Alignment/Multiclassing/DM Screen/Power Source From I-Con

ChaosShard

Explorer
Spatula said:
It's an artificer class ability, not some Eberron setting trait.

True, but that doesn't mean that expanding on a good idea is a bad thing (assuming it *is* a good idea, never really played Eberron).

You disenchant magic items in WoW to get the components to enchant other items. The components can also be sold, but that's not the primary purpose of disenchanting.

Again, true, but we don't know how the system will work in detail. For all we know, you pile a bunch of magic items around the one you're making/improving and suck all of the power from them and into your new item. That would preclude the whole 'enchanting materials' bit entirely.

Mind you, that's not at all what it sounded like when they described it. What Mearls said sounded very much like the disenchanting practices of WoW (not a bad thing at all, in my opinion).

D.Shaffer

First Post
Spatula said:
It's an artificer class ability, not some Eberron setting trait.
Actually, I did mean to put 'Artificer' in there, honestly. I apparently hit send a bit to soon.

You disenchant magic items in WoW to get the components to enchant other items. The components can also be sold, but that's not the primary purpose of disenchanting.
It's the primary purpose for disenchanting in a group, from my experience. You MIGHT hang onto that shard or other components to make it cheaper to get an enchantment later, but 9 times out of 10, that shard is going on the AH block.

Lizard

Explorer
D.Shaffer said:
Actually, I did mean to put 'Artificer' in there, honestly. I apparently hit send a bit to soon.

It's the primary purpose for disenchanting in a group, from my experience. You MIGHT hang onto that shard or other components to make it cheaper to get an enchantment later, but 9 times out of 10, that shard is going on the AH block.

Yeah, but it's only being sold because someone plans to make a magic item with it.

Lizard

Explorer
ForumFerret said:
Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times YES.

MY sword stays with me the entire course of my career. Finally.

That's a pretty big leap...

From what we've seen of the magic items in 4e, you upgrade pretty often. How 'depowering' works is really undetermined. It might be as simple as adding charges to items or increasing their modifiers by a small amount. The assumption that you start with a +1 sword and then feed it other swords until it's a +5 holy reaving keen flaming acid dancing sword is not necessarily true. Nor is it necessarily false.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
ForumFerret said:
Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times YES.

MY sword stays with me the entire course of my career. Finally.

That is precisely how I feel as well. Meaning, the "ancestral sword of your father's father passed onto you" can grow in power potentially!

ForumFerret

Explorer
Lizard said:
That's a pretty big leap...

From what we've seen of the magic items in 4e, you upgrade pretty often. How 'depowering' works is really undetermined. It might be as simple as adding charges to items or increasing their modifiers by a small amount. The assumption that you start with a +1 sword and then feed it other swords until it's a +5 holy reaving keen flaming acid dancing sword is not necessarily true. Nor is it necessarily false.

WHO ARE YOU TO BRING LOGIC TO THE TABLE!??!?!

But yeah, after the initial enthusiasm has worn off, your measured response is more appropriate. I remain cautiously optimistic, though - this is more than we've ever gotten before in the core rules.

In fact, I'm interested to see what the 'cost' of the ritual is. Say I have a +1 Greathammer we just found, and my Fighter is a longsword guy with a standard long sword. The assumption would be that my sword becomes a +1 Longsword, and the greathammer becomes a nonmagical item, or is consumed.

The tricky part is going to come when I have my +1 Longsword, and we find a +2 Dagger of Flametongue - what happens to the existing enchantment on the item? does it become a +2 Longsword of Flametongue, and the daggers become nonmagical (leaving us with a net loss in magic, as the +1 from the longsword gets dropped out)? Does the dagger become a +1 Dagger and the Sword a +2 Flametongue, trading the bonuses around?

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Is it release day yet?

D.Shaffer

First Post
Lizard said:
Yeah, but it's only being sold because someone plans to make a magic item with it.
Actually...no. Very few crafted items require components created by disenchanting an item. For the most part, shards, dust, and the like are required to ENCHANT an item, adding a buff on top of an items normal function. The majority of crafted magical item components are either bought from a vendor, found through gathering skills (Herbalist, Skinning, Mining), or are drops from creatures.

Remove ads