AMA with Monte Cook (Numenera, D&D, Monte Cook Games, Malhavoc Press)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurpsgm

Explorer
Would you consider adding anything to Numenera or The Strange from your Ptolus book?

I haven't got a chance to look at the Cypher System Rulebook. Do you consider it to be almost required reading for those who are already using Cyper for Numerera or The Strange?

I was one of the many who helped you achieve as much as you did (fantabulous!) for the Numenera Boxed Set. Are there any books that you've done for Numenera that I should consider for adding to it?

BTW, just for giggles, do you own any pets?

Bruce Gray
gurpsgm

jhosmer1

Explorer
Love your work, and I'm now running a second campaign in Ptolus, 100 years after the first one with the descendants of the Heroes from the first campaign. Ptolus has been really valuable to me. I've also been throwing in some "cyphers" into that game, as my players love powerful one-shot stuff.

My question has to do with the Cypher system, specifically Effort. I've been playing around with eliminating it, so that players can spend however many points they want to succeed at a task. I thought that if they want something badly enough, they can get it, though it might leave them without points for something else further down the line.

(I replaced the Effort part of leveling to the next tier with spending 4 XP to create a long-term benefit/story hook.)

I was wondering if this could lead to unintended consequences, however, so I would value your thoughts on the Effort mechanic. Is it just something to simulate a less-experienced hero at the start of their career, or is there more to it?

G2k15

First Post
Dear Mister Cook, I cannot even begin to thank you enough for all the fun you provided me with the 3.0 Book of Vile Darkness, the many disciples, and thralls Prc just gave unlimited pleasure, especially the disciple of Dispater back when it got out.

I would like know if you will be working on a future 5e version of the said book, as well as 5e version of Planescape,Darksun, F-R, and of course Ravenloft ?

Thanks for your time,

A fan from Québec,

M.Cyr

Lucas Yew

Explorer
Okay, straight to what really puzzled me on the thoughts of a top pro designer;

What do you think of the so-called "Linear Fighters Quadratic Wizards" problem, that has been ravaging the Internet for at most around 4 decades?

killem2

Explorer
Hey There Sir,

Why don't we see a lot of evil driven campaigns? Is it really because people like being the hero or goodie-two-shoes?

My current group is going to start book 2 of way of the wicked in a month and I can tell you, it will be sad when all of them are done. I don't think any of us have had this much fun with D&D/Path.

Hi Monte!

Is the Earth from Numenera about the same size as the Earth from now?

Somebody made a 3D map on the google+ forums and remarked the Earth from Numenera was considerably larger.

Dahak

Explorer
Do you have the rights to do Cypher System versions of Malhavoc products, such as Ptolus and the setting from Arcana Unleashed? If so, do you plan to do them?

pming

Legend
Hiya!

My Q: What are the chances of you doing a 5e version of Arcana Unearthed? I really like the classes (and races) and their feel. They all have a sort of "serious fantasy" vibe to them, whereas the standard D&D classes (any edition) have a much more "Saturday morning cartoon" type of vibe to them. I guess I sort of see AU as the "adult version" of the D&D classes. I'd love to see the classes in particular done up fully (not just archtypes)...preferably without resorting to using Feats to accomplish; much rather have the focus on hard-coded class abilities that 'feats'.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads