An answer to a question no one asked? A Wonka origin movie.

As someone who came to the character through the book, I always hated the Gene Wilder version. Depp was closer to how I imagined it, but still not right. Both too American I guess. I would rejuvenate Tom Baker and give him the part.

And I liked Glass Elevator better than Chocolate Factory, but I guess they were unable to negotiate the rights with the estate.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As someone who came to the character through the book, I always hated the Gene Wilder version. Depp was closer to how I imagined it, but still not right. Both too American I guess. I would rejuvenate Tom Baker and give him the part.

And I liked Glass Elevator better than Chocolate Factory, but I guess they were unable to negotiate the rights with the estate.
Apparently, the estate hasn’t been happy with any adaptation of Chocolate Factory and have been loath to license Glass Elevator.

Zardnaar

Legend
Apparently, the estate hasn’t been happy with any adaptation of Chocolate Factory and have been loath to license Glass Elevator.

Even as a kud I never got into his books sane with Dr Seuss.

Some things do cone across as to American (eg GI Joe) perhaps even as a kid.

Shrugs IDK.

Kaodi

Hero
@Dannyalcatraz nailed the thing that was so confusing to me about the trailer: I thought that Wonka having all of these confections that did insane things was supposed to revelatory and part of what was so exciting about winning the golden ticket. But he appears to be revealing his full hand at the very beginning here.

Who wore it better?
FB_IMG_1689822685558.jpg

Sturgeon's Law still applies. 90% of new things are still crap.
So by extension, 90% of past things are crap (because they were new things). Which explains Hollywood on repeat, because only 81% of new old things are crap.

Cycle that enough times and the worst Hollywood crapfest has more or less even odds to be a mega-blockbuster after about six generations.

Remove ads