• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An Evil party... Troublesome?

Ghostwind

First Post
I strongly suggest you pick up a copy of Darkwalkers: The Evil Within as it deals with running evil campaigns and players. It is essentially an evil player's handbook. Right now you can grab the pdf on sale for $7.49 at RPGNow, ENWorld store, or Your Games Now. Or the print copy should be available to retailers this week or next as they are currently shipping to distributors.

GlassJaw

Hero
If you are about to embark down this road, there are two things you need to consider:

1. Your players.
2. The characters' motivations.

The problem with the standard alignment system is that players tend to play the alignments to the extemes: CN is a license to act like an idiot, evil means you steal and backstab each other, LG means you don't kill orc babies, etc.

Youl really have to know your players and decide if you are willing to go down this path. Know what you are getting into.

If you are ok with that, then determine early in the campaign what the movitations of the characters will be. You'll need something to justify why they are working together as a group. Alignment doesn't really matter as long as the game isn't being disrupted or not fun for someone. The game will run much more smoothly if they are all working together towards the same goal, regardless if that goal is good or evil.

Another idea is to remove alignment altogether. This is not as easy in a standard D&D game because many effects are alignment-dependent. I've run many alignment-less games and I find players tend to act more realistically when not playing a pigeon-holed alignment.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Mature and fun players can make an evil campaign a lot more fun - but it keeps the GM a bit more busy as the GM must create a few creative ideas for incentives to go on adventures.

Evil does not have to mean depraved and without any positive qualities.

MonkeyDragon

Explorer
Our evil game just started. There are four players. Three sessions in, and some conflict is already brewing. However, it's not because of evil alignments. It's because of stupid actions.

One player has a tendancy to make choices that are very amusing to him, but not contributive to the group. Things like hiding his abilities and plot knowledge from the party when that information would be useful for everyone to know. Or taking actions in combat that he thinks are hilarious, but don't actually help defeat the encounter. Then there're the arguments out of combat that slow down play and a dozen other aggravations.

Thing is, none of this is because we're playing an evil game. This player does the same sort of stuff all the time. In fact, the whole group is interacting with each other in pretty much the same way as we always do. The only difference is that now the only reason I haven't tried to kill him yet is because I don't know if I can take him without getting killed myself. Usually I don't attack him because it would cause party tension and it's wrong to attack companions.

When it comes down to it, the characters are the evil ones, not the players. But the players are going to be the ones that make or break the game, because they are going to be making the decisions that either make a cohesive group that has adventures and makes stories, or if they're going to bicker.

When your players are making characters, it's ok to tell them what's acceptable in your game and what's not. Tell them to make choices that will result in a group that will work together. Once your troublesome player makes a character who will want to backstab and kill the party, it will be very hard to avoid the "I'm just playing my character!" syndrome.

Remember the golden rule: I will not allow my fun to come at the expense of anyone else's fun.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
the one evil campaign I was going to be a player in melted down before the first session. One player spent a bunch of time on the email discussions of characters bragging about how his character could dominate the entire party, and the DM was agressively railroading already. (My in character description of why my character would choose to hang out with the rest of the group was rejected and replaced with an external threat leaving her with no choice in the matter.)

I don't really have any interest in evil campaigns as a player or DM... I suppose, I might enjoy a punisher like vigilante group who were evil due to the brutality of their methods and a certain lack of concern for mistaken identities and other misapplications of their "justice". Could be cathartic in small doses....

JDJblatherings

First Post
Evil camapign often wind down in a pitiful spasm of infighting. All evil camapigns shoudl be realtively doomed really. Eventually a party of good adventurers are going to turn up and kick thier butt for no othter reason then they are evil.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Ghostwind said:
I strongly suggest you pick up a copy of Darkwalkers: The Evil Within as it deals with running evil campaigns and players.
Interesting. Is there a sample somewhere?

Thanks, -- N

Felix

Explorer
An Evil party... Troublesome?
The Pope in Rome ... Catholic? :p

If it's party infighting you're worried about, there are fewer ways of inviting it into your campaign than running an Evil party. It's nice every now and again to get a short burst of cathartic evilness out and kill someone who looks at you funny, but I find it doesn't make for anything rewarding in the long-term.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
phindar said:
I always thought another good example was the fact that Mother Teresa and Princess Diana died in the same week. PD's coverage far outweighed MT's at the time. And we just had the ten year PD anniversary concert plus book plus about 8 articles in major news magazines (Time, Newsweek,etc). And not that PD didn't do a lot of good work with various charity organizations, but it doesn't quite compare with say, an entire lifetime selflessly devoted to the poor.
PD died unexpectedly in a car crash. MT died entirely expectedly after at least one major heart procedure I had heard about and had been well eulogized in advance as her health faded.

As for which was more "deserving" of long term admiration, the "other side" of MT is out there as well, but would probably earn me a politics and religion related vacation to discuss, so I'll just say I'm not sure your example is that solid.

Remove ads