Ahsoka - SPOILERS

MarkB

Legend
And co want to track them down and bring back Thrawn. Morgan wants to do whatever it we left him doing in the last episode. Getting Thrawn back is just a happy byproduct(if he even cares) for him.
I think you mean Baylan - Morgan was the Nightsister.

And I was summarising the information as presented to us at the start of the season.

So there’s another thread out with the 60 best shows of the century (I’m not in agreement with it but it is what it is)
My point is for me other than andor and Mando most of this isn’t making the top 50. It’s mildly entertaining but it’s not game of thrones or house of dragon good or etc of shows on that list. First season of west world I was edge of my seat or stranger things or that first season of true detective
There is none of that in Ashoka. There is none of that in falcon and winter soldier etc
Who’s winning best actor on these shows. Who’s competing with peter Dinklage in GOT

Now I’d say more than 1/2 of us know the backstory on the novels and comics and good for us however I’m not telling my coworker

delericho

Legend
So there’s another thread out with the 60 best shows of the century (I’m not in agreement with it but it is what it is)
My point is for me other than andor and Mando most of this isn’t making the top 50.
The overwhelming majority of all shows are going to fall of any "best 50 shows of all time" list. If that's the bar for success, pretty much everything is a failure.

My point is for me other than andor and Mando most of this isn’t making the top 50. It’s mildly entertaining but it’s not game of thrones or house of dragon good or etc of shows on that list. First season of west world I was edge of my seat or stranger things or that first season of true detective
There is none of that in Ashoka. There is none of that in falcon and winter soldier etc
Who’s winning best actor on these shows. Who’s competing with peter Dinklage in GOT
Is this show better than say enterprise? Is the acting better? For me is was more on the edge of my seat for the ending of bad batch

Now I’d say more than 1/2 of us know the backstory on the novels and comics and good for us however I’m not telling my coworker to watch like I do with breaking bad or got etc. the show could have done a flashback of what the statues meant or what happened on the planet. A scroll on the top like they did in the movies would have gone a long way

Which has nothing to do with awards or critics view of quality of shows at all, which was your point, or did I read it wrong?
Well off topic but you brought up the bottom line. My argument was there is no great acting etc on this show. It’s just there. If it gets cancelled tomorrow will it have a movement to bring it back. Most likely not

I'm not going to get into whether Andor was slower or not, but I think the reason Ahsoka's pacing doesn't feel good is that it's a show which very much set out its path right from the start.
  • Ezra and Thrawn are in a distant, unknown location.
  • Ahsoka wants to track them down to end the threat of Thrawn, Sabine wants to track them down to rescue Ezra, Morgan and co want to track them down and bring back Thrawn to reinvigorate the remnants of the Empire.
  • There is a MapGuffin that will point the way, so the race is on to claim and decipher it.
So, right from the start, the bits we knew about were the locating Ezra and Thrawn, the going to find them and the bringing them back. That was the baseline. What would be interesting, then, was what happened next, what would be the fallout of that foregone conclusion?

And in the end, while the journey was interesting in parts, what we ended up getting was purely the foregone conclusion and nothing further. The "what happens next" that we were waiting for so eagerly remains to maybe be seen in some future product whose likely release date or even production date remains a mystery.
I think that is also part of why Baylan and his apprentice were so compelling - because we didn't actually know what would happen, what they are about, what they are after.

That said, I don't think that the end result being a kinda foregone conclusion has to mean the story can't work. You just have to work for it a bit more. The prequels, as flawed as they are, still managed to maintain some mysteries and twists on how the fall of the Republic and the fall of Anakin unfolds.

Remove ads