• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternative to Discord for video chat & conversation threads/content sharing?

Juxtapozbliss

Explorer
I'm a Gamemaster for my hometeam and separately for a pro game on StartPlaying.games. I've been paying for Discord with multiple Nitro levels--you have to get 7 Boosts in order to get upgraded streaming quality. From 720p to 1080p and the audio quality goes up from 128kbps to 256bps...so double the sound quality at 7 boosts. There are a couple other benefits but sound and video quality are the most important aspects for me.

Problem is...at this level, it's ridiculously expensive. Getting 7 Nitro Boosts ends up costing $312/year and I just got an email it went up and will be close to $350. Straw that broke the camel's back, I need an alternative. Here's what I need it for:

• Video and audio chat during live games with good quality sound and video (see above)
  • Ability to resize video windows/groups so they don't take up a full screen--with Discord, you can "pop out" the video windows and then size them into a small stack, which is convenient.
  • Text and image chat during game to drop images or videos during the game session.
  • Separate/multiple chat threads that are persistent, don't wipe out after logging out and can be locked to different permissions--so for example, I can have one thread which is for only the members of my hometeam, and a different one only for my paid team and another thread that is a whisper chat for one player. And i can rename threads too, such as "Recap thread" etc
Does anyone have any suggestions of what is more affordable than $350/year but also features these capabilities? Thanks for your advice.

Remove ads