• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate Race Ideas

Maximillian

First Post
Alright, maybe I'm reaching here, and I'm sure you'll all give me hell for this, but I think that humans are just flat out BETTER than the other races. Say what you will, but when my group sits down to min-max a few 10th level characters (and, yes, we do that from time to time), humans get more use than any other race. The extra feat is what does it. Unless you're trying to create a character with an absurd ability (i.e. a huge dexterity), the extra feat outweighs everything else.

You can say what you will about roleplaying, and making the character you want to play more than the best character, but I am a firm believer in this: If all the options are equally weighted, no one is punished for playing the character they really really want to play.

Bearing all this in mind, I have a system I'd like to suggest for races. Two things:

1) All characters have a race.
2) All characters have a background.

Race: This is a concept we're all familiar with. Each race will have a few abilities (i.e. skill bonuses, ability modifiers, different vision modes).

Background: This is new, though not entirely original. Each background describes the culture in which individual was raised. It will generally allow the character to consider a few skills to be class skills regardless of what class she eventually takes. It will also give the individual one feat.

So, that said, here are some ideas. Note that the combination of any race with any background creates a sort of subrace. I've also omitted half breeds, just because I felt like it. Consider this a draft. Feel free to post opinions or more ideas, or to go ahead and yell at me about role playing, or how things are already balanced. I'm tough. I can take it. Oh, and if you have a suggestion for how to handle favored classes, I'd like one.

Races:

Human: +2 bonus to any one skill, +2 bonus to climb checks, one free language (Humans are versatile, have an evolutionary history which is arboreal, and lack a common tongue)
Dwarf: +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma, 60' Darkvision, +2 Bonus to saves versus Poison and Spell effects. (Dwarves are hardy, spell resistant, and born to live in the dark, but they suffer from weak personalities)
Elf: +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Spot/Listen/Search, Low-Light Vision (Elves are lithe, and very in tune with their surroundings, but they have comparably frail bodies)
Gnome: +2 Constitution, -2 Strength, Small Size, Low Light Vision, +2 Listen and Alchemy, Native Illusion Spells. (Gnomes are hardy, though small and weak, but their natural magical talents, keen ears and powerful olfactory senses make up for this.)
Halfling: +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, Small Size, +2 to saves against fear, +2 to listen, climb, jump and move silently. (Halflings are athletic and fearless, though small.)
Lizard Man: (Just for Variety) +4 to Swim and Climb checks, Able to hold breath for a number of rounds equal to 25 times constitution score, +2 Natural Armor bonus

Backgrounds:

Rural Village: Bonus Class Skills: Handle Animal, Ride, Knowledge(agriculture); Bonus Feat: Endurance
Urban: Bonus Class Skills: Knowledge(Local), Profession(Any One), Speak Language; Bonus Feat: Skill Focus(Any)
Militaristic Nation: Bonus Class Skills: Knowledge(Warfare), Climb, Swim; Bonus Feat: Martial Weapon Proficiency(Any One), or Weapon Focus(Any One, if prerequisites are met)
Unsettled Lands: Bonus Class Skills: Wilderness Lore, Intuit Direction, Knowledge(Nature); Bonus Feat: Alertness
Nomadic Culture: Bonus Class Skills: Ride, Intuit Direction, Spot; Bonus Feat: Mounted Combat

Ideas for Backgrounds from non-human races: If raised in culture of a particular race, character receives all bonuses from player's handbook not listed as part of racial "package" above.

I've been working on something similar that I've been calling a "background template". Seafaring, Urban, Poverty, Aristocratic, Barbarian, Desert, various racial communities. Probably a choice a feat from a list of two or three, skill bonuses, and some starting equipment.

Mordane76

First Post
Why is this shafting humans? These sound a lot like Occupations from d20 Modern, and could work more or less like those. Humans shouldn't feel the "shaft" because these.

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Mordane76 said:
Why is this shafting humans? These sound a lot like Occupations from d20 Modern, and could work more or less like those. Humans shouldn't feel the "shaft" because these.

Human: +2 bonus to any one skill, +2 bonus to climb checks, one free language

Dwarf: +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma, 60' Darkvision, +2 Bonus to saves versus Poison and Spell effects.

Six skill points is worth a +2 Con, darkvision and a +2 bonus to saves vs. poison and spells? I'd trade darkvision alone for a lousy +2 climb checks, Skill Focus (+2) and one free language (2 skill points).
My point is that humans should still recieve the +1 skill points per level and the extra feat.

Mordane76

First Post
I agree with you there, ConcreteBuddha -- if this is going to be a "background" thing, I think that the feat/skill points are part of the human racial package, not due to their background; in the fantasy world, humans are the versatile ones -- they don't have the long life, innate magical abilities, or other bells and whistles of the other humanoids. If you're going to add something like this, Maximillian, humans shouldn't lose their +4 SP at first level, their +1 SP per level, or their extra feat at 1st.

Maximillian

First Post
Meant to come back to this sooner, but, things happen.

What I've noticed is that Humans get more play because of the feat and skill points. What I'm trying to do is to bring them back in line. I've attempted to feed the feat into the backgrounds... what I've done, accidentally, however, is neglected to make up for that by toning down the other races...

That would, theoretically, fix things, though, right?

Remove ads