• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

American Idol-sheesh!

Sirius_Black

First Post
NeoSamurai said:
It's no different when New Kids on the Block were popular and when the most recent boy bands had collective power.

Beware, one of those boy bands from the 80s is coming back, new and improved. Get ready to rock with Menudo once again.

Kesh

First Post
Keep in mind, folks, that Hawaii has a population of about 1 million. It's true that Jasmine is big news here, but I'd still be surprised if more than 1/3 of the people here are actually voting for her.

So, that means that there has to be a lot of people in the rest of the country voting for her to keep this going.

Dimwhit

Explorer
Kesh said:
Keep in mind, folks, that Hawaii has a population of about 1 million. It's true that Jasmine is big news here, but I'd still be surprised if more than 1/3 of the people here are actually voting for her.

So, that means that there has to be a lot of people in the rest of the country voting for her to keep this going.

I read an article that the night of Idol, Hawaii generated about 1.2 million votes. Don't know how accurate that number is, but it said more votes came from Hawaii than New Jersey. (Not sure why they compared it with N.J., but there it is.)

EDIT: Here's an interesting article on the matter.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Brown Jenkin said:
But the boy bands were mostly 20 year olds. Now Menudo, there was a real boy band.
Gawd. I hate Menudo! Growing with girls fawning for them in high school makes me want to put cherry bombs in their restrooms.

Unfortunately, that would've pissed off my dad who once worked there, albeit a custodian.

Now, The New Edition is the boy band I can respect ... that is until Bobby Brown decided not to grow up.

P.S. Tears or no tears, no one talks to our local girl like that, not even Simon. Aloha! :]

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
You know, I just really don't like this season much. I was thinking about why as I read through this thread, and here's my thoughts.

The first season was purely the novelty factor. I didn't even watch a good deal of it, but I fully expected it to end up the way it did.

The second season was great because there were a bunch of singers that broke the standard kiddie-pop mold, and it always seemed like I was rooting for an underdog. There was a ton of personality last season too.

This season though has just been terribly bland. Last year's top three would have destroyed these girls. Hell, Justin and Kelly would have put up a good fight, I think. They just don't seem to have the overall talent or the interesting personality to be anything more than unremarkable. Even in the top twelve, there wasn't much... George Huff was interesting but definitely not cut out for the pop scene, and neither was the "pen salesman" guy whose name I can't remember. Everyone else just seemed homogenous.

Ranger REG

Explorer
LightPhoenix said:
This season though has just been terribly bland. Last year's top three would have destroyed these girls. Hell, Justin and Kelly would have put up a good fight, I think. They just don't seem to have the overall talent or the interesting personality to be anything more than unremarkable. Even in the top twelve, there wasn't much... George Huff was interesting but definitely not cut out for the pop scene, and neither was the "pen salesman" guy whose name I can't remember. Everyone else just seemed homogenous.
What is it with the pen salesman being in the competition? Had Bob Dylan become a guest judge earlier in the competition, he would be rooting for the pen salesman. Of course, how much credibility Bob Dylan have for critiquing someone else's musical performance is beyond my imagination.

As for the high school kid who prefers big band Frank Sinatra type music (for you young'uns, the kind of music Michael Buble sang on his CD), as much as I want to root for him, for some reasons I want to check his pulse every time he sing. He's a good singer but he's holding back his emotion and energy that would have made his performance more livelier.

Mystery Man

First Post
Jasmine...

And she's gone. As far as looks go none of the other girls could hold a candle to her. Let's see if she can make a career for herself and wish her the best. Show's pretty much over for me I think. :\

NeoSamurai

First Post
Did you guys notice how inconsistent the three judges are with their comments?

Paula on Jasmine: "When you sing Whitney Houston, you've got to make it your own and sing it as good or better."

Paula on Fantasia: Something on par with "Excellent" or "It's an honor."

Fantasia's version was sub par to Houston's and Paula didn't call her on it. Randy is just a @#% in how he want's Fantasia to win over everything else.

I really can't understand how some comments of the judges imply that Fantasia has the charisma to be in movies.

Remove ads