• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Amount of Cantrips

Byronic

First Post
I've noticed something while looking at the Wizard character sheets. Those with 18 intelligent (+4) seem to have 2 cantrips while the Tiefling Wizard (20 Intelligence, +5) had 3 cantrips.

I wonder if this means that you have as many cantrips as your Intelligence bonus -2.

Stalker0

Legend
Byronic said:
I've noticed something while looking at the Wizard character sheets. Those with 18 intelligent (+4) seem to have 2 cantrips while the Tiefling Wizard (20 Intelligence, +5) had 3 cantrips.

I wonder if this means that you have as many cantrips as your Intelligence bonus -2.

In 3e, getting a 20 int gave the wizard a bonus 1st level spell. Its possible a 20 int does a similar thing in 4e, though I actually hope not.

I think there's already a huge advantage to having a big primary stat, it effects all of the wizard's attack AND damage with his spells. If they keep piling on bonuses for a high stat, every wizard will have the absolute maximum for int and people will only play wizard's with races that gain int bonuses.

cthulhus_pinky

First Post
I was wondering about that too. It might be that it was a mistake in the DDXP character sheet, but your theory sounds like a good one, if that is not the case. I just hope that as you raise your int, you will be able to select more cantrips to cast.

I also hope that there will be a fair variety of cantrips in the PHB, given that they have only shown us three and that we know of a forth (prestidigitation). I am kind of hoping for more than that. Cantrips can add a lot of different flavors to a wizard, and lots of fun things to for role playing, though having said that, the cantrips that they have presented so far are quite nice. Mage hand has a multitude of fun uses, and ways to get into and out of trouble. ;)

NebtheNever

First Post
Stalker0 said:
I think there's already a huge advantage to having a big primary stat, it effects all of the wizard's attack AND damage with his spells. If they keep piling on bonuses for a high stat, every wizard will have the absolute maximum for int and people will only play wizard's with races that gain int bonuses.

Remember, though, that we don't yet know what the other builds of Wizard look like.

Perun

Mushroom
We know that the half-elf didn't get his "multiclass" racial power due to the lack of space on the character sheet. It could be that they dropped the third cantrip from the wizard sheet for the same reason.

Regards.

fuindordm

Adventurer
If it is related to Int, it's more likely half the natural bonus rounded up.

So
Int 12 (+1) --> 0.5 --> 1
Int 14 (+1) --> 1.0 --> 1
Int 16 (+1) --> 1.5 --> 2
Int 18 (+1) --> 2.0 --> 2
Int 20 (+1) --> 2.5 --> 3

I don't think they'd want to punish low-Int wizards so severely as to give them zero cantrips.

Byronic

First Post
NebtheNever said:
Remember, though, that we don't yet know what the other builds of Wizard look like.

Somehow I can't quite imagine a Wizard based on anything other then Intelligence. Still, new Edition, anything could happen.

fuindordm said:
If it is related to Int, it's more likely half the natural bonus rounded up.

So
Int 12 (+1) --> 0.5 --> 1
Int 14 (+1) --> 1.0 --> 1
Int 16 (+1) --> 1.5 --> 2
Int 18 (+1) --> 2.0 --> 2
Int 20 (+1) --> 2.5 --> 3

I don't think they'd want to punish low-Int wizards so severely as to give them zero cantrips.

I thought of that one as well but... I'm kinda hoping not. I'd rather that super intelligent Wizards have more cantrips.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Perun said:
We know that the half-elf didn't get his "multiclass" racial power due to the lack of space on the character sheet. It could be that they dropped the third cantrip from the wizard sheet for the same reason.

Regards.

fourthed

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads