All Change At WotC: New President Arrives From Microsoft As Greg Leeds Resigns

WotC's President, Greg Leeds, has resigned, to be replaced by Microsoft's Chris Cocks. The changeover takes place on June 6th, with Leeds staying on to facilitate a smooth transfer. Greg Leeds has been President of WotC for 8 years, since 2008. Chris Cock's most recent position was Vice President of OEM Technical Sales at Microsoft. The full press release is below.

WotC's President, Greg Leeds, has resigned, to be replaced by Microsoft's Chris Cocks. The changeover takes place on June 6th, with Leeds staying on to facilitate a smooth transfer. Greg Leeds has been President of WotC for 8 years, since 2008. Chris Cock's most recent position was Vice President of OEM Technical Sales at Microsoft. The full press release is below.

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 20.48.54.png

Chris Cocks

[h=4]Press Release[/h]
PAWTUCKET, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Hasbro, Inc. today announced that Greg Leeds has resigned as President of Wizards of the Coast, and will be replaced by Chris Cocks who joins the company from Microsoft. Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, offers games and entertainment under world-renowned brands such as MAGIC: THE GATHERING, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, and DUEL MASTERS. Leeds has served as the President of Wizards of the Coast since 2008, and started at Hasbro in 2001. He will stay on to ensure a smooth transition to Cocks, who will officially join the team in Seattle on June 6.

“We are incredibly thankful to Greg for the tremendous contributions he has made to Hasbro, especially during his time leading Wizards of the Coast,” said John Frascotti, President, Hasbro Brands. “Today, thanks to Greg’s commitment and passion, Wizards of the Coast’s brands are stronger than ever. Though MAGIC: THE GATHERING was introduced more than 20 years ago, it is more relevant and popular today than it’s ever been, with a record number of people around the world playing the game and participating in MAGIC organized play events.”

Leeds will be replaced by Chris Cocks, who most recently served as Vice President, OEM Technical Sales at Microsoft Corporation, where he led a global sales and technical engagement team. Prior to his eight-year tenure with Microsoft, Chris served as Vice President of Educational Games at LeapFrog, where he led a cross-discipline team to drive hardware planning, software design and development, marketing and channel management. He began his career in brand management at Procter & Gamble and served in product management and marketing leadership positions in Xbox and MSN, including work on hit franchises like Halo and Fable, prior to joining Leapfrog. Cocks is an avid player and fan of Wizards of the Coast brands, including MAGIC: THE GATHERING and DUNGEONS & DRAGONS.

“We’re very excited to welcome Chris to the Wizards of the Coast family,” said Frascotti. “As an avid fan and player with extensive digital experience, I’m confident Chris is the right person to help us build on the tremendous momentum around our brands and take the franchise to the next level by delivering exciting new experiences to our growing and passionate fan base around the world."

See the list of ex-WotC employees here.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Several degrees in English and Communications makes it easy to parse corporate speech.
Does it? I would've thought something like a business degree would make more sense. Or even law. But okay. I just hope you weren't attempting to declare superior authority or something. That could get awkward. Especially give how little you know of the educational accomplishments of the rest of us posting here...

But we'll find out sooner or later, I am sure, when he gives the inevitable interview. Nevertheless, I seem to be one of the few posters in the thread who actually sees his coming to WotC as a very good thing.
I've seen a fair bit of positive beats in this thread so far. I would definitely not categorize it as "few". But then, I don't have any degrees supposedly related to my stated perception. So what do I know, amIright...

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games

As long as it's in English.

Especially give how little you know of the educational accomplishments of the rest of us posting here

It's not a zero sum situation.

I've seen a fair bit of positive beats in this thread so far. I would definitely not categorize it as "few". But then, I don't have any degrees supposedly related to my stated perception. So what do I know, amIright...

I see more trepidation in this thread than enthusiasm, but rail on, my friend. Rail on . . .

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Yeah, lol. This. People complain about wanting physical books, which is fine. But I would spend SO much more on D&D products if WotC offered fairly priced digital books, like pretty much every other company in the entire freaking world is now doing. Physical products for things can be nice, but I really want and need digital copies.

Honestly? I could get behind this...IF...

A) I could get it in the format I want.
--A.a) Format being ANY digital format I want: epub, mobi, PDF, RTF, odt, etc...
--A.b) Whatever format it is, it has ZERO restrictions on what I can do with it: I can delete text, remove art, save it to a backup drive/disk, etc...

B) After I purchase it, it NEVER 'checks back with the mothership': I don't have to be online to read it, open it, etc.

C) When I buy it I can "trade it in" for a different format later on: If I bought epub to read on my tablet, but a year later don't use my tablet (lost it, broke it, sold it, etc), I can go to the company and "change in" my licensed copy for a PDF.

D) The company puts actual effort into utilizing the format the way it can be: if an epub, different styles of text layout, colours, etc...if PDF, layers for easy disabling of background images, artwork, fancy boarders, ability to change text colour, typeface, and adding stuff in like hotlinks for key words, index, ToC, and to extra stuff on the net like audio tracks, video, etc.

E) Guarantee that I will ALWAYS have access to re-download my purchase...even if the company goes mammaries-up. I don't want some other company to come in and buy it, then say "No, no more. But here's our special-updated-fancy version you can buy at a discount!".

Likelihood? Somewhere just south of "when hell freezes over". ;)

Ergo...I want a physical book I can do what I want with. I can copy pages, highlight, put sticky notes in, rip of the spine and spiral bind it myself, etc. It's mine. Forever (or as long as it lasts/doesn't get destroyed/lost, etc...kinda like "C" above, but without the changing it in for a new one part). Once I fork over my cash, the company has ZERO say in what I do with it. I want that, but in digital format. That isn't going to happen in my lifetime, I'm sure. Eventually, maybe...the ease of 'cracking' any/all restrictions will get to the point where companies are just wasting money trying to 'protect' (re: restrict) the product.

Of course, BOTH would be the optimal choice. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Hiya!

--A.a) Format being ANY digital format I want: epub, mobi, PDF, RTF, odt, etc...
--A.b) Whatever format it is, it has ZERO restrictions on what I can do with it: I can delete text, remove art, save it to a backup drive/disk, etc...

B) After I purchase it, it NEVER 'checks back with the mothership': I don't have to be online to read it, open it, etc.

C) When I buy it I can "trade it in" for a different format later on: If I bought epub to read on my tablet, but a year later don't use my tablet (lost it, broke it, sold it, etc), I can go to the company and "change in" my licensed copy for a PDF.

D) The company puts actual effort into utilizing the format the way it can be: if an epub, different styles of text layout, colours, etc...if PDF, layers for easy disabling of background images, artwork, fancy boarders, ability to change text colour, typeface, and adding stuff in like hotlinks for key words, index, ToC, and to extra stuff on the net like audio tracks, video, etc.

E) Guarantee that I will ALWAYS have access to re-download my purchase...even if the company goes mammaries-up. I don't want some other company to come in and buy it, then say "No, no more. But here's our special-updated-fancy version you can buy at a discount!".

Ergo...I want a physical book I can do what I want with. I can copy pages, highlight, put sticky notes in, rip of the spine and spiral bind it myself, etc. It's mine. Forever (or as long as it lasts/doesn't get destroyed/lost, etc...kinda like "C" above, but without the changing it in for a new one part). Once I fork over my cash, the company has ZERO say in what I do with it. I want that, but in digital format. That isn't going to happen in my lifetime, I'm sure. Eventually, maybe...the ease of 'cracking' any/all restrictions will get to the point where companies are just wasting money trying to 'protect' (re: restrict) the product.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

C and E might seem an overreach in expectations given you cannot trade in a hardcover for a paperback and cannot cannot replace your copy of a book for free if you lose it, or it becomes damaged beyond reading, regardless if the company goes out of business or not. However, I do think if a company stays in business and you are on record with that company as having purchased an electronic format they sold you, that offering to freely replace it if lost or damaged seem like good business. The trading to a different format seems like a nice perk they should offer as well, provided they offer them anyway.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
I see more trepidation in this thread than enthusiasm, but rail on, my friend. Rail on . . .
Did you give your educated negative opinion the extra weight its due? Because, of the 30 individuals who have thus far posted, I count only a small handful who have made negative comments about the change.

Were you hoping you could drive the narrative?

Talk about railing on...

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Because, of the 30 individuals who have thus far posted, I count only a small handful who have made negative comments about the change.

At the point I jumped in, of those who weren't neutral on the subject or posting just regarding Leeds, most were expressing trepidation.

Were you hoping you could drive the narrative?

I was discussing a point of semantic gymnastics in their description of the new guy's experiences with the "brands." Someone else, however, seemed to be attempting to shout down and embarrass anyone who might express trepidation at the change. Would that be considered trying to drive the narrative? :)

DOOM AND GLOOM, gentlemen! DOOM AND GLOOM!!!!

Talk about railing on...

Indeed.

Join Date Sep 2015

Do you miss the boards over there? I'm not sure I got the chance to welcome you before. Can I get you a beverage?

Last edited by a moderator:

Oofta

Legend
I have to go back to the old trope. D&D the game is a drop in the bucket for Hasbro and WotC.

So this may not mean very much at all for D&D.

But then again a bull can break a lot of China with little effort, it may mean a lot.

Didn't you ever watch the "Bull in a China Shop" Mythbusters episode? The bulls were actually quite agile and didn't knock down a single thing. Odds are, nothing significant will change.

Tectuktitlay

Explorer
Hiya!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Umm, yeah. Every single digital book I own is mine, free and clear. The gaming ones are, yes, almost entirely PDFs. Sure. There are programs to convert them.

But...I'm not sure why you expect a company to make their products in every digital format. Do you also expect them to print every book in hardback, softback, spiral bound, 3-ring binder pages, landscape and portrait format of all of the above, black and white versions of all of the above, and in note card format? :p

But without exception, every single solitary digital book I own is mine. They are all stored on multiple computers, backed up on a cloud likely to continue to exist for a very, very long time (Google), and backed up on a removable solid state drive. Just like my important photographs, videos, etc. They're not going anywhere. It is very likely I will have them until I die, or until civilization collapses, whichever comes first.

Do you expect companies to replace your paper copy of a book if you lose it, or it gets damaged, too? I mean, it kind of is your responsibility to make sure you have back-up copies of all your digital books, which is very much akin to making sure you don't leave your paper book outside in the rain, accidentally leave it at a friends house and never figure out who it was, etc. And if something awful happens, like all my belongings are burned up in a housefire? I'll actually still have all my books, photos, videos, and other important documents. So, so, so worth the annual fee, for me, to have a large cloud storage capacity.

I do agree with you that companies need to avoid any digital books that require a proprietary reader, DRM, or worst of all going through a specific website to look at the product, or require you to register and get updates or you can't actually read your book. I get they don't want pirating, but frankly that will a) never stop, b) studies show pirating actually spend more money on average than non-pirates, which is itself utterly fascinating, and c) pirates actually pirate physical books into a PDF or ePub if a company refuses to make a digital version anyhow. So they're not bloody well stopping anything by not selling digital books, or by selling digital books with draconian DRM standards. Once I buy a damned digital book, it's mine and I'll do with it as I please.

And the thing is...as I said...every digital book I own, is mine. I don't own a single book that isn't straight-up mine, and safely backed up in multiple places.

Really, it kinda seems like you're holding digital books to a dramatically different standard than physical books.

Oh, and most of my digital books? I can actually make a copy to highlight and doodle notes into, make bookmarks, etc. Having a touchscreen tablet-laptop is pretty freaking awesome. :cool:

Physical books have their place. I like them just fine. Have owned more in my life than I can count, really. But moving to digital? Making sure each time I get a new book it's immediately copied to my PC, my laptop, and onto the cloud? Really fast, really easy, and my books are so much safer than my physical books ever were. It is extraordinarily unlikely I will ever lose them.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
At the point I jumped in, of those who weren't neutral on the subject or posting just regarding Leeds, most were expressing trepidation.
Interesting. Show me.

I was discussing a point of semantic gymnastics in their description of the new guy's experiences with the "brands."
You cited an opinion about a perceive bit of "semantic gymnastics", you mean... I believe that was addressed immediately following by at least one other. Are you still tying to establish some kind of fact that any "semantic gymnastics" ever occurred in the first place? You are quite determined. I'll give you kudos for that.

Someone else, however, seemed to be attempting to shout down and embarrass anyone who might express trepidation at the change. Would that be considered trying to drive the narrative? :)
Who might that be? Is there a long list? Can you narrow it down to just 2 or 3?

Humor or whit don't seem to be your strong suit. Were those not offered in any of the classes you took for those various degrees you have?

Do you miss the boards over there? I'm not sure I got the chance to welcome you before. Can I get you a beverage? An inflatable ring for your chair?
Ah yes. There it is again. Even more audacious elitism*. Does that ever get tiring?

How about this...

ChrisCarlson
Guide (Lvl 11)

For only having been here a little over 6 months I seem to be doing just fine for myself.

(*For someone marketing themselves in your own sig, do you find this type of behavior a selling point? How many customers do you think such shenanigans has earned you? Just curious? Also, do you sell anything 5e related? I didn't find anything at your linked site that indicated anything. Did I miss it? Or might you say that has something to do with your opinions around here regarding WotC?)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads