• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Allowing a whip to threaten squares

psionotic

Hey-Lo,

A char in my campaign is aspiring to the Lasher PrC. As missile weapons, whips provoke an AoO to use one if you are being threatened. Also, you technically wouldn't be able to threaten other squares like you could with a pike.

On the other hand, the spiked chain, a somewhat similar weapon, is a melee weapon that can be used to threaten enemy squares.

I am considering allowing the whip to threaten at its extremity (15', but not 5 or 10). I would still consider it a missile weapon in regards to provoking AoOs for its use when threatened, and the firing into melee rules.

Any good reason why I should not allow this? Thanks for your opinionsss..

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
well drawing and cracking a whip is much more difficult to do than throwing around a spiked chain or a pike.

I think the time it takes someone to knock and fire a bow that is the same amount of time it takes to draw and crack the whip.

i would allow it to threaten the 15' but not be subject to abuse with combat reflexes and only one AoO per round..

Dremen

First Post
I would not have a problem with it. I have seen some skilled people with whips and they make it dance and dance fast!. They can also hit with incredible accuracy. I have been on stage during a demonstration. I held a few pieces of spagetti with duct tape marikng out 1 inch sections. The guy was able to hit them with in an inch and very quickly.

I sifu also uses a whip and can strike targets in nearly any direction with a flick of his wrist.

WotC does not due much weapons research.

-S

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm playing a cleric 5 - rogue 5 - lasher 2, and I think that lashers are extremely well balanced as is. Think of this: allowing sneak attacks at the 15' range opens up 24 threatened squares (compared to 8 normally), and allows him to do a pretty good job of controlling the battlefield. Personally, I wouldn't change it; just because his weapon can reach those squares doesn't mean he can threaten them.

I also see tremendous potential for abuse. Combat reflexes, for one, and if I was powergaming I'd suggest one level of psychic warrior and the stand still feat.

Last edited:

NPC

First Post
I agree with PirateCat. I think the potential for abuse is pretty high if you allow him to threaten so far away.

I'd stick to the PrC as written.

reapersaurus

Explorer
Leopold said:
well drawing and cracking a whip is much more difficult to do than throwing around a spiked chain...
How do you figure?

Personally, I figure that it would be easier to flick your wrist and snap someone within 15' than to whip your entire body and arms around with this big heavy awkward unwieldy spiked chain and heave it at someone 10' away (while somehow trying to hold onto one end of the thing AND not kill yourself in the process).

Last edited:

Shard O'Glase

First Post
which reminds me of a slightly off tanget thing I noticed recently. In the evequest rpg they have a new picture of the spiked chain and it isn't nearly as silly looking as the ph version. It looks more like a spike on a chain with some sharp protrusions here and there, than some overly thick chain, with spikes all over the place. Maybe someone with soem computer skills and the everquest rpg could post apicture of it someplace but that is my version of the spiked chain in all the games I run from now on.

Ruavel

First Post
the Lasher PrC...

I have to put my 'tick' next to the "I support Piratecat" box...

my partner is currently playing a Lasher (Ftr4/Rog3/Lasher4) in a campaign I run...

before she took the class we had to 'nut out' the same sort of issues that have been brought up here... and in the end we decided to play the Lasher and the whip/whip-dagger according to the rules as they are written (or as we have interpretted their intention - see the flanking issue brought up in another thread)...

in that campaign her Lasher is by far the most combat-effective character (much to the envy of the pure fighter) without the AoO's being available through all 15ft of the whip's range...

I'd say, play the rules as they are... your player will not be disappointed with the Lasher as it is written and without any alterations to the rules...

just my thoughts on the matter...

:)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Yup. Lasher with a base of rogue is especially impressive; get turned improved invisible, and a well designed 4th lvl lasher is getting up to 4 attacks a round (crack of fate stacks with rapid shot for two extra attacks, and you probably get two ititerative attacks at that point) with sneak attack damage on each attack. That adds up quickly, even if you decide not to take the extra attacks because of the penalty.

Ruavel's advice seems good; try the rules as written, and tweak as needed after trying them for a few months.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads