• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Am I the only one disappointed with Alias this season? *Now with more complaints!*

John Crichton

First Post
Staffan said:
It was pretty good, but I can't help thinking it should have been called "La Femme Nadia."
Yeah, I pretty much thought the same thing. Not an original story by any means but it was done well. I was kinda shocked that she could look so convincingly young. *checks imDb* Ah, she is 26. Not so shocked now.

Wycen

Explorer
John Crichton said:
- Sloan and Jack in general. Jack's "do whatever it takes" methods and Sloan's super smarmy evilocity need to be in every ep.

If they did a spin off with just Jack, I'd dump my game night in a second.

John Crichton

First Post
Wycen said:
If they did a spin off with just Jack, I'd dump my game night in a second.
Now, there's an idea!

The best thing is that you know we'd be treated to a bunch of younger Jack flashbacks to when he was younger and presumably more ruthless. And there would have to be lots of Sloan in there as well considering their long history. I am really starting to think that Jack may be the smartest character on the show and he pretty much would have to be to produce a daughter who is supposed to be the crown jewel of US black ops and the best spy in the world. Sloan is just the greedier man.

Just as with Smallville and Lex/Lionel this show really shines when its bad boys are onscreen. Syd's character could benefit from a little more darkness I think.

Arnwyn

First Post
I, as other posters, am less than impressed with this season (I didn't like Season 3 much, but at least it had the Rambaldi storyline).

I'd say a bunch of stuff, by John Crichton's post above just about summed up exactly how I feel (but I'll add an even quicker summary: "More Rambaldi, more Sark (& Anna), more Marshall, more Weiss, more Jack, less Vaughn").

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
And less angst. I've never been a fan of the soap opera aspects of Alias, but they
haven't really turned me off because they've balanced the angst pretty well with
levity and lightheartedness.

We only have angst now. I hate angst.

takyris

First Post
There's a particular writing problem that I intensely dislike, and I've seen it in the few eps I've watched this season (I haven't seen many, because the wife only wants one show put on the Tivo list, as opposed to the ten or fifteen I have, and that one show conflicts with the new Wednesday timeslot). The problem is a writing problem -- when a writer confuses explaining the problem with solving the problem.

I had this problem with a writer in a writing group. We'd read his novel, and in the crit, we'd all say, "You said in your synopsis that Amelda was strong and confident, but all she does for the entire novel is cry and whine. She never actually does anything strong and confident." And then later we'd see his rewrite, which was exactly the same, except for a scene he added in which Amelda says to someone, "I can't understand why I'm acting like this. I'm usually so strong and confident, but lately, all I seem to do is cry," and the other character says, "No, no, you're really strong to get this far. Your confidence inspires me," and apparently that's supposed to solve the problem.

But you don't solve the problem by having the characters call attention to the fact that there's a problem and then just shrug and say, "Well, I guess we have no choice." And that's what it seems like Syd has been doing on multiple levels.

It's certainly possible that this is going to turn out to have some really cool twist, but right now, it looks lame. It looks like Abrams is trying to have all the characters say "Yeah, I can't believe we're working for Sloane again -- but gosh, there's no way around it, I guess that's what we have to do," as his handwaved attempt to fool the viewers into believing that this is something the Sydney from earlier seasons would ever have done.

Maniac

Explorer
Sorry if this is bad form but I did not want to start another thread.

I watched season 1 and 2 and pretty much missed all of 3.
I assume they explain some of what happened during the 3 year jump what I want to know is what happened t Syd?
Also, do they explain why/how Sloane became good?

Thanks.

M.

John Crichton

First Post
takyris said:
It's certainly possible that this is going to turn out to have some really cool twist, but right now, it looks lame. It looks like Abrams is trying to have all the characters say "Yeah, I can't believe we're working for Sloane again -- but gosh, there's no way around it, I guess that's what we have to do," as his handwaved attempt to fool the viewers into believing that this is something the Sydney from earlier seasons would ever have done.
Hmm. Not a bad point but I think the writers have done an okay job of explaining why the characters (esp Dixon & Syd) are back working for Sloan. They are there as watchdogs and countermeasures if need be. Actually, I can't see the characters not being there and working with him. Both want to see him taken down and have been wrapped up with him for so long that it has to be hard to get away from it.

I have much more of an issue with the lack of a powerful villain/organization and some of the individual eps lacking punch than people actually working for Sloan again.

Besides, Jack is doing it and he seems to have no issues with it. ;)

John Crichton

First Post
Maniac said:
Sorry if this is bad form but I did not want to start another thread.

I watched season 1 and 2 and pretty much missed all of 3.
I assume they explain some of what happened during the 3 year jump what I want to know is what happened t Syd?
Also, do they explain why/how Sloane became good?

Thanks.

M.
It's ok to start another thread asking to be spoiled. Just because it's a question about the show doesn't mean that a show/movie/book can't have 2 threads going on at once. :)

I would do a google.com search first for an ep by ep synopsis (I'm sure there are plenty out there) or start another thread. I would rather not derail this discussion if that's ok.

Remove ads