• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ampersand Sneak Attack: Alignments

MaelStorm

First Post
With the new Ampersand Sneak Attack! article, I was surprised to see the term "chaotic evil" mentioned again.

Religion: Rogues prefer deities of the night, luck, freedom, and adventure, such as Sehanine and Avandra. Evil and chaotic evil rogues often favor Lolth or Zehir.

Now, I don't know for sure, but I heard, watched, and read many interviews and articles mentioning the fact that alignment was changed in 4E.

For minis, there are now only Good, Evil and Unaligned minis (unaligned being predominant).

So, what is really going on?

Is it going to be:

• Good
  • Unaligned
  • Evil

Or maybe:

• Lawful Good
  • Good
  • Unaligned
  • Evil
  • Chaotic Evil

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Last edited:

devoblue

First Post
I thought we knew, but after that I guess we don't anymore. Although not all alignments necessarily made as much sense as others, I always thought there was a place for LE and CN as well.

Add this one back onto the no idea list.

MaelStorm

First Post
devoblue said:
I thought we knew, but after that I guess we don't anymore. Although not all alignments necessarily made as much sense as others, I always thought there was a place for LE and CN as well.

Add this one back onto the no idea list.

Or will stay unchanged? I mean neutral is not existing anymore I guess.

Darth Cyric

First Post
Alignments as we know them are still around. They just no longer have any effect on game mechanics. Basically, just window dressing. Such a demotion making alignment closer to what it should've been all along: a loose set of guidelines.

MaelStorm

First Post
Darth Cyric said:
Alignments as we know them are still around. They just no longer have any effect on game mechanics. Basically, just window dressing. Such a demotion making alignment closer to what it should've been all along: a loose set of guidelines.

Just like a flavor, or a color!

I guess it will be easier for DM to house rule it.

Glyfair

Explorer
MaelStorm said:
For minis, there are now only Good, Evil and Unaligned minis (unaligned being predominant).
Assuming that a change in the CMG is going to mean a change in the 4E rules has always been a dangerous assumption. The CMG is going to be more simplified in most areas because it doesn't need the depth and RPG has.

Is it going to be:

• Good
  • Unaligned
  • Evil

Or maybe:

• Lawful Good
  • Good
  • Unaligned
  • Evil
  • Chaotic Evil

I'd suggest that there will be the 4 classic alignments (good, evil, chaos, law) that can be combined. There will also be neutral and unaligned. Neutral will be much closer to the old D&D druid "keep the balance between alignments" style. Unaligned will be "doesn't care about any of the alignments."

I agree with Glyfair, to an extent. All the standard alignments in but dropping neutral from the title if necessary (e.g. just Good instead of Neutral Good). Add in unaligned for the most people but I can't see the old fashioned Neutral balance thing staying- never made sense to me.
Soooo:
Good
Lawful Good
Chaotic Good
Lawful
Chaotic
Evil
Lawful Evil
Chaotic Evil
Unaligned

MaelStorm

First Post
mach1.9pants said:
I agree with Glyfair, to an extent. All the standard alignments in but dropping neutral from the title if necessary (e.g. just Good instead of Neutral Good). Add in unaligned for the most people but I can't see the old fashioned Neutral balance thing staying- never made sense to me.
Soooo:
Good
Lawful Good
Chaotic Good
Lawful
Chaotic
Evil
Lawful Evil
Chaotic Evil
Unaligned

Thx, I guess this wraps it up.

So there is unaligned. (nothing)

Or Good or Evil. (white and black)

Or Lawful/Chaotic with either Good or Evil. (shades of gray)

Derren

Hero
I guess we will see:

Lawful Good
Lawful
Lawful Evil
Chaotic Good
Chaotic
Chaotic Evil
Good
Evil
Unaligned

Basically neutral gets just renamed into unaligned. As most people don't read the alignment rules they won't notice that and are satisfied that alignment got "fixed".

MaelStorm

First Post
Derren said:
I guess we will see:

Lawful Good
Lawful
Lawful Evil
Chaotic Good
Chaotic
Chaotic Evil
Good
Evil
Unaligned

Basically neutral gets just renamed into unaligned. As most people don't read the alignment rules they won't notice that and are satisfied that alignment got "fixed".

Only Chaotic or only Lawful? I think this will be very hard to roleplay. Personally as a DM I would house rule it. A 'only chaotic' character is an anarchist by definition IMO. A 'only lawful' character is a Judge Dredd (self-style executioner, lawyer and judge at the same time). Those are very harsh words, I know. Anyway I should see the rule first and judge afterwards if this acceptable.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads