• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Airwalkrr's Shackled City IC

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]Thanee, are you using italics for some particular reason? Usually I see people use them when they represent a character's thoughts but you seem to be using them to represent speech. I just want to know so I know whether NPCs should react to Alexi or not.[/sblock]
Jenya looks ponderously at Floch, then says, "I've heard of you. You're the night watchman for the orphanage aren't you? Ruphus mentioned you. Said you were a rather..." she trails off as if searching for the right word, then grins, "...polite fellow. You are indeed noble of spirit to help find the children. Thank you."

Turning to Goran as if his remark were not inappropriate at all, she replies before Floch can, "Based on the report I received from Ruphus, there was no sign of the children's disappearance. None at all. And no locks of hair left behind either," she says with a glance to Simon. "There is a back door to the orphanage but it was part of Floch's patrol, and that's irrelevant because there is only one entrance to each of the childrens' bedchambers, which are also part of Floch's patrol. I encourage you to go and have a look at the orphanage if you feel so inclined. I can't guarantee it will tell you anything I haven't already, but it couldn't hurt.

Turning back to Simon, she says, "It's funny you mention catacombs. I'm not a dungeoneer, so I couldn't tell you the specifics, but legends and tales say that beneath Cauldron is an extensive system of lava tubes and underground lakes, many of them inhabited by all manner of creatures. Dwarves, gnomes, goblins, and such all used to live below. Some probably still do."

Floch

Yes, I checked all the locks. Unless someone had a master key.
Floch adds to what Jenya said.
Catacombs ... where do you think such entrance could be found? No entrance in the orphanage, I know the place like the back of my hand!!

Thanee

First Post
[SBLOCK=airwalkrr]OOC: Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. ;)
I use italics for speech and thoughts (just because I'm used to, pretty much), though speech is colored, so it stands out better.
So, yeah, she said that. :)
[/SBLOCK]

airwalkrr

Adventurer
"As I said, I'm not a scholar of the lava tubes beneath the city. But it is entirely possible that there are still entrances to them that are unknown or at least little known. If you suspect that someone took the kidnapped children below the city, remember there has been more to this than just the children; people the city over have been disappearing, so the entrance to such a place could easily be elsewhere."

Oni

First Post
That's right, you said something about other disappearances, and robberies too, before. What do you know about those? How long's it been going on?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
"Well, there have been dozens of events like this over the past few months. I've got scraps and pieces of information from the town guard on the others. If you'd like, I shall compile a list for you. I can have it ready by morning.

"Well, it is getting late. I understand a couple of you have had difficulty finding a place to stay. Because of your kindness towards Ruphus, you are welcome to stay at the church dormitories for the evening. Tomorrow, I will provide you with a list of places in the city where you might find boarding. In the meantime, please accept these as a token of goodwill."

Jenya steps over to the fireplace and opens a wooden case within which are several vials. She hands one to each of you. The potion bottles are clearly labeled "cure moderate wounds" and bear the ruby starburst symbol that is common to clerics of this order.

"Before I say goodnight, I would like to let you know that as an additional incentive, the Church is offering a reward of 2,500 gold doubloons* for the recovery of the children and missing townsfolk, as well as punishment of those responsible. Normally, I would allow the guard to handle it, but clearly this is out of their control, and justice must be served one way or the other."

[sblock=*OOC]The common units of currency for Cauldron and surrounding region are the copper common, the silver shekel, the electrum blade, the gold doubloon, and the platinum skull.[/sblock]

Simon bows low. "An honor to serve, and a pleasure to do so in such a righteous cause. Anyone...anyTHING...that would take children is not to be borne, and must be dealt with swiftly."

Thanee

First Post
Alexi

Alexi isn't quite sure about what to make of it. The potion she just got handed must have cost a small fortune and the sum Jenya is talking about is more gold than she has ever seen on one pile. Nonetheless, she seems honest enough. Maybe the miners had the wrong idea... and there is more gold to be found in the cities.

“Oh, thank you very much, Jenya. I'll gladly accept the offer and hopefully I can help finding the missing children.”

Oni

First Post
Keth scratched his chin. It must be something pretty strange going on if this had been going on for months with no clues.

With the reminder that it was indeed getting late, he suddenly remembered he was tired from long day in a strange new place, and could no longer stifle the large yawn that escaped him now.

Taking the potion he was offered, he turned the small bottle over in his hands, inspecting it. After a moments thought.

Heh, hope I won't be needing this.

When she mentioned the other reward, it did occur to him somewhere in the back of his mind that that was an awful lot more than he had. Of course Keth wasn't sure what a man would do with that money, it was only recently he even had a need for coins at all. Before that it was mostly an abstract notion that Old Karst had insisted he would need to know about someday.

There was something else the old druid mentioned once, a point of ettiquette "civilized" folk observed. Keth hopped down from his seat and cleared his throut.

I almost forgot, ahem.

he stood up ramrod straight and fiercely thumped his small fist on his chest.

I am Keth Shinsplitter.

Then he held out his hand with a measure of uncertainty.

How do you do...

He glanced around hoping he did it right.

Remove ads