• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AGoT - House Steadfast

Widowmaker

First Post
Voidrazor - thanks for the help. I did not even notice that until you mentioned it. Good Advice. :)

Enforcer - Intial concept looks good. A few question on things?

1) The House Steadfast member that took you back could be Ser Vyncent, Ser Simon's brother. That way a little political influence could help smooth you leaving the ship. That and he would recognize his brother more than anyone else.

2) Yes I believe there will be a member of House Steadfast in the game.

3) Does Jonas plan on taking the Water Dancer prestige class?

4) If so you may want to mention something of his training in the history. You may name the person and spend a few influence points on that person and the ship captain.

5) From your history I doubt you would have a Sand Steed.

6) How did you acquire the Braavosi Blade? They are very expensive. I understand the rules mechanics, but a little more background would help.

Widowmaker

First Post
Originally Posted by Jdvn1
Well, I'd wonder, "If I wanted to attach myself to a house, why wouldn't I have done it earlier?" Or, is being looked down up as a hedge knight enough of a reason not to be accepted into a house?

Yes being a hedge knight is enough for a hedge knight not to be accepted into a house. While a house may supplement its forces with hedge knights, it does not mean they are willing to offer that knight a full position into the house.

Knights are still considered the premier warriors of the battlefield. They are mounted and usually well armed and armored. More so than a typical sworn sword.

Except for in the North, most Lords were knights first. Hence there is a stigma against Hedge Knights. A commoner could be raised to a Knight. But for a hedge knight to be raised to a lord is almost unheard of.

So most knights are of some noble status in one way or another. Either distant relatives to a noble house. Or something like that.

Another thing is that most Hedge Knights are also testing the house to see if they fit into to it. While a House Knight has the backing and power of a house, he doesn't have to obey the oath. In fact most don't.

A Hedge Knight only has two things his word and reputation. As I said before most take there oath very serious because what they say and do speaks for there reputation.

It takes time for a hedge knight to be offered a position into a house. Hopefully I have made this situaiton a little more clear. Hence why they have a Social Status of 0.

lissilambe

First Post
The Egens work out for me, and glad to think you have the same thought about "Granddad".

As for your commentaries, I'm not all that into making her a fighting machine. So I didn't build her with the mindset of being a bull in combat. :) I appreciate your notes on her stats and feats, but I'm pretty happy with the way she is. If you're telling me that this will be a combat-heavy game that this girl is a poor survivalist for, then I might consider having to back out, really. Combat should be rare (if dangerous) in AGoT.

As for her levels in raider, the reasoning is this: she skirmishes. She knows her weaknesses in combat, and makes up for them by being fast and quick. It's not so much she raided and pillaged as much as she just adapts what she learns. Man-at-arms doesn't work for a class for her because she's not a stand-up fighter. I hope that makes sense to you.

Artisan was taken for unknown purposes. First, I didn't want to give her noble until I was more sure about how you'd want to blend grandpa and mom into your story. Second, artisan gives her some decent skills and education, but also showcases the fact that she pretty much rebelled and ignored all her "noble" lessons at every opportunity. Again, hope that makes sense.

If you really think I should move to noble, I'll do that. As for the other stuff, I'm more leery about that. Again, I don't picture a combat-heavy, combat-happy game where I need to worry so much about her combat.

Take care
Don

Widowmaker

First Post
One thing I noticed I did not put in the Template for the characters was a description. (Height, Weight, Age, Hair, Eyes, Sex). In the Karrwin Starks background Starman put that information.

So . . . I would like you to give put a description of your character.

This leads to a interesting question and problem, at least for two or three of the character. What are the family gentic traits of Ser Simon?

When I created the House I left it vague so the players had some say. My only thoughts were something of Ser Simon being carouser. So I figure he was decent looking, maybe something in the eyes attracted the ladies.

Widowmaker

First Post
Waylander - There is only a brief listing in the book. It is in the Reputation and Influences Chapter. About the third paragraph under "Reputation Descriptors and Bonuses". Page 188 in my book, but I have the Deluxe Edition.

lissilambe - First off I do not see a lot of combat in the game. As you said it is deadly in AGoT. Hence why the suggestions to make you survival a little better.

But they are not necessary. I want you to be happy and comfortable with your character.

As a side note: In the other online game I am running. I think in the entire two years we have played we have had one combat. It is not the focus in that game.

As for the raider/noble/artisan, as long as you have a reason and can explain why you took them I am fine with it. And you have. As I said I just want to be able to understand the motivations and background to help make the game better.

If you are happy with your character, please give a physical description and then post her in the RG. :)

Edit 1:
Forgot to mention on the noble thing. Nothing says you cannot take a level of noble later on if it comes up.

Edit 2:
To All: As the backgrounds come in I will then be able to create House Steadfast a little better. I want to be able to use your backgrounds to help flesh out the House.

Last edited:

Maester Harwyn
5th level Maester
Background: The Vale of Arryn
House Affiliation: Steadfast (Minor House)
Social Status: +2 (Maester of House Steadfast)
Wealth:
Reputations: Absent Minded +2, Wise +1
Influences: Citadel +5, Beyond Citadel +5, 40 IP not allocated

Hit Points: 11
Shock: 5
Initiative: +7
Movement: 30 ft.
Armor Class: 0 (+2 defense, -2 Dexterity)
Armor: 0 (no Armor)
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+0
Attack: Dagger +0 (1d4-2/19-20/x2)

Saves: Fort +4 (+5 vs. Shock), Ref -1, Will + 7
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 6, Con 10, Int 17, Wis 16, Cha 16

Skills: Appraise +7, Bluff +9, Alchemy +7, Decipher Script +8, Diplomacy +11, Disable Device +9, Disguise +7, Gather Information +11, Handle Animal +5, Heal +9, Knowledge (arcana) +7, Knowledge (arch) +5, Knowledge (history) +9, Knowledge (local) +9, Knowledge (nature) +4, Knowledge (nobilty) +7, Knowledge (religion) +5, Knowledge, Knowledge (Foreign Culture) +7, Knowledge (Legends)+10, Knowledge (Warfare) +10, Knowledge (Stewardship) +7, Sense Motive +6, Speak Language +5.

Feats: Literacy(free), Leechcraft ( class bonus), Political Connections ( class Bonus), Blood of Andals (Intelligence). Quick Witted (extra), Hard Luck (extra), Fortunes Favor (1st level Feat), Wealth (3rd level feat)

Special Abilities: Rookery, Research, Stargazing, Logic and Reason +1, +0, Mastery (Loremaster), Mastery (Poisoner)

Defects: Dark Secret (2bp), Crippled (3bp), Marked (1bp)

Background:

Maester Harwyn has been appointed as the Maester of House Steadfast as requested by Ser Aaron Caron. He often appears a befuddled fool and is prone to being absent minded.He also is both weak and fragile which adds to his overall appearance of incompetence. Further, he is missing his right hand, which was supposedly lost in an accident during his training at the Citadel at Oldtown. This is exactly the reason why the Caron’s have seen it to be appropriate to have Harwyn as the Maester of the house. As such, he is often ignored and left alone.

Last edited:

Widowmaker

First Post
Waylander - Intially looks good. I like the background. I figure you have more.

For All: If you need to send me something you can send it to dunedanranger AT gmail DOT com

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads