An answer to a question no one asked? A Wonka origin movie.

at least it's not going to be goth angsty/existential like a Burton movie.

Due to how the original movie turned out ron dahl and his estate have never sold the rights to the Great Glass Elevator. So, we get things like this and remakes.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Let's see.

Another Wonka movie. Another Beetlejuice movie. A new Starsky and Hutch series. Cleese apparently announced a Fawlty Towers revival.* Dirty Dancing returns to see if we can put baby in the corner in 2024.

originality-copy.gif

*That will be ... interesting ... considering current culture.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
It's better imo than the I have to inject the Goth aesthetic/angsty into almost everything I make even if it doesn't fit the original Burton
Yeah that has joined Highlander 2 as being a movie that never existed and only exists in half-remembered rumour - kinda like Berenstein Bears and the the Shazaam movie.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah that has joined Highlander 2 as being a movie that never existed and only exists in half-remembered rumour - kinda like Berenstein Bears and the the Shazaam movie.

Yeah imagine if they made Highlander or Matrix sequels.

Saw the trailer on YouTube earlier. Didn't hate it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Let's see.

Another Wonka movie. Another Beetlejuice movie. A new Starsky and Hutch series. Cleese apparently announced a Fawlty Towers revival.* Dirty Dancing returns to see if we can put baby in the corner in 2024.

So, as a counterpoint - the Beetlejuice Broadway Musical is actually quite good. It makes the show actually about death, by addressing the elephant in the room the movie ignores: the death of Lydia's mother.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
So, as a counterpoint - the Beetlejuice Broadway Musical is actually quite good. It makes the show actually about death, by addressing the elephant in the room the movie ignores: the death of Lydia's mother.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not against reboots (there's lot of examples, but I think most people would say the rebooted Battlestar Galactica was better than the original), and I'm not against new material that re-purposes older material (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead was an amazing play before being repackaged with an ampersand into a movie).

But I am somewhat concerned that with the consolidation and commercialization in Hollywood and overall, worldwide, we are seeing that it is getting harder and harder to get original material greenlit ... while re-treads are constantly popping up.

To borrow the quote- Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.

It's really cool when someone does something new with something old. But it's sublime when someone does ... something new.

Remove ads