Amazon's LotR show - first look

Not Valimar. Tirion. This picture (probably) shows the Calacirya, with the Pelori mountains flanking the hill of Túna and the city of Tirion. The Two Trees seem to be in the background.
Yes, Tirion makes more sense.

I recently read (on Reddit, uncorroborated, so take it for what it's worth) that the Tolkien estate has relaxed its permissions to allow for the inclusion of First Age stuff.

Rune

Once A Fool
Yes, Tirion makes more sense.

I recently read (on Reddit, uncorroborated, so take it for what it's worth) that the Tolkien estate has relaxed its permissions to allow for the inclusion of First Age stuff.
It would be more accurate to say that Amazon paid the Tolkien Estate half a billion dollars to negotiate a new license, the details of which are as of yet unknown to outside parties. If what we are seeing actually are the Trees while they live*, then that license must include at least a little from the First Age (or, technically, the time before it).

* The Tolkien Professor makes a pretty compelling argument in this video why that might not be true. Even more compelling when folk start analyzing the high-res picture later in the video. A warning: the video is a pretty lengthy conversation.

It would be more accurate to say that Amazon paid the Tolkien Estate half a billion dollars to negotiate a new license, the details of which are as of yet unknown to outside parties. If what we are seeing actually are the Trees while they live*, then that license must include at least a little from the First Age (or, technically, the time before it).

* The Tolkien Professor makes a pretty compelling argument in this video why that might not be true. Even more compelling when folk start analyzing the high-res picture later in the video. A warning: the video is a pretty lengthy conversation.
The argument - that the Trees are dead and Earendil is looking at the setting sun - is definitely an interesting one.

I have to say that if I were making a series about the Second Age with unlimited funds I'd start with the War of Wrath as backstory, in much the same way as Jackson's LoTR starts with the Last Alliance and have Cate Blanchett narrate.

Have lots of Balrogs, Ancalagon the Black, the breaking of Thangorodrim; Sauron submitting to Eonwe and then balking.

Middle Earth could be heading to Middle England.
Lord of the Rings: Amazon moves show to UK from New Zealand
It will look like this then.
1628849799451.png

Remove ads