Amazon has been sued due to introducing Ads

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

I think back on Saturday I saw a headline calling that ad the GOAT of super bowl ads
Folks still talking about it unlike puppymonkeynaby
super bowl 2016 dancing GIF by Mountain Dew

Osgood

Adventurer
Maybe I'm from Mars, but is anyone else (1) in the habit of ignoring ads, (2) dis-inclined to buy from online ads that pierce their awareness?
yes and no. I generally ignore the terrible ads on most websites and skip the ones before a video whenever possible, and yes I will actively avoid a lot of products/companies because of these ads.
But l feel like it’s largely because ads these days are lazy and awful. I remember actually liking plenty of commercials when I was younger and ad free TV wasn’t really a thing. It just doesn’t seem like advertisers are actually trying anymore (perhaps because they know people aren‘t paying attention… but is that because their ads suck).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Maybe I'm from Mars, but is anyone else (1) in the habit of ignoring ads, (2) dis-inclined to buy from online ads that pierce their awareness?

I find very very few ads to be of use. When I need to buy something I do some queries and figure out what to get. Ads and search placement are huge noise barriers for my purchases.

Ok, maybe I'm from Mars, anyways.

TomB
Everybody claims they’re immune to ads. Nobody is immune to ads.

That’s why advertising works. If everybody who claimed to be immune to ads was immune to ads, there would be no ads. So we all sit here boasting about how we ignore all ads, and the advertisers giggle.

So don’t worry. You’re not special. :)

Clint_L

Hero

That’s why advertising works. If everybody who claimed to be immune to ads was immune to ads, there would be no ads. So we all sit here boasting about how we ignore all ads, and the advertisers giggle.

This. Advertising works. There's a reason it's a massive industry: it makes a lot of money.

For those who are interested, there is a huge canon of literature explaining exactly how and why advertising works, and why no one is immune. If you think you're ignoring ads, you're just wrong.

tomBitonti

Adventurer

But, can I still be from Mars? 🤔
TomB

Remove ads