• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Airwalkrr's Temple of Elemental Evil (IC)

Redclaw

First Post
Dolan looks at the castle with an appraising eye. While no expert on such constructions he is a dwarf, and thus knows a little about stonework.

OOC: Sorry all, I just don't see my dwarven fighter leaving his armor or hammer behind unless specifically ordered to by someone in authority. He will certainly have his hammer strapped to his back, and he can leave his shield behind, but he'd feel naked without his armor.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
ooc: Vicroar is fully armed as well. I doubt what he carries would alarm many people, but it would be against his nature to leave it behind. If need be, we can explore the land around the "castle".

Brachna

First Post
Drynethael examines the battlements briefly, though he is not well versed in architecture. He nods at Vicroar's and Aredal's mention of the keep's defenses. "Aye, it would appear they expect much more trouble than we have been led to believe. Of course, it could be that the local viscount simply ordered the keep's construction to better defend this frontier. With all the gold I am told has been flowing into Hommlett in recent years, it would not surprise me that they would invest a goodly portion of it into defense, considering their rather bloody history."

He pauses as he scans the walls again. "Still, it may warrant investigating the source of their funding if anything seems untoward." He whispers to his companions. "Perhaps a portion of this keep's funding comes as a bribe from the bandits? We shall have to ensure that the character of this Burne fellow is beyond reproach." Drynethael cannot help but let his suspicious nature rise to the surface as he nears the human fortification.

When the guards challenge the party, Drynethael silently steps back, arms outstretched in a non threatening manner. He allows the charismatic cleric to do the speaking for him, for he is still unfamiliar with the idiosyncracies of human mannerisms, and he does not wish to mistakenly incite the guards to violence with a misplaced word or gesture.

[sblock=OOC]
Being the suspicious sort that he is, I can't see Drynethael leaving any weaponry behind, unfortunately. Therefore, he's armed with a sheathed rapier at his right hip, a short bow slung over his shoulder, a quiver at his left hip, and a dagger in his left boot. He's wearing studded leather armor dyed black with silver studs.

Once inside the keep (if we go inside), he'll probably be making several Sense Motive checks as appropriate. Being suspicious of humans he doesn't know, he can't help but suspect treachery.
[/sblock]

EDIT: Added OOC stuff.

Last edited:

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Brachna said:
Drynethael examines the battlements briefly, though he is not well versed in architecture. He nods at Vicroar's and Aredal's mention of the keep's defenses. "Aye, it would appear they expect much more trouble than we have been led to believe. Of course, it could be that the local viscount simply ordered the keep's construction to better defend this frontier. With all the gold I am told has been flowing into Hommlett in recent years, it would not surprise me that they would invest a goodly portion of it into defense, considering their rather bloody history."

A leader should look to his people, rather than himself. Such walls are only good to those within them, and the villagers would never get into such a place under an attack. Vicroar shakes his head. There is no such thing as a typical human. He looks at Aredal, One can be so heroic and worry about everything but itself, while another can only think of himself. This race is difficult

Brachna

First Post
Drynethael nods at Vicroar. "Good point." He whispers to his friend. He then listens quietly to Aredal's conversation with the guards.

Voda Vosa

First Post
"I like the place, good spot to rise a family you know. Nice walls, good stonework if I may. Our good dwarf can tell I'm sure." the gnome says, scratching his belly, the remember of the abundant breakfast still goes through his mind, making him sigh.

OOC:Sorry I've lost the bookmark of this thread, and forgot completely. I have it bookmarked now.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
This town is clearly not accustomed to adventurers and mercenaries. Several times along the way, your group has been gawked at by locals who quickly rush inside. Though some of them try to pretend they are not in a hurry, their motive is all to evident. Clearly there has not been danger within the actual township of Hommlet for quite some time and the villagers are uniformly shocked by your display of weaponry and armor.

The guards atop the battlements regard you with extreme caution as you approach, even going so far as to ready their shields. They respond promptly to Aredal's request for approach, What business have you with Burne? Were you sent by the Viscount? Is there some danger we have not been informed of? Identify yourself and your mission before proceeding any closer.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
A place this well armed could do with letting a few hunt bandits...... Vicroar whispers to himself.

ooc: Think there is any way to have the man come to us? I'd rather not go into this place. I have no idea why, just doesn't seem safe lol.

Voda Vosa

First Post
"We are here to aid you my good man. We have hear word, that bandits and the such, have established in the surroundings. Though now I see how well prepared you are, our presence seems redundant. Please, come, open the gates for us, we mean no threat. We wish to speak with the leader of this town, to inform him of this."

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]I sense some of you may be getting the wrong impression of this place. Hommlet is a simple, provincial village. It was once inadvertently caught up in the happenings of the rise of the Temple of Elemental Evil, but since the defeat of those forces approximately six years ago, the place has been relatively quiet and normal. The people of town are not cowled in fear and most of them seem good-natured. Seeing you come off the dusty trail in armor is understandable, as roads can be dangerous, but for people to see you straying from the highway and walking around town like that is causing them some anxiety. It is also common knowledge (at least among those who have spent any time among humans) that fortifications of the type being constructed are normal. They are used for defense when danger approaches town. Once the keep is constructed, it will allow villagers to take refuge there if a hostile army approaches. The town may not be in constant threat of invasion, but attacks are inevitable, whether they come from enemy nations, evil humanoids, or monsters.[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads