• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alarm and Minor Globe?

Hi there

Does anyone have ideas on the following scenario?

The Mage has minor globe cast in them, which stops all spell effects below 4th level affecting him, walks into the area of effect of an alarm spell. Does the alarm go off, and if so why?

two

First Post
Tom McCafferty said:
Hi there

Does anyone have ideas on the following scenario?

The Mage has minor globe cast in them, which stops all spell effects below 4th level affecting him, walks into the area of effect of an alarm spell. Does the alarm go off, and if so why?

Isnt' the globe static? i.e. can't move?

"An immobile, faintly shimmering magical sphere surrounds you and excludes all spell effects of 3rd level or lower."

Yes it is. So the question can't arise.

Dracomeander

First Post
Yes, the globe is immobile, but here's a situation that could arise.

What happens when an outsider with protective aura active enters a region protected by an alarm spell? :]

Would the alarm be triggered or suppressed as the outsider gets closer and the effects overlap?

The paranoid evil necromancer would like to know. :uhoh:

Dracomeander

First Post
My initial thought would be that the protective aura suppresses the alarm, but I could see the possibilty for arguing the other way (modern analogy - broken circuit on a security system).

Dracomeander

First Post
SRD said:
Protective Aura (Su): Against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures, this ability provides a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus on saving throws to anyone within 20 feet of the angel. Otherwise, it functions as a magic circle against evil effect and a lesser globe of invulnerability, both with a radius of 20 feet (caster level equals angel’s HD). This aura can be dispelled, but the angel can create it again as a free action on its next turn.

Examples include:
Angels
Ghaele Eladrin
Leonal Guardinal

Infiniti2000

First Post
Oh okay, I was only looking at evil outsiders. :)

Anyway, the angel (and anyone within the radius) would be undetected by an alarm cast by an evil spellcaster.

Infiniti2000

First Post
The Protective Aura says "effects created by evil creatures." It's even arguable that it functions against all lower level spells, not just evil, but I'd personally restrict it to evil based on the first sentence (I'd think using just the second sentence removes it from the context of the paragraph).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads