring on fresh water for the boilers.

There now General, I think I have covered all of your concerns. A way for the banks to be re-paid. The safety of your men and vessels. Ensuring a long and prosperous reign of Queen Neferka in a stable Egypt. Rapid access to the Indian Ocean for vessels willing to pay the standard rate, excepting British military vessels of course. We must make sure you can put down the next Afghan, Maori or Boer kerfuffle." adds George. George takes a sip of water and looks expectantly at the three generals, holding his gaze a little longer on Drury-Lowe to see if he gives any small signal regarding the proposal.

General Wolseley replies, "Well, I think that we have the beginnings of an agreement here sir. However, despite verbal or written assurances, the British banks would be unwilling to have us completely walk away from their interests. And I for one, would want to see clear evidence that Egypt can indeed enforce the Queen's canal policies. I am certain that she feels she can protect it, however the German, Belgian, French, Portuguese, or even the United States Navy may think otherwise if she denies them access to the canal. I would propose that Great Britain maintain a naval base in Alexandria in order to display a very visible show of support for the new Egyptian monarch."

George replies, "As of this moment, only the French are denied access to the canal. It is in everyone's interest to abide by the conditions of access that will be enforced by the Egyptian Canal Authority. The Ottoman Empire has also given us assurances of additional naval support to maintain the canal solely under Egyptian authority. So as you see General, there is no need for a British base in Egypt. The Ottomans are particularly interested in ensuring that the British make no incursions into the eastern Mediterranean. Therefore aside from the Egyptian desire to have no foreign military bases, we cannot permit one on our soil as it would be seen as an escalating act between the British and Ottoman Empires, with Egypt in the middle, a position, we do not desire.

Lastly, the British Banks. Last I knew sir, you served the Queen, not bankers. I understand your previously stated position regarding the stability of the banks. However, this plan of actually charging ships to use the canal, allows the Egyptian government to actually pay off the usurious rates present in the contract, a contract that is so blatantly disastrous that I have to question what leverage or deception was used to force the King to sign it. In any case, the banks will this way get their principle and interest on time. You cannot rob Athena to pay Apollo after all General.

I am quite willing to renegotiate the terms of the contract with the bankers if they wish. I wonder when dealing with a man of business, how well they might try to pull off deception. However, there are three choices when it comes to the Canal General. A, the terms I have set forth; namely full rates for all ships with a ten-year exception for British military ships. B, a full renegotiation of the contract, with me on, behalf of the Egyptian government and all everything and all issues are on the table for that, not a revision, a new contract whole cloth. Or C, the Egyptian government declares the contract illegal, and seizes full control of the canal and the British bankers will have a very large write off for their depositors."

Woolsley replies "Mr. Eastman, we need to continue to work on your first proposal. The second could also be pursued, but would not be ideal. The third would be deemed unacceptable by both myself and my Queen. If we are to use the canal it would make sense for there to be a base in Egypt. Ships would need to be able to resupply before the long journey to follow. And to maintain the proper security, we would need to manage it. Perhaps some type of lease agreement could be negotiated. You proposed a ten-year time frame, that might be appropriate for the lease, provided there was a clear methodology and conditions for further extensions."

George replies "The first proposal is a good starting point. It makes economic sense for Egypt to receive a fair price, and ethical and legal for everyone to pay a fair price. British merchant ships will be able to dock and purchase coal and supplies as any other vessel will be able to. British military vessels will be given priority berthing in Port Said and Alexandria, and may lease a coal depot and supply warehouse in the port district that may be supplied with a limited military garrison in those two ports only. British naval vessels will further be able to use the Canal at the discounted rate. Those depots and the discounted rate will apply for a period of 10 years.

If the British Navy wishes to extend the lease of port support, discounted shipping rates and priority berthing when the 10 year period is up, the lease may be renewed by the Pharaoh at her discretion. There is no further need for any military presence by any foreign government in Egypt. The British Navy will be the only entity to have such an arrangement. That will provide the,....strategic advantage I think that you are seeking. It will also facilitate the reach of the British Empire into South Asia and East Asia which you desire. The small garrison that is permitted will provide the peace of mind for the British Empire that their necessary supplies are present and ready for a quick resupply. I think this addresses all of your concerns General." says George giving a glance over to Drury-Lowe for any kind of signal as to his disposition on it.

Drury-Lowe nods to the affirmative and then leans over and whispers something to General Woolsley. The General says, "I believe that we have a strong foundation for an agreement although I suspect that you and I may have differences in opinion as to what constitutes a small garrison. I will remind you that the British Fleet often travel in convoys of ten to fifteen ships for long voyages, all of which would need simultaneous berthing facilities, security and the ability to be resupplied as quickly as possible. General Drury-Lowe has suggested that you and I both takes some time now to consider that, and hopefully my minimum requirements and your maximum requirements will not be that far apart."

"I think that a moment to contemplate would be well warranted. Let us take a recess for a while. Then we can work out specific logistics. As to berthing, with actual revenue being generated from the Canal, not only can the loan be repaid on time, but upgrades and expansion of those ports can be funded to ensure adequate facilities for all vessels." replies George who stands and signals the guards that they stand in recess.

George heads over to the side board for a glass of water. He finishes it as the British delegation leaves. After the door closes he heads back to Amisi and Hassan. "Well this is going better than I had hoped. We will need you to get the rebels on board to patrol the canal Hassan to pull this off. I think maybe we need a public ceremony from all the rebels and their commanders to swear allegiance to Neferka in the name of Bast. I think that will help legitimize them a bit. Of course, we should weed out everyone who is untrustworthy, but I bet this deal will re-establish faith in the monarchy for nearly all of them."

Colonel Hassan says, "I agree. I suspect that the British will want to retain the footprint of the current base that they have established in Alexandria as their garrison. If we are flexible on that point, and focus instead on reducing the compliment of people stationed there, I believe that we will be able to come to an understanding. As they have not had time yet to build anything at either Port Said or the town of Suez they will not be as inflexible about those locations. If we are to have the former rebels there it might be better to keep the British only in Alexandria rather than either of those other two communities. As to which rebels to retain, that will be a subject that I suspect General Orabi and I may have strong disagreements about. Personally, I would prefer that Orabi no longer command them at all."

George says, "Ahmed Orabi will no longer be a member of the military, not even an honorary position granted him by virtue of his marriage. He will still be required to swear allegiance along with his troops, but then he is a civilian. He gets no say in the matter. I want you to come up with a list of all commissioned officers you want to keep from the rebel garrisons. We will put a royalist general in charge of the entire force, but Orabi gets no say. I think if we keep the NCOs we will maintain the loyalty of the rank and file we do keep.

As you suggested we will start out with a smaller force of the rebels. Any one not retained for that can be eligible for re-enlisting, with loss of all rank, and subject to inquiry for suitability based on past records. These men should be integrated into the main army, not the canal force. I am sure most of the men were simply following orders and so it is the officers we need to pare down the most. In fact, would you like to head the force? Full latitude on who you get to keep and I know you would keep dissent down and I need someone out there who can get the port working at full steam and enforce the new full rates. Think about it Hassan.

As to forces, I think you have something there. Letting them keep the size, but restricting manpower will be good, I want to prevent a build up of potential there. That will work well as their main resupply area. With the current footprint, they may have enough slips to house what they need. Maybe Said can be an over-flow station. Of course if we restrict them to say a small garrison of 50 men of so there, I don't think they would bother the rebels much." smirks George.

"And you Princess, how are you following these discussions? Any questions or concerns?" She acts startled at being asked for her opinion. She states, "My command of your language is not very good and those men spoke it differently that you Mr. Eastman. I was following along as the scribe wrote. You appear to have the situation well in hand." Colonel Hassan says, "Well, let us hope that your sister feels the same way. We should go update the Queen as to our progress."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 130, "Kidnapped", September 13, 1882, 10:00 PM.

A man has come up beside Callum and Abigail and says softly in French, but loud enough for both to hear: "Mr. Stuart, my employers would like to speak to you and the young lady. Please do not do anything other than accompany me. They do not wish either of you any harm. However, if you do not come with me there are a quartet of armed men who are following that will bring you both considerable harm."

Abigail’s mind immediately began calculating. What are my assets? Not armed. Still have a sharp pen in my pocket, hard-heeled shoes. Comb in hair sharp enough to scratch deeply but not seriously hurt someone. From the sound of his voice, where exactly is his nose? What’s the necessary angle to crush it with an elbow? A fist? Where are his feet? Toes or feet can be broken with a heel strike. How tall is he? Backward kick to the groin? Unlikely to hit home. Spin and kick in his knee from the side? Is he armed; can I get it from him? Is he lying about the others?

What do they want? Interrogation? Recruitment? Threats? Blackmail? The employers aren’t concerned about committing an open assassination of a well-known person. In a crowd. All these calculations and questions passed through her mind in a fraction of a second. Outwardly, Cal could feel the sudden coiled tension of her muscles, the subtle shift of her weight onto the balls of her feet. The soft sigh of her quickened breath passed her lips.

All this she held in check. Her every instinct was screaming at her to take the threat down. But they had chosen their moment well. And Cal had every right to survive into the next moments. Prevented from lashing out with her fists, her next instinct was to run her mouth. An instinct which she also ruthlessly crushed, and the effort of it and the feeling of helplessness were beginning to fuel a very ugly anger. The voice that came out was sweet as honey, but her accent was thick and dark beneath it. “You’re always so in demand, Mr. Stuart. I suppose I’m not so faint with hunger that I can’t spare a few moments.”

Callum says to the man, "Very well. But to establish the veracity of your statements I am going to slowly turn my head in ten seconds to see if that quartet actually exists. If your employers truly wish to speak with us they will probably be very cross if you shoot me just for moving my head." Callum turns his back, then forward again and says, "All right, they are there. Lead on MacDuff."

Abby kept her stride casual, holding onto Cal's arm just as she had been, and moving as if absolutely nothing was wrong. It was just as likely that nothing WAS. They were probably about to have an unpleasant interview with someone who didn't like what they'd done, perhaps trying to get some information out of them. What they would do if they didn't get what they wanted... Well, her original instinct could come into play yet. They are led away from the large gathering of carriages waiting for the concert goers to return and towards a main street off from that.

One of the men further back comes up quickly to a point beside Abby and says, "Careful Andre, he has a knife in his sock." Callum interjects, "It's not a knife, it is a sgian-dubh, an important part of the official Scottish regalia. It is not concealed at all, but worn to highlight the costume, essentially a decoration. And if you people honestly think that I can disable five men using an ornamental blade the size of your thumb then you have greatly overestimated my abilities." The man addressed as Andre says, "It's fine Marcel, we'll remove it in the carriage."

The man identified as Marcel continues to walk beside Abby rather than falling back with the other three. Marcel. That was a name to note. He did not underestimate her either. Underestimation was something that could be taken advantage of, but so was overestimation. She gave no outward hint of having noticed the man at all. But her grip on Cal's arm tightened slightly. Not from fear, but the effort to appear calm rather than angry had to be shown somewhere.

Marcel speaks up again and says, "He's wearing a leather pouch on the front of his belt. It could have a gun inside it. Hand it over." Callum lets a little bit of anger creep into his voice and says, "Marcel is it, you clearly know nothing about the official Scottish uniform. This pouch is called a sporran and all that it has inside it are money and cigars. My sporran is currently fastened to my belt. The only way I can 'hand it over' is by removing my belt, in which case my kilt would fall to the ground. As I am wearing nothing beneath my kilt, I believe that would attract far more attention than you would want."

"It would certainly attract my attention," Abby said drily. "And that of any woman with eyes." Andre says, "It's okay Marcel, we can check that in the carriage too." They turn and start to head directly towards one of the most elaborate carriages that Abby has ever seen. It is made of mahogany wood, with intricate carvings and gold inlay on the wood. The dark curtains over the windows are all drawn. A team of eight large black horses are hooked up to it. Callum says very, very softly so that only Abby can hear. "Damn. It's Daguerre's". She answered just as quietly, "Did a little too good job of being seen." He whispers back, "Ah well, in for a penny...."

Callum then speaks up and says, "I recognize that conveyance. So it will be Mr. Louis Jacques Daguerre who wishes to talk to us." The man named Andre says, "The woman knows better. And I am guessing that you do too." Abby thinks "And an underestimation from her companion." Although she supposed they had learned something by it. Well, she had survived Egypt, she would survive whatever awaited her in the carriage. Although if this Marcel tried to touch her, she wasn't sure he would.

They move closer to the vehicle. They reach the carriage and Andre opens the door. He gestures for Marcel to go in first. The man does, sitting on one bench of the carriage between two men seated inside in the darkness. Marcel says, "All set, I've got my gun out." Andre gestures for Callum and Abby to enter and sit on the bench opposite the other three. Callum goes in first, doing as instructed. Abby follows with Andre following and shutting the door. He sits beside Callum. The carriage only has the door on this side, the opposite side having shelves with bottles of alcohol and crystal glasses.

Abby looks at the two new men. She does not know the man seated to the left of Marcel, but the man on the right is Jean-Leon Gerome, who she last saw three days earlier swimming away from her in the Nile river. One arm is in a cast and sling. No Queen ever looked as stately as Abigail Elizabeth Marsters did, looking at the men who had requested their presence at gunpoint. It was not a superior or boastful attitude. It was the attitude of a woman who knew exactly who she was, and that she was not without power. Even if she secretly felt she absolutely was.

The carriage begins to move and now becomes illuminated with magical light so that the six occupants can see one another better. Andre has Marcel remove the short knife from Callum's sock. Andre leans over and opens the top of Callum's sporran, removing the contents which are comprised of a wad of paper money and the cigar case. He opens the case, just seeing two cigars inside. The items are returned to the Sporran.

Callum looks at both men, but then focuses his gaze on the one who Abby does not know and says, "If I am correct, you are Jean Bernard Leon Fouccault. You served as Mr. Daguerre's apprentice." The man replies "Yes, I was able to help improve his photographic techniques though my work. He also apprenticed me in the art of magic. You eluded me before Mr. Stuart, but I have you now." Abby recognizes the name. When they had arrived at Tanis to rescue the British archaeologists Henry Jones had referenced him as one of the four men that had been part of Prosper Merimee's team who had just left the Tanis ruins to return to Port Said.

Abby inwardly groaned as the carriage began moving. So this was not to be a simple unpleasant chat and then a return to their own business. It had never been very likely, but she had held out hope. The comment of having Cal now did not inspire any great confidence either. She wondered if she was here only because of her connection to Cal, or because of her connection to the AGELESS group. There was no reason it couldn't be both.

Callum acts surprisingly relaxed and says, "Well, my lady friend and I have spent the past four hours sitting inside a warm and dry concert hall and we are both parched. If we are going to be having a discussion we might as well do so like the gentlemen that we are." "You are quite correct sir," Fouccault states.

He folds down an attached tray that has a padded base and wide leather sides and them removes five glasses from their holders, placing them on the tray. Next he takes a decanter of cognac and pours it into the five glasses, passing them out to each occupant except for Marcel, who remains holding his revolver pointed at Callum. Abby took the offered drink and raised an eyebrow. She held it up as if toasting, then pretended to take a sip. Liquor on an empty stomach while under stress probably wasn't a good idea.

Callum says, "Where would you like to begin?" Fouccault says, "Tell me how you escaped from us in Tanis?" Callum laughs and says, "Good timing on my part. You attacked when I was answering the call of nature so I was a short distance off. I saw what was going on and opted to not become a part of it." "So you are a coward?" states Gerome. Callum replies, "I call it self-preservation." She huffed an amused little breath. Needles and barbs. Thankfully that kind of thing didn't bother Cal much. Anyone working as a spy had to value strategy and pragmatism over the appearance of heroism.

Foucccault turns his gaze towards Abby and says, "And you, I was told that you were present when the new Egyptian Queen decided to execute my mentor. What have you to say?" She shrugged almost imperceptibly. "I was present. I found the whole affair decidedly unpleasant." Gerome angrily interjects "And how did you contribute? We know that you were involved. You did far more damage in Egypt than only deciding to maim me." Abby says, "What damage I did or did not do is entirely dependent upon your point of view. I would say that my preventing the poisoning of the Royal Family prevented the cause of damage." "Poisoning? What are you talking about?" Fouccault asks.

Abigail's recounting was businesslike. "Surely you knew that Prosper Merimee was sending his apprentice and another actor to impersonate the shepherds and the Druidess of the Royal flock. Their mission was the poison the victory feast, setting Princess Neferka on the throne, who was to be used as a puppet ruler for the Weekly Wizards. I intervened. I don't approve of mass murder." Fouccault says, "Merimee wanted to kill the Egyptians? That cannot be true, he was only concerned with finding the gateway to Atlantis."

Callum says, "It was not his plan, it was YOUR mentors. You were not part of the conspiracy, if you had been you would now be dead, as the Goddess Bast identified all of those responsible and they were punished by the new Pharaoh. Be thankful that expulsion from Egypt was your only punishment, after having her father and brothers killed by your wizards group she could have taken out her punishment on all of you!" Gerome says, "That is absurd. We were there to help bring about peace. We were told to stop the shepherds to save them from the rebel leader Abdullah who wanted them dead. Clearly that shepherd leader was far more than she appeared to be, probably a royal in disguise, otherwise she would not now be the Egyptian Ambassador to France."

Abby says, "Sir, I think most of you believed that. Very few seemed to know the entirety of the plan.
There were also members of your group with Abdullah, whispering in his ear. He was to take the blame for the poisoning of the feast. The Shepherd leader was a powerful Druidess, and she is now the Egyptian Ambassador in reward for her service to the Pharaoh. I did not prevent the poisoning alone, after all."

Fouccault says, "Powerful indeed. She destroyed our home here in Paris. And rather than imprisoning her for attacking our city the ineffectual French Ruling Council has rewarded her and punished us. We are now barred from the building, what little of it remains, and they have accepted a petition from its previous owners to give it to them."

Callum says, "And what makes you think that the this Council did not see things for what they were? Your wizards group under the leadership of Chevruel and Dagurerre fatally attacked the Egyptian Royal Family. Are you so surprised that the new Pharaoh retaliated? It was not an assault against France or Paris, only against the very people who killed her family." Abby adds, "I do not see how the Ruling Council could have done otherwise. To mete out no punishment on French nationals who embarked on a such a thing with no sanction from the government? It would make them complicit."

Callum says to Fouccault "It looks as though you have come out ahead, based upon this fine carriage you are riding in. Daguerre was quite wealthy and is known to have had no spouse or legitimate children, so as his apprentice you appear to have inherited his estate." As Cal says this she notices Marcel's facial expression turns to anger and he starts to depress the trigger of the revolver pointed at Callum. Fouccault apparently also sees this and gently places his hand on the man's arm to steady or possibly deflect the bullet if the gun goes off.

Abigail grabbed Cal and pulled him down, then interposed herself between him and Marcel. Fouccault raises his voice slightly and says, "Everybody, calm down. Marcel, get control of your emotions. I am certain that Mr. Stuart meant no offense. He does not know who you are. Now, if you cannot handle yourself with that weapon I will give it to your cousin Andre." Marcel says, "I'm fine, I just didn't like what he was implying about my mother."

Andre helps Callum back up into the seat and explains, "Marcel and I are Louis Daguerre's grandsons. We were included in our Grandfather's will, although Marcel has not been rewarded as highly as he feels he deserves." Fouccault adds, "Yes, he inherited the family's original home in the suburb of Cormeilles-en-Parisis, a rather modest structure, but one that Louis felt great sentimental attachment to as it was where he was born."

Abigail settled herself again. These men at least seemed to have the sense not to attempt to touch her. "I'm sure no offense was meant, but it was insensitive. The relationship between a mentor and student can be like family. Doubtless what you've heard from us is distressing for all of you." Callum says, "Yes, I was insensitive. I apologize. In the future I will make an attempt to get kidnapped at gunpoint only after I have heard the kidnapper's full family history." His sarcasm does not sit well and Gerome says, "Do you take this as a joke?"

Callum says "No sir, there is nothing at all about this situation that I find funny. If you had asked me to join you in a restaurant for a conversation between gentlemen I would have. Instead you threaten myself and my date with firearms and are taking us to a yet unknown location for a yet unknown purpose. Andre said that we would not be harmed, but nothing to this point makes me think that is true." Fouccault says, "It is true. All we want from you is some specific information. After that you will be released. It concerns the magical artifact that was stolen from our mansion. Do you know where that item is now?"

It wasn't often that Abigail was actually pleased to NOT know something, but this was an exception. Her memories of that day were fuzzy at best, and she had no idea what or if any decisions about the artifact had been made. "I'd ask you to be more specific, but as I have no idea where any magical artifact from the mansion may be, so I can safely answer no." Callum replies "I have no knowledge of where that item is either, I have been in France for a while now."

Gerome says, "Oh, I absolutely know that. I also know how you got here. I was inside the palace in Cairo while the German Dragon-lady was fighting our Dreadnaught. I personally saw you and your Egyptian friend break into the King's vault and steal the magical flying carpet which brought you here. You know the secrets of how to enter that vault, and it is only a matter of time until the new Queen decides to place the artifact there." Abby says, "For a man so steeped in magic, I'd think you could imagine other ways he might have arrived in France."

Callum says, "Regarding the carpet, it was only borrowed, the Queen had it back in her possession in less than a day." Abby adds, "Yes, I dove off that carpet into the Nile in the company of the Queen herself. I can't say I recommend that." Callum continues, "I will say that I am most disappointed in all of you. I had previously thought that you were gentlemen, as well as masters of your individual professions. Now I discover that you have degenerated into being nothing more than petty thieves." Abby lifted an eyebrow again and looked at Cal. She felt he was referring to more than just their desire to get the artifact back.

A long pause follows. Gerome speaks first saying "There is nothing petty about that item, it belongs to our group and is very important." Callum says, "Correction, it did belong to your group, but you decided to pick a fight with the wrong person and it is now forfeit. However, it is also clear that if I give you the information about the vault then the lives of myself and my companion are as good as over. You will not release us, as you said you would, since it may take considerable time for you to actually acquire the item from her vault and in the meanwhile we would be free to tell the Queeen of your intentions."

Fouccault says, "That is not entirely true. We will hold you until we have the item, and then you will be released." "You'll forgive me for not putting a great deal of faith in that statement," Abigail said. "You would do better to pursue another avenue for the lengthening of your life-span. I'm sure there are others." Fauccault says, "Not for us. One problem with life extending magics is that once you start using one type it is extremely dangerous to attempt to use another. Nobody knows why, but reduced aging is not something that becomes cumulative with different methodologies. Attempting another means would in all probably not work, and could also negate the benefits we have already enjoyed."

Callum says, "Mr. Fauccault. I believe that you are sincere in your desire to keep your word, and hold us until you obtain the item. However, you might never obtain in, in which case you are proposing a lifetime sentence. Furthermore, you have not seen all of the facial reactions and body language from your companions during this conversation. Mr. Gerome has absolute hatred towards my companion for inflicting his injury, and Mr. Marcel blames us both for the death of his grandfather. Neither of these men have any intention of ever letting us go."

Abby says, "Then, there is of course the fact that there are people who would miss both of us, some of whom have extraordinary resources, and all of whom know where we went. Mr. Stuart's picture was just taken tonight with Russia's Grand Duke at the concert. And this carriage is hardly unremarkable, we may have been seen by many entering it. Whether you choose to kill us or hold us, you will bring other consequences down on yourselves."Gerome says, "So now you are begging for your lives!

Callum interjects, "You apparently don't know much about Scotsmen if you think that we are the begging type. I would never do that for my own life. But if it helps now I will beg for the life of another." He turns directly towards Fouccault and says, "I am not speaking in reference to my dear companion, but of you sir, your life. Mr. Fouccault, I understand the lure that an extended lifetime brings, Ponce de Leon died searching for his fountain of youth. Whether you obtain this artifact or not, murdering people in the quest to obtain it is too high a cost. I am speaking of your eternal soul sir. How will you ever be able to face yourself in a mirror? I beg of you sir, do not do this. Be thankful for the extra decades that you have already received and let this object go."

orchid blossom

Explorer
I'm still rather proud of these three paragraphs. Every now and then, I get something right.

Abigail’s mind immediately began calculating. What are my assets? Not armed. Still have a sharp pen in my pocket, hard-heeled shoes. Comb in hair sharp enough to scratch deeply but not seriously hurt someone. From the sound of his voice, where exactly is his nose? What’s the necessary angle to crush it with an elbow? A fist? Where are his feet? Toes or feet can be broken with a heel strike. How tall is he? Backward kick to the groin? Unlikely to hit home. Spin and kick in his knee from the side? Is he armed; can I get it from him? Is he lying about the others?

What do they want? Interrogation? Recruitment? Threats? Blackmail? The employers aren’t concerned about committing an open assassination of a well-known person. In a crowd. All these calculations and questions passed through her mind in a fraction of a second. Outwardly, Cal could feel the sudden coiled tension of her muscles, the subtle shift of her weight onto the balls of her feet. The soft sigh of her quickened breath passed her lips.

All this she held in check. Her every instinct was screaming at her to take the threat down. But they had chosen their moment well. And Cal had every right to survive into the next moments. Prevented from lashing out with her fists, her next instinct was to run her mouth. An instinct which she also ruthlessly crushed, and the effort of it and the feeling of helplessness were beginning to fuel a very ugly anger. The voice that came out was sweet as honey, but her accent was thick and dark beneath it. “You’re always so in demand, Mr. Stuart. I suppose I’m not so faint with hunger that I can’t spare a few moments.”

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 131, "Round Fours and Five: Consulting with the Queen and then the British", September 13, 1882, 11:00 AM.

George replies, "I think that would be a reasonable suggestion. Let us proceed while the English debate and deliberate." George offers his arm to the princess and together they follow Hassan. They are announced to the Queen and shown in, the Queen smiles at her sister. "Well Mr. Eastman, have you reached an agreement or are you reporting progress"

"Well, your Highness. I think we are tremendously close. General Orabi and the rebel faction....." George turns to Hassan and says "what? fully capitulated?" he grins to Hassan. Returning to the Queen he continues "Their primary concern was really over the autonomy of Egypt. I have given them assurances that address their concerns. They will disband fully. I suggested a public demonstration of disarming, and re-swearing allegiance to you, the monarchy and Bast. This will cement the loyalty of most of the forces, as well as show the populace your power. The rebel force will be nearly fully disbanded.

With the consultation of Lt. Col Hassan, I think that some reduced form of the force should be retained to supplement the national army. This would NOT be an army contingent but rather a police force or security detail, assigned to guard and maintain order at the canal. Most if not all the commissioned officers should be dismissed and not retained. It is of course Your Majesty's prerogative whether to show mercy to them or assign punishments. I made no promises of amnesty for any of them. A loyal officer to oversee this force would be needed" says George placing his hand on Hassan's shoulder.

"Onto the British. I played a dangerous game of brinksmanship with Woolsely, but did stop short of outright war. The game paid off well I think. Not that I was bluffing though. You and I have some arrangements to make after all this is done by the way. I think we both need to ensure the best future we can. Anyway, the negotiations with the British are nearly complete, if you agree of course. As it stands now, the British are to remove all forces from Egypt. I will give them one month to remove those troops.

The British will be able to maintain a resupply depot in Alexandria for a period of 10 years with a small garrison. The will receive priority berthing in Alexandria and Port Said again for 10 years. The crux of the matter of course was the canal, and that was a point of contention. I will confess to you Neferka, I threatened to fully nationalize the canal and seize it outright. Woolsley went apoplectic. It was not an idle threat either, I was fully prepared to see that through. In the end the agreement calls for the canal agreement to be revised so that vessels will pay the full rate, there will no longer be a discount. This will enable Egypt to repay the loan on time. Control of the canal will revert to Egypt. The only concession I made on this was to provide for British naval vessels, and only naval, mot merchant, to pay the discounted rate. Again for the period of only 10 years.

Again in full disclosure I did issue some veiled threats about joining with the Boers or the Turks. Just so you know. But we do still have to hammer out a few details. Size of the garrison in Alexandria, mechanism for extension, which I said was entirely at your discretion. That is the general framework we are dealing with. Oh and I did threaten to assault Woolsley if he cast any aspersions on your or your character or competency. I have done as well as I could to fulfill your desires. I hope I have justified your trust and faith in me." ends George.

Queen Neferka says, "My, you are bold. But I would guess that I should expect that from any man who plans to marry Ruby. I am mostly in agreement. I see merit in your plan with the rebel army, but I am concerned as to the size of the area you propose for their authority. Very rigid guidelines will need to be established as to jurisdiction. And I also appreciate your not granting an amnesty to the officers, some were clearly in collusion with either the French or former minister Abdullah and their specific actions warrant capital punishment. But you need not worry about that yourself, Barrister Sefu is more than capable of handling that task.

Those British concessions are quite good, the recognition of our sovereignty and agreement that British merchant vessels will pay full fare. That will indeed enable economic stability. But I am bothered about this garrison. I suppose it was too optimistic for me to have them just leave altogether after my father had essentially given them the key to the country, but I also know how the British operate. What is the minimum presence that we can hope to negotiate in order to obtain those other concessions?

"'Fortune favors the bold' your Majesty. But yes, I needed to a bold strategy to win the concessions you wanted. The new Canal Security Force will be limited to the participation of approximately 3,000 men, and will be authorized for Port Said and the Canal zone only. As for the British garrison, that is a point we still have to iron out. I will make it as small as possible. But yes, in practical terms, no presence is a long shot without the force to back it up. If we give them a limited garrison while you solidify the country, you will be in a very good position in ten years to not renew the contract and assert full control and sovereignty." replies George.

She says, "Very good. I should join you now to speak to the delegates, to emphasize that we have discussed the earlier talks and that you have my full authority to continue. Should we meet with them individually or collectively?" George thinks for a moment. "Actually, yes, I think so. But give me a while to decompress and then thirty minutes with the British first. Then I will call you and Orabi in." replies George. George, Col. Hassan, the Princess, the guards and the translators head off to meet with the British.

George heads alone to the garden while the rest head back. There he spies General Drury-Lowe waiting for him. "Ah General I am glad to find you out here. How did your talk with Woolsey go?" Asks George. Drury-Lowe replies, "Very well sir, provided that the Option A is what is decided on. While I am not at liberty to discuss the details, he has contingency plans if you force Option C. That would lead to what I believe would very much be as a lose-lose situation, so I would strongly suggest we do our utmost to avoid that option."

"Oh I am sure he has plans for all sorts of things, but my hope if that they never come to fruition. I will only force plan C if Woolsely makes Plan A untenable. My hope is that you have given him your opinion in favor of this and we can reconcile all this very quickly. Even General Woolsely does not want to use his contingencies." says George with a smile. The two men shake hands and separate, taking different exits from the garden before arriving, at different times back at the conference room. George is the last one in and signal the guards to close the doors again.

"I trust your tea was refreshing General" George asks General Woolsely. "It was sir, thank you. Will we be continuing our discussions at this point?" George says, 'I was quite hopeful that we would yes. I believe the remaining point was the garrison size in Alexandria." General Woolsely says, "Yes, and I believe that you mentioned Port Said and Suez as well. For Alexandria I will be needing something large enough to berth a fleet of fifteen ships, maintain a contingent of soldiers large enough to replace the marine crew of a fleet, and warehouse enough supplies to provision a fleet for a six-month journey.

George says, "As a small point of order General, that is not what you need but what you would like. In any case what does that entail? Berthing for fifteen battleships is quite different than fifteen frigates. And how many marines, how many support personnel? Brass tacks general, let's get some numbers on the table." Woolsley says, "A typical fleet would have five battleships and ten smaller support ships. As for marines, a fleet would carry two battalions of six companies each, so approximately 2,400 men. Support personnel would be of equal number to that."

George rocks back in his chair, staring at the general for a moment. Those in the room can almost see the wheels in his head turning. George allows the chair to fall forward, the sound startling the room slightly in the silence. "Two battalions of regulars, support personnel include quartermasters and such, non coms, correct? Restricted to Alexandria, supplies to be purchased from Egyptian vendors at full price. No ship in berth longer than a month barring repairs. This is a weigh station not a base. With those stipulations, that is an agreeable level of personnel." replies George. General Drury-Lowe interjects, "Can I request a ten minute recess while we discuss it?" " Of course" replies George graciously. The British return to their suite.

"Uh, Ok." says George as the British leave in silence. George though turns to Hassan. "Two battalions seen reasonable right Hassan? I figured if they get out of hand that is not so many you can't get a handle on it. I think this is the best of both worlds. The key of course is the ten year lease on this." He replies, "Yes, although I think that I might want to let you explain that the Queen instead of me, she will still see that many foreign troops as too much. Quite frankly, I am comfortable with that large a force given that we will be using former rebels with the canal police force. Them knowing that there are that many British troops nearby who can be called upon if necessary will help to keep the police force in line.

As for the lease, make sure there are no clauses that could be misinterpreted as automatic renewal, and it should specify an exact date to begin renegotiating extensions beyond the ten year point, I would suggest either six, nine or twelve months before the expiration. If that date is not spelled out the British will just let that ten-year point come and go while continuing to stay until forced out. The other detail that needs specified is longer berthing periods in the event of repairs. Clearly if their fleet comes into port with battle damage they would be allowed to stay until made seaworthy. But if we don't get specific they'll just keep adding more ships by never completing all of the repairs on any of them."

George replies, "All excellent points Hassan, and I agree that things need to be explicitly stated. I have spoken with the Queen about progress so far, and while she would prefer to not have any troops, she understands the pragmatic reasons why it would be difficult to eliminate them entirely. I am glad though that a military man is comfortable with the size. And I think it will work both ways, the British will help keep the Canal Force in line and the Canal Force will help keep the British in line as well, knowing you have auxiliaries so to speak. With a full rate being charged on canal use, there should be a sufficient income to expand and update the army. A viable and strong army is the best way to keep the British at bay."

The British are quick to return. General Wolseley is quick to inform George: "Mr. Eastman. We appear to be in agreement. Let us get these documents drafted post haste." "Excellent General Woolsley." says George extending his hand. "Let us break for lunch, though I know you just had tea, while the documents are drafted and in the afternoon we will have the signing ceremony." "Excellent sir," the man replies. The British depart.

Col. Hassan says, "And when should we next meet with General Orabi?" George replies, "Well, seeing as I believe we addressed all of his concerns, I don't see the need to until we have a treaty to read over." The Colonel throws back his head and laughs. When he recovers he says, "Mr. Eastman, you have a certain style that I hope to some day emulate."

George laughs along with Hassan. "Well if you do Hassan, you may well end up running the entire army. But how do you think I made much of my wealth? Indeed by innovation, but canny negotiation as well." He replies, "Indeed. But deciding to not meet with somebody who is expecting you, just because there is no actual reason to do so, that is not a skill taught by the army, mine or anybody else's." "Which is why the army needs to take lessons from business. But we will let them know presently. Now, let's get this treaty written."

The scribes sit for the next hour while George and Col. Hassan dictate to them exactly what is to be written out. George and Hassan make sure all their concerns are spelled out exactly as they want and George ensures that the two translations are identical in both tone and language. Six copies are prepared, three in English and three in Arabic, so that each party will have them in both languages.

Colonel Hassan, the Princess and George then retreat to the Queen's suite for lunch. Queen Neferka is no longer present, having departed to go shopping with Ruby. An elaborate lunch spread has been set for the negotiators.

Remove ads