[All Editions] Dark Stalkers and Dark Creepers

Riley

Legend
Supporter
They featured prominently (paired with skulks) in the first adventure in the 3e Dungeon Magazine Shackled City adventure path.

(EDIT: missed fanboy2000's second-paragraph mention of that one.)

Wormwood

Adventurer
Dungeon Magazine spoiler
They pop up early in the Scales of War adventure path as well---and my players *hated* them by the time they were done with that section

Set

First Post
Seriously, Dark Creepers are my favorite Underdark race because none of the other ones (with the exception of Mind Flayers, my second favorite) are creepy enough and mysterious enough to provide campaign level secrets.

Ditto. Critters that have been neglected (comparatively) are way more fun to use as a DM, because you can do whatever the hell you want with them. Sometimes a blank slate monster is fun. It's like a gift to the GM who has the time and inclination to put his own flesh on those bare bones and make the critter his own.

And, if the GM doesn't that sort of time to putz around, he can just use the Drow, who are lovingly detailed. It's a win-win situation, with some races drawn in very fine detail to their last nose-hair and sadistic eye-twinkle, and others being just rough outlines, waiting for someone else to color them in.

Voadam

Legend
Looking back over every appearance they've had in the books that I own, they seem to have avoided any sort of fleshing out as far as cultural fluff or even motives besides yoinking stuff at night.

Have I just missed out on all of those details? Do they actually have a rich history in D&D?

Dragon 322 has Ecology of the Dark Ones.

Remove ads