• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate use of Second Wind

Verision

First Post
I think I would make the PCs use a healing surge for each Encounter ability.
The reason behind this is that I've found my players don't ever spend their entire allotment of healing surges in a day. They can only spend 1 each encounter (so that's 4-5 in a day) and they never spend them outside an encounter unless they are really hurt (they usually just rest for closer to 20-30mins and just let the Cleric continuously use his healing word to heal them).
I think this would also help balance the ability at higher levels when the PCs will have more Encounter abilities.

Verision

First Post
You can use one through Second Wind every encounter, but you can spend them in other ways in response to other powers, so in challenging encounters you may spend 2-3 or more, particularly at higher levels.

That's true. I've been corrected.

Still, I've played 3 sessions of 4e so far and I don't think any of my PCs have used all (or even close to all) their healing surges in a day even once yet.

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
That's true. I've been corrected.

Still, I've played 3 sessions of 4e so far and I don't think any of my PCs have used all (or even close to all) their healing surges in a day even once yet.

The number you use is fairly dependent on your level and the encounters' level(s). From what I've seen, if you're lower than about level 6 and face equal-level encounters, you probably will use only 1 surge per encounter. As APL (average party level) increases, you'll start using more--around 1-2 for high heroic and 3-4 for low paragon are my party's averages so far, though my players are a bit paranoid and like to use their surges earlier rather than later--and making encounters at even APL+2 (like the infamous KotS fights) can use up significant numbers of surges very fast.

Last edited:

Bayonet_Chris

First Post
APL encounters

See, I find that encounters set for APL are not a challenge. My players regularly rip through encounters scaled at APL+1 and above, so I have to find ways to push them.

For example, I have three encounters planned for the day (modified KOTS)

The first was the kobold ambush: 5 lvl 1 players vs. 750 XP (APL+2). It was originally a 625 XP encounter with an ambush, but two of the players detected it in time. They turned the tables quickly (Wizard used daily to stop the Dragon Shields in their tracks) and I ended up throwing in an extra dragonshield just to give them a fight. Didn't matter.

Kobold Lair (outside ) - 6 lvl 1 players (everyone there) vs. 700 XP (~ APL+1). The wizard got roughed up a bit, but they still aren't heavily taxed. The players had a bit of surprise here, but again a daily power (the warlock, who rolled three 10s on his damage against the Wyrm Priest) turned a tough encounter into a bit of a laugher.

They're going into the lair on Thursday - 6 lvl 1 vs. 1250 XP (~APL+4). I've changed the encounter to include an elite wyrm priest and a black dragon (the new irontooth) because a couple of them have played this encounter before. They all have a reasonable amount of healing surges left, just got an action point for the milestone, and they're only down 2 of their 6 available dailies (the wizard used his in the ambush, the warlock used his outside the lair). I suppose I could bump it up to APL+5 (1500 XP) and see how they handle it. It would be fun to see.

Remove ads