D&D General Allegations of AI Usage Cause unnecessary Controversy

This is not where I intended this conversation to go but I am not complaining at all.

It’s getting extremely frustrating to see content on YouTube move from information and fun videos to people scrambling to be the ttrpg version of “EVERYTHING IS DOOM AND YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE YOUR EYES more at 11”

The thing is, the image in question has been out for weeks now, and no one has said a thing about it previously, as far as I'm aware, whereas the Bigby's pieces were fairly obvious and were pointed out within a day or two. Given that no one has said a thing about this particular piece, I can only conclude that he's using a well-known stick, one that's basically subjective and not easy to prove or disprove, to beat WotC with just to drive viewership via clickbait.

These clickbait drama llamas on YouTube are starting to get really annoying. They're everywhere now. You can always tell them by the hyperbolic headlines and video thumbnails with arrows and big accusatory text on them.
Even of the conclusion is "no" probably not. The clicks and the damage are done.

Even though indestructoboy was right back then, I really don't like his style.

darjr

I crit!
Magus on Discord posts this. I'll find the twitter link.

Looks like the answer is no, he didn't even know who it was. And DMRawlings points out artstation IS social media.

1702916757207.png

tomedunn

Explorer
The AI checker used in that video, by the designer's own admission, is bad at detecting this kind of art. From thier most recent blog update.
However, as we will discuss in more detail in the Known Problems, these numbers need not match the actual experience of the users. This is because our current collected dataset does not cover the diverse styles and tools of the human artists, the detector currently tends to pick up some of the drawing tools, e.g. automated brushes, as artifacts coming from an AI generator.
Meaning, art that uses automated tool, such as brush tools used by some professional digital artists, will have a high false positive rate.

I would also point out this false positive that I was able to dig up from the 2014 Player's Handbook after just a few minutes of searching.

Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 10.18.30 AM.png

If I had to guess, the automated brush tool used to generate the background is likely what's triggering the high score, despite this art being produced nearly a decade before AI art tools were commercially available.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Magus on Discord posts this. I'll find the twitter link.

Looks like the answer is no, he didn't even know who it was. And DMRawlings points out artstation IS social media.

View attachment 340502
The "journalist" Taron, doesn't know how to use a top five social media platform

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Did he reach out to the artist?

Of course not! That would require work, and actual, you know, research and journalism-like substance.

Whereas he can get all the sweet outrage clicks without having to worry about it.

Absolute worst-case scenario for the youtuber is that he gets to make another video with a non-apology explaining why he wasn't, you know, really wrong, and can generate more clicks with it.

Remove ads