Amethyst RPG Cover Art Posted (even more images)

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
Everyone's advice and comments have been appreciated. We have taken some to heart. The cover has been slightly modified to bring out the title more. The PDF should be for sale Midnight, Monday morning with the print the day after. We hope to follow up with expansions and modules but we want to encourage players to create their own original story arcs and not lay one down in detail for them.

The color cover and back cover are done by Jaime Jones from Arenanet. The B+W works were done by Nick Greenwood (including the 2-gun mojo guy), and I don't believe he has worked for White Wolf. I have been told be my staff to not post anymore art and to leave some for the final book. There is quite a bit you have not seen. Don't expect a lot of useless filler images (like a 5-minute sketch of a dog or some cliffs). We went for quality over quantity so there are several pages with no artwork save for the border.

The book will be for sale on RPGNow which will be linked from our main site.

The praise is really fantastic and I have passed them to the artists. Now if only we get as much praise for the writing. (hint, hint).

Oh and yeah, when I received that dragon image...it was originally supposed to be a dragon having a violent reaction to something he ate (serious), but we looked at it and thought he had been hit with a missile. You could go either way on that. :)

nihilimancer.jpg

Equipment2.jpg

tilen.jpg

pagus.jpg

Cergorach

The Laughing One
DiasExMachina said:
Oh and yeah, when I received that dragon image...it was originally supposed to be a dragon having a violent reaction to something he ate (serious), but we looked at it and thought he had been hit with a missile. You could go either way on that. :)
Or... Dragon ate missile ;-)

Dire Bare

Legend
I'm not sure the setting itself grabs me (not a criticism, it's just me), but the art shown so far is truly gorgeous. I hope you guys sell a ton so you can afford lots of color artwork of the same quality for your "2nd Edition"! :)

Oni

First Post
I just wanted to kick in my two cents and say that I really like the B&W artwork. The extra cost/effort is really worth it, good artwork elevates a product to a new level.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Well, I think you may have another convert here!

The brief description really piqued my interest, and I'm always looking for new and exciting settings. (I admit it, I'm a setting whore!!)

And, of course, the art is gorgeous; that goes without saying.

I'll lookinto it to see if my FLGS can order a print copy, otherwise I'll try looking at RPGnow.

It is a pretty damn cool-looking setting, I think (I just love the art).

However, it irks me to find out you had a 3.5/D20 Modern version and you just removed it (and it irks me a mite more than the only way to get it now is thru the Collector's Edition, quote unquote, of the 4e version).

I will but the ruleset, no doubt about it. And I´ll even buy 4e D&D and try to make heads or tails of the new ruleset presentation (irksome as it is) to play Amethyst.

But I just do not like the fact that you just went and pulled the plug of the 3e version just like that.

Well, my two cents there. Sorry if I said something inappropiate.

Dumb question: If I paid more (and I mean a hell of a lot more-doesn't matters to me anycase) would it be possible to obtain a Hardcover version of the 3e and 4e versions?

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
It is a pretty damn cool-looking setting, I think (I just love the art).

However, it irks me to find out you had a 3.5/D20 Modern version and you just removed it (and it irks me a mite more than the only way to get it now is thru the Collector's Edition, quote unquote, of the 4e version).

I will but the ruleset, no doubt about it. And I´ll even buy 4e D&D and try to make heads or tails of the new ruleset presentation (irksome as it is) to play Amethyst.

But I just do not like the fact that you just went and pulled the plug of the 3e version just like that.

Well, my two cents there. Sorry if I said something inappropiate.

Dumb question: If I paid more (and I mean a hell of a lot more-doesn't matters to me anycase) would it be possible to obtain a Hardcover version of the 3e and 4e versions?

Wow...two years between messages, but I still caught it. :)

Let me tell you, it was a tough decision moving to 4th Edition. We just released the 3.5 and the reviews were great (nay, awesome). But let me be honest: The moment 4th Edition was released, 3.5 Amethyst tanked. Sales really dropped. Paizo's 3.75 was still distant on the horizon and one of my writers was really pushing for 4th Edition. When the GSL got announced, we read it over and realized we had a niche. With 4th Edition "resetting the playing field" we had an open arena to do whatever we wanted. 3.5 Amethyst was a retread of 3.5 Fantasy mixed with D20 Modern. It offered very little in crunch. 4th Edition Amethyst offers 4th Edition modern rules, something which currently doesn't exist. Felt like a good career move on our part. We'll see if it pays off.

Now, just to remind, we do offer the 3.5 version as a free PDF for those that pre-order the 4th Edition from Goodman or from your FLGS.

I will say, hand on heart, that Amethyst Foundations is many times better than Amethyst 3.5.

Remove ads