• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Alternate Magic System

sammyp03

Villager
I am not a fan of the 5e base magic system. It is a good system. easy to use, relatively balanced. It how ever does not capture the feel I am going for in my homebrew world. Does anyone know of an alternate system? Or can anyone maybe help me better fit the base system to my world?

corwyn77

Adventurer
I am not a fan of the 5e base magic system. It is a good system. easy to use, relatively balanced. It how ever does not capture the feel I am going for in my homebrew world. Does anyone know of an alternate system? Or can anyone maybe help me better fit the base system to my world?

What exactly don't you like about it? Vancian magic? The spells themselves?

Horwath

Legend
Personally, I would like to be just a magic user(mage), clerics would be paladins and bards would be reworked as half casters.

Then with subclasses can be worked out as White mage(healer), Black mage(necromancer), elementalist/invoker, conjururer/summoner, green mage(druid), mindbender(illusionist/enchanter), kineticist, antimage/abjurer, etc...

All could learn all spells, but they would learn them as wizards now via spell book.

Sub class features at 1st,2nd,6th,10th,14th,18th and 20th level should be enough to make them a lot different from eachother. Also with free bonus spell depending on sublclass and spells chosen by character.

sammyp03

Villager
Personally, I would like to be just a magic user(mage), clerics would be paladins and bards would be reworked as half casters.

Then with subclasses can be worked out as White mage(healer), Black mage(necromancer), elementalist/invoker, conjururer/summoner, green mage(druid), mindbender(illusionist/enchanter), kineticist, antimage/abjurer, etc...

All could learn all spells, but they would learn them as wizards now via spell book.

Sub class features at 1st,2nd,6th,10th,14th,18th and 20th level should be enough to make them a lot different from eachother. Also with free bonus spell depending on sublclass and spells chosen by character.

Hmmm interesting idea. I actually came across a homebrew magic system. Mind if I share it with you and gets your thoughts on it?

Raith5

Adventurer
The vancian yes. I am also not a fan of the Arcane Divine separation.

Isnt this separation really a matter of flavour, or is it a question of the different mechanics/memorisation rules of the two? I once ran a campaign where clerics learned their magic from scrolls particular to each faith because I didnt like the idea of clerics having a personal connection with their deities.

My biggest problem with D&D over the editions is that their is no pathway through/connections the various spells. I have always had problems with the idea that a wizard can learn fireball without learning burning hands. I quite like the idea of system where you learn a stream of related spells, from say firebolt right through to meteor strike (which require a caster level), rather than levels of spells.

corwyn77

Adventurer
Isnt this separation really a matter of flavour, or is it a question of the different mechanics/memorisation rules of the two? I once ran a campaign where clerics learned their magic from scrolls particular to each faith because I didnt like the idea of clerics having a personal connection with their deities.

My biggest problem with D&D over the editions is that their is no pathway through/connections the various spells. I have always had problems with the idea that a wizard can learn fireball without learning burning hands. I quite like the idea of system where you learn a stream of related spells, from say firebolt right through to meteor strike (which require a caster level), rather than levels of spells.

Well, the vanilla GURPS magic system uses a series of prerequisite spells in each school. <ducks>

Roadkill101

Explorer
I'm not a fan of the Vancian inspired magic system inherent in throughout the various permutations of the D&D game. So for my home-rules, I've replaced it with a point-buy system. One where characters make up their own spell effects and the strength of the desired effect has an associated cost. IME point buy magic systems aren't necessarily a popular style of system especially when comparing it to the feel of D&D, but I find for my purposes they are very good for fluff purposes (especially for differentiating between different types of magic).

If I had to go with a magic system of the various D&D incarnations I do like, I'd have to go with 5e. It seems to me, that it has several reinterpretations of the originally presented Vancian system, which I find more fun when differentiating between magic using classes.

Remove ads