Alternate systems suggestions to play in the world of Harn

Crazymajor

Villager
The simplest BRP version to adapt to Harn would be Cthulhu Dark Ages, which has the medievalism baked in.

The default setting for OpenQuest is a pseudo-Carolingian empire which would also work.

The generic BRP rules have just been published in a tidied up edition under the ORC licence.

Other systems include Chronica Feudalis, Codex Martialis or Maelstrom Domesday.

It’s not as if the world lacks decent rules for pseudo-medieval settings!

I've actually thought about Cthulhu Dark Ages. But I wondered how tied in certain core mechanics like sanity or things like it, that wouldn't make sense in my game, would work. Like could I just completely ignore them without breaking things?

aramis erak

Legend
The simplest BRP version to adapt to Harn would be Cthulhu Dark Ages, which has the medievalism baked in.

The default setting for OpenQuest is a pseudo-Carolingian empire which would also work.

The generic BRP rules have just been published in a tidied up edition under the ORC licence.

Other systems include Chronica Feudalis, Codex Martialis or Maelstrom Domesday.

It’s not as if the world lacks decent rules for pseudo-medieval settings!
Chronica Feudalis is interesting, but if transitioning from many trad games, the odds are going to be a potential problem. Moreover, there's a GMing mindset I wasn't ready to switch to when running it, and it flopped with my group at the time.

For D&D players, or for that matter, many traditional games' players, the lack of attributes and only skill/aspect/tools step dice dice pool is going to be rather unfamiliar.

SJB

Explorer
I've actually thought about Cthulhu Dark Ages. But I wondered how tied in certain core mechanics like sanity or things like it, that wouldn't make sense in my game, would work. Like could I just completely ignore them without breaking things?
Plenty of good suggestions already.

However, there’s no need to use Sanity at all for Harn. It’s sandwiched between “war engines” and “vessels” in the rules, and is probably less useful than either. Monster stat blocks have it as their last line and it can be ignored.

I recently GM'd a campaign of 43 sessions in Harn. I used Zweihander, and changed the barbarians to beastmen ala War Hammer. Added Skaven, because they are always useful. My players loved it, still talk about it.

Because Zwei is a deadly system, the players were motivated to work on non-violent solutions, although there was ample combat. A low-power system really let me exploit the depth of the feudal system, Harn's unmatched level of detail, and player ambitions.

I ran the Kaldor succession (modified) as part of the campaign.

The vast amount of fan-generated free material available online really makes it an easy campaign to build.

Crazymajor

Villager
I recently GM'd a campaign of 43 sessions in Harn. I used Zweihander, and changed the barbarians to beastmen ala War Hammer. Added Skaven, because they are always useful. My players loved it, still talk about it.

Because Zwei is a deadly system, the players were motivated to work on non-violent solutions, although there was ample combat. A low-power system really let me exploit the depth of the feudal system, Harn's unmatched level of detail, and player ambitions.

I ran the Kaldor succession (modified) as part of the campaign.

The vast amount of fan-generated free material available online really makes it an easy campaign to build.
Since you've run Zweihander, I'm going under the assumption you've played Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay as well? If so, would you say Zwei is significantly better then WFRP? Or at least what are the major differences?

Remove ads