• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

All about shifting

Bayuer

First Post
Can a player shift when non adjacent to enemy. I mean. He's 10 squares from enemy. He says. I shift as move action and gain benefit from boots of fencing master?

And can someone give a clarification about shifting. Does it prevent all OA or just when shifting from adjacent square. What with monster powers that allow you to shift multiple squares and not provoke opportunity actions. That's dont make sens for this powers if shifting only helps you to ignore OA when you shift from adjacent target. All skirmishers are so screwed now.

Dracorat

First Post
Yes, he can.

In the PHB, they even give the example that it might be advantageous to shift and THEN run (under the description of run) - which I point out because it would for the same reason be advantageous to shift and then use the boots power.

Edit: Don't forget that a shift is a move action, meaning to take another move action uses the standard action. That's how it's balanced.

Last edited:

Dracorat

First Post
Does it prevent all OA or just when shifting from adjacent square. What with monster powers that allow you to shift multiple squares and not provoke opportunity actions. That's dont make sens for this powers if shifting only helps you to ignore OA when you shift from adjacent target. All skirmishers are so screwed now.

Shifts only stop OAs as a result of the movement of the shift. If you then ran, the run is not protected. (Or cast a ranged spell in melee range, or a multitude of other OA causing effects.)

Monsters (and players) who can shift multiple squares at a time are protected by all movement in the shifting.

Monsters and players who are moved my an effect are not subject to OAs either.

HTH

DracoSuave

First Post
Explicitly, the OA is prevented from moving away from an adjacent space. If something else triggers the OA, the shifting does nothing to prevent it.

Diirk

First Post
Just think of a shift as the old 3.5 5 foot step, except its a move action rather than 'free action if you don't take any other movement', which simplifies it a bit.

DracoSuave

First Post
Just think of a shift as the old 3.5 5 foot step, except its a move action rather than 'free action if you don't take any other movement', which simplifies it a bit.

Except for it isn't quite, in that if you somehow provoke an Opportunity Attack but not by shifting out of an adjacent square (Polearm Gamble comes to mind) then the shifting does nothing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads